Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

When using the Eircom checker it showed as being capable of 60mb. Sky checked the line and said 60mb. I had a local Eircom tech tell me my line was capable of 60mb. This was all before going live today. I'll ring em tomorrow anyway and see what the craic is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

O'Prez wrote: »
    Mine got enabled today too. Here's my results (tested wirelessly) and screen shot of the hub statistics. I was told prior to ordering, my line was capable of 60MB so surely the downstream shouldn't be set so low....right?

4057056152.png

hub.jpg

I would test Wired before contacting ... You would be surprised how much packet loss happens over wifi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4058617209

My speed test just now very happy

Sky said 70M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

keith_d99 wrote: »
    I would test Wired before contacting ... You would be surprised how much packet loss happens over wifi!

Their hub is only syncing at 37mb though, nothing to do with wifi. Either the prequal was wrong or there is a fault as the attenuation is showing the line as nearly 1.5km from the cabinet (from memory)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Pick up the phone and listen for any crackle.

A while ago my sync dropped down to about 40 megabits (from 70), and a crackle appeared on the line. They replaced the copper from the street to the main duct of my house, and now I get an attainable of 100 Megabits @ 450-500m from the cab.

Eircom will also be quicker to send out for repair if there's a problem with the normal POTS part of the line rather than a customer not being able to download Steam games as quickly as they should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Received an email that Sky fibre got activated in the house today. Signed up to pay 50 euro for fibre and phone as part of a 12 month contract. Got home to test the service. In the post, was flyer 30 euro for 6 months and 50 euro for the last 6 months. Got onto Sky and they agreed to honour the flyer price as I only got the service that day. Nice 120 euro saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Did everyone get the black box? I had the technician out on Tuesday he put in the socket and moved my white box,I queried him saying I was asked on the phone whether I had a black or white box and he told me it doesn't matter,it goes active Friday I hope it doesn't make a difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

EdK wrote: »
    Did everyone get the black box? I had the technician out on Tuesday he put in the socket and moved my white box,I queried him saying I was asked on the phone whether I had a black or white box and he told me it doesn't matter,it goes active Friday I hope it doesn't make a difference!

Ring Sierra and get him back out. The white hub is not enabled for vdsl

Should have got a different hub. Contact Sky.

Ok new hub sorted and I got a call from the guy changing it at the source saying it should be active in 10 minutes that was a couple of hours ago does it take long to kick in? I was told it would be active tomorrow initially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Thanks for all the insights lads. Turns out it was all down to the dodgy wiring done by Eircom years ago. Sky customer service is excellent. Can't fault em at all.

Ok new hub sorted and I got a call from the guy changing it at the source saying it should be active in 10 minutes that was a couple of hours ago does it take long to kick in? I was told it would be active tomorrow initially

When I got my hub installed on Friday last and the email from Sky saying that if would go live on the Tuesday between 9 to 5

Sky informed KNN 0n the Friday and I switched over lunch time Tuesday.

O'Prez wrote: »
    Thanks for all the insights lads. Turns out it was all down to the dodgy wiring done by Eircom years ago. Sky customer service is excellent. Can't fault em at all.

Agree with you saying CS from Sky is excellent.

It is the reason I did not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hi all, monster thread!

My parents have sky at home and eircom broadband which is woeful. They aren't in an eFibre area, does this rule them out of Sky broadband also?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

My parents have sky at home and eircom broadband which is woeful. They aren't in an eFibre area, does this rule them out of Sky broadband also?

Yes, this rules them out. Sky Fibre is simply reselling Eircom VDSL (eFibre).

Hi all, monster thread!

Thanks!

No, one can still get Sky BB. Before one does anything, is there a reason why the BB is so poor.

They could be a long distance from the exchange.

bk wrote: »
    Yes, this rules them out. Sky Fibre is simply reselling Eircom VDSL (eFibre).

Fibre is not an option. This is why I said he should check the factors why the Standard BB Is so poor.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

airuser wrote: »
    No, one can still get Sky BB. Before one does anything, is there a reason why the BB is so poor.

They could be a long distance from the exchange.

Just to clarify, they can get standard Sky Broadband using ADSL/ADSL2+ which will perform exactly the same as their current slow Eircom broadband.

If they do switch to Sky, I wouldn't expect any speed increases.

They can't get Sky Fibre, as it is also resold Eircom VDSL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

have had a quick scan through the most recent posts and cant find an answer, nor can I find it on the sky site. If someone could tell me, I am already a Sky Broadband subscriber, my download speeds are fairly poor with 4Mbps according speedtest (that's wired)...do I need to upgrade to fibre or request it? Or are they rolling fibre out as standard for all broadband customers where it is available?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

have had a quick scan through the most recent posts and cant find an answer, nor can I find it on the sky site. If someone could tell me, I am already a Sky Broadband subscriber, my download speeds are fairly poor with 4Mbps according speedtest (that's wired)...do I need to upgrade to fibre or request it? Or are they rolling fibre out as standard for all broadband customers where it is available?

You have to 'apply' for fibre upgrade if it's available to you.

• Advertisement

Having a nightmare with the fibre installation, first the engineer tells me I don't need the black box so I rectify that, then the guy rings from the exchange saying it should be good to go that was yesterday afternoon still not working.

I ring Sky this afternoon and he says it looks ok to him but tells me I should have microfilters on the sockets which the engineer specifically told me I didn't need (he actually took them off himself) so now my case is escalated to the fault team and im frustrated and none the wiser. Nothing is ever easy in my house for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Having a nightmare with the fibre installation, first the engineer tells me I don't need the black box so I rectify that, then the guy rings from the exchange saying it should be good to go that was yesterday afternoon still not working.

I ring Sky this afternoon and he says it looks ok to him but tells me I should have microfilters on the sockets which the engineer specifically told me I didn't need (he actually took them off himself) so now my case is escalated to the fault team and im frustrated and none the wiser. Nothing is ever easy in my house for some reason.

Always a pain when what normally goes well for most people goes wrong for you!

For what it's worth, I was told by the Engineer that I needed the filters for the White Router (while I was still using Broadband and waiting for the Exchange work to be done), but once I switched over to the Black Router I was to remove the filter. Really obvious question, is the Modem plugged into the correct port on the wall socket?

J.

I thought of that too so I switched the ports and nothing happened so I switched it back I don't have great access to the socket as its behind a washer and dryer (old school house with the main phone line in the hall) im starting to wonder if this engineer did his job correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

For VDSL they should always fit a filtered NTU or double socket at the main point. Once that work in the house is done all microfilters are redundant as the filtering is done at the main drop. DSL will come from the left port, phone service from the right port and any extensions around the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

I thought of that too so I switched the ports and nothing happened so I switched it back I don't have great access to the socket as its behind a washer and dryer (old school house with the main phone line in the hall) im starting to wonder if this engineer did his job correctly

I'm not an expert but if the main phone line is in the hall, why is the new double socket (NTU) not there too? If the Engineer said you didn't need the Black Router for Fibre (which you do) then I'd immediately be suspicious of any other work he's done...

J.

jasonb wrote: »
    I'm not an expert but if the main phone line is in the hall, why is the new double socket (NTU) not there too? If the Engineer said you didn't need the Black Router for Fibre (which you do) then I'd immediately be suspicious of any other work he's done...

J.

Oh he did install the socket in the hall I just can't see it or access it too well but i did try switching the port it was connected to and it didn't make any difference

This, about the Black Router has been mentioned a few times.

The Black Hub is required for fibre.

NTU which Eircom installed for me several months ago, is different. It is pre filtered. The Faceplate has one side market for Internet and the other for phone.

When Sky installed the Black Router last Friday, I just plugged Router into the internet side and the phone and extension onto the other. Left the filters on.

All is working OK

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

airuser wrote: »
    This, about the Black Router has been mentioned a few times.

The Black Hub is required for fibre.

NTU which Eircom installed for me several months ago, is different. It is pre filtered. The Faceplate has one side market for Internet and the other for phone.

When Sky installed the Black Router last Friday, I just plugged Router into the internet side and the phone and extension onto the other. Left the filters on.

All is working OK

Filters are redundant, but they wont cause a problem unless they fail.

And this is why I think Sky's approach of having separate install teams isn't a good idea. Too much opportunity for mistakes to be made and for engineers to be blaming each other.

Eircom/Vodafones approach of one engineer visit who does it all at the same time and makes sure you have an actual working broadband connection before they leave is far better for the customer IMO.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    And this is why I think Sky's approach of having separate install teams isn't a good idea. Too much opportunity for mistakes to be made and for engineers to be blaming each other.

Eircom/Vodafones approach of one engineer visit who does it all at the same time and makes sure you have an actual working broadband connection before they leave is far better for the customer IMO.

Yeah it's very frustrating especially now I'm waiting for a call in the next 72 hours that might not come until after the weekend

Advertisement