Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather v Canelo Alvarez September 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Henno30 wrote: »
    It's the best fight for Mayweather that could be made right now, that's for sure, but am I alone in not being overly impressed with Canelo? I thought Trout beat him, and while that's not really a knock on him I thought he gassed badly down the stretch which would be crucial against Mayweather.

I think he'll have to take it to Floyd early and stop him to tell the truth, or at least do some serious damage. Mayweather will be moving like he hasn't moved in years and if Canelo starts to run out of gas without having left his mark on Floyd, it'll be all over.

This fight will be a tough task for Floyd. A lot tougher than what Guerrero was. He is meeting a young and fresh and big 152 lber. If the 2 lbs doesn't pose issues, (which I really doubt considering that Canelo is growing as we speak), then Canelo will present major issues. Floyd isn't Trout. Trout is a bigger dude, with bigger reach. He also is very neat and tricky. Floyd at this stage doen't really work all that much. I can't see him tiring Canelo or really hurting Canelo.

Anyone else rooting for Floyd all the way? I hope he can win and I hope he is pushed into showing us a lot more than what was needed to beat The Ghost!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

walshb wrote: »
    Anyone else rooting for Floyd all the way? I hope he can win and I hope he is pushed into showing us a lot more than what was needed to beat The Ghost!

Don't think I will be rooting for either fighter in particular. I'm really hoping for a top drawer boxing bout. Floyd's last bout with Guerrero didn't live up to the hype and Canelo looked a bit tired & drained against Trout.

I can see Floyd on the move, slick, fast & picking his shots carefully, while Canelo will try back him in a corner & nail him. Canelo's guard is pretty good too. Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

I think this is his career defining fight . Win this and he can say goodbye by fighting 4 cans for all i care . Hope he pulls it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

It would definitely be a great end for Floyd if he won and I agree, if he wins this I couldn't give a damn who he fights...even though Pac, Khan and Marquez would be nice fights to see :rolleyes: I'm still gunning for Canelo though...the lad is definitely going to be a major fighter in whatever weight he decides on and this would be such a great platform for him...I genuinely think he can win eventhough there have been arguably better fighters who have not gotten over the line against Floyd....He'll have to outpunch Floyd though...thats the only way the judges might side for him on a decision. If he outpunches Floyd, which is a tall ask and shows his power he has a very good chance then...I still think he'll probably try for a stoppage though...he'll be violently dangerous if he gets Floyd into a corner...Eventhough it's 3 months away I'm buzzing for this one. Hope it's a very very good fight. Something along the lines of De La Hoya/Floyd would be sick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

This wont be as good as some think IMO, I reckon Floyd will win easily enough on points.

Canelo is overrated.

TheComeUp wrote: »
    I genuinely think he can win eventhough there have been arguably better fighters who have not gotten over the line against Floyd....

I would certainly argue against that. If we're speaking about Floyd at 147 lbs and above then I don't think any of Floyd's wins there were against a more dangerous opponent than Canelo. We've got Judah, Oscar, JMM, Mosley, Hatton, Cotto, Guerrero, Ortiz, and Baldomir!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

This wont be as good as some think IMO, I reckon Floyd will win easily enough on points.

Canelo is overrated.
    Before the Trout fight i would have agreed with you however i was impressed with Canelo's defence Vs Trout he was able to slip punches suprisingly well, i dought floyd will be able to hurt Canelo at all so reckon canelo can put the pressure on for 12 rounds, Canelo will have a hugh weight advantage and if he is able to get in close lean on floyd and make his weight tell floyd will have a hard nights work, i'd still back floyd but dont think its easy and i wouldnt be shocked if he was to lose

Before the Trout fight i would have agreed with you however i was impressed with Canelo's defence Vs Trout he was able to slip punches suprisingly well, i dought floyd will be able to hurt Canelo at all so reckon canelo can put the pressure on for 12 rounds, Canelo will have a hugh weight advantage and if he is able to get in close lean on floyd and make his weight tell floyd will have a hard nights work, i'd still back floyd but dont think its easy and i wouldnt be shocked if he was to lose

I just think Floyd will fight a very smart defensive fight, I don't think this will be overly entertaining and I think a lot could be disappointed. Floyd's fitness, accuracy and speed are exceptional even at 36.

I have no reason to believe this will be anything but a Floyd win, I agree to an extent that Floyd wont be able to hurt Canelo but that wont really matter. I think he'll pick his shots well and out box him for the 12 rounds.

Trout is about the only person significant Canelo has fought, this is a huge step up in class for him and i'd be surprised if Mayweather lost this, i really would.

I find it so bizarre that Floyd at this stage of his career is taking on a man at least one weight bigger (close to peak) yet he stalled so much on the Manny fight, insisting on extra drug testing. The biggest fight of our generation gone forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

I find it so bizarre that Floyd at this stage of his career is taking on a man at least one weight bigger (close to peak) yet he stalled so much on the Manny fight, insisting on extra drug testing. The biggest fight of our generation gone forever.

It is bizarre, that's why I think Showtime pressure had something to do with this. A man doesn't change the habits of a lifetime overnight.

I see Floyd is 1/4 and Canelo 11/4 on Paddy Power. Considerable favourite. I wouldn't have expected that.

It is bizarre, that's why I think Showtime pressure had something to do with this. A man doesn't change the habits of a lifetime overnight.

I am not sold on this fight yet. I hope to god it goes ahead, but I am a bit perplexed by it.

You'd really wonder what went on there alright.

You'd really wonder what went on there alright.

One can trash it out all day and night, but the real stumbling block was these drugs tests that Floyd put in. Even if Manny was on drugs I still think Floyd would have beaten him, and I still think Canelo is the more dangerous opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

I reckon this fight was in the pipeline for ages. Showtime are big business, & there is no way they would have flashed so much cash at Mayweather without this fight being on the table. It makes business sense. They'd stand to cover their overall investment with just this fight alone. A win for 36 year old Floyd over young up & coming Canelo - the timing is right.

That win may not come as easy in a year or two when Canelo wipes out all others in the division.

boxer.fan wrote: »
    I reckon this fight was in the pipeline for ages. Showtime are big business, & there is no way they would have flashed so much cash at Mayweather without this fight being on the table. It makes business sense. They'd stand to cover their overall investment with just this fight alone. A win for 36 year old Floyd over young up & coming Canelo - the timing is right.

That win may not come as easy in a year or two when Canelo wipes out all others in the division.

Possibly, but if it does actually happen, I think Floyd has had his arm twisted a little. Supposedly the Mayweather camp were insisting on 150 if they were to do the fight at all, even last week Floyd Sr was saying that Floyd wouldn't fight Canelo anywhere above welterweight. The fact that it's even at 152 suggests pressure has been applied from somewhere.

I remember back when Guerrero was announced as his next opponent, there were a number of reports on Mayweather being unhappy about people trying to push him into a fight, that he was still the boss and he picked who he fought. Although it was never stated publicly, it was clear that Canelo was guy he was being pressured to fight.

It's not necessarily that Canelo is such a monstrous threat, although he is certainly a threat to some extent, it's just that this is not the type of fight you expect Floyd Mayweather to take if he can avoid it. I think he'd gladly have fought Danny Garcia, but someone or something dictated otherwise.

Should he get by Canelo I can't see how he moves up. Canelo would have been the ideal final fight. The ultimate test, but as mentioned, best to get him now as opposed to 2 years down the road when he may well be at MW, meaning it wouldn't happen, or still at 154 lbs and a lot more mature. The remaining 4 fights against who? Only a stale Pacquiao, or a Khan fight could be a real seller.

Should he get by Canelo I can't see how he moves up. Canelo would have been the ideal final fight. The ultimate test, but as mentioned, best to get him now as opposed to 2 years down the road when he may well be at MW, meaning it wouldn't happen, or still at 154 lbs and a lot more mature. The remaining 4 fights against who? Only a stale Pacquiao, or a Khan fight could be a real seller.
    Tbh if he beats Canelo i dont really care who he fights, outside of that there isnt any real challanges, would be a bit unfair to expect floyd to move up to middleweight really, Canelo is the only fight i can think of that Mayweather could lose, besides if he beats Canelo really it would be the last big win of his career the rest would just be paydays, reckon this could do big big buys wont suprise me if it does near 2 million

What you guys reckon Canelo will be paid for this Floyd has his guarenteed 32m Guerrero got 3m i think Canelo will surely get a good bit more maybe close to 10m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

One can trash it out all day and night, but the real stumbling block was these drugs tests that Floyd put in. Even if Manny was on drugs I still think Floyd would have beaten him, and I still think Canelo is the more dangerous opponent.

Very simple, Manny Didn't or i should say Arum didn't want to fight Mayweather-the cash cow would have been dead if they had fought.

Add in Mayweather's dislike of Arum and him already drawing big ppv's without Manny it was not going to happen.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

What you guys reckon Canelo will be paid for this Floyd has his guarenteed 32m Guerrero got 3m i think Canelo will surely get a good bit more maybe close to 10m

With the PPV revenue I expect Canelo to get more than that.

It's been some craic watching the Mayweather fanboys trying to cope with his catchweight u-turn over the past few days :D

With the PPV revenue I expect Canelo to get more than that.

It's been some craic watching the Mayweather fanboys trying to cope with his catchweight u-turn over the past few days :D
    Ye quite funny alright they no longer seem to be stressing how mannys fights where all at catchweights ha tbh i dont care if its a catchweight as long as the fight happens

Ye quite funny alright they no longer seem to be stressing how mannys fights where all at catchweights ha tbh i dont care if its a catchweight as long as the fight happens

I jut hope it doesn't weaken Canelo too much. Other than that I don't really care, but the blatant, shameless hypocrisy is something to behold :D

Like I said before, Floyd Mayweather got no problem with a catchweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Going to be an absolute classic imo, Mayweather is in for a tough night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Floyd to win on points is nailed on here,tight fight cant see it being a war or a decent spectacle but as the saying goes

''SOMEONES O HAS GOT TO GO''

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Is there actually no rehydration limit for them?

• Advertisement

Tickets sold out in 70 seconds amazing

Advertisement