Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'll need a socket fitted. They won't do that in the ETU (white box), so you'll need to turn one of the internals into the main. If the existing cabling is good that's fine, if its poor bell wire they'll have to run new one, probably just into the hallway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ED E wrote: »
    You'll need a socket fitted. They won't do that in the ETU (white box)

thanks, but can you just spell out what you mean here? What is and ETU?

excuse my ignorance :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Seve OB wrote: »
    thanks, but can you just spell out what you mean here? What is and ETU?

excuse my ignorance :rolleyes:

External termination unit. Its that white box cavity where the main wire, called the drop, enters the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

I ordered the SKY Fibre unlimited package from them last week and got the €30/month for 6 months deal (€50/month after that). An engineer is coming out on Saturday to upgrade the face plate. Sky told me I should get up to 80mb down on the line. The eircom cabinet is only 200 metres from my house but due to how the cable is run it's probably a lot longer than this.

As of yet it's been a flawless experience and I'll post back next week with results on speed and how the overall install went.

I live in Moate, Co. Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Finally got things sorted after Eircom and Sky blaming each other for over a week turns out it was Eircoms fault but I'm getting very inconsistent speed checks it can be 45mbps one minute or 3 the next minute, what are the best router settings to ensure the best connection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Posting after upgrade to sky fibre. The engineer called out on Monday and fitted the socket and black router no problem. Sky had said I would then have fibre turned on by Thursday but it only went on this evening. Not the end of the world.

Prior to the switch I was getting download of 4.35Mbps and upload of .63Mbps

After switch I'm getting download of 67.87Mbps and upload of 19.91Mbps.

Happy enough with the whole experience.

edit: those numbers from wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Posting after upgrade to sky fibre. The engineer called out on Monday and fitted the socket and black router no problem. Sky had said I would then have fibre turned on by Thursday but it only went on this evening. Not the end of the world.

Prior to the switch I was getting download of 4.35Mbps and upload of .63Mbps

After switch I'm getting download of 67.87Mbps and upload of 19.91Mbps.

Happy enough with the whole experience.

edit: those numbers from wireless

I was 8.65Mbps Down. .85 Up

Now 66.7Mpbs Down 19Mpbs.

Happy camper

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Zack Morris

When are you guys going to post Speedtest.net results? Don't think I've seen any from Sky yet.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1115254788

Just now wireless on my iPad Air 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

airuser wrote: »
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1115254788

Just now wireless on my iPad Air 2

Enniskillen always gives the most flattering results. What's it like using some of the European servers? Manchester can be tricky too...

• Advertisement

Have a SamKnows Box fitted to my system.

The lowest speed down was this evening at 2100 hours at 64M and the highest 67M. The graph is not a straight line, and it is surprising the times of the day when speeds drop. Example of this is 0200 hours. 0800 hours and evening 1400 hours.

Would prefer for all, an Internet that would give a constant speed for all. I believe that we do not require all this 100 Plus as one company is suggesting.

I get several mags via Internet and it is excellent to see the down load quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

My wireless speeds are quite slow and inconsistent im jealous of some of ye any advice on improving them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Just curious : what VDSL2 modem are they using? A new one or a version of "The Sky Hub"

?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Just curious : what VDSL2 modem are they using? A new one or a version of "The Sky Hub"

?

It's a new 'black' hub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'm 10k from Dublin City Centre... never mind North Cork

3 km from any ADSL2+ node is basically the limit and ~1km from VDSL2 (fibre to kerb)

I know someone in Stoneybatter (absolutely central Dublin) who can't get VDSL2 and won't be able to get it direct from the exchange either as they're directly connected to Crown Alley Exchange in Temple Bar. It's just too far away.
    Yet they're on the same street as an Eircom Cabinet ... They've just got an older route back to the exchange that doesn't use it.

The result : ditched eircom for UPC and will most likely never return.

This kind of thing happens all the time with phone company delivered VDSL. They'll have to eventually move to fibre to home or they'll just continue to lose customers.

brianeoc wrote: »
    I ordered the SKY Fibre unlimited package from them last week and got the €30/month for 6 months deal (€50/month after that). An engineer is coming out on Saturday to upgrade the face plate. Sky told me I should get up to 80mb down on the line. The eircom cabinet is only 200 metres from my house but due to how the cable is run it's probably a lot longer than this.

As of yet it's been a flawless experience and I'll post back next week with results on speed and how the overall install went.

I live in Moate, Co. Westmeath.

So install went fine. Engineer came out as planned on Saturday and upgraded my socket. I was emailed that my broadband would be active the following Wednesday and lo and behold it was. Speeds aren't as hot as advertised but compared to what I was getting it's a massive improvement. Speeds are averaging around

Down 40mb
    Up 20mb

And this is with a PC cabled straight into the router.

I was on 4.5mb down and .7mb up with my previous DSL connection.

I'm going to leave it for a couple of weeks and keep testing. If it doesn't get any better I might contact Sky's support and get them to run a few tests.

Overall the switchover was painless and without any hassles. I'm a bit disappointed with the speeds but hopefully they'll get better. It's light years ahead of the speed I was on.

So install went fine. Engineer came out as planned on Saturday and upgraded my socket. I was emailed that my broadband would be active the following Wednesday and lo and behold it was. Speeds aren't as hot as advertised but compared to what I was getting it's a massive improvement. Speeds are averaging around

Down 40mb
    Up 20mb

I'm going to leave it for a couple of weeks and keep testing. If it doesn't get any better I might contact Sky's support and get them to run a few tests.

Overall the switchover was painless and without any hassles. I'm a bit disappointed with the speeds but hopefully they'll get better. It's light years ahead of the speed I was on.
    How far are you from the cabinet?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

jca wrote: »
    How far are you from the cabinet?

Read the post he quoted in his post.

5starpool wrote: »
    Read the post he quoted in his post.

Nice helpful reply.... I love this site with all its charming helpful posters.....

• Advertisement

Down 40mb
    Up 20mb

Did you find out your actual line length from the cabinet?

Did you find out your actual line length from the cabinet?

From a birds eye point of view it's only 200m.

Unfortunately I think I'm the second last house in our estate on the eircom line run. Is there anyway I can check this by going into the settings of the SKY router?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm on crappy broadband... still no fibre in my area :rolleyes:

My speeds range from 0.09 mb to about 2.5mb on the best of days, but mostly hover just under 2. I get all to many bad periods where I may as well be on old fashioned dial up. These periods tend to not just be for a few minutes, but last a good few days, maybe a week and get very frustrating. I've been onto sky loads about it, but they haven't been able to solve the issue. TBH, I think it's an Eircom issue, as I used to be with them and had similar issues.

Anyway, when on a good day, I can generally do what I need to do on the web and stream stuff ok. eg the other night, the wife was watching Netflix over wi-fi to the PS3, and at same time, I was streaming football on SKY Go on the laptop. No real issues with the streaming, a few jumps and pauses here and there, but not really noticeable.

So what real benefit is fibre going to bring, and really and truly can anybody spot any difference between 60mb and 40mb without doing a speedtest? I doubt it!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Nice helpful reply.... I love this site with all its charming helpful posters.....

What? He answered the exact question you asked in the post he had quoted in his post? How is that not helpful? You obviously had missed that so I was just saying to go back and read it.

If you want to be so touchy about things then that's your prerogative, but you are taking my intention up totally wrong.

5starpool wrote: »
    What? He answered the exact question you asked in the post he had quoted in his post? How is that not helpful? You obviously had missed that so I was just saying to go back and read it.

If you want to be so touchy about things then that's your prerogative, but you are taking my intention up totally wrong.

I re asked the question.... It's in my post...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Down 40mb
    Up 20mb

Sounds like a Speedtest over Wifi have you tried with Ethernet? or logged onto the router to see your sync speed?

Sounds like a Speedtest over Wifi have you tried with Ethernet? or logged onto the router to see your sync speed?

Unfortunately not, It's a speedtest done from a PC that's wired directly (1m cat5 cable) to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

A couple of weeks in and I've been noticing the dreaded "peak time" speed drop for the past few days. I was getting a consistent 40 download regardless of the time of day/night. Anyone else in the same boat?

4100481198.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

O'Prez wrote: »
    A couple of weeks in and I've been noticing the dreaded "peak time" speed drop for the past few days. I was getting a consistent 40 download regardless of the time of day/night. Anyone else in the same boat?

4100481198.png

Are you on wireless or wired?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

I tested it on both with no real difference.

Advertisement