Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Court moron forces ISP's to block Torrent sites

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

UK isp's being told to block sport streaming sites.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23004880

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

zerks wrote: »
    UK isp's being told to block sport streaming sites.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23004880

Anyone that thinks this will stop with the torrent sites is deluded. You will see all kinds of companies looking to protect their own interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Jericho. wrote: »
    Anyone that thinks this will stop with the torrent sites is deluded. You will see all kinds of companies looking to protect their own interests.

That's the problem.

Once Censorship starts, it's hard to stop.
    Sean Sherlock said they wil never seek to block sites or censor the internet, yet once you start, you can no longer decide where to stop.

The whole thing is ridiculous.

I could try and sue everyone that spams me, find out who is selling my info and sue them, as they are doing it without paying me. I have never put my details on the internet.

Sony could block someone from talking about Sony products on their blog if they didn't like the way they chose to slate it.

KFC could sue every time a website puts a meme with a picture of the Colonel.

Etc.. etc.. etc...

All the reasons 'Merica went mental about SOPA, and shít Sherlock uses us for practice.

There may be many many many many ways to circumvent blocks. It's not the point.
    It'll get a whole heap worse before it gets even worse.

Going on the internet will be a maze of firewalls, anonymous proxies, software etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

The internet will become just one big shop window.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hoff1

has upc restricted the download speed or is it just my internet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hands Sean sherlock ever addressed this ruling or is he still blocking anyone who dares question him about it on twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

hoff1 wrote: »
    has upc restricted the download speed or is it just my internet?

Just you...I'm fine here in Sligo. Besides, UPC are committed to fighting this.

Hands Sean sherlock ever addressed this ruling or is he still blocking anyone who dares question him about it on twitter?

He seems to be still blocking them or giving them some rude answer, some politician he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

What happens next as regards UPC? if you continue to download do they issue cease and desist letters? will they send warnings?
    If you try to use Piratebay through Eircom its blocked, but its not blocked by UPC as of now

What happens next as regards UPC? if you continue to download do they issue cease and desist letters? will they send warnings?
    If you try to use Piratebay through Eircom its blocked, but its not blocked by UPC as of now

They won't do anything, the court order was just to block the site from being accessed, not actually downloading the files themselves, and, knowing UPC, they'll do whatever they can to keep their customers, which includes not cutting them off. People will use proxys to access the site and UPC will say, "Meh, not our fault, we just did what we were told"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Blocked by Three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

People should be aware of one important provision of the EMI judgement, which is that it was not a "sole purpose" decision. If EMI notifies UPC and the other defendants of any other location at which Pirate Bay may be accessed, and requires UPC and others ISPs to restrict access, the High Court has ordered that the ISPs must do so.

In other words, the record companies don't have to go to court every time they want a new way of accessing TPB blocked. They just send a letter to the ISPs, and the ISPs must add on the new block.

I don't know much about IT, but my understanding is that yes, there may be getarounds at the moment, but surely they will diminish as EMI finds them. An ISP can block pretty much any web address, can't they? There's no technical barrier to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

UPC still haven't blocked TPB as of yet.

Interesting, since some torrents are perfectly legal though..

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Three have blocked the IPs posted by danniemcq. It can be accessed through a Pirate Bay proxy though of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

JRant wrote: »
    When you do a search through a browser for a site, a DNS query is sent and you are then forwarded onto the site you're looking for. However if you enter an ip address directly into the browser it bypasses this and connects directly to the site.

That would only help if the isp was using the dns lookup to block you.
    If they are stopping traffic going to the ip then typing it directly won't work, you would need a different method to circumvent the court imposed block

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

have these d1cks really just tried to censor the internet?

Oh Seanie!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ShaneW1986

Folks as this has already been posted take a look at this link.

http://euobserver.com/news/120456

The EU government are supposed to currently be drafting laws that prevent any ISP from block access to any website so this could be over very soon anyway the date of implementation is supposed to be the end of this month.

Oh and Vodafone have officially closed access to the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

How easy are these to get around? Is it a matter of tweaking the address, or something more elaborate?

Hello Mr Sherlock!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

Blocked now on vodafone broadband :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Discussing pirate bay sites on boards means boards will be blocked :eek:

Not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Is blocking the pb allowed on three's mobile internet t&c's?

I can't see anything about them being able to block websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Pirate bay isn't blocked on Eircom Fiber.

UPC still haven't blocked it, I'm starting to wonder if they're actually gonna try get out of it somehow. We're coming up on the 30 day deadline

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Aren't the EU in the middle of passing laws that will ban ISP's from blocking sites and "throttling" customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Seaneh wrote: »
    Aren't the EU in the middle of passing laws that will ban ISP's from blocking sites and "throttling" customers?

Yes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

ryanch09 wrote: »
    UPC still haven't blocked it, I'm starting to wonder if they're actually gonna try get out of it somehow. We're coming up on the 30 day deadline

Doubt it, as they probably would have said something by now if they wanted to appeal it

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Wait.. Isn't that a contradiction then?

There's a law to say ISP won't be allow to block sites yet they are passing a law to block one particular site..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Not blocked by vodafone here, http://thepiratebay.sx/

I tried this address Just now and it is blocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Nemeses wrote: »
    Wait.. Isn't that a contradiction then?

There's a law to say ISP won't be allow to block sites yet they are passing a law to block one particular site..

You should tweet sean sherlock about it, he certainly wont block you ;)

Advertisement