Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

All connections in the cab are numbered and recorded, it's easy verify if there is a working landline. If the fibre is already installed the cab details would be verified by the original fibre installer.

Technically maybe but KN installers doing first time installs put a tone generator on the line in the house to help them find the line in the copper cab. He then records it for posterity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Technically maybe but KN installers doing first time installs put a tone generator on the line in the house to help them find the line in the copper cab. He then records it for posterity.

Only when there isn't a landline because the cable records cannot be trusted, lots of errors and typos

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Only when there isn't a landline because the cable records cannot be trusted, lots of errors and typos

Is this conjecture or do posters have an insight of what eircom SOP's are for cabling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

They guy installing my efibre used a tone generator and I've had a landline since 1997. I thought the connection in the cabinet had to be physically moved to the loom connecting it to the vdsl cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

:confused:

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    :confused:

Sorry, meant to say working landline, it would be easy to verify if there is a working number on the line. There are plenty on data only packages, ie, no number

jca wrote: »
    They guy installing my efibre used a tone generator and I've had a landline since 1997. I thought the connection in the cabinet had to be physically moved to the loom connecting it to the vdsl cabinet.

Maybe the record was wrong, typos, 89 instead of 98 etc.

In the cab there is a jumper cable from exchange side to distribution side. To connect to VDSL this direct jumper is removed and it's then jumpered from exchange side to vdsl to distribution side. This is similar to the jumpering that was done in the exchanges to ADSL

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

Is there a coverage map for Sky fibre? I assuem it is major cities only at this stage

tombrown wrote: »
    Is there a coverage map for Sky fibre? I assuem it is major cities only at this stage

Yes, It's on the Eircom website. Sky have no infrastructure in this country, they just resell on Eircoms network
    http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

Thanks. Now I have a dumb quesiton (I tried trawling the thread, but got lost :S)

I moved from eircom to Sky a couple of years ago. I live in the country about a mile from the village where the local exchange/concentrator is. I have a standard DSL product giving me 8mbps down and 0.5mbps up, little to no congestion at this stage (though Eircom keep trying to sell me their "zero congestion" product as an upgrade :))

According to the map the fiber comes to our area int he next 12 months, but I assume this is only fiber to the exchange, right? Am I likely to see anything better than what I currently get from Sky?

• Advertisement

tombrown wrote: »
    Thanks. Now I have a dumb quesiton (I tried trawling the thread, but got lost :S)

I moved from eircom to Sky a couple of years ago. I live in the country about a mile from the village where the local exchange/concentrator is. I have a standard DSL product giving me 8mbps down and 0.5mbps up, little to no congestion at this stage (though Eircom keep trying to sell me their "zero congestion" product as an upgrade :))

According to the map the fiber comes to our area int he next 12 months, but I assume this is only fiber to the exchange, right? Am I likely to see anything better than what I currently get from Sky?

You need to be within 2KM of the exchange or fibre cab to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Darando

Quick Q - Eircom website says line is efibre enabled on my line. If going down the Sky/Eircom route (as opposed to exisitng UPC BB) what happens physically to my setup? does it need new wiring? Currently it's an old junction box at the door which is wired to a socket (RJ45) - God knows what its wired with! then another socket in the kitchen which I know is linked to the previous RJ45 socket with bell cable!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Darando wrote: »
    Quick Q - Eircom website says line is efibre enabled on my line. If going down the Sky/Eircom route (as opposed to exisitng UPC BB) what happens physically to my setup? does it need new wiring? Currently it's an old junction box at the door which is wired to a socket (RJ45) - God knows what its wired with! then another socket in the kitchen which I know is linked to the previous RJ45 socket with bell cable!

They put a new socket at that master in by the hall door, the cable from there to the pole or manhole should be proper industrial phone cabling that eircom used when they fitted the line. Then the bell wire can be connected to a filtered extension terminal on the new socket. Modem would need to stay at that socket unless there was new CAT5/5e ran to another position.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Smurphy

Sierra engineer was out with me last Thursday, around lunch time.

I just got an email from Sky about 5 mins ago, telling me that fibre was activated (I was hoping it would have been on Saturday, but sadly not).

Just tested it and Download speed is 68 Mpbs and Upload speed is 20 Mbps.

Before this, my speeds were around 6.5 Mbps download and 1.2 Mbps upload and this was also with Sky. I was told by Sky (and Eircom) that my line couldn't handle more than 8Mbps.

My area was upgraded to fibre a few months ago. I had an Eircom rep calling to my door and he did a test and said the best speed I could get would be 70MB.

I held off as they wanted an 18 month contract and I had some very bad experiences with Eircom in the past.

Glad I waited a few weeks for Sky. Really happy with these speeds...just hope it stays like this :)
    I am optimistic...I have been with them for broadband for a year and never had any problems with it!

ED E wrote: »
    They put a new socket at that master in by the hall door, the cable from there to the pole or manhole should be proper industrial phone cabling that eircom used when they fitted the line. Then the bell wire can be connected to a filtered extension terminal on the new socket. Modem would need to stay at that socket unless there was new CAT5/5e ran to another position.

Cheers, wiring would have been put in way back by P&T/Telecom Eireann I suspect, sounds like best enquiring with Sky and then getting an engineer out so see what wiring would be needed. Do Sky send out engineers to survey before you sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Smurphy wrote: »
    Sierra engineer was out with me last Thursday, around lunch time.

I just got an email from Sky about 5 mins ago, telling me that fibre was activated (I was hoping it would have been on Saturday, but sadly not).

Before this, my speeds were around 6.5 Mbps download and 1.2 Mbps upload and this was also with Sky. I was told by Sky (and Eircom) that my line couldn't handle more than 8Mbps.

My area was upgraded to fibre a few months ago. I had an Eircom rep calling to my door and he did a test and said the best speed I could get would be 70MB.

I held off as they wanted an 18 month contract and I had some very bad experiences with Eircom in the past.

Glad I waited a few weeks for Sky. Really happy with these speeds...just hope it stays like this :)
    I am optimistic...I have been with them for broadband for a year and never had any problems with it!

Nice one... I also had the Sierra engineer out with me last Thursday in the morning, no word from Sky yet but hopefully I'll hear something today. I'm getting about 8-9Mbs down and .8Mbps up at the moment, would be very happy with the speeds you're now getting... :)

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Smurphy wrote: »

!

Can I ask a very basic question?, when you test and get your 68 Mbps is that with a laptop / PC connected via an Ethernet cable to the router or is it WIFI?

Is the line currently active? If not youll have an eircom tech out to do the line activation first of all. If thats the case he can tell you what condition things are in.

If its currently active then its up to the sierra lads to make sure its all ok when they do the install.

Is the line currently active? If not youll have an eircom tech out to do the line activation first of all. If thats the case he can tell you what condition things are in.

If its currently active then its up to the sierra lads to make sure its all ok when they do the install.

Line is currently active and used (just for telephone not BB)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Smurphy

mattb74 wrote: »
    Can I ask a very basic question?, when you test and get your 68 Mbps is that with a laptop / PC connected via an Ethernet cable to the router or is it WIFI?

That test was wired with an Ethernet cable. But I just did another test wirelessly (box is downstairs and I'm upstairs). I got 55 Mbps down and 19 Mbps up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Just on this, even if the line was inactive there would be a good chance that no Eircom tech would be sent out. Only if it's disconnected from the exchange completely.

Just on this, even if the line was inactive there would be a good chance that no Eircom tech would be sent out. Only if it's disconnected from the exchange completely.

Well, that depends.

If its left long enough then they send one for the EE, even if its just a case of verifying the dialtone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Well, that depends.

If its left long enough then they send one for the EE, even if its just a case of verifying the dialtone.

Not Sky. Inactive line showing prequal and connected to the exchange, no engineer. Inactive line showing no prequal and not connected to exchange, no engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Already with Sky for broadband but called for upgrade to fibre. An engineer will be out on Monday with the black router and to work on the socket. They will then switch me to fibre on Wednesday.

Found the guy on the phone to be bang on and I got €5 off the HD pack for the next two years. So fibre will cost €5 extra on top of what I was paying.

Currently getting 6meg and the line will be able for 100. Will post next week after everything is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Switched on this morning.

Promised up to 70M

Receiving 67M Down and 20M up Wired.

Wireless iPhone 25M Down 17M up

Wireless iPad 66M Down 19M up

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Zack Morris

airuser wrote: »
    Switched on this morning.

Promised up to 70M

Receiving 67M Down and 20M up Wired.

Wireless iPhone 25M Down 17M up

Wireless iPad 66M Down 19M up

Could you take a screenshot of your stats on your router's configuration page?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 71679 kbps 20478 kbps
    Line Attenuation 18.9 dB 0.0 dB
    Noise Margin 14.7 dB 9.9 dB

Zack Morris

This is what you would like to see, I Presume

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Mine got enabled today too. Here's my results (tested wirelessly) and screen shot of the hub statistics. I was told prior to ordering, my line was capable of 60MB so surely the downstream shouldn't be set so low....right?

4057056152.png

hub.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

I rang em before posting here and was given some utter sh1te about how I wouldn't really notice any difference between 12mb (like I had before) and 60mb like I was promised. However I wasn't being fobbed off with that and after getting nowhere after a few minutes going back and forth with the rep I decided I'll call em again tomorrow when it's been going for 24 hours.

• Advertisement

O'Prez wrote: »
    Mine got enabled today too. Here's my results (tested wirelessly) and screen shot of the hub statistics. I was told prior to ordering, my line was capable of 60MB so surely the downstream shouldn't be set so low....right?

That modem is doing the best it can, target is 8 or 10dB for VDSL. The profile is probably still set to 60 but its not reaching it.

Either the prequal is wrong or theres a problem. 22dB dAtten is a long enough loop from memory.

Advertisement