Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J4/J5 [Social Rugby] Season 2013/14

Options
  • 12-07-2013 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

May as well start a new thread as some of the clubs should be starting pre-season pretty soon. Feel free to post club info, league info, pre season times and ask questions here etc., etc.

Anyone starting to play this season? Thinking of joining Clontarf, pre-season is in August. Handy spot for me.

UPDATE: Divisions League Fixtures available on post 267

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Still haven't contacted a club yet since moving up. Have a niggly recurring groin injury and unsociable hours at work so may well be joining a j4/5 team. Clontarf only over the road from me too so could be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Still haven't contacted a club yet since moving up. Have a niggly recurring groin injury and unsociable hours at work so may well be joining a j4/5 team. Clontarf only over the road from me too so could be an option

if-you-know-what-i-mean-420x250.png

.ak wrote: »
    if-you-know-what-i-mean-420x250.png

haha, not sure what it is tbh, physio in my club at home told me three or four different things and its never really cleared up, can be fine some days and horrible the next

Would each squad in Clontarf train together?

Not sure. Training starts 3rd week of August AFAIK and on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Will we be sticking with the j4/j5 title or renaming it to J9 and below?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

This is it, the leagues will be changed completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Not sure. Training starts 3rd week of August AFAIK and on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7.30.

Training starts at 7 in clontarf and days last year were Monday and Wednesday. This could change. Both J4 and J5 train together.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

I still don't fully understand the branches logic with the new naming scheme for the leagues..!!

ColmH81 wrote: »
    I still don't fully understand the branches logic with the new naming scheme for the leagues..!!

If it mean the sham that is the j4 cup is done away with it will be worth it .

Why you reckon it's a sham? You reckon teams are rocking out the bangers?

• Advertisement

ColmH81 wrote: »
    Why you reckon it's a sham? You reckon teams are rocking out the bangers?

Well in some cases but my main issue is the gap chasm in standards between J4A and J4D . They don't put J1 and J3 teams in the same cup

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I might be missing something, but when I had a look at what one paper expected the divisions to look like, I couldn't see any difference for us (Seapoint) in either the league or the cup.

Well in some cases but my main issue is the gap chasm in standards between J4A and J4D . They don't put J1 and J3 teams in the same cup

In fairness it was a ****ed up way they had the leagues organised...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 StillorganRFC

Hi Guys

Stillorgan RFC are starting back for pre season this week. We'd be delighted to welcome new faces to the club.

We have 3 teams, playing at J2, J4 and J5 level. Beginners are especially encouraged!

Drop us an email - it'd be great to see you down!

info@dublinrugby.com / www.dublinrugby.com or drop me a PM if interested

Training is Thursdays @ 7pm for July and Tuesdays and Thursdays from August

Cheers

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

After retiring (again) last season, I played in a tournament at the end of May and have the bug again, so looks like the retirement is going back on ice for another season, at 41 there can't be many more retirements left in me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

stephen_n wrote: »
    After retiring (again) last season, I played in a tournament at the end of May and have the bug again, so looks like the retirement is going back on ice for another season, at 41 there can't be many more retirements left in me lol

41 is prime time. In the UK there is a 72 year old playing the game for his club.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2292779/The-oldest-winger-town-Rugby-player-vows-playing-scoring-try-NINETIETH-birthday.html

Need to pick up a new pair of boots and gumshield before preseason. Any recommendations where to look? Last time I bought a pair of boots I was still in school!

Need to pick up a new pair of boots and gumshield before preseason. Any recommendations where to look? Last time I bought a pair of boots I was still in school!

Online anyway, best selection and prices

prodirect is good

Hate buying shoes online! Always end up getting the wrong size.

Lovell Rugby always have decent sales..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Try some on in Elvery's or somewhere then when you decide what you like and the right size, to Lovell or sportsdirect with you!

Eponymous wrote: »
    Try some on in Elvery's or somewhere then when you decide what you like and the right size, to Lovell or sportsdirect with you!

That's what I was thinking. Went into Elvery's in Arnotts and they had feck all. Where has a decent stock of boots to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

That's what I was thinking. Went into Elvery's in Arnotts and they had feck all. Where has a decent stock of boots to try?
    Elvery's at the top of Dawson St is a dedicated rugby store, so they should have a reasonable selection.

Eponymous wrote: »
    Elvery's at the top of Dawson St is a dedicated rugby store, so they should have a reasonable selection.

Savvy, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Great bunch of lads in Clontarf. Plenty of newcomers every year and a good setup when it comes to training and apres match entertainment.

I think with the new league setup things will be pretty messy for the next few years. With only one team going up and down each year, it means that there will still be teams in the wrong league for the next few years, but thereafter everything should balance out.
    I think it's the right step to take but hopefully they will use a bit of common sense after the current season is over and if there is a team who were far to good to be in a certain section, they bump them up more than just the one league, and conversely if a team is no where near the required standard, drop them down more than the one league, should it be agreeable with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

shoutman wrote: »
    I think with the new league setup things will be pretty messy for the next few years. With only one team going up and down each year, it means that there will still be teams in the wrong league for the next few years, but thereafter everything should balance out.
    I think it's the right step to take but hopefully they will use a bit of common sense after the current season is over and if there is a team who were far to good to be in a certain section, they bump them up more than just the one league, and conversely if a team is no where near the required standard, drop them down more than the one league, should it be agreeable with them.

At the same time, there was no visibility last season to how the divisions were decided, so at least this brings some clarity.

Seapoint & UCD finished joint top of our table the season before last and stayed in Div 3, yet teams that finished below us were moved to Div 2.

And then at the last minute they changed from the pre-Christmas league matches deciding the divisions for the 2nd half of the league, to it just being a straight forward home & away league against the same teams for the entire season.

So I don't really see the new format as being that disruptive.

---

@.ak - Personally, I wouldn't bother with anything but a properly moulded gum shield from a dental technician/dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Quick question lads. I'm seriously (and finally) thinking of getting off my lazy arse and picking up a rugby ball. I'm 33 and not the fittest in the world while not being completely and utterly out of shape. I've never played before. The closest I've come is a bit of tag. I'm living in Dublin North West just beyond Blanch but working in town. Can anyone recommend a club?

My main problem is that I'm depending on public transport during the week and most of the J5 clubs are southside so out of the way. The least worst option seems to be Clontarf, but it may well be a 2 bus trip there and back. Are there any other clubs worth checking out that may be a little more towards the north-west?

Coolmine springs to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Eoin wrote: »
    Coolmine springs to mind

Is there much of a difference between J4 and J5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Go to champion sports, find the boots you like and size them, then order them online.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement