Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springbok Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

World XV giving the Boks a good lesson at the moment.

Habana assist for Botha.

Habana looking very lively. Le Roux best player on the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

well done Bakkies

Been a dire match so far.

Nothing to write home about.

Du Preez coming on phewwwww

• Advertisement

Clancy never lets the game flow. Jesus...he is frustrating. Whistle happy!

47-13 Final Score.

Poor match, learned very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Actually cannot stand Clancy. Crap ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Chiliboy Ralepelle tests positive for steroids. http://www.thescore.ie/chiliboy-ralepelle-anabolic-steroids-1506983-Jun2014/

Awful news, I have feared for a while that rugby has a drug problem. Hopefully it's an isolated case.

Chiliboy Ralepelle tests positive for steroids. http://www.thescore.ie/chiliboy-ralepelle-anabolic-steroids-1506983-Jun2014/

Awful news, I have feared for a while that rugby has a drug problem. Hopefully it's an isolated case.

Not surprised, the sheer size of some of the South Africans means you have to question if this is all hard work or are they using illegal substances. This is especially prone in my opinion for the guys who are not 6 feet+, they have to compete and the only way they can is by becoming huge as they can't make themselves taller.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

Not surprised, the sheer size of some of the South Africans means you have to question if this is all hard work or are they using illegal substances. This is especially prone in my opinion for the guys who are not 6 feet+, they have to compete and the only way they can is by becoming huge as they can't make themselves taller.

So because saffers are genetically big u want to question the legality of their size?dutch are big,Samoans are big??

marc96 wrote: »
    So because saffers are genetically big u want to question the legality of their size?dutch are big,Samoans are big??

South African school boy rugby is riddled with PED cases.

Only last year a third of all school boys tested (sample of 62) tested for PED in a trial study. The holy trinity of schools Paarl Gym, Greys College and one in pretoria agreed to the study. There even has been reports of some students in the study suffering from kidney failure, heart problems etc due to the use of these PED's.

Its a ticking time bomb in South Africa that has only surfaced in the past few years, thankfully they are moving forward with more rigorous testing and agreement with the Schools but the danger and use is very real.

Just look at the size of some of the under age BOK teams they are bigger than the majority of full International Senior sides.

Frans Steyn has been released by the Springboks at his own request and will not appear in Saturday's showdown with Wales at Kings Park in Durban.

The player advised SARU officials that he did not wish to be considered for the Series, with the Sharks centre explaining his shock decision.

"The environment in the Springbok squad is fantastic and I would like to state categorically that my relationship with Heyneke Meyer, the rest of the management and my team-mates is very good," said Steyn just days before the first Test.

Steyn - who is expected to take up a contract in Japan at the end of Super Rugby - said that he wished for time to reflect on his Springbok future. He indicated he would be available for the Sharks once the June internationals are completed.

"I have spoken at length to Frans and we are happy to accede to his request," said Jurie Roux, CEO of the South African Rugby Union (SARU).

"He has asked for some time to consider his international playing future and we must respect that. Let me make it clear that he has not retired from international rugby, but he has requested a break from it."

Roux added that Steyn had asked for privacy at this time.

"This is not an ideal situation, but, in other instances, sudden player absences through injury are not uncommon and I'm sure Heyneke and the selectors will adapt to his unavailability. Frans is now out of the squad and team management will respect his wish for privacy by not speculating on his decision or his likely return."

Has Steyn lost the plot altogether now or is he worried about his injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Why wouldnt they say that though? Springbok fans would have no problem accepting that. Plus he will return for the Sharks after the break and then continue to play in Japan.

damianmcr wrote: »
    Why wouldnt they say that though? Springbok fans would have no problem accepting that. Plus he will return for the Sharks after the break and then continue to play in Japan.

I find this strange....very strange tbh.

I can't remember any other player to walk out on the Boks.

Some people on other forum's is that he is stopping playing with the Sharks also. Such a talent at such a young age and he hasn't really ever fulfilled it. Such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Obviously it's personal issues. He could be under a lot of stress or something lately and being in and out of international squads constantly may effect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

.ak wrote: »
    Obviously it's personal issues. He could be under a lot of stress or something lately and being in and out of international squads constantly may effect that.

Apparently it's a financial dispute with the union.

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 JP Pietersen, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Gurthro Steenkamp.
    Replacements: 16 Schalk Brits, 17 Tendai Mtawarira, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Lood de Jager, 20 Schalk Burger, 21 Ruan Pienaar, 22 Johan Goosen, 23 Lwazi Mvovo.

Team for Wales, delighted Du Preez is back and Hendricks keeps his position as he was very lively last weekend. Also interesting they dropped the Beast, I wonder is Meyer coming around to the fact that he can be inconsistent but I think its more likely to give him a rest. Also chuffed to see Jan Serfontein get his first start in a proper Test Match. It also interesting that JJ Englebrecht has been dropped completely from last year.

Look this is a proper test team now with the departure of Steyn at 12 thats a great help as he is struggling with an injury. Du Preez at 9 and with that huge physical pack its really starting to take shape with an exciting back 3. So happy now we are moving forward to what the team can be.

On another note I been reading up on Steyn, he is worried about his future with his bad knees but he has not been paid what he thought he would be and hence his move to Japan. I must admit I think Steyn's time has come and gone now, he is struggling with injury and at 27 years of age he is stopping the equally talented Jan Serfontein from making the place his own. Its such a huge shame what has happened to Francois Steyn, he is finished now in the BOK court of public opinion. Just really tragic......it just shows you when you go slightly off track how it can lead you down the completely wrong path.

Welcome to test match rugby

Jan-Serfontein-SA-U20-2012_2783114.jpg

• Advertisement

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 JP Pietersen, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Victor Matfield (c), 4 Flip van der Merwe, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
    Replacements: 16 Schalk Brits, 17 Gurthro Steenkamp, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Lood de Jager, 20 Schalk Burger, 21 Ruan Pienaar, 22 Wynand Olivier, 23 Lwazi Mvovo.

Same as last week bar the obvious changes, good to see Hendricks getting a good run in the team. The JPP experiment is a waste of time for me. Hard to tell what will happen this week, expect the Boks to win but really it could be a grubby 7 point or a 30 point blow out.

I guess we will see Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

What do you think will happen with the quota system Emperor1989?

damianmcr wrote: »
    What do you think will happen with the quota system Emperor1989?

Long way to go yet, the ruling party is a disaster so whatever plans they outline in policy docs have a long way to go before they can or would be implemented.

There are certain selection every year that scratches the head, none this year mind you but the year is long.

Review of Wales Test's

1. Beast (6 out of 10)

Done the simple stuff well and carried a lot per usual, however the scrum was creaky at times.

Skeenkamp 6

Played well today off the bench, was very good ball carrying when he needed to be. Still clear number 2 behind Beast

2. Bismark 6

Hit the Darts really well and was imperious at the back of the maul. Was strong at the breakdown at times but was very average in defense and made very few ball carries that actually resulted in positive yardage. He needs to step forward now to reach the from of 2012/2013

Brits 7.5

Came off the bench, hit his men and ran around like a man on a mission. Very impressed with his display having doubted him previously. Should go to the World Cup if they bring 3 hookers.

3. Jannie Du Plessis 4

Poor Jannie is running in empty now, he never contributed a whole lot around the pitch but his set piece was always relied on.
    Now this test series, was poor in the scrum, fell off tackles. His lineout work is still second to none but it is a concern his ability to keep going at this level now

Coonie 6

Came on looked lively but he needs to start more test matches to really rate him. I think he could be ahead of Jannie this time next year. Meyer prays for them to both stay fit as its bare enough behind. Altho Adriannese was very good against France last year.

4. Botha/Van Der Merve (5,3)

Botha only lasted 40 mins last week and didn't do a whole lot.

Van Der Merve was very poor today, yellow card aside. He didn't contribute anything going forward, his looked fat and off the pace. Place in the squad should be under threat.

De Jager 8

Was the star man in the pack last week for 40 mins. Bullied his opposite number, carried furiously and tackled hard. A real star rising, himself/Etzebeth and Du Toit are looking good for the future.

5. Matfied 6

Effort cannot be denied, always making tackles and working hard. However huge questions about his leadership today. He needed to keep the scoreboard ticking over, instead he went for the jugglar all the time. That only works a few times not every time. De Villers won't have much to worry about after that.

6. Louw 7

Strong over the ball, played really well. Certain to retain his position until the World Cup.

7. Alberts 7

Only until he was missing did we realise how important his is. No go forward ball really until Wales got tired in the last 1/4. Serious work rate. Pray he keeps fit, only lasted 20 today.

Burger 3

A shadow of his former self, offered nothing around the park, whinging to the Ref. Serious questions if he should be even in the extended squad. This might be the end for Schalk....that was poor poor stuff today. Shame

8. Vermulen 7

Again locked in number 8, huge performance in term of effort and desire. Still to reach the peak of last year.

9. Du Preez 7

Fast ball, probed well. Sometimes seemed to lose his geography on the pitch. Needs to work more with his forwards to get that go forward ball. Too many dropped passes.

10. Steyn 4

Only 4 because he kicked superbly from the spot. Defense non existant, showed a nasty side by not jumping on a ball which was a cowards way out. Distribution was also poor....seemed to run more than usual and in fairness his hand off has improved but we pray Pollard starts against Scotland and leads the team next year.

11. Habana 8

Fantastic by Habana, looked for work and was a lethal finisher. Back to his best form.

12. Serfontein 8

Carried hard, wasnt found wanting in defense, a huge step forward for him and delighted for the chap. Has the makings of a top inside center.

13. JPP 5

Defense good, but attacking wise he didn't offer a whole lot. De Villers slots right back in there and JPP may be out of the 22 if Hendricks keep this form going.

14. Hendricks 8

Lovely stuff from Hendricks, ran hard, very elusive runner. Forming a formidable back 3. Defense also stood up. Huge positive.

15. Le Roux 9

Fantastic stuff from the World's best player right now for me. Can do everything, has incredible vision and lightening of the mark. Superb under the high ball and great tactical kicking. Nailed down full back for the RWC. Hope himself and Pollard gets to start a match together this year.

Pienaar, Mvovo, Goosen etc. Not enough time on the pitch.

All the French and English based players can't play next week I believe so we should see a hugely different team. Steyn can't play so Goosen or Pollard will start. Even some of the franchise players can't play. Should be plenty of changes.

The absentees for this weekend Gurthrö Steenkamp (prop), Schalk Brits (hooker), Bakkies Botha (lock), Francois Louw (flank), Morné Steyn (flyhalf), Wynand Olivier (centre) and Bryan Habana (wing).

Possibly we could see JPP move back to wing and JJ Englebrecht move back to center depending if De Allendre is fit. Louw prob will be replaced by Burger which is a huge downgrade. Brussow should be starting on form but that will happen. Second rows possibly could be the same.

I guess all will be revealed during the week.

The International Rugby Board has once again been called on to intervene in the thorny issue of racial quotas in South African rugby teams.

On Monday, SARU president Oregan Hoskins was quoted in the South African press saying "black players, specifically 'African blacks' should be given more chances" in the Springbok team.

Hoskins personally delivered a message to Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer about having a greater representation of blacks in the national team following a meeting with the SA Olympic Committee (Sascoc) in Johannesburg last week.

"I spoke to the coach and he agreed, the time is right for this. I believe we will already see a change or two against Scotland this coming weekend," Hoskins told Afrikaans daily Die Beeld.

Sascoc said that SARU had "made positive strides all round" as an organisation, "contrary to popular perception that SARU has no transformation plans and no transformation process", said chief executive Tubby Reddy.

"We received figures to substantiate SARU's transformation agenda and achievements thus far as well as their footprint around the country. They are clearly focused on creating opportunities for all the people of our country.

"However, we noted that there is still a lack of transformation in the Springbok team hence the perception that SARU isn't transformed or has no intention to transform. It's clear that over the last 20 years in a democratic SARU and in all sport in general, we have not sufficiently addressed the implementation process, to realise the transformation agenda."

Civil rights organisation AfriForum said on Monday that a legal team is preparing to submit an official complaint to the IRB, against the SA Rugby Union's proposed quota system.

AfriForum chief executive Kallie Kriel said IRB rules prohibited racial discrimination and political interference in rugby.

"SARU's instruction to the Springbok coach is a crude form of racial discrimination and an indication that SARU has surrendered to the quota threats of the Minister of Sport, Fikile Mbalula," Kriel said in a statement.

AfriForum's legal team would look into the possibility of opening a case with the International Court for Arbitration in Sport.

Kriel said it was not in the interest of South African rugby, players or the supporters of the sport for SARU to "blatantly contravene" the IRB's rules.

AfriForum supported rugby development, and wanted everyone to have the opportunity to participate in the sport, he said.

"A racial quota system disadvantages all talented players of all races," Kriel said.

"White players are disadvantaged because they are excluded from participation based on their race and the validity of the inclusion of black players in teams is by default suspect."

Hoskins, who is also the vice-chairperson of the IRB, does not appear to be fazed by AfriForum's threats.

"They (AfriForum) have been writing to the IRB for a long time, this is not the first time they are doing it. I'm not going to react to them," he told the Cape Times on Tuesday.

AfriForum's complaint was based on by-law 3 of the IRB rules and regulations. It compels the IRB to prevent any form of racial discrimination in rugby.

Regulation 20 determines that any action in rugby which entails racial discrimination amounts to "misconduct".

The IRB may institute disciplinary steps against any rugby body that violates these rules.

"SARU and government should address their own failure to develop young talent at school level with development programmes rather than playing the numbers game in a top-down manipulation of the sport," said

Starting to raise its ugly head now.

Supposedly Oupa Mohoje, S’bura Sithole, Lwazi Mvovo, Siya Kolisi and Trevor Nyakane to be in match 23 on instruction from SARU. Mvovo and Kolisi were in line for a start without this bull. Nyankane is lazy and shouldnt be in the squad. Sithole is a very promising player and Mohoje is only 20 and is a promising young player. It a shame they have named them now as any cap they get is tainted by racism.

However its not all a negative......a Conservative coach being told to play young players is good. The Boks could lose this, there could be as many as 10 changes from the starting lineup.

1,4,6,7,10,11 will all have to change due to injuries and Europe Clubs pulling players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

South Africa: Willie le Roux, Cornal Hendricks, JP Pietersen, Jan Serfontein, Lwazi Mvovo, Handre Pollard, Fourie du Preez, Duane Vermeulen, Schalk Burger, Marcel Coetzee, Victor Matfield (captain), Lood de Jager, Jannie du Plessis, Bismarck du Plessis, Coenie Oosthuizen.

Replacements: Adriaan Strauss, Trevor Nyakane, Marcel van der Merwe, Stephan Lewies, Oupa Mohoje, Francois Hougaard, Marnitz Boshoff, Zane Kirchner.

Not the quite the massive influx of black players that was being touted, two in the starting line-up and three on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Are racial quotas like this supported in general by the South African public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

South Africa: Willie le Roux, Cornal Hendricks, JP Pietersen, Jan Serfontein, Lwazi Mvovo, Handre Pollard, Fourie du Preez, Duane Vermeulen, Schalk Burger, Marcel Coetzee, Victor Matfield (captain), Lood de Jager, Jannie du Plessis, Bismarck du Plessis, Coenie Oosthuizen.

Replacements: Adriaan Strauss, Trevor Nyakane, Marcel van der Merwe, Stephan Lewies, Oupa Mohoje, Francois Hougaard, Marnitz Boshoff, Zane Kirchner.

Not the quite the massive influx of black players that was being touted, two in the starting line-up and three on the bench.
    Pollard from the U20's?Great future ahead of him.

• Advertisement

Very young squad which is great to see. De Jager is a monster for 20 years of age.

I got my wish of Pollard and Le Roux on the same side......this is going to be great to see how the 2 interact and play off each other. The Boks basically have 2 10's now in terms of distribution and Pollard is a Meyer favorite.

Nyankane (age 24)
    Van Der Merve (age 23)
    Lewis (age 22)
    Mohoje (age 20)
    Boshoff (age 24)
    Coetzee (age 22)
    Pollard (age 20)
    Serfontein (age 23)
    Lood De Jager (age 21)
    Le Roux (age 24ish)
    Coonie (age 23)

Advertisement