Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada vs Ireland, 12:40, TG4

Options
  • 15-06-2013 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Teams:

Canada team:

15. James Pritchard (Bedford Blues)
    14. Matt Evans (Cornish Pirates)
    13. Ciaran Hearn (Castaway Wanderers/Atlantic Rock)
    12. Harry Jones (Capilano/BC Bears)
    11. Taylor Paris (SU Agen Lot-et-Garonne)
    10. Nathan Hirayama (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears)
    9. Phil Mack (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears)
    1. Hubert Buydens (Saskatoon Wild Oats/Prairie Wolf Pack)
    2. Ray Barkwill (Niagara Wasps/Ontario Blues)
    3. Jason Marshall (Atlantique Stade Rochelais/BC Bears)
    4. Jebb Sinclair (London Irish)
    5. Tyler Hotson (London Scottish)
    6. Tyler Ardron (James Bay AA/Ontario Blues)
    7. John Moonlight (James Bay AA/Ontario Blues)
    8. Aaron Carpenter (Cornish Pirates) (capt)

Replacements:
    16. Ryan Hamilton (Capilano/BC Bears)
    17. Andrew Tiedemann (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack)
    18. Doug Wooldridge (Lindsay/Ontario Blues)
    19. Jon Phelan (Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue/Atlantic Rock)
    20. Nanyak Dala (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack)
    21. Sean White (James Bay AA/BC Bears)
    22. Nick Blevins (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack)
    23. Connor Braid (Doncaster Knights/BC Bears

IRELAND: F Jones; F McFadden, D Cave, J Downey, A Trimble; I Madigan, I Boss; T Court, R Strauss, M Ross; D Tuohy, D Toner; K McLaughlin, T O’Donnell, P O’Mahony (capt). Replacements: S Cronin, D Kilcoyne, D Fitzpatrick, M McCarthy, C Henry, P Marshall, P Jackson, R Henshaw.

Prediction: Ireland by 15, hopefully more than 10 minutes of actual rugby too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Available on tg4?

I mean internationally. Sorry I've been working long hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I think it's a 1am start, TG4 coverage starts at 12.40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

1. Hubert Buydens (Saskatoon Wild Oats/Prairie Wolf Pack), Ross's opposite number, jesus christ the mind boggles as to why Hagan wasn't given a start

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd say it's more to give some experience to the pack, that second row is fairly inexperienced for example so won't learn much if you field a full pack of inexperienced players.

Tuohy and Toner will learn much more with having Ross and Strauss in there.

Also interesting that Toner and Tuohy start with McCarthy on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Sherry can feel hard done by IMO.. 10 mins vs America then dropped is unfair

• Advertisement

Considering the mare Strauss had with his darts I'd more or less assumed he would start this. Really unfair to have him out of the 23

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

trouttrout wrote: »
    Considering the mare Strauss had with his darts I'd more or less assumed he would start this. Really unfair to have him out of the 23

Cronin got fcuked over the same way the whole 6 Nations in an identical situation with Best, he deserved a run at some point. Strauss is blessed, can't understand why they've kept him (I'm perplexed with most these selections tbh), my only guess is that they know it will be either him or Best starting for the next few internationals and they want to give him as much time as possible in the set-up (he only has 3 caps to date)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Should be an interesting game, if not a technically good one. Canada were streets ahead of Tonga last week for 60 minutes and at stage had a 2 man advantage only to collapse like the twin towers towards the end. While I don't expect them to be in any position of advantage over Ireland this week it will still be worth seeing if they have the wherewithall to make the 80 without a similar retreat.

Our team were poor last week against a technically useful and gallant US Eagles and although this should give some hope to Canada (they are a better outfit) we have too much on field to win this with ease. The main elements of attack will come from their wingers who are very fast in the attack; their pack are less physical yet more efficient at the breakdown so they should see some clean ball if our pack aren't quick to snuff them out and the ref doesn't ruin it again. We hadn't a lot of cohesion but this should be better tonight.

My prediction is 37-19 win to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

If we play like we did against USA, Canada will win a scalp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Teams:

Canada team:

15. James Pritchard (Bedford Blues)
    14. Matt Evans (Cornish Pirates)
    13. Ciaran Hearn (Castaway Wanderers/Atlantic Rock)
    12. Harry Jones (Capilano/BC Bears)
    11. Taylor Paris (SU Agen Lot-et-Garonne)
    10. Nathan Hirayama (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears)
    9. Phil Mack (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears)
    1. Hubert Buydens (Saskatoon Wild Oats/Prairie Wolf Pack)
    2. Ray Barkwill (Niagara Wasps/Ontario Blues)
    3. Jason Marshall (Atlantique Stade Rochelais/BC Bears)
    4. Jebb Sinclair (London Irish)
    5. Tyler Hotson (London Scottish)
    6. Tyler Ardron (James Bay AA/Ontario Blues)
    7. John Moonlight (James Bay AA/Ontario Blues)
    8. Aaron Carpenter (Cornish Pirates) (capt)

Replacements:
    16. Ryan Hamilton (Capilano/BC Bears)
    17. Andrew Tiedemann (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack)
    18. Doug Wooldridge (Lindsay/Ontario Blues)
    19. Jon Phelan (Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue/Atlantic Rock)
    20. Nanyak Dala (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack)
    21. Sean White (James Bay AA/BC Bears)
    22. Nick Blevins (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack)
    23. Connor Braid (Doncaster Knights/BC Bears

IRELAND: F Jones; F McFadden, D Cave, J Downey, A Trimble; I Madigan, I Boss; T Court, R Strauss, M Ross; D Tuohy, D Toner; K McLaughlin, T O’Donnell, P O’Mahony (capt). Replacements: S Cronin, D Kilcoyne, D Fitzpatrick, M McCarthy, C Henry, P Marshall, P Jackson, R Henshaw.

Prediction: Ireland by 15, hopefully more than 10 minutes of actual rugby too
    Ireland against an AIL team with a few of their players on the fringes of one the provinces.

Should be Ireland by 40; but will be Ireland 10.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Disappointed that Marmion hasn't got a look in.

I am disgusted to by Schmidt's blatant Leinster bias

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Ya, really thought he deserved a shot, he's a good player. Harsh on him, this is his third tour with Ireland and he's only got those 10 minutes last week to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Ireland against an AIL team with a few of their players on the fringes of one the provinces.

Should be Ireland by 40; but will be Ireland 10.

It would be a very ill-informed underestimation of Canada's level to compare them to an AIL team. The fact that they have beaten USA, Fiji & Tonga in the last few weeks should be enough of an indication of their merits at international level.

Many of their players are not well recognized at the moment, but they have a very strong group of players both in 15's & 7's. Ireland should win this game of course, but it will be a tough encounter and we shouldn't be so foolish or condescending as to believe it will be a walkover against an AIL standard team.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Balls. I thought this was on earlier. I guess I'll be partaking in The Drunken Thread Part 2 (all be it as a sober contributor).

Should be a decent game. Canada play more rugby than the USA. They're a good side and will be well drilled and will have their basics much sharper than the Eagles. To put things in context, Canada beat Tonga last week who, in turn, disposed of the USA today 18-9.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Jack Fitzpatrick,former leinster 20s and irish schools fullback is over on standby for the canada squad. heavily tipped to be capped by them soon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

1. Hubert Buydens (Saskatoon Wild Oats/Prairie Wolf Pack), Ross's opposite number, jesus christ the mind boggles as to why Hagan wasn't given a start

is Buydens that bad ?? - I guarantee not , the Canadians as are the Americans are tough nuts - they may lack certain skills , but physically they are a match for us - or that would be my first hand experience from playing ther. I actually tip Canada to win.

Ok, I've had five pints. I think I'm ready for this now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Buer wrote: »
    Balls. I thought this was on earlier. I guess I'll be partaking in The Drunken Thread Part 2 (all be it as a sober contributor).

You still have plenty of time to remedy that.

I'm actually looking forward to this one. We can't (surely?) be as bad as the last day, and it'd be nice to see the lads cut loose a bit. A bit of a backlash from the terrible performance last weekend would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

That's some set of team names I'll give them that.

Anybody else slightly disappointed that we won't be able to see 'closer, closer' ref this evening? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

Will be joining you for this one lads. Here's to hoping we see an absolute cracker and everyone else is green with envy in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

P_1 wrote: »

Anybody else slightly disappointed that we won't be able to see 'closer, closer' ref this evening? :p

Gutted tbh, infuriating but entertaining in equal measure, we've actually got a respectable ref this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

No, you're only half way there, keep drinking, when you see 30 green shirts on the field, then you're grand!

I hope you've a few on ice or you'll be semi hungover by half time!

You still have plenty of time to remedy that.

Alas, I'm off the gargle for a couple of months. Combination of considering a return to playing and an impending wedding means I'm making an effort to be able to see my toes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

P_1 wrote: »

Yeah there goes the drinking game :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm gonna try and stay up for this, but I have to wait til 0140 so it's unclear if I'll make it. I have a bottle of wine to help me manage it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Looking forward to the game. Hoping for big performances from Jones, Madigan, O'Donnell & POM

Struggling lads, I can hear the cot calling

• Advertisement

Struggling lads, I can hear the cot calling

ditto...

Advertisement