Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

bk wrote: »
    And this is why I think Sky's approach of having separate install teams isn't a good idea. Too much opportunity for mistakes to be made and for engineers to be blaming each other.

Eircom/Vodafones approach of one engineer visit who does it all at the same time and makes sure you have an actual working broadband connection before they leave is far better for the customer IMO.

True, but I imagine KN/Eircoms inability to show up when they're supposed to was a factor in their decision. Sierra are directly contactable for Sky, ie, An advisor in Sky can contact Sierra and find out where engineers are, with KN/Eircom, the advisor can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Hi guys,

Upc contract for tv and broadband up for renewal. Called sky today to discuss packages, they told me that fiber is now available in my area at 70mbs.

Roughly same price, I'm not a fan of upc tv and have some issues with broadband but when it works it is flawless. Currently on 200mbs package with upc.

What is Sky fiber like? I'm nervous about moving as I the house puts a fair bit of usage into our connection.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Well, I have Sky Fibre since Tuesday. Hub was installed last Friday and live on Tuesday. Am receiving 67M down 19M up.

My Hub had a fault in that the Lights went out,but Internet was still,working. The Hub was replaced straight away without loss of service.

I have no complaints with the Service I have received from Sky.

However, remember the speed you get May not be the same.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

theballz wrote: »
    What is Sky fiber like? I'm nervous about moving as I the house puts a fair bit of usage into our connection.

Thoughts?

It is too early to tell. But if you already have UPC, then I think it would be best to stay with them, at least for broadband. Leave other people experiment with the Sky broadband and then see in a years time.

UPC have now increased their 200mb product to 240mb/s and dropped the price by €10 and included unlimited calls and mobiles. So I'd think you would be mad to pay Sky €5 per month more for 1/3 the speed and no mobile calls!

Just ring UPC and they will put you on this new cheaper package, though yu will be in a new 12 month contract. Also if you tell UPC that you are thinking of leaving for Sky and have gotten a quote for x from them, I'm sure they will give you even a greater reduction to keep you.

If you really don't like UPC TV, then you could just get Sky for TV and stick with UPC for broadband. Doing that is still actually cheaper then getting slower broadband from Sky!

On Speed.

Does one really need speeds " up to" 240M?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

airuser wrote: »
    On Speed.

If I could get it for €5 cheaper than Sky's price, I'd jump at it. Always nice to have the option:).

Have been with all the various providers and found in my opinion that the service I have got fro Sky the best.

I have made adjustments to my packages to get the Fibre.

Have been able to contact Sky CS all the time when required. On the installation side. Yes, Sky do it differently. Has worked for me as Sky promised.

Am prepared to pay a little extra for good CS as well as changing packages.

Have been with all the various providers and found in my opinion that the service I have got fro Sky the best.

I have made adjustments to my packages to get the Fibre.

Have been able to contact Sky CS all the time when required. On the installation side. Yes, Sky do it differently. Has worked for me as Sky promised.

Am prepared to pay a little extra for good CS as well as changing packages.

Forgot to say Sky Fibre is truly unlimited downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

On Speed.

With DOCSIS there's no "up to". You get what you're provisioned for.

100d 20u is fine for the moment tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,299 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ED E wrote: »
    With DOCSIS there's no "up to". You get what you're provisioned for.

100d 20u is fine for the moment tbh.

I should hope so

try 4d 0.3u

lawred2 wrote: »
    I should hope so

try 4d 0.3u

This is where I believe that the investment in the Internet should be going.

Instead of some areas having 240M down. The ISP's should be trying to give everyone say 60M down.

Yes, it would take a lot of investment.

But, I did read recently that several villages in North Cork still have no service.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Instead of some areas having 240M down. The ISP's should be trying to give everyone say 60M down.

But, I did read recently that several villages in North Cork still have no service.

Thats what the NBP is about, 30Mb consistent minimum.

The fact is UPC upgraded their kit to go from 20 & 30Mb MMDS to fibre backed DOCSIS3.0(3.1) at 50Mb. Each increase since then hasn't cost UPC much at all. They need a little more transit each time they upgrade, but most of their kit stays the exact same. There really is no investment.

VDSL is taking lots of 1-5Mb lines up to 50Mb+. Thats a partial fix. Rural still needs FTTH or FTTDP. And this is where this should go to the rural broadband thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,299 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm 10k from Dublin City Centre... never mind North Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

What is the deal with existing Sky broadband customers upgrading to fibre? Do they charge full price or has anyone rang up and managed to get the introductory offer of 30 euro a month for the first six months?

If not, I wonder if cancelling the original broadband and phone package and signing up as a new user would work?

If not, I wonder if cancelling the original broadband and phone package and signing up as a new user would work?

you could end up without BB for quite a long time by doing this, I wouldn't recommend it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

you could end up without BB for quite a long time by doing this, I wouldn't recommend it

Yeah, probably better to call Sky and threaten to move to Eircoms BB + TV packages or UPC's packages. More likely to give you a reduction then.

I ended up reducing my Sky package, removing Sky Movies.

That €10 went to paying the cost of Sky Fibre.

Had the Fibre up and running within 15 Days(actual)

There is no incentive by Sky for existing customers.

I have stayed with Sky because of the excellent CS i have had over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Why would that happen? I thought if we cancelled one day and signed up as a new customer the day after that it would pretty much match up in terms of how long it would take to cancel versus how long it would take for a new cystine to get fibre up and running. It certainly did with Sky TV.

Why would that happen? I thought if we cancelled one day and signed up as a new customer the day after that it would pretty much match up in terms of how long it would take to cancel versus how long it would take for a new cystine to get fibre up and running. It certainly did with Sky TV.

Once the line cancels, it then has to be readded to a database to be reordered, that can take weeks to happen. If you try and do a transfer between the same provider, it rejects in Eircom's systems.

• Advertisement

Test posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Test posting

Jaysus is that it:pac:?

jca wrote: »
    Jaysus is that it:pac:?

For some reason I am connected to the net. However, cannot open the web pages. Have been on to sky. They are checking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

For some reason I am connected to the net. However, cannot open the web pages. Have been on to sky. They are checking

Oh oh,:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Checking what? You most likely have dns issues, change to Google dns 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, clear your dns cache and see if it's resolved the issue

jca wrote: »
    Oh oh,:mad:

Safari can't find the Server.

That is what I am getting.
    Yet, can stream you tube and stream the radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Safari can't find the Server.

That is what I am getting.
    Yet, can stream you tube and stream the radio

Yes, it can find ip addresses but not domain names, it's a dns issue, names are not resolving

Had a call back from Sky. Line and connection are OK. Speed is stable.

So how does one solve the DNS. I not sure if one can alter the DNS on SKY Hub

Thanks for the reply. Helps

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Had a call back from Sky. Line and connection are OK. Speed is stable.

So how does one solve the DNS. I not sure if one can alter the DNS on SKY Hub

Thanks for the reply. Helps

You can do it from the Network and Sharing location in Control Panel. Change to Google DNS there through the properties tab of your connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Firstly, my set up is as follows. My house was built mid to late 90's. There is a little box on side of house, like the electricity meter, but with a phone cable coming out of the ground, from there it is paired up with two phone cables, running through the house, nice a tidy behind walls etc, one in bedroom and one in kitchen. Both have simple plastic face plates like you could get in Woodies, nothing at all like the proper Eircom Phone socket.

I've been onto Sky a few times lot in the past with the bad broadband I get and a couple of times they were telling me to open up the main socket to test something inside it, but when I explained my setup they couldn't understand that I don't have a "main" socket.

I remember in my Ma & Da's house back in the day, we had a cable coming in through the corner of the front door straight into the "main" phone socket and ran extensions off it, but mine is not like that at all.

So, reading this thread, if I get Fibre, it appears I have to have access to this "main" socket. What will this mean for me, considering I have no "main" socket? Are they going to have to run ugly cabling all over my house or will they just replace one of the cheap ass face plates that I currently have... or better still, would they replace both, cause I do sometimes move the router around. :D

On a side issue, I currently have everything through Sky at great rates.
    Half Price TV @ €48 PM, including Movies, HD & Sports - offer due to expire May 2015
    Half Talk & Line Rental @ €15 PM - indefinate offer as my broadband has been so poor I kept complaining and finally told them I was leaving.
    Broadband @ €10 - The only thing I currently pay Sky full price for.

I wonder, would they honour the existing half price line rental deal I currently have if I signed up for Fibre, especially as I don't seem to qualify for free Boradband for first 6 months being an existing customer.

Advertisement