Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J4/J5 [Social Rugby] Season 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

So how did the first day back treat you .ak? Did you die?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Teferi wrote: »
    So how did the first day back treat you .ak? Did you die?

Ha, in bits all right! Actually it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I faired alright.

Have to say anybody thinking of joining a club to start playing and haven't made up their mind, I couldn't recommend it enough. The banter was great, I spent most of the evening doubled over with laughter. Great work out without thinking about it really.

My feet are in bits though! Literally. Blisters and sores! I'm hoping that's just because my boots are new, or maybe the cheap socks, also I found because the ground was quite firm that my studded boots wrecked my joints and felt quite cumbersome... Hope the pitch gets softer!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

.ak wrote: »
    Hope the pitch gets softer!

You're in Ireland. Come December, you'll be wearing armbands to training :D

That's what I was thinking. Might but a set if FG studs in the meantime. It felt like the studs were going up through my soul of my foot!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Probably a wise move. It's pretty **** picking up an injury this early in the season. Did my ankle in this time last year and could never really get back into it for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Played my first game on Saturday, and three days later I can barely move. I was pretty surprised, since I'd be relatively fit anyway, but I've never been so crippled after a physical activity in my life. I'm thinking heavy squats and deadlifts the previous day might have been a bad idea! Even pulled a quad muscle while sprinting during the match, but at least it seems to have healed itself to the extent that that leg doesn't feel much worse than my other leg now.

Can't wait for more! :)

Played my first game on Saturday, and three days later I can barely move. I was pretty surprised, since I'd be relatively fit anyway, but I've never been so crippled after a physical activity in my life. I'm thinking heavy squats and deadlifts the previous day might have been a bad idea! Even pulled a quad muscle while sprinting during the match, but at least it seems to have healed itself to the extent that that leg doesn't feel much worse than my other leg now.

Can't wait for more! :)

I'm in bits today! Funnily enough my work out sessions are generally more intense, but I'm not used to putting so much pressure on my joints. Think I'll be concentrating on building strength in my legs from now on, my knees and ankles feel like a 40 year old's today!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I'm in bits today! Funnily enough my work out sessions are generally more intense, but I'm not used to putting so much pressure on my joints. Think I'll be concentrating on building strength in my legs from now on, my knees and ankles feel like a 40 year old's today!

Reckon you're best off wearing runners or astroturf boots for the first few weeks, especially when there is no contact yet.

Last night was definitely an easing back in session, they'll certainly be ramping it up in the coming weeks but thankfully we shouldn't return to the days of just constant sprints and no ball work.

Glad you enjoyed it anyway!

I only have a crappy pair of runners, so would something like this do the trick?

http://www.elverys.ie/Product/Adidas-F10-TRX-Astro-Boot-NavyPurple/220074/0000000983

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I only have a crappy pair of runners, so would something like this do the trick?

http://www.elverys.ie/Product/Adidas-F10-TRX-Astro-Boot-NavyPurple/220074/0000000983

You are better off getting an actual pair of runners; that way you will have something to wear should you have indoor sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

You are better off getting an actual pair of runners; that way you will have something to wear should you have indoor sessions.

We don't do indoor sessions, but those astro boots would be grand for this weather i'd say.

Quick fix is just covering your feet in vaseline, should prevent the blisters anyway....

shoutman wrote: »
    We don't do indoor sessions, but those astro boots would be grand for this weather i'd say.

Quick fix is just covering your feet in vaseline, should prevent the blisters anyway....

Yeah read that online, will defo give it a go.

I'll probably invest in a pair of astro boots and runners, as I do indoor training myself, but astro boots will be the priority! Will pick up a comfy pair this weekend, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Yeah read that online, will defo give it a go.

I'll probably invest in a pair of astro boots and runners, as I do indoor training myself, but astro boots will be the priority! Will pick up a comfy pair this weekend, cheers.

Astro boots would find little grip in even a firm enough pitch. The pitch there is quite grassy also. Would recommend going for a pair of mouldies such as these. Great for any firm grass, I wear mouldies for tag in the Summer and very useful for first few months of the season.

http://www.elverys.ie/Product/Adidas-11Nova-TRX-Firm-Ground-Boot-WhiteRed/220289/0000000605

chris85 wrote: »
    Astro boots would find little grip in even a firm enough pitch. The pitch there is quite grassy also. Would recommend going for a pair of mouldies such as these. Great for any firm grass, I wear mouldies for tag in the Summer and very useful for first few months of the season.

http://www.elverys.ie/Product/Adidas-11Nova-TRX-Firm-Ground-Boot-WhiteRed/220289/0000000605

Cheers chris, do you wear something like that for training also?

Cheers chris, do you wear something like that for training also?

At the moment yeah. They are very comfortable to wear and run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Wish I had invested in a pair of those boots. Went back training yesterday in my winter boots, ground was like concrete. Feet are in shreds, have blisters filled with blood on each foot, ouch!

Bassfish wrote: »
    Wish I had invested in a pair of those boots. Went back training yesterday in my winter boots, ground was like concrete. Feet are in shreds, have blisters filled with blood on each foot, ouch!

Yeah I end up with about 3 pairs a season. Mouldies for tag and early season, a 6 studied boot for normal season here and 8 studied boots for the mankiest of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

Ok lads, sorry to jump in but me and a mate are going to join the local club, never played before, going boot shopping on Sunday.
    What should we be looking out for?
    I'm seeing a lot of firm/soft ground discussion going on here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I bought Canterbury boots last season - very comfy, didn't cut me to shreds at first and have been good in most conditions. Cost about 50 quid in Elverys

Bassfish wrote: »

Tell me about it! My toe is hanging off... Gonna go buy a pair of mouldies or Astros on the weekend, whatever is comfiest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Tell me about it! My toe is hanging off... Gonna go buy a pair of mouldies or Astros on the weekend, whatever is comfiest!

I'm training in my runners tomorrow, would rather a few slips than have my feet torn up like that again. It hasn't rained since so the ground will still be rock hard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd go with the mouldies - you'll probably get more opportunity to use them. I bought a brand new pair of Puma ones at the end of last season and used them for tag and rugby league (in seriously hot & dry conditions), and had absolutely no problems at all.

These ones here: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PUMA-MENS-POWERCAT4-12-R-HG-FOOTBALL-BOOTS-WHITE-ROYAL-TEAM-SIZES-6-12-NEW-/330874140589?pt=UK_Football_Rugby_Boots&var=&hash=item4d09a2b7ad

I had to get a half size up though as that's all they had, and it turned out to be a lucky decision - they are a bit tighter.

Edit: No, no, no. Please at least link instead to a picture of a manky foot.

Ok lads, sorry to jump in but me and a mate are going to join the local club, never played before, going boot shopping on Sunday.
    What should we be looking out for?
    I'm seeing a lot of firm/soft ground discussion going on here

I would say check out the local clubs ground, if it feels firm then buy a pair of firm ground mouldies or astros as youll just be doing running/fitness traing for the first few weeks.. But you'll probably need soft ground studded boots, we've had an usually dry summer, but it won't last, so keep that in mind.

Eoin wrote: »
    I'd go with the mouldies - you'll probably get more opportunity to use them. I bought a brand new pair of Puma ones at the end of this season and used them for tag and rugby league (in seriously hot & dry conditions), and had absolutely no problems at all.

These ones here: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PUMA-MENS-POWERCAT4-12-R-HG-FOOTBALL-BOOTS-WHITE-ROYAL-TEAM-SIZES-6-12-NEW-/330874140589?pt=UK_Football_Rugby_Boots&var=&hash=item4d09a2b7ad

I had to get a half size up though as that's all they had, and it turned out to be a lucky decision - they are a bit tighter.

Edit: No, no, no. Please at least link instead to a picture of a manky foot.

Haha, oops, hit img instead of URL.

Admit it, you loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

mouldies are the way to go.

Anyone got a link to the new layout of the leagues?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 caoimhincentre

mjquinno wrote: »
    mouldies are the way to go.

Anyone got a link to the new layout of the leagues?

wouldnt mind seeing that myself.
    We were talking about it at training last night. apparently if you field an illegal player your team and all the Junior teams in you club will be deducted points.

wouldnt mind seeing that myself.
    We were talking about it at training last night. apparently if you field an illegal player your team and all the Junior teams in you club will be deducted points.

Ormond lad posted up a blog post with an idea of what to expect..
    ormond lad wrote: »
    Rob Murphy on knockon.ie had a look at what leagues would look like and he is probably fairly close to what will happen.
    http://www.knockon.ie/2013/06/21/new-metro-divisional-structures/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 caoimhincentre

Ormond lad posted up a blog post with an idea of what to expect..
    Thanks for posting but bloody firewall in work wont let me access.

• Advertisement

This is the structure the blog in question reckons it'll look like.

Don't know how accurate it is.

NEW DIVISIONAL STRUCTURE 2013-14
    DIVISION | TEAMS | STATUS | DAY
    Division 1 | 1 St Marys College 2 | J1 | Sunday
    Division 1 | 2 Clontarf 2 | J1 | Sunday
    Division 1 |3 Old Belvedere 2 | J1 | Sunday
    Division 1 | 4 UCD 2 | J1 | Sunday
    Division 1 | 5 Lansdowne 2 | J1 | Sunday
    Division 1 | 6 Greystones 2 | J1 | Sunday
    Division 1 | 7 Dublin University 2 | J1 | Sunday
    Division 1 | 8 Terenure College 2 | J1 | Sunday
    Division 2 | 1 Old Wesley 2 | J1 | Sunday