Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early July: Heatwave Potential

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

You also need a warm sea, something that held the temperatures back on the east coast at the start of June. I think they're still below average.

Well, Spring 2006 was also a cold one too, so I doubt sea temps were significantly better than they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nidgeboy

hope the weather is right country could do with warm sunshine for a while:)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Evelyn ....blocking high.....be careful of the sun .....it burns .....it's happening :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Well, Spring 2006 was also a cold one too, so I doubt sea temps were significantly better than they are now.

Not really.

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2006-spr.pdf
    Mean air temperatures for the season were near or a little higher than normal, but it was nevertheless the coolest spring for between 5 and 10 years. March was a cold month generally, while both April and May were a little warmer than normal. Exceptionally low air and ground temperatures for spring were measured during early March, including a grass minimum value of -16.0°C recorded at Birr on the 3rd, its lowest value for spring since such records began there in 1954. In contrast, temperatures rose close to or above 20°C at many stations for a brief spell between May 10th and 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

km79 wrote: »
    Evelyn ....blocking high.....be careful of the sun .....it burns .....it's happening :D

Its-Happening-Ron-Paul-Rave-Reaction-Gif.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I mentioned to the OH on Tuesday that 'this time next week we could hit 30!' Nearly there at this point, delighted. I have the entire week off work too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

I mentioned to the OH on Tuesday that 'this time next week we could hit 30!' Nearly there at this point, delighted. I have the entire week off work too :D

Saturday looks a bit cuck in the northwest only 17c , only got 16c today, people keep asking me at work when is the heatwave and realistically it is not in the weekend here just the week days and driZzle and fog could yet be stubborn, however the majority will bask

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not really.

....but sort of....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Most people will find the weather too warm as they won't be use to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

This thread is getting me excited! Living in scotland atm so won't get the temps ye are expecting but still its looking great. Got a 3 day music festival starting on the 12 so hopefully avoid the foot deep slurry of mud we had there last year!
    I remember summer 95 well. I arrived home from oz a few days before the munster final so early july i guess? Clare were playing tip, it turned out to be a historic year for the Clare hurling folk of which I was one, a few memorable days out and the sun was shining on the banner county that year :) I remember hitching home from Dublin all replenished in my oz freckly tan, the weather was lovely. I commented on the nice weather to be told "this is the first nice day we've had this year" Well if that was the first it certainly wasn't the last. I dunno how Long a heat wave we got? Seems like it was months of warm weather looking back but must have been at least 3/4 weeks? Skiving off work to throw a tatty foam rugby ball round on lahinch beach with the lds :) ah memories...
    I hope we get a decent spell here but I really hope you guys get a good spell of real hot weather. It seems the younger posters here have never had a hot Irish summer. Nothing like it! Don't forget the factor 30 though! Sunburn is ****e and easily avoided.

• Advertisement

Some exciting thunderstorm potential on the 18Z GFS. It's purely FI but it shows whats possible in this type of pattern.

Only an example below, but there are good conditions for thunderstorms shown on the GFS for every day from Monday to Saturday.

1700 CAPE and lifted index of -6 isn't seen that often in Ireland. Good severe potential.

LmmOmuL.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Auldloon wrote: »
    This thread is getting me excited! Living in scotland atm so won't get the temps ye are expecting but still its looking great. Got a 3 day music festival starting on the 12 so hopefully avoid the foot deep slurry of mud we had there last year!
    I remember summer 95 well. I arrived home from oz a few days before the munster final so early july i guess? Clare were playing tip, it turned out to be a historic year for the Clare hurling folk of which I was one, a few memorable days out and the sun was shining on the banner county that year :) I remember hitching home from Dublin all replenished in my oz freckly tan, the weather was lovely. I commented on the nice weather to be told "this is the first nice day we've had this year" Well if that was the first it certainly wasn't the last. I dunno how Long a heat wave we got? Seems like it was months of warm weather looking back but must have been at least 3/4 weeks? Skiving off work to throw a tatty foam rugby ball round on lahinch beach with the lds :) ah memories...
    I hope we get a decent spell here but I really hope you guys get a good spell of real hot weather. It seems the younger posters here have never had a hot Irish summer. Nothing like it! Don't forget the factor 30 though! Sunburn is ****e and easily avoided.

I remember that year well, it was a scorcher...
    I was out surfing in Lahinch today it's full of Jellyfish first I've seen that many jellyfish since 95

The water is very warm at the moment :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

The 0z GFS shows the high withering away rather quickly after about 7 days or so. Hopefully it's not picked up on a trend. We are on yhe right side of it though in Ireland. Not as good as for the UK. in fact it might be cool and cloudy in eastern england for some of the coming days.

Additionally Met Eireann are talking about a cloudy midweek. So caution needed if you expect wall to wall sun.

I am hoping for at least 4 scorching days here and anything else is a bonus as they say.

Major upgrade for temps today. Possibly 25 C in east according to met.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Cloudy damp and drizzly in Donegal. Enjoy the Sun today all u lucky buggers

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Weathering wrote: »
    Cloudy damp and drizzly in Donegal. Enjoy the Sun today all u lucky buggers

If this helps its over cast and cold in Dublin at the moment. No heatwave here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Beautiful morning in Cork! I have my summer clothes on and am feeling summery!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

leahyl wrote: »
    Beautiful morning in Cork! I have my summer clothes on and am feeling summery!!!

Bikini ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I have mine on to.
    mankini_zps5b9ad26a.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

nice blue skies in Limerick:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If this helps its over cast and cold in Dublin at the moment. No heatwave here anyway.

WTF? A glorious and sunny morning in south Dublin :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Tabnabs wrote: »
    WTF? A glorious and sunny morning in south Dublin :confused:

Same down in wicklow

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Just looking at the temp map on Met.ie there, it must be fairly rare to have a 10 degree difference across the island, no? Today shows 15C for Donegal compared with 25C for eastern Leinster.

Or am I talking shíte? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

vickers209 wrote: »
    Same down in wicklow

Sun blazing in Ringsend

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭velosolex

How come we don't have heat spells and cold waves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Overcast in south-east Meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blue Skies here with a hint of high thin cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Keith96

Early morning cloud and mist have been burnt up quickly.Sun is out and its about 16C in Crumlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

Dreary and Grey in Dundalk :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

WEB_sat_vis_irl.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what all the comments about what the weather is like this morning have to do with the warm weather that isn't due to arrive until around Sunday. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement