Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada vs Ireland, 12:40, TG4

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,034 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

trouttrout wrote: »
    If it was anyone other than POM you can bet no one would be "calling for perspective"

Yes they would. Go back and look at the comments about Madigan/Jackson/Henshaw or any other young player who had a decent run of form during the year for that matter and posters call for perspective when people start having a love in about them (and very few were at the love in levels of that piece).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Yes they would. Go back and look at the comments about Madigan/Jackson/Henshaw or any other young player who had a decent run of form during the year for that matter and posters call for perspective when people start having a love in about them (and very few were at the love in levels of that piece).

Big difference is that while the vast majority of posts relating to those players over the past 12 months have been positive, the opposite is true with regard to POM

He's held up to impossible standards by a lot of people here, some of whom seem to actively revel in his poor performances, and then scream buzzwords like "precious" anytime they're called up on these unfair standards

Same type of thing you see with regard to Heaslip on MF's. People talking down his performance at the weekend being a prime example if you fancy a trip to that cess pit!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think POM gets a bit of a hard deal from people here because he's been mystifyingly held up as some kind of saviour of Irish rugby by the media since he broke onto the scene. Its like all the newspapers got together and decided on a player to hype to bejesus at every possible opportunity.

I think he is a very good and potentially excellent player, but the media coverage of him is out of all proportion to his achievements.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think POM gets a bit of a hard deal from people here because he's been mystifyingly held up as some kind of saviour of Irish rugby by the media since he broke onto the scene. Its like all the newspapers got together and decided on a player to hype to bejesus at every possible opportunity.

I think he is a very good and potentially excellent player, but the media coverage of him is out of all proportion to his achievements.

Certainly an element of that, his confrontational nature and red jersey add to it a bit I reckon!

In reality he's a 23 year old flanker with a hell of a lot of promise but with a lot to learn

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Meh, POM isn't the only one who has that sort of attention. You just have to learn to take the Irish media at a pinch of salt, they all have their preferences.

Are there highlights of this anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I know that some people don't rate POM as highly as others and the media, and I know there was a time where people were scrutinising his tackle count in the 6nations, but other than that I'm struggling to think of a time where POM has been significantly run down. Ronan O'Gara, Niall O'Connor, Conor Murray, Keith Earls, Jamie Heaslip....these are guys that come to mind, but Peter O'Mahony doesn't.

Hagz wrote: »
    I know that some people don't rate POM as highly as others and the media, and I know there was a time where people were scrutinising his tackle count in the 6nations, but other than that I'm struggling to think of a time where POM has been significantly run down. Ronan O'Gara, Niall O'Connor, Conor Murray, Keith Earls, Jamie Heaslip....these are guys that come to mind, but Peter O'Mahony doesn't.

Posters saying Jordi Murphy is better, one poster describing his performance against Wales in the six nations as "disgraceful", posters saying he lacks the physicality for international rugby, posters constantly comparing 23 year old POM with Ferris

That's just off the top of my head but I do think he gets a raw deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,034 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Big difference is that while the vast majority of posts relating to those players over the past 12 months have been positive, the opposite is true with regard to POM

He's held up to impossible standards by a lot of people here, some of whom seem to actively revel in his poor performances, and then scream buzzwords like "precious" anytime they're called up on these unfair standards

Same type of thing you see with regard to Heaslip on MF's. People talking down his performance at the weekend being a prime example if you fancy a trip to that cess pit!

I disagree, the vast majority of the posts relating to POM's performances have been positive. Take earlier for example, from reading I haven't seen anyone being anything other than complementary about his performance they've only questioning his need to get involved in every bit of niggle, especially as captain and then what they see as people overdoing the description of his performances (the latter being the same issue as during the 6 nations when people hailing him as player of the tournament while forgetting/ignoring his middling performances).

Just because someone picks on one aspect of a players play they aren't putting him down completely, for example regularly this season Madigan has had great performances but posters still (understandably) question his game management skills. I don't think anyone has a problem with someone defending POM's niggle or Madigan's game management but when a poster trying to defend him jumps straight to 'you have an agenda', 'you're bitter', 'out to get him' this is when posters leave themselves open to being called precious etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Posters saying Jordi Murphy is better

If I remember correctly that was one poster, and an infrequent poster at that. With hundreds of people posting on here, there's going to be people who have opinions very wide of the mark. What's more, if I remember correctly, the poster was claiming that Jordi Murphy had the potential to be a better player, he was just saying it in a very roundabout way.
    one poster describing his performance against Wales in the six nations as "disgraceful",
    Again, that sentence starts with 'one poster'.
    posters saying he lacks the physicality for international rugby
    I haven't read much of that tbh, but I'll take your word for it.
    posters constantly comparing 23 year old POM with Ferris
    Well as unjust as that may seem, it is only natural isn't it. I mean, Stephen Ferris is who O'Mahony is filling in for. And when/if Ferris gets fit, that's who he'll be competing with.
    --
    The thing that annoys me, and it isn't isolated to O'Mahony, is when posts that are obviously wide of the mark are met with rolled eyes and such. Like for instance, if I'm reading a match day thread and someone posts "Conor Murray's passing is too slow", I'm more likely to see a reply of rolled eyes than any reasonable responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Only got round to watching the game and was struck by a couple of things.

First, I think there were more off-loads in that one game then we seen in the whole 6N's. More of this please, really enjoyed us utilizing a skill that the provinces have been using for a while now.

Second, I'd would love to see a backrow of SOB/Heaslip/TOD in the Autumn. Chaps been brilliant all season and I thought he was excellent against Canada. Plus I think he's exactly the type of 7 Joe likes. Proper ground hog and an excellent support runner.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

JRant wrote: »
    Only got round to watching the game and was struck by a couple of things.

First, I think there were more off-loads in that one game then we seen in the whole 6N's. More of this please, really enjoyed us utilizing a skill that the provinces have been using for a while now.

Second, I'd would love to see a backrow of SOB/Heaslip/TOD in the Autumn. Chaps been brilliant all season and I thought he was excellent against Canada. Plus I think he's exactly the type of 7 Joe likes. Proper ground hog and an excellent support runner.

I would prefer POM to 6 and SOB to 7. Nice mix of ball carrying and ground work. I think POM and Heaslip do plenty on the ground as it is.
    With a full strength front 5 I think it's a pack that could rival any pack in the world. And the POC gets a ridiculous amount of turnovers for a lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Posters saying Jordi Murphy is better, one poster describing his performance against Wales in the six nations as "disgraceful", posters saying he lacks the physicality for international rugby, posters constantly comparing 23 year old POM with Ferris

That's just off the top of my head but I do think he gets a raw deal.

OMFG. trouttrout, you're generally a reasonable, well-balanced poster but will you ever build a bridge over this?

If we start using every off-the-wall, once-off opinion as a stick to beat everyone else with, there'll be chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I would prefer POM to 6 and SOB to 7. Nice mix of ball carrying and ground work. I think POM and Heaslip do plenty on the ground as it is.
    With a full strength front 5 I think it's a pack that could rival any pack in the world. And the POC gets a ridiculous amount of turnovers for a lock.

There's more to be gained though by giving TOD some gametime in a full team. Surrounded by POC, JH and SOB I can see him really shining at the top level.

POM has looked good at 8 in the two games, maybe he should concentrate on that position.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

O Mahony was outstanding the other night not captain material though yet in my mind. Needs another season working with O Connell to see how a captain works with a ref.
    But an inspired performance as indeed were a few others such as McFadden, Toner, McLaughlin and Tuohy.

OMFG. trouttrout, you're generally a reasonable, well-balanced poster but will you ever build a bridge over this?

If we start using every off-the-wall, once-off opinion as a stick to beat everyone else with, there'll be chaos.

You're probably right

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

awec wrote: »
    Meh, POM isn't the only one who has that sort of attention. You just have to learn to take the Irish media at a pinch of salt, they all have their preferences.

Are there highlights of this anywhere?

PM'd ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Advertisement