Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,085 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I love how this has now turned into a Miz appreciation thread. Agree completely on the Sandow feud shout.

Would like to think Miz will win and that'll propel him a bit higher up the midcard for 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I think Miz would be delighted that nobody really rates him. He's an old school heel in that there's legitimate dislike there, a lot of fans these days think they're too smart to be worked so confuse that with lack of talent, but as everyone is saying here it's actually a sign of immense talent.

I can see him being the next Jerry Lawler when he's done in the ring, and I mean that as in I could see him getting a gig on commentary for 20+ years. Don't know about the manager gimmick, though, I might be forgetting someone obvious completely but has there ever been a former World Champion that's transitioned successfully long-term into a manager? They tend to be more effective when it's established that all of the wrestlers can beat them up, ala Heyman today.

Plus there's issues with being willing to hand over the limelight. It's not a case of being selfish, just that wrestlers are attention whores by default to even get into it. Good managers and refs tend to be people who've accepted they're not going to be the main event and have no problem standing back and letting the wrestler in the ring shine when it's their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Harley Race managing Vader was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

And Freddie Blassie managing anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Lucha Underground was tremendous fun this week:
    http://kocosports.net/2015/01/08/wrestling/video-lucha-underground-010715-full-show/

A one hour Royal Rumble to crown the first Champion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

rovert wrote: »
    http://kocosports.net/2015/01/08/wrestling/video-lucha-underground-010715-full-show/

That was enjoyable. Great show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I want to marry Paige. That is all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just read Chris Jericho's latest book Best In The World At What I Do. It's great. If you liked Lion's Tale and Undisputed, you'll love it. Something random I took from it is that he had Rob Terry of TNA lined up as his on screen body guard/protege during his suit wearing Heel Jericho run. That spot went to Lance Cade in the end. Just thought it's an under the radar thing that big Rob was in contention for that call up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

LeeJM wrote: »
    Miz is the last of the old school survivors. The rumoured **** he endured from the Smackdown vets is horrendous. I really think unless he does something like murder someone he'll have a job for life with WWE.

Can anyone elaborate on the kind of grief they gave him? I know JBL and likes are supposed to be serious bastards, so I'm just morbidly curious exactly how creative they got for the Miz.

orestes wrote: »
    Can anyone elaborate on the kind of grief they gave him? I know JBL and likes are supposed to be serious bastards, so I'm just morbidly curious exactly how creative they got for the Miz.

I think he was not allowed in the locker room for eating chicken for half a year or something. Wasn't allowed use the wrestlers toilet as well.

• Advertisement

That was enjoyable. Great show.

Dave Meltzer gave the guys behind Lucha Underground massive credit for "making the Royal Rumble better" on yesterday's Wrestling Observer Radio.

Yisser are all sleeping on this if you haven't seen it.

Dave Meltzer gave the guys behind Lucha Underground massive credit for "making the Royal Rumble better" on yesterday's Wrestling Observer Radio.

Yisser are all sleeping on this if you haven't seen it.

It was mayhem. Spots everywhere. I still find it weird girls and guys in the same match however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I watched half of it and had to turn it off as I want to show my missus n a few mates how awesome it was without ruining the ending for myself

Sirsok wrote: »
    I watched half of it and had to turn it off as I want to show my missus n a few mates how awesome it was without ruining the ending for myself

It really is awesome. So much talent on the roster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Cheers for the link Rovey watched it last night it was class reminded me of the first few episodes and most of all Striker was tolerable so great stuff lived up to the Melty and Alvarez hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

And what happened the last time he got a concerted push (or started to at least)? I like Swagger but he's contributed greatly to his own malaise.
    Jack Swagger ****ed up and faced the music after that. But I think in the time that has passed over the last couple of years he's more than made up for it with work-rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

orestes wrote: »

If memory serves me right he had a promo on raw either the night after he won the WWE title or pretty soon after it anyway, where he talks about not being allowed into the locker room and a couple of other things

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The owen and bret hart match that opened wrestlemania x was a masterclass of a match.

• Site Banned Posts: 15 Hinomaru

I watched WWF back in the days of The Rock and Stone Cold. Known as the Attitude era. about 97 - 01

Personally I feel the modern era doesn't stack up at all. The PG/Reality era doesn't appeal to me

Lucha Underground was as good as last week's show. Lots of debuts and character introductions. They establish Cage like something on par with Samoa Joe's TNA debut and the main event has some next level flying. Any more detail would spoil the show:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maybe deserves a thread by itself..

With TNA, NJPW, Lucha Underground, ROH all with tv deals and GFW looking for one is there a mini wrestling boom on the way and could it turn into a full blown boom.

The above are all on Minor TV Networks but it is still alot of wrestling on TV compared to the last 15 years.

There is no way these groups will ever catch WWE and they probably shouldn't try.

Maybe the best thing they could do is find a way to work together and help each other build an audience.

The odd company out might be TNA.. As NJPW has a working relationship with ROH and the (GFW) and Lucha Underground has one with AAA.

Would there be a chance that all these compaines would join together and form a 21st century NWA.

Maybe deserves a thread by itself..

With TNA, NJPW, Lucha Underground, ROH all with tv deals and GFW looking for one is there a mini wrestling boom on the way and could it turn into a full blown boom.

The above are all on Minor TV Networks but it is still alot of wrestling on TV compared to the last 15 years.

There is no way these groups will ever catch WWE and they probably shouldn't try.

Maybe the best thing they could do is find a way to work together and help each other build an audience.

The odd company out might be TNA.. As NJPW has a working relationship with ROH and the (GFW) and Lucha Underground has one with AAA.

Would there be a chance that all these compaines would join together and form a 21st century NWA.

Yeah TNA is retreading ideas from 15 years ago or from the last 15 years whatever way you want to term it. The production values are very depressing too. There's little optimism or buzz toward the promotion.

The other promotions above are presenting themselves differently. They all have overlapping talent as you said. Alberto Rio Del is the biggest one working for AAA, Lucha Underground and ROH. Wrestletalk TV put an outtake clip of their Del Rio interview and kind expressed his disappointment at Sheamus's mentality being scared to leave WWE/lack of independent spirit.

Acts like The Young Bucks and AJ Styles are everywhere too. Not a bad time for be a freelancer.

I don't think the promotions will come together formally though. Has never walked in the history of Wrestling. The current NWA after 3 years or so of harmony is feuding again.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yeah TNA is retreading ideas from 15 years ago or from the last 15 years whatever way you want to term it. The production values are very depressing too.

The other promotions above are presenting themselves differently. They all have overlapping talent as you said. Alberto Rio Del is the biggest one working for AAA, Lucha Underground and ROH. Wrestletalk TV put an outtake clip of their Del Rio interview and kind expressed his disappointment at Sheamus's mentality being scared to leave WWE/lack of independent spirit.

Acts like The Young Bucks and AJ Styles are everywhere too. Not a bad time for be a freelancer.

I don't think the promotions will come together formally though. Has never walked in the history of Wrestling. The current NWA after 3 years or so of harmony is feuding again.

If they could work together you could really get 3 big supershows a year out of it.

Janaury you have the Japanese SuperShow middle of the year you could have a Mexican Supershow and towards the end of the year you could have a North American Supershow.

If you could get ICW involved some how to get Europe involved you could add a European Supershow.

It's kind of wishful thinking but there does seem to be "Whats best for Business" going on with these organisations with the cross over of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Agent Coulson for head booker man!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

The "what" chant has to be one of the greatest plagues in WWE.

It completely ruins any promo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The "what" chant has to be one of the greatest plagues in WWE.

It completely ruins any promo.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Loughc wrote: »
    What?
    Just finished cleaning my screen of all the tea I spit out from laughter when I say that. Well played

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They seem to have died down a bit.

Same for the all the chants we got on the post Mania Raw. They were getting annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Just came across a video of the "I'd like to talk to Tom Prichard" angle from, I think, the Continental Championship Wrestling territory back in 1988. Bloody hell, violent and edgy stuff for its time, supposed domestic violence and attempting to hang a man.

Don't know how to embed these videos but..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9XZ-eEW8Fo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement