Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Cheensbo wrote: »
    decided to go rooting,

Going to run it with the egr as it is for a while, and then i'll blank it to see which works better.

Very happy with the results, not sure what to do next!

Good work there! Should run better with a blanking plate as you can adjust the af ratio yourself. Stop it blocking up again most importantly.

FMIC and a decat next if it were me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

GvidoR wrote: »
    [...] I got the bulb replaced. Gonna wash it tomorrow.

[...]

Wash the bulb? WHY? :eek:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

joujoujou wrote: »
    Wash the bulb? WHY? :eek:

;)

Don't you know that washing a bulb gets your better visibility in the dark? :pac:

Washed all the crap off the car. I can sleep at night now..... until it gets filthy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Interslice wrote: »
    Good work there! Should run better with a blanking plate as you can adjust the af ratio yourself. Stop it blocking up again most importantly.

FMIC and a decat next if it were me.

The intercooler on it is fairly big as is to be fair, and I dont think the benefits of a front mount would really be seen on this engine, I'd like to put a short side exit on it alright, might have a chat with my pipe-fabbing friend :)

Downside to the increased power is I've now got a bit of clutch slip at full bore, so that's gotta be the next task, I'm looking forward to wrestling with the 250kg gearbox on my first ever clutch change :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

first job done! mobil 5w30 fully synt and a genuine filter.

20150218_173332.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Herself's car popped up with an engine malfunction the other day while she was driving and down on power... So I ran the code reader and it gave fault code P010F.

So inspected engine bay and found a crack in the inter-cooler pipe, taped up as best I could while I waited for the replacement to arrive.. below are a few pics of install of new part.

4B475CEC-6306-48B5-9300-6148F3E1CB24.jpg

0DF65BA0-47CE-4CD8-9EC5-6F95D5D630BA.jpg

B1280B83-92B3-427F-A68B-B080DBC8DABC.jpg

589CDB95-AED3-4D64-B692-D968EB6C1F34.jpg

6907D846-4D71-43A6-9F5C-9FFE0527EE4A.jpg

00C177DC-0BA3-4906-AEF7-5BEDD0B92C21.jpg

F994466D-213E-4866-9E73-C3D5A981F200.jpg

4E4D0D9E-94D3-4D2B-B2F4-AAE8979B8B68.jpg

E9018CAC-7BEB-4230-B158-8F529F00B70E.jpg

27A56C0B-C68C-4636-9EA3-5D7834B2FB5D.jpg

DD09F4D3-04BA-4842-9E04-D2E930B7402E.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Looks like my engine bay, only clean! :cool::P
    Finally sorted out the coolant leak on my CMax (yes, the 1.8TDCI), cost me around €160 for a thermostat housing with seals and the leak has finally stopped! No more need to drag gallons of coolant around with me!
    Can you guess what happened on the way home? The ABS light came on!
    So there's my next job. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

So today this happened, i done my first headgasket!
    Most of this was done with 10/12 and 17 sockets and various extensions

Lettuce start!

Disconnect the battery on the negative side

Take off the bonnet cos its just gona be in the way
    Drain the oil and coolant, take off the lower rad hose for the coolant, oil is a 17 mm nut

Bonnet off!
    35bgoyd.jpg

Then go for the air box and resonator which gives you loads of room and disconnect this pipe from it

4j4bh5.jpg

Disconnect these two lads next, along with your plug leads and any other bits around the distributor

25r1t0p.jpg

Off with your heat shield, drown the manifold nuts in wd40 or similar and carry on

23kozex.jpg

Take the drivers side headlight off, three screws are hidden behind the trim, so with a phillips head i took that off

s1jivr.jpg

un do all the light connections and take the headlight out, come back to your exhaust manifold and get those nuts off without snapping them! Take off your coolant bottle, this sits in a bracket and just comes out, undo the pipes, next take off your distributor, draw a line on it so you can line it up again

jfg9ow.jpg

Undo the nuts and pull it out! put it aside for safe keeping, drop down the exhaust manifold and stick the nuts back on the studs so you wont loose them, take off the rocker cover

2qbhwes.jpg

At this point jack up the car and take off the drivers wheel, its time to do the timing belt! to get the belt theres a cover on it and a bracket going fromt he front of the engine to the rear at the alternator, this is the hardest part, due to 0 space, so this is the fun part, an impact gun is verrrry useful here, otherwise you need to lock the crank with a prybar through a hole in the block beside the flexi in the exhaust, anyways, take off the top mount

ok5sp0.jpg

There's one nut thats a bit awkward to get to on the underside of the mount so attack this from the wheel well

2u7v9ed.jpg

And the first part of the awkward bracket

syw2vb.jpg

At this stage disconnect the fuel injectors and fuel lines, then say hello to half an hour or swearing and cursing, the rear bracket is connected to the alternator and the rear of the engine. A 12mm spanner is your friend here, anyway, the alternator bracket requires some an engineering approach, get a large spanner and fix it to the ratchet and that should work

1073vdj.jpg

Then take off the alternator and power steering belts, both the laternator and power steering pump need to be undone slightly and moved to get the belts off, this give you a clear whack at the rear bracket bolts, take the crank pulley off and set the crank to top dead centre, there's little triangles that line up, its fairly simple to do!

154g51h.jpg

The rear bracket should be either gone or able to be moved, giving you access to the lower timing cover, undo that and undo the tensioner, 12mm nut in the middle and its secured by a spring, so untension it just push it towards the front of the car, slip the belt off and take the spring off its clip

23qrdy.jpg

2n67o0m.jpg

Then undo your headbolts! six in total! And don't forget your throttle cable!

2wqs576.jpg

Next post ahoy!

So once everything is disconnected, Off with its head!! :pac:

27xqwsk.jpg

Headgasket wasnt too pleasant to look at either

30upy7l.jpg

So the head is being sent off for skimming and pressure testing, obviously it needs to be stripped of its remaining parts, fortunately 90% of this is the inttake manifold as everything is built around it, so 6 nuts and off it comes!

2j14sn8.jpg

When taking off the cam pulley, theres a little slot to have it correctly in position, which is handy!

25z5y6g.jpg

And your left with this!

e63h40.jpg

So i cant do much till the head comes back and the parts come in but thats the general jist! car currently looks like this!

vl187.jpg

Finally sorted out the coolant leak on my CMax (yes, the 1.8TDCI), cost me around €160 for a thermostat housing with seals and the leak has finally stopped! No more need to drag gallons of coolant around with me!

Did the thermostat on father in laws 1.8 connect last week, housing had a leak too. €10 from the scrappy and working perfect! Happy days haha

Any idea what caused the ABS?

• Advertisement

Did the thermostat on father in laws 1.8 connect last week, housing had a leak too. €10 from the scrappy and working perfect! Happy days haha

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Strange alright

Yeah there was a pool of coolant sitting in cylinder 2 as well :o

keano25 wrote: »

Most likely dodgy sensor, the driver's side rear one had acted up before due to water ingress and corroded contact. This happened after some work on brakes and replacing rear wheel hubs. Willing to bet that is it again. The problem is intermittent so everything points at dodgy connection. Nothing I'm too worried about. Have driven for 15 years without ABS before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Cheensbo wrote: »
    The intercooler on it is fairly big as is to be fair, and I dont think the benefits of a front mount would really be seen on this engine, I'd like to put a short side exit on it alright, might have a chat with my pipe-fabbing friend :)

Downside to the increased power is I've now got a bit of clutch slip at full bore, so that's gotta be the next task, I'm looking forward to wrestling with the 250kg gearbox on my first ever clutch change :pac:

Feck thats heavy. Hope the clearance is good! Only took the box out of the asti last night. Weighs about 40 at most. Handy enough.

few little jobs around the celica today, in between the showers :)

the wiper arms were very pale and chalky so i whipped them off and gave them a fresh coat of matte black. I also replaced the number plates which were gone fairly yellow, this really freshened up the car imo :)

weathered old arm:
    20150219_140745.jpg

newly painted arms:
    20150219_155610.jpg

old vs. new plates:
    20150219_141639.jpg

fresh front end:
    20150219_155619.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Pedantic here, but, screws AHHHH :mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Was gonna say that but held back

Don't think they're that bad. At least they're covered.
    What you have to do is drive a 00 and put the screw in the middle of the second 0, so it kinda looks like an 08...

The front plate bends with the shape of the bumper so i had to use screws, it kept popping off with tape. Look at the pic of all the plates, the second one down is the old front plate, you can see how curved it is. I used double sided tape for the rear plate :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

What you have to do is drive a 00 and put the screw in the middle of the second 0, so it kinda looks like an 08...

I can't even...

• Advertisement

this picture shows the curve as best i can represent, it isn't huge, but 3m tape wasn't holding it:
    20150219_194355.jpg

and here's the rear, nice and screw-less :pac:
    20150219_194409.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Got my puncture repaired today, look what was stuck all the way into the tyre!

p1243_zps7562c93f.jpg~original

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Re the tape, use some vhb tape. If it ain't the gel type arcylic tape it won't hold on a curved surface.

This stuff.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yuzet-VHB-Very-high-Bond-Clear-Acrylic-Double-sided-attachment-tape-foam-auto-/171412196975?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item27e8f68e6f

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Interslice wrote: »
    Feck thats heavy. Hope the clearance is good! Only took the box out of the asti last night. Weighs about 40 at most. Handy enough.

Clearance is sh1te, 2 subframes to get out of the way, both props, and need rubber arms with the hands of a child to get at the top bolts on the gearbox, it's been suggested to do a body lift just to access them...

I'm Thinking it's beyond me to be honest, besides its going for sale very soon so not sure if it will be worth my time/money to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Testing custom 5 metre long wires and plugs just made up by me for BMW E39, E38, Range Rover, E46, E53, E83 in order to install 2014-2015 BMW iDrive NBT in the trunk. All good. Steering wheel buttons, OBC etc working and all. Fully functional F series iDrive for the old E series chassis :-)

1.JPG

3.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

12.JPG

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Holy crap that's cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Great way to bring an old beamer up to date!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

How does an iDrive system look in an E39?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

OSI wrote: »
    With a camera.....

:o

Get out :pac:

Advertisement