Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I dream of hitting balls at this stage! Not in the golf mood at all and not sure how can I get myself going again

Head up this way Sunday and we'll fix that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

Gone septic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

rambojon wrote: »
    Gone septic!!
    i was thinking the same thing myself. I hope it comes back to me soon, i did win €80 on the twos, which helps ease the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Today putting was terrible, just couldn't get myself to walk around checking lies in the bitter cold.

Pitching was bad for me, still hit the green every time but not nearly as close as I'd like to have been.

Driver was half decent but way off the toe, have feel like I'm clipping the near side of the ball with the toe to get centre of the clubface.

Iron work was the best today it has been in weeks. After playing with the brothers MP58's I was itching to change. I could strike his better and gave much better confidence over the ball. I couldn't get my hands on a set but I did change to AP2's and love them. I think my old irons may have had an odd lie angle as I feel confident with my 4i and 5i in the AP2's where I never did with the R11's.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Looked out at 1 pm and said , you know what, that doesn't look too bad. So hit Corballis again - seems to be my winter refuge - was blowing strong out there for the first 9 , but improved as the day went on.

Went +8 for front
    and then + 2 for back.

Total +10.

Played the best golf I've played in a a while on back - had 3 good birdie putts in a row ,but made none.
    Changed my putting grip on back nine - well back to the grip I had before Christmas. Felt better.
    So putting the weakest part of my game at moment (33 putts) - 2 3 putts on front. But I felt like I improved a bit there.

Got around to the 1st at about 1650 - and said you know what , wouldn't mind a few more holes. Played 6 more and played the best golf I have played this year. A bloody birdie on 3 - ( a hole that is normally a double) - Drive and 8 iron and made my first putt in what feels like weeks. Was level par for last 6.

So very happy with a big days work done - I think the wind makes me concentrate more. Just happy to turn a little corner. (4 corners and your back where you started (lol)).

No - I only play bad now when I'm with lads from Boards :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

So i had another lesson yesterday and it went very well,

My swing has improved and i asked about my progress so far and Pro said he was very happy, i asked him to review everything so far and he said he knows im putting the work in as he can see the results,

Ive corrected alot so far: Right Knee locking up , Grip too strong, Poor Posture, Hip Sway, Alinement too open, Flying elbow , Early Release (could be bit better)

Finally starting to feel abit of confidence playing, Hope to be set for the Boards outting in Roscrea :)

I still plan to keep swinging whenever i can just to drill it in,

Next thing now is to work on early extension and clearing my hips,

All n all happy with progress just have to be patient :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Been struggling with chipping for years. Yips and boning. Awful stuff. Have put fair bit of time into it in last few seasons, often breaks down under pressurem. think I have finally turned the corner now, 4 up and downs plus one chip in today in nine holes. Still feel stressed over some of them but didnt jip/bone any, and have developed a go-to setup/shot as well as a more delicate touch based shot for when I doubt myself. The amswer for me is soooo many chips from carpet onto couch at home. And accepting I might hit a few bad ones but that I'll also hit more good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Since iv changed my grip my game has really improved . Id even go as far as to call myself "A Golfer" now ðŸ˜႒.

But im really struggling with chip shots , the ones that are too long out to play a bump and run . Or the dreaded 20 yards off the green but have to go over a bunker .

The club i Joined has a chipping area so i plan on putting the work into this part of my game . But will try the chipping onto sofá drill this evening .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Since iv changed my grip my game has really improved . Id even go as far as to call myself "A Golfer" now ðŸ˜႒.

But im really struggling with chip shots , the ones that are too long out to play a bump and run . Or the dreaded 20 yards off the green but have to go over a bunker .

The club i Joined has a chipping area so i plan on putting the work into this part of my game . But will try the chipping onto sofá drill this evening .
    I found keeping my arms close to body especially right arm on chest and make sure hands are relaxed. Turn away with arms snd body and make sure to keep eye on ball on way back and thru the strike. My go to shot is to ensure right arm is straight which results in very few moving parts. Dont hot with ur hamds!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Dossy wrote: »
    So i had another lesson yesterday and it went very well,

My swing has improved and i asked about my progress so far and Pro said he was very happy, i asked him to review everything so far and he said he knows im putting the work in as he can see the results,

Ive corrected alot so far: Right Knee locking up , Grip too strong, Poor Posture, Hip Sway, Alinement too open, Flying elbow , Early Release (could be bit better)

Finally starting to feel abit of confidence playing, Hope to be set for the Boards outting in Roscrea :)

I still plan to keep swinging whenever i can just to drill it in,

Next thing now is to work on early extension and clearing my hips,

All n all happy with progress just have to be patient :)

I struggle with right knee locking, what did he advise ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

I struggle with right knee locking, what did he advise ?

I had a habbit of doing a stack and tilt (putting weight on my left leg) This caused me to straight my right knee slightly and the during the backswing it straighted even more and started to lock,

He gave me a drill to work on right knee and right hip turn, more right hip cos he said it basically will correct the knee, slow take back and just before club levels turn in right hip (right hip only not supposed to turn left hip front VERY HARD to do) This will help for both right knee and accuracy cos hip turn in is very important, at the start i did a bit more knee flex when i was practing to help keep the bend,
    Another thing i did was to not swing hard at the ball i had a habbit of this, more of an easy swing, this was just me tho

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Playing cat it must be said. So frustrating. Got a couple of lessons over the winter and I'm just struggling with them. Yesterday was my first day at the course in probably a month but I'd been to the range plenty of times. However I wasn't hitting it well at the range so wasn't confident for yesterday really.

But ya those lessons don't seem to be working, I'm generally a quick learner and I've had the same teacher for a couple of years so he knows me well but I think this time he just changed too much and I can't seem to get used to the changes at all. I'll stick it out for another couple of weeks anyway but it's annoying. Because thinking back on it, I genuinely didn't hit one iron shot or driver I was happy with yesterday, hit a few good fairway woods and hybrids alright.

The thing was despite playing so bad my score was +9 which given the wind wasn't outrageously bad but playing like I did just meant I didn't enjoy it one bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Not too bad tbh but going into hospital Wednesday for vein stripping of my legs. Thought i maybe only out for 2 weeks but people are now telling me i could be out for 5-6 weeks. Was meant to play tralee and dooks in April. Bummed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Not too bad tbh but going into hospital Wednesday for vein stripping of my legs. Thought i maybe only out for 2 weeks but people are now telling me i could be out for 5-6 weeks. Was meant to play tralee and dooks in April. Bummed out.

sorry to hear the news Scrubber. Hopefully recovery time is shorter than that.

Was going to hit the "Thank" button, but thanking that post doesn't seem right!!! We need boards to install a "Sh1t Luck" button

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Played at the weekend and front 9 seemed to be going perfectly. Everything I had been working on was paying off. Made slight adjustment to irons recently and that made a huge difference. Finished +2 for 23 points off 13 and that included a scratch (7) on the par 4 7th.

Unfortunately it got away from me on the back with an errant tee shot on 11 starting the rot. Still managed to birdie my second ball for a point (no shot).
    Lost balls on 15 (6 iron) , 16 (stupid decision) as well for 13 coming back.

So played to my handicap but left a great score out there. Still feeling pretty good I have to say as I know it's there and I just need to do it for 18 holes. Or at least take the disaster shots away. Bring on qualifying !!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ballyk

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Played at the weekend and front 9 seemed to be going perfectly. Everything I had been working on was paying off. Made slight adjustment to irons recently and that made a huge difference. Finished +2 for 23 points off 13 and that included a scratch (7) on the par 4 7th.

Unfortunately it got away from me on the back with an errant tee shot on 11 starting the rot. Still managed to birdie my second ball for a point (no shot).
    Lost balls on 15 (6 iron) , 16 (stupid decision) as well for 13 coming back.

So played to my handicap but left a great score out there. Still feeling pretty good I have to say as I know it's there and I just need to do it for 18 holes. Or at least take the disaster shots away. Bring on qualifying !!

Bring that form to Adare in March and we're sorted! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Really happy at the moment and can't wait for the season to start.
    Have improved my swing quite dramatically over the last year and a half especially towards the end of last season and it shows. When I say dramatically its more a case of having been very, very bad rather than looking like Louis Oosthuizen now, but it is a dramatic improvement all the same. Dropped 4 shots second half of last season despite changes still being somewhat raw.
    Went out for 9 on Saturday and its still there and waiting to be turned into an actual decent golf game. There is a whole different sound to my hits, I have an actual shape to my shots now and I probably gained distance by a club or two without trying. In fact it feels like no way could the balls go this far with what little I'm doing.
    I'm not 100% consistent yet with the changed swing but in terms of a range between having hit the first few good ones and ingrained ability to do this more or less all the time I'd say I'm about 70% there.

First GOY comp Saturday week which is our start of the season and I simply can't wait to get back into it. I know there will be downs and simply bad days and all that but 'm used to that and know how to handle this by now. I'm really excited and found a love for this game again.

Fair play Boskowski! There's no better game in the world when it all comes together like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

ballyk wrote: »
    Bring that form to Adare in March and we're sorted! :D

That's the plan anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

My game has gone very consistent. Note: Im not complaining nor am I boasting. Im just baffled. A wile back, about 9 months ago, I could have early 20 points in a round. Even had 2 sub 20 pointers. But I could also have 40+. Even a day following a disaster round. Now I just pretty much score 34 to 38 points every round. Might have a scratch or two on the card might not. Don't feel like iv a great score coming yet I'm very confident of just tipping away nicely to h/c.

Iv just gone from being very erratic spraying balls right or hooking left to hitting well in general. So where are my good scores gone? Don't want to know where the calamities are. They can stay right where they are. Wont win anything with 36 points. Where are you 40+?

• Advertisement

After playing some poor golf for the last month or so I was really getting frustrated with it and was thinking taking a couple of weeks off from it but ended up heading out for a quick 9 holes this evening after the rugby with a friend and played really solid stuff, was delighted with it. Nothing too spectacular but was +1 for the 9 holes which included back to back birdies but the most thing I was pleased with was how solidly I was striking the ball which was much improved. Hopefully I can build on that now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Another matchplay in Navan today, won by three.

Driving deserted me for most of the day but still not as bad as it used to be.

Putting was decent. Mostly 2 puts with the odd 3 and 1 putt.
    Wedges came good, always on the green with the higher percentage within 10ft.

Irons working well mostly, woods a bit hit and miss.

First time seeing spin back. 56º from 85yds with about 5ft of back spin. Felt like Tiger for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 21,112 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Finally seeing some positives from lessons at the start of the year. Lost an awful lot of my pre-Christmas consistency but my ball striking has come on leaps and bounds.

Starting to get a lot more comfortable with it now and starting to get my distances nailed down. Found that the new swing changes have added an club - club and a half.

Need to work on the short game as soon as the evenings start to brighten. Still haven't a clue what I'm doing around the greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Last few weeks iv been really happy with my progress .

My only problem at the minute is when I'm within 30 yards or less from the green and my putting could be better as well .

I got an hours practice chipping and putting in the Golf club tonight but I left feeling worse about myself then I did before I went . So an awful lot of work needed on my short game .

Went to the range tonight to sort out my driver, thankfully it only took about 10 balls for it to click again and the next 20 went almost exactly where I wanted. Have just to remember the routine for when I get to the course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Went to the range tonight to sort out my driver, thankfully it only took about 10 balls for it to click again and the next 20 went almost exactly where I wanted. Have just to remember the routine for when I get to the course!!

Noted for handicap purposes;)

I don't think I have ever hit a drive in my life where I wanted it to go:rolleyes:

As long as the weather stays good, should be back on the golf course tomorrow evening for the first time in two months. Will report back then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Spent a good hour at the range last night and really hit some solid drives with the big dog! Need to book a lesson again soon though to really kick the season off

ssbob wrote: »
    Noted for handicap purposes;)

I don't think I have ever hit a drive in my life where I wanted it to go:rolleyes:

As long as the weather stays good, should be back on the golf course tomorrow evening for the first time in two months. Will report back then.

I was cut 5.5 shots for this year mister!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

charlieIRL wrote: »

Jaysus Charlie if it takes you 10 to sort it out on the course you would be in some bother.

Only joking lad, I know you can hit it.

• Advertisement

mafc wrote: »
    Jaysus Charlie if it takes you 10 to sort it out on the course you would be in some bother.

Only joking lad, I know you can hit it.

The problem is that I am in bother, last 4 rounds it took at least 7/8 holes to get a decent drive away but when it clicks I'm fine. Scrambling and short game was saving me. I know what I have to do now though.

Advertisement