Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J4/J5 [Social Rugby] Season 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Well the ground was softening up a bit... But bring your runners with you just incase.

I think contact training was starting last week anyway, so maybe studded boots would do the job.

Hopefully because I'm going straight from work and only have the boots with me. I'm sure I'll be grand. I can't see myself moving at any serious pace or changing direction on a dime!

I knew I was unfit, but wow. I have a LOT of work to do to get up to speed. Pre-season game on Saturday. I reckon the extent of my participation will be clapping, shouting supportive cliches and enjoying a cool beverage or two....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

molloyjh wrote: »
    I knew I was unfit, but wow. I have a LOT of work to do to get up to speed. Pre-season game on Saturday. I reckon the extent of my participation will be clapping, shouting supportive cliches and enjoying a cool beverage or two....

Ha, how'd ye find it, fitness aside? Your hip flexors and quads and feet are gonna hate you today.. Who're we playing on sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Ha, how'd ye find it, fitness aside? Your hip flexors and quads and feet are gonna hate you today.. Who're we playing on sat?[/QUOTE]

Bective away on Saturday. 4 x 20 minute quarters I believe.

Good/bad news from the physio today... Good news is I might be back training sooner than I thought, hopefully next week.

Bad news is I have 6-8 weeks of rehab of an old injury in my left leg to fix compensation. Ugh!

• Advertisement

Ha, how'd ye find it, fitness aside? Your hip flexors and quads and feet are gonna hate you today.. Who're we playing on sat?

Really enjoyed it tbh. The contact part was awkward and I need to do a bit of work there. Will head along on Saturday but won't play.
    Good/bad news from the physio today... Good news is I might be back training sooner than I thought, hopefully next week.

Bad news is I have 6-8 weeks of rehab of an old injury in my left leg to fix compensation. Ugh!

Ah at least you'll be back into it sooner which is good.

shoutman wrote: »
    Bective away on Saturday. 4 x 20 minute quarters I believe.

What time? In Clontarf? Might pop down just to have a look.

What time? In Clontarf? Might pop down just to have a look.

No it's in Donnybrook. Not sure what time though.

Cool, might buzz down also and not play.

Cool, might buzz down also and not play.

Yeah there'll be a couple of us doing that I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Onceawasp

Well what can I say, great night last night was easy to get into and no one took any heed if I took a breather!

In terms of fitness I'm way behind in fact the old fella in the green t (who's name I have forgotten already) over took me on the lap! (ashamed).

With regards to contact I really enjoyed this, again improvements needed but I really enjoy it so I'm sure I will pick it up fast.

Still unsure of a position I will play, some have suggested loose head or even No.8 but I'll let the coaches decide!

I think I'm with the other John on the whole friendly this weekend, but it'll be interesting to come along to see the pre-match routine and see how the lads get on.

In terms of kit I know it's white shirt and shorts with Tarf socks but how strict are they for the games on shin pads and boots? Is it compulsory to wear boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

Onceawasp wrote: »
    Well what can I say, great night last night was easy to get into and no one took any heed if I took a breather!

In terms of fitness I'm way behind in fact the old fella in the green t (who's name I have forgotten already) over took me on the lap! (asked hamed).

With regards to contact I really enjoyed this, again improvements needed but I really enjoy it so I'm sure I will pick it up fast.

Still unsure of a position I will play, some have suggested loose head or even No.8 but I'll let the coaches decide!

I think I'm with the other John on the whole friendly this weekend, but it'll be interesting to come along to see the pre-match routine and see how the lads get on.

In terms of kit I know it's white shirt and shorts with Tarf socks but how strict are they for the games on shin pads and boots? Is it compulsory to wear boots?

Boots are compulsory.. Shin pads are at your own discretion... VERY rarely have I seen players wear them.. I wore one for a game last season to protect an injury..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

In terms of fitness I'm way behind in fact the old fella in the green t (who's name I have forgotten already) over took me on the lap! (ashamed).

You just need white shorts and the clontarf socks, a pair of boots and that's about it

cloneslad wrote: »
    You just need white shorts and the clontarf socks, a pair of boots and that's about it

Where do you get the tarf socks btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Where do you get the tarf socks btw?

In the clubhouse. Ask the bar manager if the shop is closed..... Ps turf socks are not essential any all socks will do but they do look pretty ha

In the clubhouse. Ask the bar manager if the shop is closed..... Ps turf socks are not essential any all socks will do but they do look pretty ha

Well I just need decent footie socks in general. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Well I just need decent footie socks in general. :)

Club shop is open from 6.30 this evening if you fancy popping up.
    They're all out of Club shorts at the minute (they are standard canterbury white shorts but have the bull on them).

As for wearing boots - once there is a drop of rain you will see the necessity for wearing them.

Shin pads/shoulder pads/tights etc are all personal preference.

Gumshield is a necessity though - nothing to ruin a Saturday like a broken tooth - that said the coach Dec is a dentist...

Think this should be turned from J4/J5 thread into the clontarf thread (by the way there is a clontarf social rugby profile/page on facebook somewhere) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

shoutman wrote: »
    Club shop is open from 6.30 this evening if you fancy popping up.
    They're all out of Club shorts at the minute (they are standard canterbury white shorts but have the bull on them).

As for wearing boots - once there is a drop of rain you will see the necessity for wearing them.

Shin pads/shoulder pads/tights etc are all personal preference.

Gumshield is a necessity though - nothing to ruin a Saturday like a broken tooth - that said the coach Dec is a dentist...

Think this should be turned from J4/J5 thread into the clontarf thread (by the way there is a clontarf social rugby profile/page on facebook somewhere) :p

If you see Doug at training, wear as much protection as possible, even if you are on his team, or simply watching training from the sidelines....he will find some way to injure you, and most likely, himself.

Hah! He's a funny lad though. Did a great job on that video too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Onceawasp

Is it right that I am still aching from Monday? Hoping tonight will shake it out of me!

Hopefully get a dry evening again tonight! I will get gum shield on the way home tonight. I will also invest in a pair of boots and get a pair of white shorts/ tarf socks! Anything else will have to wait.

Allez for now.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Is it right that I am still aching from Monday? Hoping tonight will shake it out of me!

Hopefully get a dry evening again tonight! I will get gum shield on the way home tonight. I will also invest in a pair of boots and get a pair of white shorts/ tarf socks! Anything else will have to wait.

Allez for now.....

Did you do anything yesterday? A light jog or swim will help get the blood flowing and shift the lactic acid... unless it's DOMS in which case you'll just need to grim and bare it

Yeah, I was at a fairly decent level of fitness before I started, or so I thought.... There's certain areas I found really got destroyed after the first day, mostly my hip flexors, glutes and groin, hammers and quads were a bit tender too. It's funny, you think you've got to a decent shape until you run around a rugby pitch a few times. :P

Also yeah those aches will go away straight away once you do a warm up I find. If you have a bike it's a good idea to get on that the following day.

I find jumping straight into a warm up game of tip before hand isn't the best idea unless you're used to playing a lot of sports. Stretching is key. It can be fun jumping straight into a game, but I reckon that's how I picked up my current niggle. Do a bit of a jog first, warm up, then stretch, really go after the areas that ache the most, your hamstring especially. You'll feel way more refreshed and loose afterwards as well. Takes 5 minutes and then you can join in.

DIVISION TEAMS DAY
    1 Clontarf 2 Sunday
    2 Dublin University 2 Sunday
    3 Greystones 2 Sunday
    4 Lansdowne 2 Sunday
    5 Old Belvedere 2 Sunday
    6 St Marys College 2 Sunday
    7 Terenure College 2 Sunday
    8 UCD 2 Sunday

1 Blackrock College 2 Sunday
    2 Boyne 2 Sunday
    3 Naas 2 Sunday
    4 Navan 2 Sunday
    5 NUIM Barnhall 2 Sunday
    6 Old Wesley 2 Sunday
    7 Seapoint 2 Sunday
    8 Suttonians 2 Sunday

1 Bective Rangers 2 Saturday
    2 Clontarf 3 Saturday
    3 De La Salle Palmerston 2 Sunday
    4 Lansdowne 3 Saturday
    5 Skerries 2 Sunday
    6 St Marys College 3 Saturday
    7 Stillorgan 1 Saturday
    8 Tullamore 2 Sunday

1 Bective Rangers 3 Friday
    2 Blackrock College 3 Sunday
    3 Lansdowne 4 Friday
    4 Malahide 2 Friday
    5 Old Belvedere 3 Friday
    6 Old Wesley 3 Friday
    7 Rathdrum 1 Sunday
    8 Terenure College 3 Sunday

1 CYM 1 Sunday
    2 Dublin University 3 Sunday
    3 Greystones 3 Friday
    4 NUIM Barnhall 3 Sunday
    5 St Marys College 4 Friday
    6 Suttonians 3 Friday
    7 UCD 3 Friday
    8 Wanderers 3 Friday/Sunday

1 Clontarf 4 Saturday
    2 Guinness 2 Saturday
    3 Lansdowne 5 Saturday
    4 Monkstown 3 Friday
    5 Naas 3 Friday
    6 St Marys College 5 Saturday
    7 Terenure College 4 Saturday
    8 Wanderers 4 Saturday

1 AIB 1 Saturday
    2 Clondalkin 3 Sunday
    3 Coolmine 3 Saturday
    4 Old Belvedere 4 Saturday
    5 Old Wesley 4 Saturday
    6 Parkmore 1 Saturday
    7 Stillorgan 2 Saturday
    8 Tallaght 1 Saturday

1 Blackrock College 4 Saturday
    2 De La Salle Palmerston 3 Saturday
    3 Dublin University 4 Saturday
    4 Greystones 4 Saturday
    5 NUIM Barnhall 4 Saturday
    6 Seapoint 3 Saturday
    7 Terenure College 5 Saturday
    8 UCD 4 Saturday

1 Bective Rangers 4 Saturday
    2 Gorey 3 Saturday
    3 Malahide 3 Saturday
    4 Millmount House 1 Saturday
    5 Swords 2 Saturday
    6 Terenure College 6 Saturday
    7 Unidare 1 Saturday

1 Bective Rangers 5 Saturday
    2 Clontarf 5 Saturday
    3 CYM 2 Saturday
    4 Emerald Warriors 1 Saturday
    5 Monkstown 4 Saturday
    6 Railway Union 3 Saturday
    7 St Marys College 6 Saturday
    8 Terenure College 7 Saturday

1 Clondalkin 4 Saturday
    2 De La Salle Palmerston 4 Saturday
    3 Kilkenny 3 Saturday
    4 Normans 1 Saturday
    5 RCSI 1 Saturday
    6 Stillorgan 3 Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Tallaght in division 7. Not sure if I'm happy or terrified

.ak where is the cut off? Div 6 or 7? We need this to be an exclusive thread for the former J4/5 old boys :P;)

Div 6! :D Infact, Div 6 looks quite tough.... Here's to hoping I only make the Clontarf J5 team. :P

You sure it's Donnybrook? Got a text saying it's home?

You sure it's Donnybrook? Got a text saying it's home?

They def said Donnybrook on Monday. I didn't get a txt myself, but I'll double check this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

ColmH81 wrote: »
    Boots are compulsory.. Shin pads are at your own discretion... VERY rarely have I seen players wear them.. I wore one for a game last season to protect an injury..

If you play front row I'd advise them. I got used to wearing them when playing hooker and would have shattered my shin in Guinesses the season before last against the pitchside railings if I wasn't wearing them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement