Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improvements that are needed in GAA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

For all the talk of dominance, Dublin have won 4 out of the last 5 AI by a single point (exl. replays)

There have been massively fine margins in all of these games. Its not like they are blowing everyone away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

largepants wrote: »
    Might I suggest that there is a degree of paranoia here? Most (not all) are bashing the GAA and not Dublin.

To be honest, Im not sure how a thread about improvements in the game, can be properly functional without it being possible to discuss Dublin. Its kinda like having an improvements in the SPL thread where you are not allowed to mention celtic... The topics are connected.

Anyway, some improvements i would suggest is making the sliotar less dense so it cant travel as far.
    And implementing the mark all over the field from dead balls.
    Id also make goalkeepers wait a few seconds after the last ball went out of play before they are allowed kick out a ball. The team that went up the field and tried to score should be given a fair chance on the next play. Maybe a rule where they have to use the same ball unless the umpire deems that a new one is warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭howiya

To be honest, Im not sure how a thread about improvements in the game, can be properly functional without it being possible to discuss Dublin. Its kinda like having an improvements in the SPL thread where you are not allowed to mention celtic... The topics are connected.

Anyway, some improvements i would suggest is making the sliotar less dense so it cant travel as far.
    And implementing the mark all over the field from dead balls.
    Id also make goalkeepers wait a few seconds after the last ball went out of play before they are allowed kick out a ball. The team that went up the field and tried to score should be given a fair chance on the next play. Maybe a rule where they have to use the same ball unless the umpire deems that a new one is warranted.

It's very different to having an improvements in the SPL thread. The equivalent of this thread would be a general thread on improvements in soccer.

On your ideas how many seconds is a few? Even the fastest keepers would be approaching somewhere around 10 seconds.

I'd prefer to see more open play in the 30/35 minutes so wouldn't be in favour of slowing the game down more so wouldn't agree with extending the mark to all dead balls either. Remember, the mark itself can be taken as a dead ball so you could have a situation where it is marked all the way up the field like in AFL. It has worked very well for the purpose it was introduced.

howiya wrote: »
    It's very different to having an improvements in the SPL thread. The equivalent of this thread would be a general thread on improvements in soccer.

On your ideas how many seconds is a few? Even the fastest keepers would be approaching somewhere around 10 seconds.

I'd prefer to see more open play in the 30/35 minutes so wouldn't be in favour of slowing the game down more so wouldn't agree with extending the mark to all dead balls either. Remember, the mark itself can be taken as a dead ball so you could have a situation where it is marked all the way up the field like in AFL. It has worked very well for the purpose it was introduced.

Well the SPL more closely resembles gaelic football at present, than all of soccer in general. All of soccer is played worldwide on a far larger scale, so although you are right in the sense that they are both sports, the scale of the comparison makes is less suitable.

Well as long as it takes for a ball boy to get it back to the keeper I would suggest. If the ball goes over the net or miles off into the crowd, the umpire can release a second ball to the keeper when he feels it is right to do so. It would address this thing where keepers are going for a second ball when the first one is still in the air. Id like to see a ref call a foul for that if they ever brought the ball into play while the first one was still in play.
    Maybe a simpler one would be that the keeper must wait until the ball hits the deck before going for a second ball...

Fair point on the mark. Maybe it could be brought in from play if the ball is kicked from outside the 45 and caught inside 20 metres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Surely there is a happy medium though? A point where guys cant drill balls over from inside their own half but can still score from range? The problem with the sliotar as it stands is it travels too well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Surely there is a happy medium though? A point where guys cant drill balls over from inside their own half but can still score from range? The problem with the sliotar as it stands is it travels too well...

What's wrong with players drilling the ball over from inside their own half? It's a wonderful spectacle of skill on it's own. If there's a lot of resulting wides, then it's scrappy but as long as they're going over, it's lovely to watch. That'd be my 2 cents anyway.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    What's wrong with players drilling the ball over from inside their own half? It's a wonderful spectacle of skill on it's own. If there's a lot of resulting wides, then it's scrappy but as long as they're going over, it's lovely to watch. That'd be my 2 cents anyway.

Id have thought that if it becomes all about long range shooting, then the rest of the game is going to suffer. Fair enough some of the scores are spectacular, but you also get more of guys drilling it in towards the opposition square from their own one. So everyone in the middle is bypassed. Then the defender wins it and does the same thing down the other way. The guys in the middle are just running back and forth.
    An inability to just drive it over everybody makes the thing more interesting and brings out a bit of ingenuity in players as regards moving the ball and getting scores. There is a balance to be found between scores being too hard to get and being too easy to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Id have thought that if it becomes all about long range shooting, then the rest of the game is going to suffer. Fair enough some of the scores are spectacular, but you also get more of guys drilling it in towards the opposition square from their own one. So everyone in the middle is bypassed. Then the defender wins it and does the same thing down the other way. The guys in the middle are just running back and forth.
    An inability to just drive it over everybody makes the thing more interesting and brings out a bit of ingenuity in players as regards moving the ball and getting scores. There is a balance to be found between scores being too hard to get and being too easy to get.

Yeah you have a good point, but does it not also mean that teams can't defend too deep and must engage/ press further up the field. Once they do that, gaps are more likely to open up at the back and goals are possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

One of the best ways of countering the massed defence is to take your kick-out quickly and move the ball upfield with accurate kickpassing to bypass the 14 defenders running back to get in place.

If you require kick-outs to be delayed in order to allow defences to funnel back, you are only giving the more defensive teams another advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

So in a nutshell the main suggestions on 'improving the GAA' are

1. Slow the game of football down and penalise anybody who wants to speed it up.

2. Stop long-range scores in hurling - because seemingly it's more skilful to score from closer in.

The mind boggles at the thought process of some people. You'd nearly wonder are these suggested by fairyball supporters who want us all to appreciate the 'purity' of the 0-0 draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dollar bill

megadodge wrote: »
    So in a nutshell the main suggestions on 'improving the GAA' are

1. Slow the game of football down and penalise anybody who wants to speed it up.

2. Stop long-range scores in hurling - because seemingly it's more skilful to score from closer in.

The mind boggles at the thought process of some people. You'd nearly wonder are these suggested by fairyball supporters who want us all to appreciate the 'purity' of the 0-0 draw.

1.Football is in dire need to speed up,How that happens is tricky,I think a rule which promotes kicking is it key but unsure what that is.

2.I can see the theory behind reducing the distance the sliotar travels as puckouts are travelling into opposition goal mouths now,Takes out too much of the field.Who is to say in a few years time a game could be reduced to who can score most direct from a puck out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

1.Football is in dire need to speed up,How that happens is tricky,I think a rule which promotes kicking is it key but unsure what that is.

2.I can see the theory behind reducing the distance the sliotar travels as puckouts are travelling into opposition goal mouths now,Takes out too much of the field.Who is to say in a few years time a game could be reduced to who can score most direct from a puck out

This there is too much hand passing in football and unlike hurling where they can and do shot and score from everywhere football teams seem to want to nearlly walk it into the net or just have 1 which then means marking that player or the defense swarms people. I will get a few people disagreeing here but hurling is more skillful I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I will get a few people disagreeing here but hurling is more skillful I think

I don't think many will disagree with you as in the GAA it's nearly sacrilege to criticize hurling. I think hurling is more skillful alright if you just consider the fundamentals of the game. In fact, hurling is probably more skillful than all field games in that regard, not only football. Skillful doesn't necessary mean better though.

However, scoring in football would have to be considered more skillful as it's inherently more difficult. Same with accurate passing as well. It really is too easy to score in hurling which takes away from the game somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

New football championship structure should be this.

Leave league as it is.Get rid of the pre-season competitions i.e. O'Byrne Cup etc.

Championship consists of a first round of 16 first round knockout ties with the top 12 teams in the league that year being seeded.

After the first round is over the championship splits in 4 groups of 4 with the top 2 in each group qualifying for the quarter finals.

Benefits of this are.
    Straight knockout for first round which would be exciting
    Counties know exactly when there championship matches will be, no change to the fixtures once they are set.
    More games between the top teams.
    Smaller teams get their shot at one of the big boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

If the sliotar was heavier, would that raise a safety issue? As it is, surely both teams have an equal advantage assuming they have a decent free taker.
    Yeah you have a good point, but does it not also mean that teams can't defend too deep and must engage/ press further up the field. Once they do that, gaps are more likely to open up at the back and goals are possible.

I think you're overstating the effect that a (slightly) heavier sioltar would have; there would still be plenty of long-ranging scoring just not from the massive distances you see now. It would probably only be marginally heavier and it would still be the fast paced, and mostly played-in-the-air game that we have now. Few want to return to the slower shinty style game of the past.

megadodge wrote: »
    Stop long-range scores in hurling - because seemingly it's more skilful to score from closer in.

That's a complete strawman response. Surly having more build-up play and working the ball in, as well as having the ball actually in-play more of the time would only increase the spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭C__MC

Surely an end to pitch invasions at provincial grounds-

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If a football game is as bad as some have been lately it should be called off and the money returned to any poor sucker who paid to watch that dross .

The winner of the tie should then be decided on the Toss of a Coin .

This could also be done after particularly bad games . Money returned to fans and the winner decided on the toss of a coin .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

Absolutely, it's blatantly breaking the rules. It's the main piece of equipment; I would find it hard to believe any other sport would be so lax in enforcing such a fundamental regulation of it's game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭largepants

jr86 wrote: »
    Fully agree

And the 65 has turned into essentially a tap over now for any half-decent free-taker

Way to punish a great defensive block or goalkeeper save that trickles out over the line

Imagine if touching down the ball in your own 22 in rugby automatically lead to a penalty kick for the opposition right under the posts

Maybe a 'Super 11' type 65 could be introduced?

Maybe a 'Super 11' type 65 could be introduced?

What's a 'Super 11' type 65?

Could make then indirect. Or a sideline cut from the corner flag (or maybe the 13m line).

What's a 'Super 11' type 65?

Could make then indirect. Or a sideline cut from the corner flag (or maybe the 13m line).

Was watching hurling Super 11's at weekend. Granted you could only score goals and the pitch was shorter and narrower, the 65 was taken halfway between the goal and the sideline. It was taken like a free to one of three attackers about 30 out and that attacker had to take one touch on the hurley and then shoot. They shooter can be charged down by the defenders who are standing on the goal line until the 65 is taken.

Hope I explained that ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Complete bollocks.

Dublin has always had a much, much bigger population than any other county in the country.

However, in the nearly 30 years from the last Heffo All Ireland to the Pat Gilroy one (1983 to 2011) Dublin won a grand total of one All Ireland. One.

Yet no one gave a two hoots then, about splitting us up.

But they do now? For the good of the game. Yeah right !
    Not true actually-the strategic review committee recommended splitting Dublin in 2001

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

harpsman wrote: »
    Not true actually-the strategic review committee recommended splitting Dublin in 2001

Please don't.

Please don't.

Is there an ongoing attempt on here to gag anyone who says anything mildly negative about Dublin GAA?

It certainly looks like it to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Is there an ongoing attempt on here to gag anyone who says anything mildly negative about Dublin GAA?

It certainly looks like it to me.

Bash away but the splitting talk has put many threads on the scrap heap.

Patww79 wrote: »

So if someone has an opinion that splitting Dublin would improve the GAA it is considering bashing.

Gotcha.

• Advertisement

Bash away but the splitting talk has put many threads on the scrap heap.

I'm not bashing anyone. I'm asking if its someone's opinion that splitting Dublin would be an improvement then why do you consider it bashing?

Advertisement