Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Hanley wrote: »
    I hope Kev comes on and tells you about his PR plank.

I hope he come on and tells us how he bent an olympic bar with his bare hands....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I have motivational technique utilising the PR plank, you PR or you get the plank combines nicely with the pirate diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Anyone else ever try a plank for max time?

I remember when I was about 15/16 being told that the NZ All Blacks squad had to be able to do it for 3mins. I gave it a go and just about managed it. Granted, I probably weighed about 60kg at the time.

I've no idea what I'd do now. Will give it a go this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I think once you go over 60 seconds, you should drop down to 30s and add weight on your back
    My most ever was 80kg plus BW (100kg) for 30s.
    Tough

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I think once you go over 60 seconds, you should drop down to 30s and add weight on your back
    Tough

How'd you manage to stack 80kg on your back?

I'd imagine it's a challenge worthy of The Krypton Factor.

• Advertisement

Tough

I was just wondering, as a bit of fun. I rarely go over 60s.

Because I train alone most of the time, adding weight is not really an option for me unless I start hassling randomers. I do my core work as a circuit no breaks, and if i'm doing planks they go at the end.

30s with BW after doing 3 other ab exercises is tough going, believe me!

Anyone else ever try a plank for max time?

I remember when I was about 15/16 being told that the NZ All Blacks squad had to be able to do it for 3mins. I gave it a go and just about managed it. Granted, I probably weighed about 60kg at the time.

I've no idea what I'd do now. Will give it a go this evening.

Gave it a go. Got 3 mins. Only got really difficult in the last 30s, and I trained core yesterday.

I reckon 5 minutes is very doable.

About 2 years ago I did planks a lot, pretty much every day or every second day, and after a few months I'd worked up to a 6+ minute hold, so it's definitely doable. Now 2-3 minutes kills me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I got up to over a minute when I was doing them nearly every day, but now 10 slow breaths kills me
    Practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Ahem.

Stuart McGill says planks should be held for 10 seconds tops, for multiple sets.

So my 13 second max planks are even a little bit risqué.

The rest of you guys are just doing it wrong. Do you guys even blah blah blah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I can usually manage to get 20-40kg on my back by myself, after that, you need someone to stack the plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I get far too jealous reading threads here. Today I walked down the town twice(because I left the keys in the front door) and that was too much for my body to do. I've decided it best not to workout until my thyroid is better :(

On the plus side I've also decided not to count calories, or macros and to just eat food. I gets to stuff my face in my fat pants to get healthier!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You could try using a dip belt, doing something like this.
    56.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

GAINS!
    kjdbc.jpg

Also these are my new favourite thing, Mexican Muffins! Its just eggs, oats, turkey mince, small bit of mozarella and peppers and spices. powerful

moeno.jpg

I'll stick the recipe / macros on the blag this evening

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYzwOPefeNhJApKvLZwuCH5QK3b8f6Gw4q-nqSYNTISChnu7iL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Looks a good dinner there!

Those salmon Darnes gonna be an Appetiser?

Daily lols, veracity doubtful
    reddit wrote:
    I go out to lunch with co-workers daily. We're in our late twenties and early thirties. One day, halfway through our meal, a woman took her glass of water and nonchalantly poured it on top of her food, until all her food was sitting in a big puddle. Everyone stopped eating and was like, "What the **** was that?" She was like, "Oh. That? When I'm done eating I pour water on my plate so I won't be tempted to pick at my food." Immediately, all the other women at the table were like, "What a good idea! I'm going to start doing that too." Then within two minutes every other woman had poured their water onto their plates. The guys kept eating for half an hour more.

From then on, it was like an unspoken, passive-aggressive competition between the women: who will be the first to pour their water onto their food? It was ****ing absurd and became this huge joke around the office.

So one day we were at this really nice restaurant, it had won a James Beard award. That day a woman poured her water onto her food after five minutes. The waiter noticed and told the chef. The chef came out and said, "Ma'am, I apologize if there was something wrong with your food. Please allow me to prepare you another dish without charge: anything you like." The girl explained why she poured her water onto the plate and the chef politely nodded and walked away from the table. Later, on our way out, the owner approached us and politely but firmly told us not to return. He said it was an insult to his chef to flood half-eaten plates.

After that the men and women started eating separately. As far as I know the women still flood their plates.

Also places your bets on Hanleys Halloween costume this year:

Hulk an old favourite

or

Thor

Hulk an old favourite

or

Thor

The Emperor and his new clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

W3D4 of Smolov didn't exactly go to plan today.

Finished with;

Squat: 195kg 8x3...

...and 1x6 cos it was after 10pm and I didn't wanna do 2 more sets :D

Scariest part was despite that, and no psyche up at all, I still had 2+ reps in the tank :/

If he keeps lifting like that he'll be thor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

If he keeps lifting like that he'll be thor

He already thinks he is a god...so he is half way there!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Hulk an old favourite

or

Thor

Looks like there's competition for HULK
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/10/29/dont-make-me-hungry/

Anyone know of any good sites on dynamic self resistance exercises? or opinions on it.

and what pray tell are they?

Just exercises where you use one set of muscles to resist another, e.g. if you put your right arm our in front of you, shoulder-high, and push your fist into the palm of your left, resisting with the left, then it works the pec on the right hand side.

Probably loads of other terms for it, you probably already know it by another name, Charles Atlas would have done it so nothing new!

A bit similar to isometrics but with movement. A simple one would be using one hand to push down on the other one doing a bicep curl movement.

Got ya. Look for a book by a guy called Max Alding. He's one of those turn of then century strong men who practiced similiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Got ya. Look for a book by a guy called Max Alding. He's one of those turn of then century strong men who practiced similiar.

Atlas did similar, even trademarked dynamic tension.

I really like the Atlas 12 week course here it is for anyone who hasn't read it.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/CA/Charles_Atlas.pdf

• Advertisement

I really like the Atlas 12 week course here it is for anyone who hasn't read it.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/CA/Charles_Atlas.pdf

I don't face anyone at work. Which is quite useful now, as I run through the exercises for the face.

There's only a 15% chance I'll be committed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement