Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I downloaded the data pack fix, a couple of pages back, and what I didn't realise until I downloaded it and moved it to my xbox was that it was the data pack itself (all 663 mb of it) so you don't have to go near the data pack on the xbox marketplace. I played online straight away, with no lag on a 1.7mb connection I may add, so it obviously works.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

seems like a fair review here from someone who's played it a bit:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/10330895/Pro-Evolution-Soccer-2014-review.html

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedmanDublin

max life wrote: »
    From the article - "What the PES vs FIFA debate really boils down to in the end is licencing"

FAIL!!! What ass bandit wrote this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I stopped reading after point one. "Pes doesn't have rain, so FIFA is already a better football simulation"

What bollox. Its explained that Pes has no rain because its a totally new build, but neglects to mention FIFA is a lazy rehash.
    Who turns on rain if it's an option? No one. Same with snow. A novelty the first time, but then it's just a pain in the hole if it's on for a game.
    Second point about stadiums is pretty stupid imho too. First thing I do in a football game is turn off cut scenes, and if you can't, the second the ball is out of play or when the game is starting, I'm pressing X or Start to bypass them.
    Actually, just finished the article and there's only 3 things I'd like to take from FIFA and put in PES. Better career mode, legends mode and licencing. None a dealbreaker
    From the article - "What the PES vs FIFA debate really boils down to in the end is licencing"

FAIL!!! What ass bandit wrote this?
    In fairness, the licencing is a pain in the hoop. Getting an option file, then wondering if the konami update will fúck it up, then having to get a janurary transfers file. I'd love to have to not do any of that.
    But the mountains of teams in fifa make no difference to me. Sure about 20 club teams and 10 national teams probably makes up for 99.9% of most peoples play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Cienciano wrote: »
    But the mountains of teams in fifa make no difference to me. Sure about 20 club teams and 10 national teams probably makes up for 99.9% of most peoples play.

You are dead right. Whatever game I play, I always stick with the same small number of teams or characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Has anyone tried the PC version?

max life wrote: »
    You are dead right. Whatever game I play, I always stick with the same small number of teams or characters.
    Play online and it's even less. It's always Madrid, Barca or if it's national teams it's spain or brazil. You always see the other player scrolling around like he's going to pick Stoke, or Torino, but when the countdown timer gets close to the end they go straight to La Liga and pick Barca/Real

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedmanDublin

Who turns on rain if it's an option? No one. Same with snow. A novelty the first time, but then it's just a pain in the hole if it's on for a game.
    Second point about stadiums is pretty stupid imho too. First thing I do in a football game is turn off cut scenes, and if you can't, the second the ball is out of play or when the game is starting, I'm pressing X or Start to bypass them.
    Actually, just finished the article and there's only 3 things I'd like to take from FIFA and put in PES. Better career mode, legends mode and licencing. None a dealbreaker

In fairness, the licencing is a pain in the hoop. Getting an option file, then wondering if the konami update will fúck it up, then having to get a janurary transfers file. I'd love to have to not do any of that.

A pain in the hoop it is but it doesn't "all boil down to that."

It's all about the gameplay which PES was King at. I'm not sure this new one has got that crown back yet.

The bizarre thing is we could put PES 5 up against any football game ever made and it would still bate it hands down. So how Konami haven't built on that from all them years ago - is beyond me. From reading the reviews though it sounds like it is on it's way back to the top.

A pain in the hoop it is but it doesn't "all boil down to that."

It's all about the gameplay which PES was King at. I'm not sure this new one has got that crown back yet.

The bizarre thing is we could put PES 5 up against any football game ever made and it would still bate it hands down. So how Konami haven't built on that from all them years ago - is beyond me. From reading the reviews though it sounds like it is on it's way back to the top.

Agree with that. OK, the licence thing definitely isn't the be all and end all, but it's definitely a plus point to fifa. Gameplay is king.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Agree with that. OK, the licence thing definitely isn't the be all and end all, but it's definitely a plus point to fifa. Gameplay is king.

I agree that gameplay is the number one consideration but it would be nice to actually be able to play the game online. Just like I paid good money to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

Has anyone tried the PC version?

Yes I have, runs perfectly and has no menu slowdown. The is a still a significant drop in framerate in the cutscenes and replays but as long as you have a reasonably powerful PC that won't be a problem. Anything else you'd like to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

The keepers are beyond a joke on this - I've been trying my absolute best to enjoy it, but to see all your good efforts crumble because has palmed weak shots into his own goals three times after the 80 minute mark is beyond infuriating.

Add to the broken online and Konami have ended this gen without one fully playable PES :mad:

Had a good few games last night.
    It's a real prospect of something great.
    Keepers varying AI and having defenders catch up does get ridiculous though.
    Hopefully patches are forthcoming as maybe just a few tweaks will greatly improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Judging by the comments here, it's not worth forking out €50 on, especially if you have the old one.
    It's not really a good sign when you can get it for half price about a week after release at €25.99...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Hopefully patches are forthcoming as maybe just a few tweaks will greatly improve it.
    Is the PES 2014 Patch 0.1 making the rounds legit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

the_syco wrote: »
    It's not really a good sign when you can get it for half price about a week after release at €25.99...

Par for the course on PC games, I got FIFA 14 for €20 last night. Have it preloaded on Origin. Also that is just for a CD key, not a digital donload, you need the game disk to play, not 100% sure how it works, you can get it on PC for €25 at gamestop(out of stock right now, might have it in store) though, been that price since release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

the_syco wrote: »

I got the game for £18 at launch for pc at launch

the PESEDIT 2014 0.1 patch is legit some decent work done already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

If you can get pes 2014 on the PC then do, as this is what it looks like on max settings; I cant wait to see what they can do for 2015 in the GFX department for next gen consoles as im guessing PC is running upscaled current gen models.

ZIRjW8B.png

txypJtW.jpg

RK3hooX.png

yjYLkGm.png

HSKBCID.png

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eaglebhoy

Can't contribute too much yet as I only downloaded it onto my PS3 yesterday (all 7.3gb of it) and only got to play 1 match by then !

BTW that was silly and I'll never do that again as it took about 4hrs for the download and install off PSN !

Anyhow in my one game I played as Palace (South Norwood) v Southampton on Professional and won 1-0, that was before downloading the data pack today !

When I've played more I'll comment more here, FWIW I'm a life long PESer and have to say I was quite happy on PES 2013 ! However I have to say Cienciano hit the nail on the head by saying you really never do start off liking the differences in a new PES but before you know it the new one is sucking up your spare time like a Vampire sucks blood !

Also I usually get FIFAs too as Football gaming is all I have time for these days so I will be giving a fair and honest review and not a PES/Konami fanboy one :)

Back soon ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Elro wrote: »
    Yes I have, runs perfectly and has no menu slowdown. The is a still a significant drop in framerate in the cutscenes and replays but as long as you have a reasonably powerful PC that won't be a problem. Anything else you'd like to know?

Cool, will pick it up at the weekend. My Pc should be well up for it (it better be!). Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

My opinion on this game is starting to turn around, for the better.

I finally found a camera angle that I like and a speed setting that suits me better. I had to play a lot of matches that I simply did not enjoy just to start getting used to the extra weight the players seem to have this year.

Yes, there are still problems there - horrendous goalkeeper AI, poor refs, lack of stadiums and a bit too much input lag. But now that I coming to grips with the dribbling it is becoming easier. But one of the big things that has changed it around is that you can pick out a specific player from a throw-in or any other set-piece. One of the posters in this thread told me how so much thanks to them. Also it is the same command to make your teammates do off the ball runs. I relied a lot on that in PES 2013 so it is great to have it back.

I haven't gone online in a week now. It was broken that time. Any improvement? I'm on PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Same here, at first was a bit wary but now I think it's the best football game of the new generation. I just score the best lob I've ever scored there in the demo, even stopped to take a phone video of it.

The dribbling once you get the hang of it is a game in and of itself and the manual passing and shooting works really well.

9/10 for me because of the keepers and some of the forward running ai and slight input lag but I think the input lag is deliberate to make the dribbling work a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Watched a video of someone playing the ps3 version and the frame rate is atrocious at times, Especially in replays, can't believe it shipped like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

ShaneU wrote: »
    Watched a video of someone playing the ps3 version and the frame rate is atrocious at times, Especially in replays, can't believe it shipped like that.

Were you watching a choppy Youtube video of a 60fps game?

Yes, the framerate sucks during replays and whatnot, but that's my experience of every sports game I've played this gen.

I've played about 10 to 12 hours of it on PS3, and for all its glaring faults, the framerate is rock solid during gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Were you watching a choppy Youtube video of a 60fps game?
    No, giant bomb quick look in hd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

ShaneU wrote: »
    No, giant bomb quick look in hd

that is the choppiest video ive seen in a long time as isnt representative of the game at all

theyre encoding from 60fps to 24 is very poor on this video

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭DoubleD

Is there any option file out that has all the old classic teams in it? I'm really disappointed all the old classic teams aren't in this and that they've just given us a classic Europe and classic rest of the world with a smattering of recent players.

There was simply nothing better than creating a cup with just the old classic teams and playing it on the highest level with a mate against the computer. Made for fantastic football at a really challenging level with my self created classic Ireland.

The thoughts of having to create a classic Ireland team are a nightmare, but having to do it for the Dutch, Italians, Brazilians, French, Argentinians, English and a rest of world team just seems like a mammoth task that I'm not willing to undertake.

Also, just on that, the editing options this year are a piece of ****. I don't know why they changed it so much from the previous games, its next to impossible to get a decent likeness of a player. This used to be a part of the game that I used to enjoy, creating players from scratch and doing them justice, but this year they have scaled back massively on the options available, making it next to impossible to replicate properly a footballer.

Obviously the first factor I look at with any pro game is how well it plays, but the editing options used to be a factor for me as well, now it seems as if they've turned their back on that part of the community, which is a shame.

Its 01:20 and its literally taken me an hour to create a form of Paul McGrath that's passable, and hes nowhere near what I would have been able able to create previously. A 5-10 minute job in previous games. Pretty annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭DoubleD

DoubleD wrote: »
    Is there any option file out that has all the old classic teams in it? I'm really disappointed all the old classic teams aren't in this and that they've just given us a classic Europe and classic rest of the world with a smattering of recent players.

There was simply nothing better than creating a cup with just the old classic teams and playing it on the highest level with a mate against the computer. Made for fantastic football at a really challenging level with my self created classic Ireland.

The thoughts of having to create a classic Ireland team are a nightmare, but having to do it for the Dutch, Italians, Brazilians, French, Argentinians, English and a rest of world team just seems like a mammoth task that I'm not willing to undertake.

Also, just on that, the editing options this year are a piece of ****. I don't know why they changed it so much from the previous games, its next to impossible to get a decent likeness of a player. This used to be a part of the game that I used to enjoy, creating players from scratch and doing them justice, but this year they have scaled back massively on the options available, making it next to impossible to replicate properly a footballer.

Obviously the first factor I look at with any pro game is how well it plays, but the editing options used to be a factor for me as well, now it seems as if they've turned their back on that part of the community, which is a shame.

Its 01:20 and its literally taken me an hour to create a form of Paul McGrath that's passable, and hes nowhere near what I would have been able able to create previously. A 5-10 minute job in previous games. Pretty annoying.

I'm some dope, please ignore all of my bitching about the editing - its brilliant, best yet maybe. I failed to see the very important R1/L1 options concerning face building and hairstyles, which opens up an entire new world of possibilities for me. Sigh. I'm almost sad in a way, now I know I'm gonna spend the next week creating players and teams and not even playing the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Third day playing this tonight and it was the same old ongoing saga of me being absolutely appalling at Pro. It's always been the case, but I always thought the ton of problems with the game just kept me from wanting to get better. But PES 2014 hasn't been driving me away. The way they've connected dribbling and passing really appeals to me - sure you only get to sprint one maybe two strides unless you're unbelievably wide open, but the way momentum carries defenders past you when you quickly stop is just as sastisfying as burning past a player.

But at one point this game just started being genuinely brilliant - and it was all to do with the right stick. Forever I'd just jabbed the stick in a direction and hoped it would get me some space, but with the slower pace I *finally* realised I could put my foot on the ball, move the right stick in the direction I wanted the ball to be at my feet and time moving off with the left stick to get past step in tackles. (I have auto feint turned off.) So, if opponent coming in from top right, I'm pressing down left on RS.

What I didn't expect was how useful the right stick is in defence because it controls the player's weight. Want to win a header? Contest it as usual but pushing the right stick toward the direction the ball is coming from. Want to close distance without your defender over-committing? Keep right stick pushed goal side while moving freely with left stick (not holding X/A or sprint).

Eventually since right stick is used to try intercept passes I was pushing it the whole time working out how I'm supposed to do that and press buttons and it's such a good system for defence. I've never liked how holding a button would track the opponent's run, it felt too automatic. But moving freely using both sticks provides better chances of breaking up play in midfield and the final third because RS attempts step-in tackles without freezing you up as much if you get it wrong - and as I discovered it provides almost no shot defence. So now in two thirds of the pitch I'm more actively involved in the game, watching my opponent's feet, trying to keep RS pressed in the direction he's going - but for the back four jumping back to usual habits of trying to time the double click step-in tackle. It's finally interesting to play without the ball.

Presumably all this was covered in the tutorials that I'm too impatient to play through.

Advertisement