Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options
  • 28-05-2013 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Disappointed to receive written reply from Sky Ireland today saying they have no concrete plans to upgrade customers to Fibre broadband unlike their competitors using the same lines.

Previously had talked to a rep on the phone who indicated that it would be at least 4 months before they begin doing something but the tone of the email I got made it sound even longer.

Avoid Sky Broadband unless you want to be stuck using a product as old a Pierce Brosnan in Tech terms!

Curse of being an early adopter to Sky while my neighbours enjoy increased speeds already :-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Saw your post on the sky forum .
    I got a mail from their CS saying 4 months and 'soon' a link to register interest.
    But to be honest, I don't trust them anymore as I've spoken to 3 agents and got 3 different stories..
    Frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Yeah when I phoned up I eventually was told that it would be at least 4 months also before they will start rolling this out but I got the email afterwards saying they have no concrete plans.

All of their reps are avoiding answering that post on their forums so cause to worry.

Definitely avoid Sky Broadband until they clarify their plans for fibre broadband.

Another response from Sky :-(

Thank you for your reply.
    I am very sorry to hear that you feel disappointed by Sky regarding this matter. As we are a new player to the broadband and talk market in Ireland we are still finding our feet in certain aspects of the business, but as I mentioned in my previous email Sky are constantly evolving and when we can supply our valued customers, such as yourself with a superior product we will certainly endeavour to do so. We strongly believe that even though our Sky Broadband product may not currently be as fast as other competitors, we can more than make up for this when it comes to value and the availability of our service throughout Ireland from the major cities to the small towns. With regards to a next generation fibre service there are talks on going all the time between our wholesale suppliers and ourselves and although as I said previously there is nothing set in stone we may have access to this type of service as early as the end of the summer if everything falls into place over the coming weeks and months.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 chapterthree

I was one of the first to move to sky. I was told that my line was processed and I had an activation date. That date came and went and I was told that everyone that had applied on the date that I did had to start the whole process again. When I finally got connected and tested the speeds I was extremely please until I noticed that the line was dropping in and out. After a whole lengthy period trying to sort it out I was told that they have identified the problem but it would take 6-8 weeks to fix it. Those dates are in line with the dates that eircom plan to go live with fibre in my area. So I assumed that the fibre was going to be the fix that they were talking about. Maybe I'm wrong.

Nice to know that Sky are reading this and have asked for my contact details here through one of the admins. It's a pity they continue to ignore their own customers regarding this issue on the Sky website forums.

I understand that the standard practice when dealing with customer service issues like this, where a business cannot compete with their competitors or they are at fault, is to drive the discussion offline. I would be very happy if Sky would respond to the many questions posted on their own forums by customers regarding this issue to provide clarification rather than reading posts on other forums.

I will continue to criticise them here and through other means as long as they continue to provide poor customer service and inferior broadband services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

My eircom contract is up at the end of next month, so by the end of this month I HAVE to know when or if sky is going to go fiber :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I did mention several times on this forum that people should hold off going with Sky since the introduction of FTTC was imminent. I'm going to say this like a 10 year old on the playground. Told ye all so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I'm paying around 13euro a month for 10meg broadband, unlim local + national calls and free line rental for a year with Sky.

Can put up with the speeds for now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

This was the reason I didn't move to sky and €10 deal would have done me fine. They told me at them time that they had no plans to move to fibre in the next year or two.

For approx another 30euro + is it really worth the extra speed?

If you're a serial downloader maybe, but i've no problem waiting 30mins for a movie to download

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Ayatolla, for lots of people the extra cost won't be worth it, but for lots it is. Time is more valuable for them.

I get 1.2 megs per second downloading and 110 kb per second uploading. Decent enough for adsl. (12m/bit down 1 m/bit up),

Last night I wanted to buy a new game. It was 16 gigs & was taking approx. 5 hours to download. On the vdsl package I hope to get, it should be under an hour wait. I would have liked to play it last night, not have to leave my pc on overnight.

I was uploading a video to youtube of my child playing for his grandparents over in Germany. It was about 500 megs, and it took nearly an hour & a half. On the vdsl package I hope to get, it should take about 6 minutes.

High quality video chat is possible. Cloud applications are possible.

Streaming one high def video is enough to keep the connection busy. Any more browsing by anyone in the house slows down the stream. That's another good reason.

You can do so much more with proper bandwidth.

Don't get me wrong, it has its advantages and if you can warrant the extra ~30 quid then by all means go for it.

I'll hold off until my deal with Sky & contract expires before making any decisions. I have another 9 months so hopefully Sky have some movement on Fibre by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

jeffk wrote: »
    My eircom contract is up at the end of next month, so by the end of this month I HAVE to know when or if sky is going to go fiber :confused:

Its not like you can't just stay with them another month or two after the contract expires, you don't automatically get a new contract when the old one runs out.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Its not like you can't just stay with them another month or two after the contract expires, you don't automatically get a new contract when the old one runs out.

I meant like by months end I have to know if im going with sky or eircom for another year, if eircom then i guess i do nothing and it starts again at the end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

For approx another 30euro + is it really worth the extra speed?

If you're a serial downloader maybe, but i've no problem waiting 30mins for a movie to download

I will be going from 3mb to near 70mb so yes.

So according to one of their forum mods > http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Broadband-Talk/Sky-and-Eircom-eFibre/td-p/983554/page/5

Hi Guys,

I have double checked this and unfortunately we don’t have any further information if Fibre is coming to the ROI. I do understand how frustrating this is and again I do apologise.

Thanks
    Emma-O

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I meant like by months end I have to know if im going with sky or eircom for another year, if eircom then i guess i do nothing and it starts again at the end of July.

No, it doesn't work that way.

If you decide to stay with your initial provider, then you don't need to sign a new contract with them and you can cancel at any time.

For instance, when you initial 12 month contract is up, you can continue to use it for another 3 months and then cancel.

Now they may call and try to foll you into singing up for another 12 month contract, but it is completely unnecessary and you should never agree to do this unless they make it worth your will (deep discount, etc.).

Better to have the flexibility to cancel and move at any time.

bk wrote: »
    No, it doesn't work that way.

If you decide to stay with your initial provider, then you don't need to sign a new contract with them and you can cancel at any time.

For instance, when you initial 12 month contract is up, you can continue to use it for another 3 months and then cancel.

Now they may call and try to foll you into singing up for another 12 month contract, but it is completely unnecessary and you should never agree to do this unless they make it worth your will (deep discount, etc.).

Better to have the flexibility to cancel and move at any time.
    Good to know thanks.

So once my Eircom contract is up, do nothing and pay them month to month and as you said only re enter a contract if there is a decent discount.

What happens when efibre comes to my area? I’m guessing ill have to go into a contract for that, or is it just an improvement on the service im getting?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So once my Eircom contract is up, do nothing and pay them month to month and as you said only re enter a contract if there is a decent discount.

Yes, do nothing.

They may call you trying to convince you to sign up for another 12 months. But just refuse it.

It works the same way for mobile phone contracts, sky TV service, electricity and gas services, etc.
    What happens when efibre comes to my area? I’m guessing ill have to go into a contract for that, or is it just an improvement on the service im getting?

In that case you do need to sign up for a 12 month contract as it is a new service.

That is pretty fair and understandable, it costs them money to give you a free modem and to send out an engineer to install it. So they need to guarantee to stay with them long enough to recoup these costs.

bk wrote: »
    Yes, do nothing.

They may call you trying to convince you to sign up for another 12 months. But just refuse it.

It works the same way for mobile phone contracts, sky TV service, electricity and gas services, etc.

In that case you do need to sign up for a 12 month contract as it is a new service.

That is pretty fair and understandable, it costs them money to give you a free modem and to send out an engineer to install it. So they need to guarantee to stay with them long enough to recoup these costs.
    Brilliant, thanks for all the info.

I don’t mind signing up to sky or eircom for efibre and I do agree with a modem etc it is only right that you would have to sign up for a year contract!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Just to let you know, the eFibre contract is actually an 18 month contract

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

Just on sky forum

Hi All,

With regards to the launch of a Sky fibre service, we will be offering this service in Ireland this year as soon as we possibly can.
    Trialling of our fibre service has already started so as to ensure we have the best quality of service ready for its full launch. There will a dedicated space on our website to register interest in our new service very soon.
    It will be the same type of product that will be available from Eircom and Vodafone, providing a next generation fibre powered service at the same great value we offer with our current Sky Broadband.

Thanks

markad1 wrote: »
    Just on sky forum

Hi All,

With regards to the launch of a Sky fibre service, we will be offering this service in Ireland this year as soon as we possibly can.
    Trialling of our fibre service has already started so as to ensure we have the best quality of service ready for its full launch. There will a dedicated space on our website to register interest in our new service very soon.
    It will be the same type of product that will be available from Eircom and Vodafone, providing a next generation fibre powered service at the same great value we offer with our current Sky Broadband.

Thanks

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Broadband-Talk/Sky-Fibre-in-Republic-of-Ireland-update/td-p/1156568

Wahooooo. Already impressed with Sky's service and quality. Am contracted until March 2014 so hopefully I can upgrade early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Was onto SKY asked every other provider can off fibre except SKY.

reply was

"We do not have our equipment in the exchange. Jane"

Am I wrong or is it just eircom that have equipment in the exchange :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭losetheforce

I'm paying around 13euro a month for 10meg broadband, unlim local + national calls and free line rental for a year with Sky.

I have to ask you how you manage to get that? When I look its about €47.5 a month for unlimited calls & broadband

how you getting it for €13? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

I have to ask you how you manage to get that? When I look its about €47.5 a month for unlimited calls & broadband

how you getting it for €13? :eek:

My deal with Sky is: €10 for broadband and €7.50 for calls every month. I looked at Sky's website and the prices are €40. my guess is that it was a special deal they were giving people back when the company first joined the market (in December, I think). I signed up in January and my line switched over on the first week of February. Same speed I had with Eircom, but about €35 - €40 cheaper.

Same as the above poster, plus the added discount of 9euro from the household benefits scheme :P

• Advertisement

Just wondering if anybody had any news on this [ through a source other than their Sky forum , which is useless ... ]
    Thanks

Advertisement