Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather v Canelo Alvarez September 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

What time should the matthysse Garcia fight start at?

I'd like to know this too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

nocoverart wrote: »
    I'd like to know this too

I'd say bout 3.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Taken from 2011 interview before Canelo/Hatton fight.

Could Avarez have Irish ancestry?

“There might have been an Irish grandfather somewhere there in the past,” Alvarez told your correspondent.
    It is not out of the question. A contingent of Irish Catholics fought for the Mexicans in the American-Mexican War in the mid-Nineteenth century, and became known as ‘Los San Patricios’, literally in Spanish, ‘Those of St Patrick’.
    They fought along the border of San Luis. Famously, eighty-five Irishmen were captured alive in those battles and tortured and hung. They became Mexican heroes. ‘Los Patricios’ are honoured with statues in several Mexican cities.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/8361605/Saul-Alvarez-QandA-who-is-Matthew-Hattons-opponent-for-the-WBC-light-middleweight-title.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    It doesn't matter who has the best personality or who's the nicer person though. I like Floyd because he's an unbelievable boxer and it's a pleasure to watch him fight. He doesn't "deserve" to lose by any means.

I suppose he doesn't deserve to lose. But I'd love to see him lose. It's not as if I have a problem with high earning sports stars. I love Pacaman Cotto Hatton and Mathese they aren't as irritating as Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    You mean you choose to pay for it.

No that's not what I mean. I'm not paying I was just providing a good link to watch it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

fsfg wrote: »
    No that's not what I mean. I'm not paying I was just providing a good link to watch it

Ah, I see now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I'm getting really hyped for the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Didnt realise it was on soooooo late... 3.30am I could possibly do, but 5.00am start is just too late. I'd have to get an illegal small river of TCP/IP packets as well if you know what I mean. Pity cos I'd love to see the fight. I would reckon Mayweather will win a unanimous decision over 12 rounds though.
    jamaamaj wrote: »
    Taken from 2011 interview before Canelo/Hatton
    fight.Could Avarez have Irish ancestry?

The first time I saw him a few years back I thought he had to be Irish. Then I heard on Newstalk during the week that he likes riding horses, so maybe his grandfather was from Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

A bar down the street is showing this, so thats me sorted.

I can see why people want Mayweather to lose, he is, put simply, a scumbag. Not really a nicer way to put it to be honest, when you beat women and broadcast racist remarks over the internet, what else would you call him? Call that tough or unfair on my part, but if my next-door neighbour acted the same as he did, I would call him that.

He can live the life he wants, and he does, in the ring he is unmatched to be honest but he is not my favourite boxer of all time (another discussion). Some of his choices in recent years, other than Cotto really, weren't exactly stellar, Guerrero and Oritz spring to mind, did they actually deserve a fight with him? I think it was more of a pay-day and safe choices.

Most see this for Mayweather and I agree, although as pointed out previously in this thread, his age will be interesting in this, it obviously has its pro in that it shows his vast experience, but this is the first time he has fought twice in a calendar year since 2007, and Alvarez is a youthful fighter with plenty of gas in the tank, and hits like a horse.

I look forward to it regardless for 2 boxers going head to head, I hope the build up justifies it all and that the fight proves to be worth it. I see Mayweather on points, but I say that on the Mayweather of maybe 4 years ago.

Lets all agree on one thing, we want a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

Gintonious wrote: »
    A bar down the street is showing this, so thats me sorted.

I can see why people want Mayweather to lose, he is, put simply, a scumbag. Not really a nicer way to put it to be honest, when you beat women and broadcast racist remarks over the internet, what else would you call him? Call that tough or unfair on my part, but if my next-door neighbour acted the same as he did, I would call him that.

He can live the life he wants, and he does, in the ring he is unmatched to be honest but he is not my favourite boxer of all time (another discussion). Some of his choices in recent years, other than Cotto really, weren't exactly stellar, Guerrero and Oritz spring to mind, did they actually deserve a fight with him? I think it was more of a pay-day and safe choices.

Most see this for Mayweather and I agree, although as pointed out previously in this thread, his age will be interesting in this, it obviously has its pro in that it shows his vast experience, but this is the first time he has fought twice in a calendar year since 2007, and Alvarez is a youthful fighter with plenty of gas in the tank, and hits like a horse.

I look forward to it regardless for 2 boxers going head to head, I hope the build up justifies it all and that the fight proves to be worth it. I see Mayweather on points, but I say that on the Mayweather of maybe 4 years ago.

Lets all agree on one thing, we want a classic.
    I don't agree with your prediction but I can't knock the rest of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Damn, that's a late start for the main event. I suppose UFC is the same, but as a casual boxing fan I don't think I'll stay up for this, though I am excited for it having watched All Access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

This fight wil be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised who wins. Its pretty much youth vs experience.

But come to think of it canelo at his age as fought as much fights as mayweather. What does that say ?

Assuming one of them fought pacquio and still is undefeated before this match the winner, would make thios match more fascinating.

A thing that not so much bothers me is the way the media hypes up mayeathers opponents and yet when the fight mayweather they pose little challenge or whatsoever.

I'd love to see a young mayweather fight canelo now, If that were so, I'd say canelo would win.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭anto77

Had fully intended on backing Canelo for the ko but having watched some highlights of their last few fights that I watched live at the time I realised that I made the same mistake I always do - I had gotten caught up in the 24/7 - Show time hype and forgotten what a class act Floyd is in the ring. Simply, Canelo isn't in the same league. He was often made look wild at times against trout and on many occasions his timing was way off.

Like another poster said, Canelo's strength is his combinations but if he does let a few off no doubt he will eat a few coming in and Floyd will block/roll out of danger. Think a lot of people who don't watch boxing regularly could end up being disappointed with this one and might say the occasion got the better of Canelo or he was drained. Boxing fans will once again admire Floyds technical brilliance. My prediction is that Floyd will box the ears off him for an easy points win but wouldn't be surprised if he pulled out a late stoppage. He nearly did with cotto and I thought cotto fought the fight of his life that night. I don't see the age thing as a big issue, he hasn't taken much punishment and he looks after himself well, sure look at Hopkins still going strong.

Reckin Lucas will ko Garcia. I really don't rate Garcia as a boxer and think he's always looking for that big hook. Fair play to him in that its worked so far but I think Lucas will show him who his daddy is tonight, and I don't mean Angel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Did anyone see the size of Broner on all access the state of the fat slob, Mayweather you can kinda handle because lets face it if you where as good as him you would be cocky, but Broner as if he is as good as Canelo anyway, Cant wait to see Broner loose and unlike Floyd i'd be full sure it will happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Come on PBF- the boxing perfectionist. A certain contender for GOAT when he retires. Think ill sleep now, set the alarm for 4 and look for a receipe then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Floyd a GOAT contender...not even close

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

TT09 wrote: »
    I'd say bout 3.30

I would add another hour to that 4.30 the earliest I would say. Mayweather fights so late in Vegas, Mosley started at around 6. He rarely fights before 5. I would absolutely love the time aswell but Mayweather decides when he fights after the co-main event.

Not too sure if to sign up to boxnation or rely on a steam. Is the box nation steam reliable? Id hate to pay for it and the steam to crash. But I'd pay for a quality steam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Not too sure if to sign up to boxnation or rely on a steam. Is the box nation steam reliable? Id hate to pay for it and the steam to crash. But I'd pay for a quality steam

I don't think you can get the official stream in ROI, just BoxNation on TV. 12.50 sign up and another 12 50 for the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Is there any danger of this starting before 4am? I want to take a nap but am afraid of missing it!

• Advertisement

Is there any danger of this starting before 4am? I want to take a nap but am afraid of missing it!

Mayweather definitely wont start before 4am. Garcia / Mattysee could depending on how the fights before it go.

nocoverart wrote: »
    I don't think you can get the official stream in ROI, just BoxNation on TV. 12.50 sign up and another 12 50 for the month.

I have upc so can't get the channel. But I can use a poxy to sign up to box nation on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Definitely not, sleep til 4:30 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Compu Global Hyper Meganet

Floyd a GOAT contender...not even close

Greatest I've ever seen. Not only is he undefeated, but (aside from De La Hoya, which was probably an aberration) I've never seen him get even remotely troubled by any opponent.

If Pacquaio is seen as a GOAT contender, then Floyd surely must be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Greatest I've ever seen. Not only is he undefeated, but (aside from De La Hoya, which was probably an aberration) I've never seen him get even remotely troubled by any opponent.

If Pacquaio is seen as a GOAT contender, then Floyd surely must be too.

Mosley rocked him twice, still get chills watching that.
    Corley hurt Mayweather and came close to knocking him down, not many people seem to know this
    Castillo arguably beat him and ran him very close another time.
    De La Hoya landed a few decent shots as well as you mentioned.

So I wouldn't say he's never been remotely troubled. But he is indeed a great.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

It'll likely be closer to 5.
    4:45 at the earliest, i'd say.

Could possibly even be after 5.

Can't be sure though, obviously.

could anyone PM me good sites to watch the fight in the morning. I wont be able to stay up to watch it but would love to get the full fight a few hours after it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Ah, feck it. I decided to skip the nap and watch the 'all access' previews. This Canelo lad looks more like he's from Rathkeale than Mexico!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 NV011956

Hey guys, anyone doing around by round? I won't be able to stream thefight so would appreciate it. Thanks.

• Advertisement

NV011956 wrote: »
    Hey guys, anyone doing around by round? I won't be able to stream thefight so would appreciate it. Thanks.

if people don't do it here. You will get loads doing it on Boxrec.

Advertisement