Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Great post raze! From what I have read, almost everyone's experience of the game has been the same. A bit flat at first maybe because of expectation, then the point where you actually become good enough for the game and it opens up the world of complexity and creativity it has to offer.

I hadn't quite known the nuances of the right stick so thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Just spent 2 hours downloading the data pack for it to then tell me its broken?

Any advice lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

TaosHum wrote: »
    Just spent 2 hours downloading the data pack for it to then tell me its broken?

Any advice lads?

Google the issue, theres a community fix for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Really want to pick this up.. But there's still no PC option file that has the Bundesliga:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

DoubleD wrote: »
    Is there any option file out that has all the old classic teams in it? I'm really disappointed all the old classic teams aren't in this and that they've just given us a classic Europe and classic rest of the world with a smattering of recent players.

There was simply nothing better than creating a cup with just the old classic teams and playing it on the highest level with a mate against the computer. Made for fantastic football at a really challenging level with my self created classic Ireland.

The thoughts of having to create a classic Ireland team are a nightmare, but having to do it for the Dutch, Italians, Brazilians, French, Argentinians, English and a rest of world team just seems like a mammoth task that I'm not willing to undertake.

Also, just on that, the editing options this year are a piece of ****. I don't know why they changed it so much from the previous games, its next to impossible to get a decent likeness of a player. This used to be a part of the game that I used to enjoy, creating players from scratch and doing them justice, but this year they have scaled back massively on the options available, making it next to impossible to replicate properly a footballer.

Obviously the first factor I look at with any pro game is how well it plays, but the editing options used to be a factor for me as well, now it seems as if they've turned their back on that part of the community, which is a shame.

Its 01:20 and its literally taken me an hour to create a form of Paul McGrath that's passable, and hes nowhere near what I would have been able able to create previously. A 5-10 minute job in previous games. Pretty annoying.
    The classic teams used to be great on Pro Evo. England for instance, used to be the best english players ever. Stanley Matthews, Tom Finney, Dixie Dean etc. Not sure about this game, but in the last few it's been the 1990 team and maybe the 66 team. Woefully lazy. An example of a good feature that they drop.
    The replays are another thing. Used to be easy using L and R buttons to swing the camera around and see a replay from behind the player. Now it's poxy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Cheers raze, great post.

Playing thru a league season as liverpool, ground out 1-0 wins like IRL until I played Utd today, won 3-0 after reading your post and trying out the RS/LS combos.

Still get frustrated, but easily a great game. Haven't had friends over to try 1v1 or 2vCPU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Anyone got any suggestions for good, cheap players in Master League?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Lads im in town right now and need to know very quick should I get this?

Honestly most of my tv time is consumed by cartoons with the small one so what little time I do have I spend watching movies, so this could be a welcome break from all that!

Opinions quickly please!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Honestly most of my tv time is consumed by cartoons with the small one so what little time I do have I spend watching movies, so this could be a welcome break from all that!

Yes, I think its very good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Basically, if you would like a football sim with realistic graphics, gameplay and animations then get this.

It has a learning curve but is very rewarding once you get to grips with it.

Im enjoying it very much so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Cheers lads, I was under too much pressure with closing times so I buckled and got GTA 5, ill give pro evo a shot over fifa this year for sure though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cheers lads, I was under too much pressure with closing times so I buckled and got GTA 5, ill give pro evo a shot over fifa this year for sure though!

In fairness, GTAV is amazing, you made the right decision imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Went into Athlone on Sunday and it could not be bought on the PC.

The only place still selling PC games it seems is gamestop and they had a load of Fifas, no Pro Evo. (I didnt ask as there was one dude working with a queue of about 10 people)

So had to buy it on amazon as I could not find a place selling it digitally either (G2Play it seems like you would provide the DVD image)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

Anyone got any suggestions for good, cheap players in Master League?

There's a guy called Bello that I picked up and his salary is €300,000 which is the same as most of the good original players. He's a little beast of a chap who can play practically any attacking position and has a nack for being in the right spot. And most importantly...he scores goals!

On a side note, I've noticed the strikers often don't shoot when I press it first time e.g. low ball in and they're six yards out but insist on taking a touch. Any tips?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

What is the A.I like when playing career? Last year they were so bad, no forward movement or support when attacking!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

deadeye187 wrote: »
    What is the A.I like when playing career? Last year they were so bad, no forward movement or support when attacking!

Is this when playing as BAL or as the team?
    I find it much better to be honest. A lot of forward running and support.
    Playing as a team gives much more flexibility and more control over your players, but the AI is still good I find.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Is this when playing as BAL or as the team?
    I find it much better to be honest. A lot of forward running and support.
    Playing as a team gives much more flexibility and more control over your players, but the AI is still good I find.

The legend i`m wondering about!.....

Played the full game for the first time for six hours with a friend.

Was used to playing the computer so didn't have nearly the time on the ball I was used to and he was learning it completely new so there were a lot of scrappy games.

Biggest concern is changing player on defense in critical situations we were both let down a lot of times.
    There has to be a better option than pressing L1 and hoping the game interprets the right player to be selected. Fifa has had a very simple and effective 'right stick in the direction of the player you want to change to' that was instantaneous and fluent. Maybe I have missed something on the controls here.

Second is player runs, hold L1 and push right stick in the direction of the player you want to run? So hard to do, and half the time it just didn't work.

Shielding the ball was a bit hit and miss, players seem to be able to stick a foot in from directly behind. Is there a button I should be pressing?

Goalkeepers are problematic and my friend more than I felt it takes an age to get off a shot or pass at times.

Despite all this
    the game is addictive and I feel almost limitless in how it allows you to use your creativity. I also notice that it does not pay to sprint around the gaff and send defenders left right and center or to button mash. The game rewards intelligent play and I love the game overall, absolutely love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

I recently bought the new Fifa and im not impressed with it all. I loved Fifa 13 but the new one is muck.

I played PES from 3 up until 10, but havent played it since

Is the new PES any good, and any different from when i played it a few yrs ago, and the new Fifa?

I recently bought the new Fifa and im not impressed with it all. I loved Fifa 13 but the new one is muck.

I played PES from 3 up until 10, but havent played it since

Is the new PES any good, and any different from when i played it a few yrs ago, and the new Fifa?

Yes it is a much more rewarding experience then fifa. Coming from someone who switched to fifa from around 09 - 12. And someone who wasn't at all happy with the newer pro evs including last years.

EDIT: Be prepared to invest a lot of time though before it really becomes clear how good it is. Especially for someone being used to fifa, which allows for almost no ingenuity.

• Advertisement

Biggest concern is changing player on defense in critical situations we were both let down a lot of times.
    There has to be a better option than pressing L1 and hoping the game interprets the right player to be selected. Fifa has had a very simple and effective 'right stick in the direction of the player you want to change to' that was instantaneous and fluent. Maybe I have missed something on the controls here.

You can try pressing L1 and pushing the right stick in the direction of the player you wish to control.

Also if anyone is looking for a cheap player for their Master League team go for Henrique. A good forward who is still young. Doing well for me at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Anyone know where to find a list of incompleted transfers?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Second is player runs, hold L1 and push right stick in the direction of the player you want to run? So hard to do, and half the time it just didn't work.

Shielding the ball was a bit hit and miss, players seem to be able to stick a foot in from directly behind. Is there a button I should be pressing?

Goalkeepers are problematic and my friend more than I felt it takes an age to get off a shot or pass at times.

Despite all this
    the game is addictive and I feel almost limitless in how it allows you to use your creativity. I also notice that it does not pay to sprint around the gaff and send defenders left right and center or to button mash. The game rewards intelligent play and I love the game overall, absolutely love it.

Player switching is bad at times, but you can switch with right stick if you're holding L1. It's not as direct as FIFA's system, but RS does defensive things in PES so it needs to use a second button.

In possession for off the ball runs - you hold L1, move right stick toward player you want to get moving then click right stick to instigate move I think. If you set teammate controls to manual then you do this and after you click then push the right stick in the direction you want the player to run to - so you can send them back, forward, to the flank. Get them to run into space to take a man with them, move for through ball, or come short to reset the possession and bait the defence out a bit. Auto settings will generally just be a forward run.

If you have the ball at your feet and the opposing player moves in to try shoulder you off the ball you can press the right stick in the opposite direction to try outmuscle the opponent. Typically the AI will come in from the back, and move alongside you as you dribble, so that's two presses of the right stick.

With the ball at your feet after receiving a pass if you don't start your dribble but move the ball to face away from the approaching defender then tap the sprint button because you're standing still it should shrug off the defenders attempt to get set-up and prevent the tackle from the side.

If you're moving (not running) with the ball at your feet and you want to avoid the tackle release left stick push the right stick in the direction away from where the defender is coming, and push left stick in the direction you want to go. Don't use the skill dribble button unless you have lots of space - it's more likely to draw a foul, but typically has a longer animation with less protection of the ball.

For your friend, it needs to be second nature to press the skill dribble button every time you receive a pass - if you don't get in the habit of timing the first touch you're not going to get a shot off for tripping over your own feet. There's a training mode that will let you practice this. You'll feel like a boss when you get it down, but the timing is tight enough that it's hard to learn without practice, you don't stumble across the usefulness of it because a good first touch doesn't look any different, it just makes shooting available immediately.

Goalkeepers are piss poor - at least it affects everybody equally, but they are so bad in this game it's unreal. I've had keepers fall on balls with their whole bodies, only to flap at it into the path of a waiting striker. Palming balls into their own net. 'Running' off their line with the enthusiasm of roadkill. Consider deep defensive lines with no offside trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

I was all set on trading in Fifa14 for PES, but just found out that they aren't releasing it on the PS4?

Thats a really strange decision. I have no other choice now but to stick with Fifa. Really disappointed as i was reading the reviews and looked at some of the gameplay on Youtube.

Hopefully the new PS4 engine for Fifa improves the gameplay

Can someone who plays Legend please tell me what is the A.I like to play with in this mode?

I loved legend but pes of the last few years had me tearing my hair out with the A.I being so stupid!.....

raze wrote: »
    Player switching is bad at times, but you can switch with right stick if you're holding L1. It's not as direct as FIFA's system, but RS does defensive things in PES so it needs to use a second button.

In possession for off the ball runs - you hold L1, move right stick toward player you want to get moving then click right stick to instigate move I think. If you set teammate controls to manual then you do this and after you click then push the right stick in the direction you want the player to run to - so you can send them back, forward, to the flank. Get them to run into space to take a man with them, move for through ball, or come short to reset the possession and bait the defence out a bit. Auto settings will generally just be a forward run.

If you have the ball at your feet and the opposing player moves in to try shoulder you off the ball you can press the right stick in the opposite direction to try outmuscle the opponent. Typically the AI will come in from the back, and move alongside you as you dribble, so that's two presses of the right stick.

With the ball at your feet after receiving a pass if you don't start your dribble but move the ball to face away from the approaching defender then tap the sprint button because you're standing still it should shrug off the defenders attempt to get set-up and prevent the tackle from the side.

If you're moving (not running) with the ball at your feet and you want to avoid the tackle release left stick push the right stick in the direction away from where the defender is coming, and push left stick in the direction you want to go. Don't use the skill dribble button unless you have lots of space - it's more likely to draw a foul, but typically has a longer animation with less protection of the ball.

For your friend, it needs to be second nature to press the skill dribble button every time you receive a pass - if you don't get in the habit of timing the first touch you're not going to get a shot off for tripping over your own feet. There's a training mode that will let you practice this. You'll feel like a boss when you get it down, but the timing is tight enough that it's hard to learn without practice, you don't stumble across the usefulness of it because a good first touch doesn't look any different, it just makes shooting available immediately.

Goalkeepers are piss poor - at least it affects everybody equally, but they are so bad in this game it's unreal. I've had keepers fall on balls with their whole bodies, only to flap at it into the path of a waiting striker. Palming balls into their own net. 'Running' off their line with the enthusiasm of roadkill. Consider deep defensive lines with no offside trap.

Thanks again raze, great info and I'll try it all out!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Switching player is totally ruining the game for me,its shocking how wrong they got it.
    Contemplating just sticking to fifa 13 tbh,

Dcully wrote: »
    Switching player is totally ruining the game for me,its shocking how wrong they got it.

really!..whats so wrong with it?...seems fine in the demo

I honestly haven't found it any more of an issue than in past PES games.

I switched clubs tonight in the Master League but before I did I released all my current clubs best players. I hoped to pick them up on a free but none of them wanted to join my new club.

I'll try it again next time I move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Agreed, I sold it the other day, the keepers are beyond a joke.

Sticking with NHL 13 for my sports fix as I don't like FIFA :(

Advertisement