Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springbok Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

:( This was the year I assumed he was really going to break into the Boks squad. That's rough on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

Looks like Coenie Osty is out now the season with a slipped disk in his back.

2 terrible injuries to 2 new Springboks that have huge potential. Such a shame

Huge derby tomorrow at Loftus between the Bulls and Sharks. I expect this to be brutally physical battle.

Two huge packs and Springbok duals all over the park

Matfield vs Everyone
    Visser vs SP Marais
    Steyn vs Serfontein
    Pieterson vs Basson

should be the highlights especially the Steyn vs Sertontein battle that will more than likely determine the pecking order heading into this year tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Would I be wrong to rate SA pack as the best in the world? Going through the names to pick from I can't see any weaknesses. I've always thought on your a day a team could get after NZ a small bit up front but I just don't see that with South Africa.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Would I be wrong to rate SA pack as the best in the world? Going through the names to pick from I can't see any weaknesses. I've always thought on your a day a team could get after NZ a small bit up front but I just don't see that with South Africa.

I would think the best packs in the world right now are England and South Africa. New Zealand always have a good pack but a dominant pack they do not, but as there backs are so lethal they are rarely going backwards and usually going forwards which is a huge help.

I feel NZ still has the best back row in the game but with McCaw on the way out there is great opportunity now for another team to step up. I have never been convinced about their tight 5 against a team like the Boks. The second rows are a outstanding partnership in normal test matches but have yet have them up em and the front row is vunerable!.

The problem for the Boks is that they have now lost Oosty and PSTD for the year and that is big negative heading into the world cup as prob starters come 2015. Matfield will be watched closely today he has improved a bundle since his first match and it looks like his choice to come back has been an inspired one as he will be playing against Wales injuries aside.

• Advertisement

Steyn playing annoyed after this brutal hit

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Steyn is big guy!

He looks alot bigger than the Aussie backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Great performance by some great Boks today.

Danni Roussow and Juan Smith were simply immense. Such a fantastic effort by 2 great players.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

Looks like he spent his time off in the gym

• Advertisement

Sharks win again but disappointing for The Cheetahs and The Bulls who also lost.

Its been a very poor year for South African teams bar The Sharks. Its worrying.

Some great features on Schalk Burger here folks.

We are starting to build up now to the June Tests, a whole heap of injuries.

Its going to be fascinating to see how Meyer will pick his team. Looks like Etzebeth/Flo are definitely out.

Looks like there may be some issues at number 10 now for June.

Steyn hasnt been very good in France and Goosen/Pollard/Lambie have done very little to hold down a place in the starting team.

.......watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Looks like there may be some issues at number 10 now for June.

Steyn hasnt been very good in France and Goosen/Pollard/Lambie have done very little to hold down a place in the starting team.

.......watch this space.

Ah yeah. You're back to having kicking 10s in SA again. Thought Goosen would fix that but he has stalled. We'll trade you a flyhalf for Bismarck please.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Isnt Lambie due back sooner than expected?

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Ah yeah. You're back to having kicking 10s in SA again. Thought Goosen would fix that but he has stalled. We'll trade you a flyhalf for Bismarck please.

One would hope Bismark is keeping something back as he hasn't carried the ball near as well as in previous years.

I like the look of Pollard, he looks to have something about him if he can keep fit.

damianmcr wrote: »
    Isnt Lambie due back sooner than expected?

Lambie had to nail this year at 10 to be considered for the Boks.

He has not done this unforuntely due to injury and I would see Frans Steyn starting ahead of him for the Boks if it comes to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Lambie had to nail this year at 10 to be considered for the Boks.

He has not done this unforuntely due to injury and I would see Frans Steyn starting ahead of him for the Boks if it comes to it.

The angels would weep. Did you see that Sharks v Brumbies game in the weekend :eek:

I virtually never switch off a game of rugby, but I could not face any more. Virtually the worst game I have ever seen, up there with some of the Italy v Scotland classics of the noughties. Just dire. And Steyn couldn't kick the goals to save himself which totally derailed the Sharks gameplan. Puke rugby.

But yes, usually he is pretty effective, and I won't be surprised to see him get a Springbok start. I suspect SA will struggle this year in the 4N, but come RWC time when all the expats hop back on board, and I still rate you favourites to lift the trophy.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    The angels would weep. Did you see that Sharks v Brumbies game in the weekend :eek:

I virtually never switch off a game of rugby, but I could not face any more. Virtually the worst game I have ever seen, up there with some of the Italy v Scotland classics of the noughties. Just dire. And Steyn couldn't kick the goals to save himself which totally derailed the Sharks gameplan. Puke rugby.

But yes, usually he is pretty effective, and I won't be surprised to see him get a Springbok start. I suspect SA will struggle this year in the 4N, but come RWC time when all the expats hop back on board, and I still rate you favourites to lift the trophy.

I forgot that Franocois Steyn is going to Japan which I believe rules him out of the whole 4N.

I be fairly certain he start Morne Steyn, I wonder will Bakkies be back as there is a lock crisis with injuries at the moment. Possibly stick Alberts in at 4 and add another Loosie maybe Burger/Smith?

• Advertisement

South Africa training squad:

Forwards: Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks), Trevor Nyakane (Cheetahs), Marcel van der Merwe (Bulls), Jannie du Plessis (Sharks), Frans Malherbe (Stormers), Coenie Oosthuizen (Cheetahs), Bismarck du Plessis (Sharks), Adriaan Strauss (Cheetahs), Eben Etzebeth (Stormers), Lood de Jager ( Cheetahs), Victor Matfield (Bulls), Flip van der Merwe (Bulls), Heinrich Brüssow (Cheetahs), Marcell Coetzee (Sharks), Siya Kolisi (Stormers), Willem Alberts (Sharks), Jacques du Plessis (Bulls), Teboho Mohoje (Cheetahs), Duane Vermeulen (Stormers), Schalk Burger (Stormers).

Backs: Fourie du Preez (Japan), Francois Hougaard (Bulls), Johan Goosen (Cheetahs), Marnitz Boshoff (Lions), Jean de Villiers (Stormers), Damian De Allende ( Stormers), Jan Serfontein (Bulls), Juan de Jongh (Stormers), JJ Engelbrecht (Bulls), S'bura Sithole (Sharks), Frans Steyn (Sharks), Lwazi Mvovo (Sharks), Bjorn Basson (Bulls), JP Pietersen (Sharks), Cornal Hendricks (Cheetahs), Willie le Roux (Cheetahs).

English/French or Irish based player not eligble for selection.

Injured players
    Scarra Ntubeni (foot), Chiliboy Ralepelle (knee), Frik Kirsten (neck), Pieter-Steph du Toit (knee), Franco van der Merwe (ankle), Arno Botha (knee), Pierre Spies (bicep), Louis Schreuder (hand), Pat Lambie (bicep), Gio Aplon (elbow) and Jaque Fourie, who could potentially miss the entire Test season because of an ankle injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Is this a new policy or a one off?

damianmcr wrote: »

Is this a new policy or a one off?

Its not a policy, the camp is on this Sunday which meaning players are still with there respective european teams until end of European Cup and domestic leagues.

The squad for the test won't be named for a few weeks yet.

Interesting squad.

9. Du Preez
    10.????? Lambie/Steyn/Pollard
    11. Habana
    12. Frans Steyn
    13. De Villers
    14. Willie le Roux
    15. Goosen

I think they need to accomadate Goosen at all costs. He has the ex factor.....Jan Serfontein JJ Englebrecht Jacque Fourie and JP Pieterson.

Its an incredibly group of players at Meyers disposal....he deserve a huge amount of credit but the Boks should be beaten by no one other than New Zealand.

Also the Brussow pick is fantastic, love him or hate him he has a mongrel element to him a passionate Bok who shows his passion the pitch. Same with Burger and passionate guy who leaves every ounce on the pitch. Kolisi IMO is finished now going forward until after the world cup, he couldnt afford to play as bad as he had and with Burger and Smith back he has fell right down the pecking order.

Brussow to start against the World XV for me with Alberts at 8 and Burger at 6. Rumour also has it now that Andries Bekker will also be considered going forward too which gives more depth at lock.

Need to get more game time into those backup props....Malherbe did well in France last year and need a consistent run at tighthead should JDV get crocked. Also would like to see more the backup loosie's they need more game time....a lot more but Cooenie the heir apparant has missed the majority of the season with a neck injury and whether they are willing to risk him soon is open for debate.

I still think Bakkies Botha needs to be involved and we will see will he be come the 4N....he needs a rest after a long season but if there was ever a more inspirational character or hard nut to teach the young guns he is it. I can't underestimate the physicality he brings to a pack of forwards. The mongrel has been missing from the forwards they have got it back now in spades....time to utilise it!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Interesting squad.

9. Du Preez
    10.????? Lambie/Steyn/Pollard
    11. Habana
    12. Frans Steyn
    13. De Villers
    14. Willie le Roux
    15. Goosen

I think they need to accomadate Goosen at all costs. He has the ex factor.....Jan Serfontein JJ Englebrecht Jacque Fourie and JP Pieterson.

Its an incredibly group of players at Meyers disposal....he deserve a huge amount of credit but the Boks should be beaten by no one other than New Zealand.

DV at 13 is a bit of an odd choice, no? Wouldn't strike me as having the acceleration required for the outside channel currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Brussow hasn't lived up to his early promise. He was one of the Boks' best players in the Lions series.

.ak wrote: »
    DV at 13 is a bit of an odd choice, no? Wouldn't strike me as having the acceleration required for the outside channel currently?

True not pacey but a fantastic leader for that backline to have. Its still quite inexpierenced.

He is still captain so I can't see him being dropped completely.....but with Matfield.......

Brussow hasn't lived up to his early promise. He was one of the Boks' best players in the Lions series.

Been a bit unfortunate because of his size....he has never really been given a chance under Meyer. He is right back to his best form now....altho the Cheetahs got bulldozed by the Stomers just now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭thunderthing

Any chance of Lions 10, Boshoff, getting a game do ye think?"

Advertisement