Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

The non patched version of the game i.e. version 1.0 is the exact same as the demo so if you liked it that way and don't mind not being able to play online or not getting the DLC then you can stick with that. The update does seem to increase the speed a bit although I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere by Konami, you can however just reduce the game speed in the menu to -1 or -2 which will get it back to the same way it was pre-patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Those here saying they'll save up for fifa are honestly wasting their time. On the current gen consoles, fifa is the exact same if not worse than fifa 13. At this stage it'll just be boring! Pes 2014 has that something different about it and yes there's some bad and some good points to it but when it's good, it's good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Played the demo and it looked awful. Graphics are something like you would have seen 7 years. Rafael........never remember him looking even remotely like that. Will not be buying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

max life wrote: »
    Played the demo and it looked awful. Graphics are something like you would have seen 7 years. Rafael........never remember him looking even remotely like that. Will not be buying :(

I think you're the first person disappointed with the new look!
    I actually thought it was a real game when I saw the first footage... the animations and fluidity look stunning!
    If you really care what a players face looks like and this will determine your purchase, PES is never for you.

Hoping to get this today... anyone got any tips for dribbling / running past defenders? I found this nearly impossible in the demo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Hoping to get this today... anyone got any tips for dribbling / running past defenders? I found this nearly impossible in the demo!

I would also like some tips, or even what buttons I have to press to do skill moves? If I hold down RT and use RS nothing happens, hold down LT and use RS nothing happens. Are there even skill moves in the game?? I'm baffled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I would also like some tips, or even what buttons I have to press to do skill moves? If I hold down RT and use RS nothing happens, hold down LT and use RS nothing happens. Are there even skill moves in the game?? I'm baffled.

Its a combo of LS and RS. RS to control ball direction and LS to control body weight/movement - basically. Not got the hang of it myself, not really tried (not got the game yet) but it is about the direction of movement and manipulation of the ball. Don't THINK you need to you LT or RT.

Hoping to pick this up today - waiting for my Smyths voucher to arrive in the post. Hopefully it will come today so I can grab this on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Its a combo of LS and RS. RS to control ball direction and LS to control body weight/movement - basically. Not got the hang of it myself, not really tried (not got the game yet) but it is about the direction of movement and manipulation of the ball. Don't THINK you need to you LT or RT.

Hoping to pick this up today - waiting for my Smyths voucher to arrive in the post. Hopefully it will come today so I can grab this on the way home.

You do need to use the R2 (or RT) when dribbling to do some skill moves to try and keep the ball. It is taking quite some getting used to.

You do need to use the R2 (or RT) when dribbling to do some skill moves to try and keep the ball. It is taking quite some getting used to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrILtgqkteM

Indeed, some do need it - some don't.

I might be able to make sense of it with that YouTube clip, am at work so I'll see when I get home. TBH, its a bit of a joke that its not explained in the manual, there are numerous things not explained anywhere in the game.

I'll be honest with ye here lads........i absolutely abused the crossover turn in PES 2013 or as i like to call it......THE CHOP!! The amount of goals i scored on my friends or online by just doing one "chop" after the other was hilarious to see. Unfortunately it's very hard to so in PES 2014 but as far as i know you only use right analog. No holding RB or RT or anything like that. I can cut inside with the roulette fairly well and it looks magnificent but if you don't pull it off, you risk losing the ball....

• Advertisement

I might be able to make sense of it with that YouTube clip, am at work so I'll see when I get home. TBH, its a bit of a joke that its not explained in the manual, there are numerous things not explained anywhere in the game.

Does it not explain it, give you a tutorial and allow you to practice til you get it in the training mode? Certainly looked like the scenario's were there in the training menu in the demo (though blocked)

I played through the Tutorials until "Advanced" I think or maybe "Expert" it was before giving up, the tutorials are a mess. Nothing is explained well, you have to guess at what you're supposed to do in a lot of them. Got fed up trying to pass one of them and left it.

Something as relatively simple as what button presses you need to do a skill move should be in the manual or at least pop up in the pre-game loading screens. I know in the old PES games that I'm familiar with they had a list of ALL the skill moves and how to do them in the manual. Frustrating me this time.

Its not a gamebreaker by any means, still enjoying it but i find the dribbling baffling and frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Tinie wrote: »
    Its a SIMULATION of football, FIFA is more arcadey. PES 2014 is very realistic tbh.

Yep, I find Per Mertesacker catching up with Walcott pretty realistic myself...

daRobot wrote: »
    Yep, I find Per Mertesacker catching up with Walcott pretty realistic myself...

To be fair though FIFA 13 had the exact same problem as did previous versions. Pacey players were regularly caught up with in FIFA 13 and 12. Its incredibly annoying and has been since FIFA 10 in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Judging by the comments here, it's not worth forking out €50 on, especially if you have the old one.
    Have to say though, comments about a bad soundtrack, or Raphael not looking realistic make me laugh! "It doesn't have zlatans new hair". Who gives a rats ass? That's what option files and custom soundtrack are for!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Give it time lads, the first few days me and my mates couldn't play anything that resembled football at all. We got used to it yesterday however, and had some cracking games. Its top notch.

A few things you can be sure of in pes:
    Menus will be shíte.
    Music will be shíte
    Online will be shíte
    Commentary will be shíte
    And you'll hate it the first few times you play it. Don't think I ever got Pro Evo/ISS and liked it straight away.

Cienciano wrote: »
    A few things you can be sure of in pes:
    Online will be shíte

What I don't understand is that the online side of the game in PES 6 on the 360 was flawless. Easy matchmaking and zero lag. And that was their first attempt in the new generation of consoles.

Since then it has been beyond them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I think the majority of the gameplay itself is glorious, that is until you get in front of the goals. It's impossible to miss and I've even scored a few by belting them straight at the keeper and him fumbling it into the net.

Of course, this also happens with the AI and I've conceded goals because of the keeper that the local U-14 team would be embarrassed to let in.

It's utterly killing the game for me and I'm so badly tempted to flog it as a result. Poor, poor sow from Konami.

I think the majority of the gameplay itself is glorious, that is until you get in front of the goals. It's impossible to miss and I've even scored a few by belting them straight at the keeper and him fumbling it into the net.

Of course, this also happens with the AI and I've conceded goals because of the keeper that the local U-14 team would be embarrassed to let in.

It's utterly killing the game for me and I'm so badly tempted to flog it as a result. Poor, poor sow from Konami.

Me and my mates cant score to save our lives? :confused:

• Advertisement

What I don't understand is that the online side of the game in PES 6 on the 360 was flawless. Easy matchmaking and zero lag. And that was their first attempt in the new generation of consoles.

Since then it has been beyond them.
    I played it online on the PS2 and it was better than this. The lack of a replay option is so annoying. Or only able to see how good someones connection after you commit to a game. It's poxy :mad:
    Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Me and my mates cant score to save our lives? :confused:

Enough about your social life, how are you finding PES? :pac:

Did they totally get rid of the option to change the attack and defence level on the fly? I have always used that heavily. I can't see it mentioned in the manual.

Also throw-ins have become a problem. Most of the time I end up throwing it out for a corner if I'm near my goal or straight to the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

Did they totally get rid of the option to change the attack and defence level on the fly? I have always used that heavily. I can't see it mentioned in the manual.

Also throw-ins have become a problem. Most of the time I end up throwing it out for a corner if I'm near my goal or straight to the opposition.

Yes I'm pretty sure they have removed it, sadly yet another example of Konami removing a useful feature for no reason.

As for the throw ins there's nothing wrong with them you're just not doing it right. Take them as if you were just doing a normal pass. If you stop pressing the direction you want to throw it in before you throw it the player will turn back to their original position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Passed the tutorials!
    60GP Well earned.
    That manual through ball one must of taken.......I counted 41 goes. Has a transfer patch been done yet, there is a LOT not done and I just spent 5 hrs at least doing the 20 Prem kits. Some good(Norwich, West Ham and Swansea) & some not so good (Spurs).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Yep, gone.

Along with player select from corners, and replaced with some ghastly curved line.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

daRobot wrote: »
    Yep, gone.

Along with player select from corners, and replaced with some ghastly curved line.

Player select is still there. Hold L1/LB and use right stick to select player. Works on corners and goal kicks, probably throw ins too. Maybe they changed the controls to be the same as off the ball runs - in which case you might need to set that to manual to get it to work.

PES 2014 plays a great game of football, I find I'm even worse than I've ever been at it, but it somehow feels less frustrating because the AI is a step up. I think I even like how useless goalkeepers are in 1-on-1 situations. Except I am pretty fed up with keepers flapping at most shots in such a way the rebound drops to an awaiting striker for a tap-in.

Kind of suspicious about shooting from range. Think I have hit the crossbar over ten times in one day's play. I wouldn't mind blazing it into the stands, but hitting the bar from 10, 20, 30 yards like it's got attractive powers? Bit bizarre.

Finally bought PES 2014 yesterday, and 12 months xbox live, (new job :cool: ) and I think it's pretty decent! Launched myself straight into online matches and lost the first unranked one 1 nil and then went into master league online and won 2 nil. The great Castolis one of my scorers :D

With regards attack and defence, it can actually be done and works out better. In the game plan menu, you will see on the bottom there are 3 preset tactics so the first one is your default tactic and then what i do is set 2 and 3 to all out defence and all out attack and then all you do is press up on the D-Pad during the match the change tactics.

With corners and free kicks you hold your change player button and move the right analog in the direction the player you want to select is.

How long did it take everyone to install the data pack? Havent done it yet but want to try online tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

• Advertisement

I stopped reading after point one. "Pes doesn't have rain, so FIFA is already a better football simulation"

What bollox. Its explained that Pes has no rain because its a totally new build, but neglects to mention FIFA is a lazy rehash.

Advertisement