Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Court moron forces ISP's to block Torrent sites

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I would imagine Sky and Magnet and the next targets for IRMA. Previous case stems back to way before sky were looking to offer broadband in Ireland I believe.

Ugh....I hate censorship.....As previous posters have said not all torrented content is illegal...
    Anyway I hope Sky don't block it :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Such a load of shīte, thankfully I'm on Sky which remains unaffected

Same. I think Sky entered the market in August 2012, these court cases have been around since early-2009. They'll probably have to bring Sky Ireland to court, but probably wouldn't take as long as the others.

Trust Eircom to protect themselves instead of doing what's best for their customers, they barely put up a fight and blocked Pirate Bay in September 2009 - only 9 months after the big record labels came knocking, big respect to UPC and the others for battling it out to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I use Eircom googled The Pirate Bay first hit this website http://thepiratebay.sx/ and its not blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Ugh....I hate censorship.....As previous posters have said not all torrented content is illegal...
    Anyway I hope Sky don't block it :/

I agree 100% and I find it hard to think how a court can grant a blockade on a site that also provides legal content. It seems bizarre. No wonder Boards are trying to keep discussion on this to a minimal. IRMA are on a crusade to block anything that has any bit of copyrighted work available.

I think I should point out here that I now listen to at least 3 or 4 bands that I would have never of heard of if it wasn't for PB's promobay concept.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    I use Eircom googled The Pirate Bay first hit this website http://thepiratebay.sx/ and its not blocked

Blocked on UPC.

I have a google extension that changes to a new proxy if the one it's using goes down. Have to do noting new.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I don't see why they're bothering to block it, there are hundreds of alternatives to pirate bay. Trying to block it is simply a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I don't see why they're bothering to block it, there are hundreds of alternatives to pirate bay. Trying to block it is simply a waste of time.

As far as they are concerned this is just the start.

They probably want the air time so that people who don't download music think that the industry is doing their job. Also scares the less technically minded people who think they're going to get caught now. All IRMA wants to do is keep or increase CD sales slightly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Whatever. People claim to oppose this law for moral reasons but I see pirating as the main reason.

I'd suggest glasses so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

I'm on Vodafone and it was blocked yesterday. Its not today though.

• Advertisement

Luap wrote: »
    I'm on Vodafone and it was blocked yesterday. Its not today though.

i doubt they've had a change of heart :D Probably just an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I'd suggest glasses so.

Hmm. Do you want to read the posts previous to mine?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Hmm. Do you want to read the posts previous to mine?

Seems like a good sample size to infer conclusions on the entire population of Ireland from. I withdraw my skepticism. Carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Seems like a good sample size to infer conclusions on the entire population of Ireland from. I withdraw my skepticism. Carry on.

I am sampling the entire thread. Maybe you are right and the rest of Ireland uses pirate bay to download legal copies of Dostoevsky and Shakespeare which can be downloaded from anywhere for free.

But probably not. This is clearly a thread upset about banned piracy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

But probably not. This is clearly a thread upset about banned piracy.

Nope, this is a thread about peoples rightful concerns about internet censorship and the fact that a judge can order any website (which could include youtube, google, facebook, boards etc.) to be banned. Tpb block hasn't really stopped piracy much at all, except make people who used the site look for workarounds.
    Its the bigger picture people should be seeing here. Company sees something on boards they don't like, company takes court action, judge orders site to be shut down.. This is a possible outcome thanks to this law, which for many is a concern. I think it would be fair to say most judges aren't "tech savvy", and possibly don't even use the internet. These will be the people judging if a site should be blocked or not, didn't a Irish judge say quite recently Facebook should be shut down as someone took another user to court for discrimination on it?

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

yoyo wrote: »
    Nope, this is a thread about peoples rightful concerns about internet censorship and the fact that a judge can order any website (which could include youtube, google, facebook, boards etc.) to be banned. Tpb block hasn't really stopped piracy much at all, except make people who used the site look for workarounds.
    Its the bigger picture people should be seeing here. Company sees something on boards they don't like, company takes court action, judge orders site to be shut down.. This is a possible outcome thanks to this law, which for many is a concern. I think it would be fair to say most judges aren't "tech savvy", and possibly don't even use the internet. These will be the people judging if a site should be blocked or not, didn't a Irish judge say quite recently Facebook should be shut down as someone took another user to court for discrimination on it?

Nick

If you read over the thread, the theme is internet users being disappointed about this law blocking certain torrent sites.

Can't remember reading people worried about any of those sites you mentioned being taken down, and to be perfectly honest the threat to those websites at the moment is nothing to be concerned about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Didn't even know this was in the pipeline for UPC until I went to access TPB yesterday.

The block inhibited me from accessing the content I wanted to access for a whole two seconds, just long enough for me to type in the URL of a different torrent site. :rolleyes:

Good job guys, super effective.

Can't remember reading people worried about any of those sites you mentioned being taken down, and to be perfectly honest the threat to those websites at the moment is nothing to be concerned about.
    Why do you say these websites being taken down are not a concern? All you need is for IRMA to get a court order asking for youtube to be blocked, and then if the judge passes that youtube will end up like tpb. You would expect a "common sense" approach would be taken, however this seems to be something difficult to grasp by the copyright industry.
    Also it is a 2 second workaround for accessing tpb for both tech savvy and non techy users alike, so blocking like this certainly isn't the end of "piracy", not to mention the hundreds of thousand more pirate bay type sites out there.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

What we should really all do together is just pretend this has worked. Yep. Piracy has stopped forever. Damn you corporations, you've won! No point in doing anything else now because since TPB is blocked there is absolutely no piracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

yoyo wrote: »
    Why do you say these websites being taken down are not a concern? All you need is for IRMA to get a court order asking for youtube to be blocked, and then if the judge passes that youtube will end up like tpb. You would expect a "common sense" approach would be taken, however this seems to be something difficult to grasp by the copyright industry.
    Also it is a 2 second workaround for accessing tpb for both tech savvy and non techy users alike, so blocking like this certainly isn't the end of "piracy", not to mention the hundreds of thousand more pirate bay type sites out there.

Nick

As it is rightsholders are entitled to lodge copyright complaints and have their work taken down if its uploaded without their permission on youtube.

It's my personal opinion that I can't see the whole site being blocked as the current setup listed above works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It provides links, it doesn't store any illegal data.

That's the problem with the law these days. Everyone just care's about loopholes and not ethics. Bear in mind that those damn bankers didn't break the law either. The legal system is broken. It doesn't matter if any given topic is right or wrong, all the lawyers care about how to take advantage of the law.

Now I do hate that often over-protective copyright law bull aswell (if i download a song on itunes I struggle to play it on other devices/programs, i bought an album not a bloody filetype:rolleyes:)

It's pretty obvious why people download (who hasn't?), but I always wondered why people upload torrents. Surely the first person has to buy the latest blueray release before they can rip it to share with others.... so why do they think they're entitled to share it?

I may download, but I'm well aware it's not some sort of intrinsic human right.

As it is rightsholders are entitled to lodge copyright complaints and have their work taken down if its uploaded without their permission on youtube.

It's my personal opinion that I can't see the whole site being blocked as the current setup listed above works fine.

There is plenty of pirated material up on Youtube. It's not a case of "take down and be grand" this law implies. If a rights holder finds their content used without authorization on a site/service they can bring that site to court, and it would be up to the judge to then decide that particular service/sites faith.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

It was a test case. Now that there is a precedent, they will try to block thousands of sites. I wouldn't be surprised if they request all torrent sites to be blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It was a test case. Now that there is a precedent, they will try to block thousands of sites. I wouldn't be surprised if they request all torrent sites to be blocked.

They probably will try, but i can't imagine they will be allowed. They'll probably have to do it one by one.

Still, the first block has been applied. Most of these forum posts (In all forums not just boards) will probably help them in court, stating that they couldn't possibly block them one by one, blanket ban.

If they got their way, the internet would be spoon fed to us.
    Not so much a case of blocking, it would become a case of what they would allow.
    Begin by putting in the keystones, provide us with a completely blocked internet, and allow certain sites through, once they have been given a green light.

That could obviously never happen. All the cloud sites would become email servers etc.. And that shít's private.. :pac:

As it is, we'll have to make do with them shutting down sites/blocking them every now and then.
    Murderers and Rapists will be free to walk the streets because media sharing criminals will be filling the prisons.

The advertising costs to advertise on the illegal sites will be huge to afford the massive fines.

Bertie Ahern will be crowned High King of Ireland, and the Internet will cease to exist.
    Children will go outside and play, everyone will boycott movies/TV and music.

All that aside, Censorship is here now.
    If anyone see's Mr. Sherlock in the pub, buy him a pint from me.

Remember, they have this infamous list that they keep talking about 100-200 sites on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

just tried to use thepiratebay and was shocked with the msg, I wanted to find some old cycling footage that wouldnt be available to buy, why is youtube not blocked now also?

why can I still buy blank dvd's in tesco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

just tried to use thepiratebay and was shocked with the msg, I wanted to find some old cycling footage that wouldnt be available to buy, why is youtube not blocked now also?

Because you're the Kumate Champ they are afraid you will kick them around if they do :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

because my aunt bernadette only has an ancient CRT tv and a lloytron dvd player .... and she wants season 4, 5 and 6 or murder she wrote and perry mason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

So apparently the Irish High Court has no interest in protecting the rights of Irish citizens to visit perfectly legal websites that have legitimate uses.

What legitimate use does the Pirate bay have? Any estimates of what percentage of overall use this is (I'd put it at under 1%).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It provides links, it doesn't store any illegal data.

In practice, it's the same thing.

Advertisement