Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Court moron forces ISP's to block Torrent sites

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

ryanch09 wrote: »
    UPC still haven't blocked it, I'm starting to wonder if they're actually gonna try get out of it somehow. We're coming up on the 30 day deadline
    They will probably block it on day 29 or 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xzx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭JRant

dub_skav wrote: »
    That would only help if the isp was using the dns lookup to block you.
    If they are stopping traffic going to the ip then typing it directly won't work, you would need a different method to circumvent the court imposed block

Absolutely, was just giving one example of how you could get around the problem. But sure there are many ways round these things.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

This makes me very angry and sad.
    When trying to access TPB:
    http://www.upc.ie/System/Block/999/38111162/tpb/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Prodigious wrote: »

Same for me too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Same for me too.

Any chance you could use a mirror and check the speeds you get on a well seeded torrent? I'm getting .5 kB/s
    If the bastards start throttling speeds they've another thing coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Allyall wrote: »
    The record Companies should be jailed. They're the ones trying to rob people.
    All that aside, It's the censorship that is being implemented, for me that is the bigger issue.

Excuse me for coming late to this thread, and not having read all of it. This business doesn't affect me personally. I have never downloaded music ( or free reading material,) and cannot envisage any circumstances in which I might need to do so. As a general principle, I presume that all here believe that the labourer is worthy of his hire. In the case of a writer or producer of music, that implies copyright protection. The real problem, raised by Allyall, is that some are making obscenely large sums of money while others are starving. And in many jurisdictions the taxman is looking on benignly at all of this. In Ireland, the richest and the poorest artists get tax concessions that are not available to others, albeit not as generously as previously. Some try to justify this, asserting that these people are bringing great glory to the country. I cannot accept that these people are more deserving than the man who cleans public toilets for a pittance. That is the crux. Tax the millionaires on the same basis as others, and then all of you will have more money in your pocket to buy whatever it is you now feel the need to pirate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Any chance you could use a mirror and check the speeds you get on a well seeded torrent? I'm getting .5 kB/s
    If the bastards start throttling speeds they've another thing coming.

Just checked there. It was slow at first (hovered around 20kB/s for a minute but it's at just under 1 MB/s now.

I'm supposed to get around 3.5MB/s and it's a well seeded torrent

I'll try another one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Goddamn them. UPC is the job, what a shame. Like others said though, ways and means around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Piece of piss to get around it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Will it get harder to get around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Will it get harder to get around?
    No. It's literally impossible to stop people getting around it, with great ease.

To make it just moderately difficult, we'd have to be so far gone down the road to an Orwellian Internet, that it'd make the Great Firewall of China look tame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Boards.ie can discuss links to a site for illegal downloading... but you cant insult a footballer or talk about dodgy boxes in their relative sections :pac:

Boards.ie can discuss links to a site for illegal downloading... but you cant insult a footballer or talk about dodgy boxes in their relative sections :pac:

Well I use torrents to download Linux distro's, such as the OS which I am using now on my netbook which is Crunchbang, that's not illegal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

removing links to bypass blocked sites

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

It took about 4 mins to download Broken City this morning

NoDrama wrote: »
    Well I use torrents to download Linux distro's, such as the OS which I am using now on my netbook which is Crunchbang, that's not illegal.

I know its not all illegal but it does be used for those purposes....also it was only a joke sure dodgy boxes can be used for FTA channels legally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

MiCr0 wrote: »

Just outta curiousity why?

surely this is a free speech issue and i know that boards isn't an open platform for free speech but would links describing how to access twitter or the like when it was blocked in certain countries also have been removed?

by posting links saying how to would it not be classed the same as google linking to those sites? if they were links direct to the torrents themselves.

Also is this just an AH rule or all across boards as there are links and posts about how to access youtube country locked videos or bypass the checks. Would that not fall under the same catagory?

Ah Jaysus no I was only joking :(

danniemcq wrote: »

surely this is a free speech issue and i know that boards isn't an open platform for free speech but would links describing how to access twitter or the like when it was blocked in certain countries also have been removed?

by posting links saying how to would it not be classed the same as google linking to those sites? if they were links direct to the torrents themselves.

Also is this just an AH rule or all across boards as there are links and posts about how to access youtube country locked videos or bypass the checks. Would that not fall under the same catagory?

As far as I know Boards have a strict on stuff that can get them in trouble i.e slander or as I said before discussing how to rob from sky etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Given the owner's previous threads in here on Sherlock's SI, I presume he/she was joking...

Removing links like that indicates an implicit responsibility for what users write, which is completely the point of the opposition to Sherlock's SI

As far as I know Boards have a strict on stuff that can get them in trouble i.e slander or as I said before discussing how to rob from sky etc

no no i get that, its a private company its the admins discretion to delete/remove what they want. But as shown Pirate Bay is useful for freeware/open source or even linux distros (its where i get all my ubuntus) to avoid hammering the bandwidth and iirc most suggest you torrent for this very reason.

By not linking directly to torrents would that not avoid any issues?

Or would say discussing TOR anywhere on the site and how it could be used to bypass blocks (youtube region locks for example) be also be removed?

by stopping people having access to this information would this not mean Sean is winning?

no no i get that, its a private company its the admins discretion to delete/remove what they want. But as shown Pirate Bay is useful for freeware/open source or even linux distros (its where i get all my ubuntus) to avoid hammering the bandwidth and iirc most suggest you torrent for this very reason.

By not linking directly to torrents would that not avoid any issues?

Or would say discussing TOR anywhere on the site and how it could be used to bypass blocks (youtube region locks for example) be also be removed?

by stopping people having access to this information would this not mean Sean is winning?

I totally agree with you, I have Fallout 3 GOTY edition but the CD drive on my computer is broken, I used PB to download the crack to allow me to use it without the CD.Im not the biggest fan of boards safely safely approach but I guess they dont want bad publicity.

I totally agree with you, I have Fallout 3 GOTY edition but the CD drive on my computer is broken, I used PB to download the crack to allow me to use it without the CD.Im not the biggest fan of boards safely safely approach but I guess they dont want bad publicity.

ya see i can see how getting a nocd crack is probably on the dodgey side.

Its no doubt against the TOS and therefore a kinda grey area. I know that you own it etc but its in the TOS. However... I can't see anyone ever being brought to court for this kinda thing as it would eventually go the gamers way and a legal precident would then be set.

However until that day a threat is more than enough to get a someone in trouble and i don't blame boards for not fighting as it would be quite a costly battle in the long run and pretty sure boards.ie has had enough of that to do them a lifetime.

Companies will fight to hold on to the old fashioned way that they know works, just look at tv for instance and how slow they are movng to the digital era.

editso just to clarify discussion of nocd cracks should be the same as torrents (for now) and seeing nocd cracks are always (or at least the vast majority) of time against the TOS sites discussing how or linking to is a no no. the difference between it and TPB is small i'll admit but thyere are legit businesses/companies/individuals who use torrents to reduce bandwidth costs.

TPB has been blocked on UPC now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Looks like the alternative IP addresses were blocked by UPC as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

this subject is popping up again... lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

I half-expected it to get removed (so am not complaining or asking for it to be restored), but I just want to point out the absurdity of this: My link that was removed was a link to a Google search.

I guess it shows in a minor way, the chilling effects caused by blocking sites like TPB - other websites and forums start self-censoring to a silly degree, and they start censoring posts that are completely fine and legal, out of fear of legal action that will never come.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Looks like the alternative IP addresses were blocked by UPC as well.

Nope. Within 30 seconds of looking I was able to get to the Pirate Bay without resorting to proxies.

• Advertisement

smart is still working

Advertisement