Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Ok now I know ME have definitely come on board with the predicted good weather they have used that hugely exciting phrase "near calm conditions" in their latest forecast!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

leahyl wrote: »
    Ok maybe slight exaggeration!! Tar melting on the roads?! Lol!!

Yeah tar melts on the road, sticky to walk on but you can leave a footprint.

Maybe Cork city is too coastal, but inland it is normal.

Anyway, I wonder how long it will take for Kilkenny's record of 33.3C to be broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

06Z GFS is the hottest run so far, showing temps up to 29.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Don't think there's any danger of that happening for the time being, with high pressure right over us we'd be lucky to break 30C this week, we'd need it to be further north east so it could drag in hot air from the continent for some serious heat. Looks like about 25-28C for most of the week though if it keeps going who knows

Here's the GFS prediction for a week today..

yor.gif

Drought could start to be a concern if this keeps up as well, its already been a very dry summer for much of the country so 10 days of sunshine, low humidity and no rain could start to throw up problems

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I moved out the country (east Galway) to this house in 2006. This has already been the best summer sunrise. Genuinely used the BBQ more in June than the last 3 years put together. And now this ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Feck it anyway heading on holiday this weekend for 2 weeks to tenerife nothing better than ringing home hearing its lashing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Feck it anyway heading on holiday this weekend for 2 weeks to tenerife nothing better than ringing home hearing its lashing

Funnily enough theres nothing more I hate then shaggers ringing home saying 'oh its lovely here now'

As it happens, temps in central Ireland will be 3-4 degrees higher than Tenerife next week, only without the razor sharp wind associated with the Canaries!!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

looking forward to some decent heat next week , possibly the warmest here for a number of years , i think it was 2005 the last time I would consider we got a summer heatwave , i was in the States for the same week back then and was gutted to miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Harps wrote: »
    Don't think there's any danger of that happening for the time being, with high pressure right over us we'd be lucky to break 30C this week, we'd need it to be further north east so it could drag in hot air from the continent for some serious heat. Looks like about 25-28C for most of the week though if it keeps going who knows

Here's the GFS prediction for a week today..

yor.gif

Drought could start to be a concern if this keeps up as well, its already been a very dry summer for much of the country so 10 days of sunshine, low humidity and no rain could start to throw up problems

Dear God I hope not. I will die in my office. No air con, tin roof, allergies and sleep deprivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Lucreto wrote: »
    Dear God I hope not. I will die in my office. No air con, tin roof, allergies and sleep deprivation.

Do you work in Guantanamo Bay ? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Not a hope for a galway heatwave. Im frozen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Do you work in Guantanamo Bay ? :pac:

Summer is my Guantanamo Bay. :D

No all cut backs. The air con never worked to begin with. I dread 30C outside and near 40 in the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

DeCasparisation of Ireland in process

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Not a hope for a galway heatwave. Im frozen here.

Those in the west and north-west will only have to suffer that breezy, drizzly stuff
    for another 24-36 hours or so, then will see a major improvement.

Wonder where will be the first place to record 30c next week ? I'd guess at somewhere in the mid-west, probably on Tuesday or Wednesday, though could happen pretty much anywhere inland as the week goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

The first time in about 10 years I saw tar melting on the roads in Ireland was first week in June this year. I forgot what it sounded like (like driving through a wet road).
    Tar does indeed melt on the roads when it's hot but it's been a long time in Ireland for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Mets radar gone a bit mad

947198_10151521988275878_41645497_n.jpg

Whats the cause of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Wasn't here in 2006 but I distinctly remember tarmac melting in the West of Ireland during the 2003 heatwave. Temps were in the high twenties during that warm spell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The first time in about 10 years I saw tar melting on the roads in Ireland was first week in June this year. I forgot what it sounded like (like driving through a wet road).
    Tar does indeed melt on the roads when it's hot but it's been a long time in Ireland for that to happen.

I remember it well walkin home from school in the 90s during some of those really hot summers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks like nigh on perfect heatwave conditions next week.
    30C will be broken somewhere, and more importantly this spell looks like lasting at least 8-10 days.
    When was the last time we had temps in the high 20's for over a week!!
    Humidity also very high
    Hay fever suffers watch out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Keith96

30C will be broken somewhere, and more importantly this spell looks like lasting at least 8-10 days.
    Humidity also very high

Hay fever? I will go get some tissues....... :(:(:(:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Humidity also very high

Going on the latest GFS I think 30C could be broken somewhere in the midwest as early as Tuesday.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I love this summer already. Just feels like a proper summer, even with the overcast days. :D No ridiculous downpours every. single. day.

patneve2 wrote: »
    Wasn't here in 2006 but I distinctly remember tarmac melting in the West of Ireland during the 2003 heatwave. Temps were in the high twenties during that warm spell :)

Shame there was such a lack of sun. :( There's nothing worse than overcast, hot, humid weather.

Duiske wrote: »
    Wonder where will be the first place to record 30c next week ?

Probably nowhere?

Even in 1995, 30c was pretty rare. High 20s was hit all the time, and isn't that rare, but 30c is an event in Ireland. :)

It only needs to be mid to high 20s for that to happen.

Did you never stick your finger into tar bubbles on the road as a kid?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Probably nowhere?

Even in 1995, 30c was pretty rare. High 20s was hit all the time, and isn't that rare, but 30c is an event in Ireland. :)

Had 31c in Casement in 2006.

Just to note that in 2006 there was about 6 weeks of dry weather prior to the heat arriving...you need very dry ground/earth in this country to get to 30c!

Happened in 2006 where I was.

DOCARCH wrote: »

Yep, it was indeed hit in 2006, but I even remember Met Eireann saying at the time that it's pretty much a once a decade occurence. They're not far wrong, TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

DOCARCH wrote: »

Just to note that in 2006 there was about 6 weeks of dry weather prior to the heat arriving...you need very dry ground/earth in this country to get to 30c!

You also need a warm sea, something that held the temperatures back on the east coast at the start of June. I think they're still below average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I love the anticipation of a change in the weather like this.... love the thoughts of the sun shining and warming up the house!! heard too many people talking about having the heat on or putting on fires... next week it will be all barbecues!

Time to stock up on the sun cream before there is a run on it!

:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement