Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options
  • 02-06-2013 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

So this is a thread for your musings which do not deserve an entire thread of its own.

For example

I just watched Card Subject To Change. Horrific to think that since its been made the following has happened -

Kamala has become an amputee

Sensational Sherrie, Paul Bearer and Trent Acid are dead

Had Kevin Sullivan and Nancy stayed together one of Wrestlings darkest moments would be completely different or never would have happened.

Lacey Von Erich almost became a diva. She is also crazy hot. Pure nom.

I also mused that even while Sherri was a dispicable heel while she was on tv she may well have been my first celeb crush.

All this in one lazy evening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Good thread idea Gimmick. Been noticing that for someone who apparently runs Raw vickie guerrero is barely on the show, then again most of the show is booked using a photocopier.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think Reid Flair would have made something of himself, he was young in wrestling terms only 25. I remember Ric's encouraging comments when he made his debut in Charlotte at the tail end of 08.

I heard there was positive feedback to his work in Japan early this year, I feel very bad for the Nature Boy, he lost the son who was going to carry his mantle. The name 'Flair' will die with him now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

I think WWE will eventually turn the Shield face and feud them with the Wyatt family. Could be amazing.

I used to think Benoit was the greatest wrestler ever in terms of ring work but now I firmly believe D Bryan is better and has ten times the personality thrown in. Not a statement I make lightly but he's just so so good. I went absolutely mental for his crazy destruction of the Shield on Smackdown. He's almost perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

As a happy little 7 year old I wrote into Sean Mooney requesting a "fan match" for one of WWF's hugely entertaining coliseum videos.

Twenty years on I'm still waiting to see if Papa Shango could beat The Ultimate Fighter Kama. My request complete ignored and denied.

Mooney was always one of my heroes but in hindsight he was nothing but an utter tosspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

seth rollins and dean ambrose were 4 years old and reigns was 5 the night sting won his first hw title (then aged 31 years old) at gab 1990...think about that for a second when sting main events tnas 2nd biggest ppv of the year later tonight

wrestlemania 29 did more money in ticket sales than wrestlemania 3, 17, 18 and 19 COMBINED

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Coutinho 10

If Jim Cornette could keep his mouth shut. We could have him back in the WWE running his own fraction against Paul Heymans and The shield and then maybe just maybe Vince would say feck it lets have a WarGames PPV.

I would pay for that no matter how bad it turned out and would be happy to see a new WarGmes match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

WWF 1998 was very average, you had Jim Cornette bringing the NWA in, besides the main event fueds it was utter toss, even then the main event is just Austin giving out about something stunnering whoever and Vince giving out about. Nostalgia is a beautiful thing.

I always thought Orlando Jordan deserved better.
    gimmick wrote: »
    Had Kevin Sullivan and Nancy stayed together one of Wrestlings darkest moments would be completely different or never would have happened.

Sorry I don't know much about the older days but what is this story?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Reganio 2 wrote: »

She went on to marry a certain Mr. Benoit.

She married Benoit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Oh...... Well that is awkward so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Coutinho 10

WWF 1998 was very average. Nostalgia is a beautiful thing.

WWF 1998 = Mike Tyson (far from average or maybe I am full of Nostalgia)

She left Kevin Sullivan for Chris. You should look up Hulk Hogans thoughts on Kevin Sullivan and Nancy. It highlight how nuts Hogan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I think WWE will eventually turn the Shield face and feud them with the Wyatt family. Could be amazing.

I used to think Benoit was the greatest wrestler ever in terms of ring work but now I firmly believe D Bryan is better and has ten times the personality thrown in. Not a statement I make lightly but he's just so so good. I went absolutely mental for his crazy destruction of the Shield on Smackdown. He's almost perfect.

Really? I think Benoit is one of the greatest wrestlers in terms of ring work. Bryan is the best today for sure, but I wouldn't put him in a top 5 list of all time. But I would put Benoit.

As for my thoughts.
    I think a lot of wrestling careers a made through luck. It's said that Triple H was supposed to win King of the Ring 96 until the Curtain Call incident happened. He got punished and Stone Cold won it instead and made his infamous 3:16 speech. What if HHH actually won it, where would Stone Cold be. Likewise would Chris Jericho have become the first undisputed champion when he did, if Triple H hadn't gotten injured. I feel like HHH would have been the first if he didn't get injured in 2001.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Really? I think Benoit is one of the greatest wrestlers in terms of ring work. Bryan is the best today for sure, but I wouldn't put him in a top 5 list of all time. But I would put Benoit.

in 10 years time barring serious injury bryan will have surpassed benoit in every way imo, bryan is also working in an environment where alot of his offence is curtailed, bryan blows benoit away in terms of charisma and likeability, from what i see people have it all wrong, bryans the mick foley of this generation not the chris benoit

on another topic had the new monday night wars that started on january 4th 2010 followed the exact same road as the original wars then:

by september 2010 impact would be beating raw every week and tna would biggest wrestling promotion on earth for the next 2 years, the fingerpoke would have happened last month (may 2013) and tna would be out of business completely by july 2015

incredible to think how quickly wcw rose and fell back down again

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mr.Perfect, Ravishing Rick Rude and British Bulldog were never WWE Champions.

The Miz and Vince McMahon have been.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    in 10 years time barring serious injury bryan will have surpassed benoit in every way imo, bryan is also working in an environment where alot of his offence is curtailed, bryan blows benoit away in terms of charisma and likeability, from what i see people have it all wrong, bryans the mick foley of this generation not the chris benoit

10 years is an awful long time, but who knows really. After 20/30 years, people still speak highly about guys like Terry Funk, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Ricky Steamboat etc. I'm sure Benoit, Angle, Guerrero etc will be remembered in 10/20 years etc.

As for Bryan surpassing Benoit. Who knows, but remember we're talking about in ring ability. As far as surpassing him in the ring goes, we'll have to wait a see but I don't see it.

As far as surpassing him in the ring goes, we'll have to wait a see but I don't see it.

how much of bryans work outside wwe have you seen exactly, for me he was better than benoit in 2005 and 2006 and i ain't the only one who thinks that way because he was winning best technical wrestler on the end of year observer awards back then while benoit was still active

bryan also never got to wrestle with the likes of eddie, rey, jericho, angle in their primes

Just flicked on Vintage collection they just showed the corperate ministry vs the union from Over the Edge 99, an odd choice given what happened that nite.

10 years is an awful long time, but who knows really. After 20/30 years, people still speak highly about guys like Terry Funk, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Ricky Steamboat etc. I'm sure Benoit, Angle, Guerrero etc will be remembered in 10/20 years etc.

As for Bryan surpassing Benoit. Who knows, but remember we're talking about in ring ability. As far as surpassing him in the ring goes, we'll have to wait a see but I don't see it.

I think in-ring Bryan is already better than all of them and that's without being given half the spot Benoit was given. The stuff he was doing on the Indies alone is better than anything Benoit did outside WWE. If Bryan gets extended feuds and long matches with the best workers in WWE, like Benoit did in his time, I think lots will come round to my way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

97 /98 might not have been a vintage year, but still a lot better than we are being fed today. I place Benoit next to Bret Hart in legitimacy, amazing technical wrestler. D. Bryan coming third. He could easily surpass those guys given the opportunity to. He needs a guy like Ziggler to sell the moves in order to get him over big i think.

how much of bryans work outside wwe have you seen exactly, for me he was better than benoit in 2005 and 2006 and i ain't the only one who thinks that way because he was winning best technical wrestler on the end of year observer awards back then while benoit was still active

I've seen his Ring of Honor stuff anyway. But that's about it. As for the rest. 2005/06 Benoit was still pretty consistent in the ring. His best of seven series with Booker T was pretty good, as were his matches with MVP. But even if Bryan beats him in those years, let's remember his career is not defined by those two years. Not when you consider the stuff he did before.

As for the part about the observer awards. Benoit has won a observer awards too. Doesn't really indicate much.
    bryan also never got to wrestle with the likes of eddie, rey, jericho, angle in their primes

No but he did get the wrestle with the orginal ROH guys and many more who are among the best wrestlers today. You know the guys that helped build ROH and left a mark on it. Guys like Nigel McGuniess, Austin Aries, Homicide, Low ki etc.

I think in-ring Bryan is already better than all of them and that's without being given half the spot Benoit was given. The stuff he was doing on the Indies alone is better than anything Benoit did outside WWE. If Bryan gets extended feuds and long matches with the best workers in WWE, like Benoit did in his time, I think lots will come round to my way of thinking.

So if we're to compare everything Bryan did on the indies, to everything Benoit did outside of of WWE, Bryan would have him beat? Benoit's matches in Japan, WCW, ECW etc. His matches with the likes of Jushin Liger, Great Sasuke and many other japanese wrestler, they don't compare to anything Bryan has done?

Also, the thing is Bryan hasn't exactly had any matches that would define his career in WWE thus far. Yes he's had some good matches, but when you think of Benoit and how he's had great matches, ones that will be remembered in years to come while Bryan hasn't. Well we're still waiting for his time. Considering the product we have today, I think Bryan will be lucky to even have one or two classic matches. But I do hope Bryan will get the chance, and give us some thumping good matches because I am a fan of Bryan's as well.

• Advertisement

So if we're to compare everything Bryan did on the indies, to everything Benoit did outside of of WWE, Bryan would have him beat? Benoit's matches in Japan, WCW, ECW etc. His matches with the likes of Jushin Liger, Great Sasuke and many other japanese wrestler.....

Were Benoit's New Japan matches really aul that great? The ones that get pimped the most are the 94 and 95 J Cup matches which by the very nature of the tournament tend to be rather rushed affairs. The stuff Bryan did with Aries, Nigel, Joe, Ki, Morishima, Gibson, Strong on the Indies is a far better and deeper body of work IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Benoit was pumped up to the gills on roids and god knows what else whereas Bryan is not. For that reason, Bryan is far more impressive inring

garhjw wrote: »
    Benoit was pumped up to the gills on roids and god knows what else whereas Bryan is not. For that reason, Bryan is far more impressive inring

Erm Steroids can't make you a better wrestler it just makes you physically look more impressive. I doubt if Garret Bischoff juiced he'd turn into a real in ring talent.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Erm Steroids can't make you a better wrestler it just makes you physically look more impressive. I doubt if Garret Bischoff juiced he'd turn into a real in ring talent.

They improve your strength, power, conditioning and endurance so I would disagree. If Benoit wasn't juiced up he couldn't have performed the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

garhjw wrote: »
    They improve your strength, power, conditioning and endurance so I would disagree. If Benoit wasn't juiced up he couldn't have performed the same way.
    Well, if they improve conditioning and endurance why was The Rock so wrecked for each match he was in when he came back?

As for the part about the observer awards. Benoit has won a observer awards too. Doesn't really indicate much.

yes he did but bryan won it in 2005 and 2006 when benoit was still active which to me suggests alot of folks back then had bryan better than benoit

You know the guys that helped build ROH and left a mark on it. Guys like Nigel McGuniess, Austin Aries, Homicide, Low ki etc.

in fairness to low ki, homicide they were not on the same level as the likes of eddie, jericho or angle in 2000-02

Also, the thing is Bryan hasn't exactly had any matches that would define his career in WWE thus far. Yes he's had some good matches, but when you think of Benoit and how he's had great matches, ones that will be remembered in years to come while Bryan hasn't.

bryan so far in his wwe run has not been allowed showcase even a fraction of his overall in-ring talent, he was booked very weak until about late 2011, the only long singles ppv matches he has had since last year have all been superb vs sheamus at extreme rules and punk at otl/mitb, also that tlc match in december was a classic and he played a huge part in that

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Well, if they improve conditioning and endurance why was The Rock so wrecked for each match he was in when he came back?

because he is over 40 and been out of the ring 10 years maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

because he is over 40 and been out of the ring 10 years maybe
    Bollox. He was jacked on steroids and built as fcuk! If ringrust was the case Undertaker wouldn't be churning out MOTY candidates at Wrestlemania each year. Also, this is coming from A Rock fan, so it pains me to even say it!

Bollox. He was jacked on steroids and built as fcuk! If ringrust was the case Undertaker wouldn't be churning out MOTY candidates at Wrestlemania each year. Also, this is coming from A Rock fan, so it pains me to even say it!

I'd say the rock only concentrated on adding mass and didnt do any cardio. There are a lot of different types of PEDs. Rock added too much muscle too quickly

• Advertisement

what is your point here exactly, steriods clearly help endurance otherwise the likes of lance armstrong wouldn't have taken then and how many baseballers have been done for steriods, thats a sport that requires a player to play 162 games over a 180 day period

taker clearly keeps himself in better ring shape than the rock

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement