Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada vs Ireland, 12:40, TG4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Tuohy, Jones, Madigan and POM my pick of the first half anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

trouttrout wrote: »
    Tuohy, Jones, Madigan and POM my pick of the first half anyway

I'd agree with you there. And delighted for Trimble that he got a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Just watched the match there having recorded it.

Canada very hard done by as two Ireland tries should have been brought back; Tuohy led with the forearm and Marshall out-the-back for TOD's try was a mile forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The fcuk was boss doing there? Told to use it and he stands for an age until canada are awarded the scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

mfceiling wrote: »
    The fcuk was boss doing there? Told to use it and he stands for an age until canada are awarded the scrum.

I remember him doing it against Ulster earlier last season, might be that he can't hear with the scrumcap. That time and last night are the only 2 occassions I've seen that rule enforced!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

jm08 wrote: »
    POM should be congratulated for keeping a lid on things because the ref wasn't gong to.

By keeping a lid on things you can only mean not punching someone's head off, because POM basically did everything but that. Keeping a lid on things would be if he stepped back and let the officials deal with things. POM didn't keep a lid on things. In fact he got quite emotional and confrontational.

To suggest that he should be congratulated for his behaviour is embarrassing. Would you rather people on hear spoke in admiration of how mentally strong Peter was for not lamping every Canadian on the field? Rein it in. It's not as though the Canadians were playing dirty. Other than the boot from the scrum-half, which was a tickle compared to what some of our guys have done this season, the Canadian's foul play was restricted to infringements such as not rolling away or not releasing the tackled player etc. There was nothing thuggish about their play last night.

How often do you see Richie McCaw get wound up in a game, and he's often targeted by other teams to a thuggish degree. The answer is very rarely if ever. It's the same as always on this forum. It's either too sweet or too sour. There's people saying POM shouldn't captain Ireland again, and then there's people like you think he should be congratulated for his behaviour last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 33theman33

Delighted to see O'Mahony getting stuck in last night. Led from the front all night. Full of aggression, passion and no little skill, that's what you want from a captain. Heaslip could learn a thing or two from watching last night!!

On a sidenote how loved and respected is Andrew Trimble by his teammates past and present. Everyone from O'Gara to BOD tweeting about him reaching 50 caps and about how good of a guy he is. Nice to see. Great to see him get on scoresheet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

33theman33 wrote: »
    Delighted to see O'Mahony getting stuck in last night. Led from the front all night. Full of aggression, passion and no little skill, that's what you want from a captain. Heaslip could learn a thing or two from watching last night!!

Sigh. Troll alert, everyone.

Just watched the match there having recorded it.

Canada very hard done by as two Ireland tries should have been brought back; Tuohy led with the forearm and Marshall out-the-back for TOD's try was a mile forward.

It wasn't at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Marshall's pass was very dodgy there. Looked forward

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Personally I find it a bit embarrassing to see your captain frequently getting involved in handbags.

This is a very impressive Irish performance. It's a decent Canadian side too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Heaslip could learn a thing or two from watching last night!.

It's a real pity that he's too busy being on a Lions tour at the minute.

Do we really need to have a POM-Heaslip captaincy debate?

This is a very impressive Irish performance. It's a decent Canadian side too

For the first time in a long time I was excited by the team. Forwards brought a lot of physicality, Madigan mixed things up very well and shock horror forwards shifting point of attack when coming around the corner and taking ball from 9 or 10.

Only sticking point I would have is the selections of Downey and Ross, bit short sighted in my opinion.

Impressive performance, Madigan, Jones, Locky, Touhy, Trimble and McFadden all played well but POM was head and shoulders the best player on the field.

It was certainly a lot more expansive than we were used to seeing under Kidney

I was very impressed with Trimble (who could have a big year under Schmidt imo) and Tuohy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭twinytwo

shuffol wrote: »
    Personally I find it a bit embarrassing to see your captain frequently getting involved in handbags.

well there is no rog or deccie to complain about anymore, so i guess this place needs something

tolosenc wrote: »
    It's a real pity that he's too busy being on a Lions tour at the minute.

He's on a Lions tour and POM is in Canada with Ireland simply because Heaslip is a better player with more experience of that is no doubt.

My point is I enjoyed the way O'Mahony led the Irish team last night, thought he did a great job and I think Heaslip could learn a lot from watching it. O'Mahony led from the front and was taking no **** from cheap shot canadian players (how the nine stayed on the pitch after that stamp is beyond me) and a weak ref (constant warnings but no card). In the six nations Heaslip was very poor as a captain.

It's a real pity Afoa is going to be ahead of Fitz because I genuinely think he's better than Ross when fit

He's on a Lions tour and POM is in Canada with Ireland simply because Heaslip is a better player with more experience of that is no doubt.

My point is I enjoyed the way O'Mahony led the Irish team last night, thought he did a great job and I think Heaslip could learn a lot from watching it. O'Mahony led from the front and was taking no **** from cheap shot canadian players (how the nine stayed on the pitch after that stamp is beyond me) and a weak ref (constant warnings but no card). In the six nations Heaslip was very poor as a captain.

escuchar musica

HOw come all your posts have links to dodgy software at the bottom of them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

twinytwo wrote: »
    well there is no rog or deccie to complain about anymore, so i guess this place needs something

Yes I've just been itching for somebody to get under my skin, its an opinion, I like to see a captain set an example and not needing to be held back by teammates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

O'Mahony led by example when the team needed it but as a captain he has an awful lot to learn. I have no problem with him having a go at the Canadian 9 that was a cheap shot and he was right to take him to task but he could do with spending a bit of time with Leo Cullen to learn how to manage the officials. Launching tirades against the officials isn't going to endear yourself to them.

In the end it was comprehensive enough, still a bit of a mixed bag all round but Ireland tried to play good rugby in fairness. Canadian try was very very poor for a side at Ireland's level. However, this was much better than last week. Trimble performed well when the chips were down, McFadden took his tries well, Madigan wasn't perfect but didn't hide and has advanced his claims on this tour, Tuohy and Tommy O'Donnell also did well. Toner has had a decent two games.

Not a perfect tour but a satisfactory end to an awful season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

twinytwo wrote: »

This defensiveness/preciousness from certain posters over saying anything that isn't solely positive about everything related to Munster is seriously getting tiresome.

I would have loved to see POM get that try to finish off the game. Such a ferocious run off the back of the scrum

POM isn't realistically going to captain Ireland or Munster for another few years so I have no real issue with his temperament, which I like, he never goes over the line

I'd agree though that it might turn a ref against him doing it as captain but it's not an issue atm and considering the shift he put in tonight, I can't really fathom how anyone can say him getting involved in a bit handbags is "embarrassing"

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

shuffol wrote: »

Personally I find it inspiring to see your captain leading by example. The standout player in the pack, and provided go forward ball with nearly every carry. I don't buy the idea that a captain has to be this role model saint. Sometimes statements need to be made and last night Ireland needed to show they were not going to be waiting for the officials to stop the late hits and digs. POM had the number of every Canadian forward, they were sick of him by the end of the game. All the minnow sides try to gain a advantage by those less than legal tactics (something I love seeing ) , POM was in my eyes putting a stop to it. And obviously he hasn't a perfect line of communication with officials, that will come with experience, but he leads by example, and was not scared to let the ref know about the Canadian tactics. Good game as a captain in my eyes.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    This defensiveness/preciousness from certain posters over saying anything that isn't solely positive about everything related to Munster is seriously getting tiresome.

Ah come on, do we need to start this ****e again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Ah come on, do we need to start this ****e again

Being a bit hypocritical there, you liked the post that I quoted that clearly implied that this was some sort of tirade against POM like poor ROG and Deccie (who obviously never did anything to deserve a bad word said against them).

Its clear posters prefer different styles of captain. There's no need for posters to start circling the wagons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

POM could certainly have gotten in trouble with a different referee but a different referee wasn't there last night. I'm not a massive fan of his behaviour but he actually very rarely gets penalised for it.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Being a bit hypocritical there, you liked the post that I quoted that clearly implied that this was some sort of tirade against POM like poor ROG and Deccie.

Its clear posters prefer different styles of captain. There's no need for posters to start circling the wagons.

I liked it because I thought it was ridiculous to say that you would be embarrassed by POM last night, complete exaggeration imo

I myself think it would get him in trouble with a diff ref but don't see it as an issue because he's not going to be an Ireland captain for a few years

Advertisement