Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Court moron forces ISP's to block Torrent sites

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Only noticed last night that TPB's .se address had been blocked by Vodafone, but they are back and working again now on a .ie address. Now that's taking the piss. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭briany

What's more likely is that these major corporations will go after smaller sites which can't afford to fight them in court. What happens if say, a small site dedicated to reviewing music suddenly slates the latest release from EMI and it goes viral. Major online sites are re-posting this scathing review review and linking to it. It is conceivable that if the original site contained images belonging to EMI that were not properly cleared that EMI could have the site blocked. Yes, it is an extreme but given the ruling it's a possibility.

I've seen this bad review eventuality put forward before. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but to attempt it would be to walk a very fine line as it potentially would exacerbate the situation with the dreaded Streisand reaction.

With the advent of the Internet it's become very hard to stop the dissemination of ideas and information once it's hit the public sphere in some way. It's pretty much impossible, in fact, so long as people are connected. At some point, record companies will have to come back to the people with a new deal and a new way of looking at their product and a new way of selling it. They will have no choice. It's either that or fade into irrelevance. I'm not saying that the artist should not be compensated for their work but there may come a time when the music biz just isn't as lucrative as it once was for those involved. That'll be a change but to record company people who act as if what's been happening to them over the last decade and a half is a vile perversion of the natural order, it's worth pointing out that the paradigm they had been enjoying the fruits of is but one small chapter in the history of music. It certainly has not always been the way. Did recording companies and radio stations cry for all the barrel piano and player piano makers who folded when recorded music took off?

briany wrote: »
    I've seen this bad review eventuality put forward before. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but to attempt it would be to walk a very fine line as it potentially would exacerbate the situation with the dreaded Streisand reaction.

With the advent of the Internet it's become very hard to stop the dissemination of ideas and information once it's hit the public sphere in some way. It's pretty much impossible, in fact, so long as people are connected. At some point, record companies will have to come back to the people with a new deal and a new way of looking at their product and a new way of selling it. They will have no choice. It's either that or fade into irrelevance. I'm not saying that the artist should not be compensated for their work but there may come a time when the music biz just isn't as lucrative as it once was for those involved. That'll be a change but to record company people who act as if what's been happening to them over the last decade and a half is a vile perversion of the natural order, it's worth pointing out that the paradigm they had been enjoying the fruits of is but one small chapter in the history of music. It certainly has not always been the way. Did recording companies and radio stations cry for all the barrel piano and player piano makers who folded when recorded music took off?

It's a fine line that needs to be walked but think of the wider implications. What's to stop the government from using this ruling to silence those who disagree with it. Sure the Streisend effect may mean that the subject gets more attention than had nothing been done but that doesn't mean that people won't try. If this ruling isn't overturned then I really to fear for the future of the Internet in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Forgotten UPC had blocked TPB,took all of a few seconds googling to find a proxy.

What a pointless endeavour IRMA have undertaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The thread title should be changed, this is a widely used site. A High Court Judge is anything but a moron.

Just for arguments sake, any clown with some form of degree can do the Diploma and apply to Kings Inns if they think they can make it. The weeds are obviously removed at this stage but if you do pass and get accepted and try KI then you'll have a new found respect for the profession. Go and get called to the Bar.

Now start back from scratch doing your year of devilling as a Junior counsel making ZERO euros for that 12 months. You might do a second year or strike out and try and make a living in the madness. It's a shark tank, a cut throat world, They flooded the solicitors (small practices in particular are gone to hell) after the NI case and now more and more law grads are opting for Barrister.

So now you have to work your way up from there, if your desire is to become a High Court judge you need an extensive body of work and clean bill of professional conduct (you can't fcuk up anywhere, there's no margin for error in law you could be struck off or sued by the client for an honest mistake) to show to your political masters who'll make the decision.

They earn their respect in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

For any one other then sky broadband download TOR browser,

It relays the connection to a number of servers it seems faster then your vtunnel and the bonus theirs no pop ups..

You will have to right click on download torrent link and copy the link and add the link into utorrent under add URL and Utorrent will download away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

The thread title should be changed, this is a widely used site. A High Court Judge is anything but a moron.

Just for arguments sake, any clown with some form of degree can do the Diploma and apply to Kings Inns if they think they can make it. The weeds are obviously removed at this stage but if you do pass and get accepted and try KI then you'll have a new found respect for the profession. Go and get called to the Bar.

Now start back from scratch doing your year of devilling as a Junior counsel making ZERO euros for that 12 months. You might do a second year or strike out and try and make a living in the madness. It's a shark tank, a cut throat world, They flooded the solicitors (small practices in particular are gone to hell) after the NI case and now more and more law grads are opting for Barrister.

So now you have to work your way up from there, if your desire is to become a High Court judge you need an extensive body of work and clean bill of professional conduct (you can't fcuk up anywhere, there's no margin for error in law you could be struck off or sued by the client for an honest mistake) to show to your political masters who'll make the decision.

Brian Cowen was a Solicitor.....is he not a Moron?

Just because something is hard to be does not mean that it doesn't have it's fair share or morons. One only has to look at the papers to see just how put of touch many in the judicial system are. Also I imagine that much like many of our elected politicians there's a number of ways in which one could possibly gain their appointment even with a less that stellar or clean record. Not that it would ever happen, but it could very well be more about who you know and what you know about them or a few stuffed envelopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Hmmm there are a number of judges with pretty shady dealings under their belt. Some prior to acquiring that position and some afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ShaneW1986

Eh that's like telling a news paper to change their headline because you dont like it, I know where they woukd tell you to go! Sounds like censorship to me!

And my uncle is a solicitor who was given the oppertunity to become a judge but he had his own very sucsessful practice and so decided not to, And he's a complete moron!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

googled the piratebay. Had to go all the way to the forth link. I dont even use torrents but anyone who does surely has the intelligence to use google. Guess they better block google.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

My greatest hope regarding this issue is that in 6 months some report is released showing a 100% increase in the pirating of movies/songs since TPB was 'blocked'.

I'll now be making my contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Brian Cowen was a Solicitor.....is he not a Moron?

A solicitor is not a judge.

First off I can say I loved buying movies and making a collection of movies while I was younger,

But my since the industry is now full of greed movie stars demanding millions for a movie. It's forcing tickets prices up DVD prices are after going up and so are the like of renting a movie for a night,

No wonder people are now looking to download them, it cost me 33 euro for two tickets 2 cola one popcorn just to see superman.

How did the movie industry survive in the 90's when people used to rip VHS movies they would rent ? They had low prices at the cinema so a family of 5 could afford to go and make a day out of it now I never see that kind of thing any more a family of 5 would cost you around 60 euro or more in today's world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

A solicitor is not a judge.

He was talking about how these guys train for the bar then go onto be Judges, you dont lose it once you get to sit in a chair and bang a hammer!

My greatest hope regarding this issue is that in 6 months some report is released showing a 100% increase in the pirating of movies/songs since TPB was 'blocked'.

I'll now be making my contribution.

It'd be great if Ireland somehow made it up to the top of the countries that pirate the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

So you guys talking about pirating - this, rather than free speech is what it's about?

So you guys talking about pirating - this, rather than free speech is what it's about?

Pirating has nothing got to Free Speech,

Free Speech is an Act where one should be able to Speech what is on his mind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Cork24 wrote: »

???

Anyways, the ruling was on the 12th, right? So by today, all ISPs should have blocked TPB? I was there last night (magnet), I wonder if it's blocked today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Gumbi wrote: »
    ???

Anyways, the ruling was on the 12th, right? So by today, all ISPs should have blocked TPB? I was there last night (magnet), I wonder if it's blocked today?

Then why don't you check?

• Advertisement

Then why don't you check?

I'm at work!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Cork24 wrote: »

Whatever. People claim to oppose this law for moral reasons but I see pirating as the main reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

first step on a dangerous path :(

yes its easy to circumvent, but we've already seen the courts kowtow to 3rd parties - look for the argument after a year or so saying its doing nothing (boo hoo its too easy to circumvent, we've not made nearly the 120B we projected we would - everyone must still be pirating!), so how abouts we just throttle/block torrent traffic entirely?

Wossack wrote: »
    first step on a dangerous path :(

yes its easy to circumvent, but we've already seen the courts kowtow to 3rd parties - look for the argument after a year or so saying its doing nothing (boo hoo its too easy to circumvent, we've not made nearly the 120B we projected we would - everyone must still be pirating!), so how abouts we just throttle/block torrent traffic entirely?
    You realise all torrent traffic is not pirated material?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

Gumbi wrote: »
    You realise all torrent traffic is not pirated material?

and not everything published on TPB is pirated material either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

UPC has officially blocked it...

UPC has officially blocked it...

Magnet haven't blocked it as of 40 mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Wossack wrote: »
    and not everything published on TPB is pirated material either

Tell that to the courts :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Such a load of shīte, thankfully I'm on Sky which remains unaffected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I would imagine Sky and Magnet and the next targets for IRMA. Previous case stems back to way before sky were looking to offer broadband in Ireland I believe.

Advertisement