Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nice HTC one billpay deal (IMO)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

If your a relatively light user (i.e about 20/25 quid a month), Metoer works out better. It costs 229 upfront and 25.41 p/m for 18 months. The extra €30 p/m for 6 months is more than the initial cost difference between the two phones.

So.. If your going to be spending 25€ p/m anyway, dont mind an 18 month contract, and all you can eat is overkill, this is a better deal.

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/bill-pay-phones/htc-one

This is all about the length of the contract for me. Have no desire to ever be in an 18 or 24 month contract with a mobile phone company especially Meteor who I found to be awful when I was with them.

Also, if fatcheese pay up the €30 then the figures work out as follows:

Meteor:
    €229
    +
    18 * €25.41
    = €686.38 total.

O2:
    €129 (€199-20%-€30)
    +
    6 * €55
    +
    12 * €21 (sim only on three)
    = €711 total.

A difference of €25ish over 18 months which I will easily use up in calls, texts and data.

On Vodafone --- 199 up front + 55 x 6months = 529 (without any discounts)

On Meteor ---- 229 up front + 25 x 18 months = 679

How is Meteor cheaper?

I guess you mean O2 not Vodafone? It's not a like with like comparison because one includes service for 18 months and one includes service for 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Atticus Jung

On Vodafone --- 199 up front + 55 x 6months = 529 (without any discounts)

On Meteor ---- 229 up front + 25 x 18 months = 679

How is Meteor cheaper?

Where did i say it was cheaper? But since you pointed it out unless you go for a 10€ p/m deal after the 6 month contract is up, it is.:P

Sorry, just saw your edit.

I stand corrected, that 48 10€ deal is awesome.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've done the maths and this is an outstanding deal.

Sim Free + 48months €20 deal (free calls, texts and 5GB data)
    550 + 20 x 6 = 670

o2 for 6 months with free calls, texts and 2GB data
    160 + 55 × 6 = 490

So basically you are paying €60 less then the phone sim free and getting unlimited calls, texts and data free for 6 months!

The Meteor deal doesn't look good at all, you get 200 minutes, 200 texts and 1GB data:
    25.41 × 18 + 230 = 687.38

If you go for the o2 deal and then switch to the 48 months straight away after the 6 months, then the total cost of ownership across 18 months is:
    20 × 12 + 490 = 730

Ok, this is €43 more expensive then Meteor, but then you are getting far more for your money, with unlimited calls and texts and 2 to 5GB of data for the 18 months, well worth it IMO.

If instead you switch to 48months €10 a month plan, that still gives you more then Meteor (300mins, unlimited texts, 1GB data): it would work out as:
    10 × 12 + 490 = 610

Thus saving you €67 over Meteor and giving you more calls and texts for the full period.

Also the best thing is once you come off the 6 months, you can swap between the 48months plans or any other good deals that might crop up over that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

So i emailed meteor about the cancellation and then saw that I have to wait til Monday to port to o2 so i emailed them 5mins later saying to delay til the 22nd...now I have no service cos they cut me off! :D
    Better get 5e credit to tide me over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

If your a relatively light user (i.e about 20/25 quid a month), Metoer works out better. It costs 229 upfront and 25.41 p/m for 18 months. The extra €30 p/m for 6 months is more than the initial cost difference between the two phones.

So.. If your going to be spending 25€ p/m anyway, dont mind an 18 month contract, and all you can eat is overkill, this is a better deal.

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/bill-pay-phones/htc-one

It's actually a €30/18 month contract but the discount is only applied for 12 months* so you'd have to add an extra €30 on to the Meteor package. Which makes the O2 package a tenner cheaper I think, plus you have unlimited calls etc. for 6 months.

I'm on the €20/month sim only rolling package with Meteor, tempted to change. Good spot by the OP btw.

*sneaky feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

SteM wrote: »
    This is all about the length of the contract for me. Have no desire to ever be in an 18 or 24 month contract with a mobile phone company especially Meteor who I found to be awful when I was with them.

Also, if fatcheese pay up the €30 then the figures work out as follows:

Meteor:
    €229
    +
    18 * €25.41
    = €686.38 total.

O2:
    €129 (€199-20%-€30)
    +
    6 * €55
    +
    12 * €21 (sim only on three)
    = €711 total.

A difference of €25ish over 18 months which I will easily use up in calls, texts and data.
    How will you manage to get the Fatcheese discount AND the -20% new customer discount?

bidiots wrote: »
    How will you manage to get the Fatcheese discount AND the -20% new customer discount?

I don't know if I will. I went through the fatcheese website to O2, ordered the phone, applied the code that I was given and got 20% off. We'll see if the fatcheese payment comes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

At what point do you get the code?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

bidiots wrote: »
    At what point do you get the code?

just enter julychat2013 in caps and validate with your phone number

• Advertisement

i never got a text sent to me with the code so i contacted them on twitter and they said go to live chat but theres no link coming up for me to click on to get onto live chat? its fine for every other means of contact but not live chat, tried 2 browsers. anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Has anybody gotten the fatcheese discount to work as well as the 20% off? Well worth it if you can get the phone for 129 euros.

Had a right nightmare yesterday signing up for the deal online, even with the help of an online assistant. Kept getting declined for whatever reason, and they couldn't tell me why. Called my bank, they said everything was fine their end. Eventually I figured I had to put my old address for my billing address.

After all that, got an email today saying my order has been cancelled. Went on to the website, talked to one of the people and they said I'm only able to go on a pay as you talk deal with them. Crazy considering I've been on a €65 a month contract with Vodafone for the last 18 months.

Might try to sort it in store tomorrow.

Oh yeah, and they have taken my money, and say allow up to 5 days for them to return it.....

just before i click buy its unlimited calls and texts to all networks definitely yeah?

rickyjb wrote: »
    Has anybody gotten the fatcheese discount to work as well as the 20% off? Well worth it if you can get the phone for 129 euros.

only tracked at 25 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Seriously thinking about this offer, currently on Three 30 day sim plan @€;21pm, with a 2.5yearold SE Arc.

Anyone know when the offer ends?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

Thanks OP - ordered mine yesterday - when Customer Care eventually applied the upgrade to my account the price was showing as €369 - when i spoke to the relevant department (after being bounced around) they were able to offer me the handset for €199 on the €55/month deal - i gave the agent the discussed code - he was unable to apply it but gave me €40 credit off my next bill - happy days...

Really hoping to get it today as i placed my order before lunchtime yesterday...

Anyone ordered and received yet?

rochestown wrote: »
    Thanks OP - ordered mine yesterday - when Customer Care eventually applied the upgrade to my account the price was showing as €369 - when i spoke to the relevant department (after being bounced around) they were able to offer me the handset for €199 on the €55/month deal - i gave the agent the discussed code - he was unable to apply it but gave me €40 credit off my next bill - happy days...

Really hoping to get it today as i placed my order before lunchtime yesterday...

Anyone ordered and received yet?

site says 2-4 days

site says 2-4 days

Saw that - but in reality, i was hoping next day...

Hoping was right - just arrived - ordered yesterday at 1.30pm not bad o2!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

bit the bullet and bought it. Thanks to OP for the post.
    Now anyone want to buy an Apple Iphone 3GS with cracked screen, missing volume buttons, mutes every time it touches my ear and sound is like I'm talking in a paper bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

dinneenp wrote: »
    Now anyone want to buy an Apple Iphone 3GS with cracked screen, missing volume buttons, mutes every time it touches my ear and sound is like I'm talking in a paper bag?

Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

dinneenp wrote: »

You have a bright future in advertising!! :D

Getting this deal has turned into a personal battle....

Because I had troubles placing my order, when I finally did, it had me down as placing multiple orders so it was cancelled. I was then told I could order again, but they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again.

I'm already down €160, so don't particularly want to risk another €160 (even though I know it is all returned eventually).

I have spent a lot of time on the phone, and even in an O2 store, but nobody can sort the mess for me. When I left Vodafone, they warned me O2 couldn't deliver the same level of service, maybe they were right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭adcrawley

I didn't bother telling Three at all
    I proceeded with the port on the O2 site
    I will probably have to pay a months notice to Three, I don't mind
    I ported on Sunday and the system told that the port would take place the following friday
    I received the phone on Tuesday and rang O2 to ask them to port it asap as I wanted to use the phone.
    It took about 12 hours to complete.

But I'm a very happy camper today
    robz18 wrote: »
    Should you wait until you receive your new phone before telling Three? I just don't want to be left without any service whilst waiting for my phone to arrive.

I ordered mine on Sunday and received it on Tuesday.
    SteM wrote: »
    Three were fine with the cancellation. They even offered me the phone for free on a 24 month €40pm contract but the O2 offer still worked out cheaper.

Anyone know how long it takes for 02 to send out the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Just out of curiosity, is this phone unlocked out of the box.

unfortunately not
    it was the first thing that I checked.....
    imtdub wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, is this phone unlocked out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

This is a really good deal, going to cancel my rolling contract with meteor and get this when its over.

Probably a long shot, but this is in Silver only? No black phones. I havent seen a black HTC One anywhere, and I think its a way nicer colour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

This is a really good deal, going to cancel my rolling contract with meteor and get this when its over.

Probably a long shot, but this is in Silver only? No black phones. I havent seen a black HTC One anywhere, and I think its a way nicer colour.

Its solid Aluminium- most of the black phones you see are plastic tat.
    There is a second version of the phone available- where the aluminium has been dipped in raspberry red. I'm not aware that any of the Irish carriers have it, though.

Advertisement