Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Hillbilly's is ready to open anyday now. Looks pretty nice. Saw pics on their FB page now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Don't think it's been mentioned. Jack Jones ...... yep, it's a coffee shop ...... is opening across from the Abbey church.
    Think it was a cake decoration place previously and an auctioneers for years before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Gone in Galway Shopping Centre too I've been told.... correct me if wrong. All the fitting still in Lower Abbeygate street though this morning still so maybe go bust and reopen again job.

You are correct, was in GSC last night and noticed them closed with a sign in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Don't think it's been mentioned. Jack Jones ...... yep, it's a coffee shop ...... is opening across from the Abbey church.
    Think it was a cake decoration place previously and an auctioneers for years before that.

I thought the name was java John's. May have read it wrong as I was driving past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I thought the name was java John's. May have read it wrong as I was driving past

Nope you were right
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/JAVA-JOHNs/832438230116109?ref=stream&hc_location=timeline

• Advertisement

I must be blinder than I thought. I even stopped to read the planning notice lol.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

D Trent wrote: »

The coffee is so good it can time travel! Nice to see the reviews are up before they even open!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

LMellows wrote: »
    I do yes, having worked in a few. Although never in any where a flooded cellar would wreck this much havoc. And given the state of the place if you look in, it's much more than the cellar that is being repaired.

Great input though, fair play to you.

The roof suffered extensive damage in the rain too, partially collapsing which damaged wall electrics as well as the damage done to fridges etc.

The Revive place at the corner of Cross/ High/ Quay Street gone. Reopening as The Latin Quarter Bistro (and wine bar).
    May be just a rebranding as the signs look very similar.

You are correct, was in GSC last night and noticed them closed with a sign in the window.

And a story in the Irish Independent yesterday confirms this. They are gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Gone in Galway Shopping Centre too I've been told.... correct me if wrong. All the fitting still in Lower Abbeygate street though this morning still so maybe go bust and reopen again job.

I haven't been in Galway in a long time but just wondering, was there a Hynes shoe shop in GSC? I remember a Hanleys shoe shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skittlemon

I know it was mentioned already but the new JD sports shop place is looking awesome, you can see in through the shutters and the place just looks slick :cool:

LynnGrace wrote: »
    I haven't been in Galway in a long time but just wondering, was there a Hynes shoe shop in GSC? I remember a Hanleys shoe shop there.

Yes, Corner unit, facing the restaurant/Ice Cream place and the Koztello Beauty Salon..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Col200sx wrote: »
    Revive Cafe (?) I think it was opposite Ti Neachtain has a couple of signs in the window saying:

"Coming soon: Latin Quarter Bistro & Wine Bar".

A lot of work going on inside it at the time too.
    The Revive place at the corner of Cross/ High/ Quay Street gone. Reopening as The Latin Quarter Bistro (and wine bar).

Youre a great one for looking back one page.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 zeitner

They were badly damaged from the flooding alright but they are now selling their stock in The Warehouse Gym so they just moved stuff across to there.

serfboard wrote: »
    I posted up recently about the Health & Fitness place in Raven Terrace - the story I was told was that the floor in that place took a worse battering than surrounding businesses and hence it hasn't re-opened.

Although there's a for lease sign above that door now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,780 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ya, that place has rebranded several times. (probably makign up for the decades it spent selling underwear under the same name!)

SAHARA open where the Chip Inn was on the Headford Road. Menu looks interesting. Doing pasta, pizza, curry etc. as well as the usual chipper stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Molloys Pantry on Eyre St open the last week or so. Locally produced artisan foods. Anyone been?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Molloys Pantry on Eyre St open the last week or so. Locally produced artisan foods. Anyone been?

The word "artisan" get over-used these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Yeah, that and organic. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

For sure, just a excuse to put a few euro on products for the most part.
    Would not be surprised to see these shops picking up 39c veg in Lidl and claiming there organic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Yeah, that and organic. ;)

Add 'Craft' to that now too, I've seen some awful muck parading itself around as 'Craft' beer lately

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

HMV re-opening in Edward Square (not sure which unit) :)

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/hmv-galway-1392411-Apr2014/

Eeden wrote: »
    HMV re-opening in Edward Square (not sure which unit) :)

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/hmv-galway-1392411-Apr2014/

Not sure if that's an April Fools joke or not. Certainly be great news if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I know; it's hard to believe anything you read today! I'm hoping this is true, though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I think April Fools jokes are supposed to be even slightly funny, wouldn't be the wises topic for the journal to be making a joke about.

Eeden wrote: »
    I know; it's hard to believe anything you read today! I'm hoping this is true, though.

It's on the hmv.ie site so I figure it must be true. Hope it happens and sooner rather than later. I do miss the hours spent browsing through films looking for something to get and only a few weeks back mentioned to a friend how the unit would be perfect for HMV to open in.

I think April Fools jokes are supposed to be even slightly funny, wouldn't be the wises topic for the journal to be making a joke about.

It's the journal. I don't think they'd know humour or satire if they were beaten to death with either

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭topcat77

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I was gonna guess it was where A-wear was. This is great news! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement