Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2013-2014 talk/gossip/rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Looks like it dolphin have most of the munster academy on its books. Con also signed joe mcsweenys brother from midleton along with hooker no 8 and centre also their excellent tighthead sweeney.did keneally use to play with con or is that a diff niall keneally? Also anyone know ifrank cogan is back.?[/f QUOTE]

yes he is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

Bryan Byrne joining Tarf. Ed staying with UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 val10

Blackdog1 where do you get your information about Highfield paying players?
    Those days are long gone.its true they rent out car park but that money is used to service existing loans.match fees were stopped 3 years ago.they have a very good job network so help players get employment.they also help some students out with rent or student fees but the days of paying players is well over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

val10 wrote: »
    Blackdog1 where do you get your information about Highfield paying players?
    Those days are long gone.its true they rent out car park but that money is used to service existing loans.match fees were stopped 3 years ago.they have a very good job network so help players get employment.they also help some students out with rent or student fees but the days of paying players is well over
    Highfield are the richest club in cork. Con is broke after building new club house. Highfield cant attract top class players due to their status so they pay 1 or 2 top players each year. .know plenty of people who they've approached over the years . Not huge money but enough 2-4 k a year plenty for quality playing students.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 val10

Not getting into too much detail but thighfield do not pay any current players.i think a lot of players use highfield as a bargaining tool with other clubs because their is this image that they are rich.they owe nearly 500,000 to the bank.highfield offer accomdation to a few players which is standard for most clubs.con pay win bonus to every player and also accommodation to a few.dolphin do same.i just wanted to get on record that as i am sick of people going on about these rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Way off the mark re Lansdowne comments - players these days coming for facilities and coaching structures along with help with careers and location

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

In all fairness the days of players being given anything outside of being given aid with job finding, helping with accommodation costs and low match fees are over. Clubs simply cannot afford it despite what many think, 2-4 prominent clubs in Munster have had issues with players not being given what they were promised as the club in the end couldn't keep up with the ever growing tab! The player movement to Dublin is simply down to colleges and the work prospects up there, nothing to do with cash in hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mightymonster

Stainalert wrote: »
    Way off the mark re Lansdowne comments - players these days coming for facilities and coaching structures along with help with careers and location

and pigs fly....

see UCDs danny kenny is training with Munster, serious player should be looked at as a possible permanent fixture in the province. Would be ahead of few lads there already. Niall Kenneally there too as well as Mike Kelliher, Paddy and Willie Ryan. Would like too see Will Ryan and Kenny snapped up

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

interesting to see a lad from richmond given a chance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

lurtz wrote: »
    He's also played AIL with Munsters in previous seasons. Serious player. will be good to see him in AIL v us this year

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

keiller has been involved with the munster setup before..a few guys missing from pre season until next week so they need bodies

John Quill and Ian cross gone to London irish on trial and academy respectively

i think there will be a lot of movement to english/french clubs going forward..days of hanging around holding tackle bags long gone

John Quill and Ian cross gone to London irish on trial and academy respectively

quill is a serious player, capped by usa already, will definitely. dunno much bout cross other than was with Helens RL side went to Irish last yr and got injured straight away

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/29501.php
    See Dolphin update on irfu site and Darragh Fanning Marys captain . He is a quality player.
    Hugh Hogan gone to work in Leinster academy so not coaching Marys next yeat

shane o leary YM and Canadian u20 O/H rumoured to be going to grenoble

backgreen wrote: »

also heard beziers

also heard beziers

Go way, fairplay to him if is true. Was highly impressed with him against Tarf in Dublin and G'owen in Dooradoyle. See he finished top scorer in the JWRT this year for Canada too. Would be a great move for him if true

Go way, fairplay to him if is true. Was highly impressed with him against Tarf in Dublin and G'owen in Dooradoyle. See he finished top scorer in the JWRT this year for Canada too. Would be a great move for him if true

He came on a lot as a player this year impressed with him .Prendy brought him on in a big way as a player in Munsters and clearly knows what he is bringing over to join him in Grenoble. O learys background is solid his father Declan works at the NCTC or now the institute of sport . he was one of the first rugby development officers with the IRFU in 90s and was a very handy player with Sundays Well

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

I wonder why Munster passed on him, he wasn't even starter for their 20s side this year.

JagerScout wrote: »
    I wonder why Munster passed on him, he wasn't even starter for their 20s side this year.
    No idea why. Never really got a shot at starting at older age groups
    at 20s was behind Rory Scannell and Harry McNulty, both of whom now in academy.
    at 19s behind McNulty and Shane even played a bit at full back.
    Only at Youths was Shane regularly starting for Munster

ah that makes sense as to why grenoble is rumoured. Probably very likely now

ormond lad wrote: »
    No idea why. Never really got a shot at starting at older age groups
    at 20s was behind Rory Scannell and Harry McNulty, both of whom now in academy.
    at 19s behind McNulty and Shane even played a bit at full back.
    Only at Youths was Shane regularly starting for Munster

McNulty has been very poor, dunno how he's in academy, been hugely unimpressive every time i've seen him. O Leary is a good talent, wonder what back up plan YM have if he leaves, no other 10s there are there?? Thought he;d be worth a punt at an academy spot in fairness going by what i've seen from him at 10 and seems very versatile from the sounds of things.

Dan Goggin signed for YM as has Sean rennison from Bohs and 2nd row Alan Kennedy from garryowen

McNulty has been very poor, dunno how he's in academy, been hugely unimpressive every time i've seen him. O Leary is a good talent, wonder what back up plan YM have if he leaves, no other 10s there are there?? Thought he;d be worth a punt at an academy spot in fairness going by what i've seen from him at 10 and seems very versatile from the sounds of things.

Dan Goggin signed for YM as has Sean rennison from Bohs and 2nd row Alan Kennedy from garryowen
    McNulty has been ok to good any time ive seen him. Harsh to say very poor about the lad.
    YM will be ok. they'll find an option from somewhere to play 10
    Decent signings for cookies with those 3. Think there was a few others playing 2nds at 10 when Shane was involved in the firsts

McNulty has been ok to good any time ive seen him. Harsh to say very poor about the lad.
    YM will be ok. they'll find an option from somewhere to play 10
    Decent signings for cookies with those 3. Think there was a few others playing 2nds at 10 when Shane was involved in the firsts

They'll need to recruit someone for a 10, Shane was u21s 10 for most of last season and 2nds 10 if i'm not mistaken, Quinn-McDonagh gone, really leaves no one else.

Was probably a bit ott alright, but definitely wasn't up for senior rugby last year, G'owen may use him differently

They'll need to recruit someone for a 10, Shane was u21s 10 for most of last season and 2nds 10 if i'm not mistaken, Quinn-McDonagh gone, really leaves no one else.

Was probably a bit ott alright, but definitely wasn't up for senior rugby last year, G'owen may use him differently
    Shane was 2nds 10 for a good part of season but prob should have been used more by 1sts earlier than he had been last season. When he did play AIL he looked very good and would be fine this season but a new 10 will probably be found somewhere

agree with you on mc nulty,have yet to see him play a decent game ,no defence whatever,cant understand how he is surviving in the academy,Goggin is a good solid player..o leary plays 12 ok also..

agree with you on mc nulty,have yet to see him play a decent game ,no defence whatever,cant understand how he is surviving in the academy,Goggin is a good solid player..o leary plays 12 ok also..
    Don't be so harsh on the young lad. The bit in red is especially harsh. Ive seen him play and he's always been ok never won a game all on his own but how many can do that???
    O Leary has played all across backline but most suited to 10/12

• Advertisement

Don't be so harsh on the young lad. The bit in red is especially harsh. Ive seen him play and he's always been ok never won a game all on his own but how many can do that???
    O Leary has played all across backline but most suited to 10/12
    probably a little harsh and i hope things improve for him,but in all honesty i think there are better guys out there

Advertisement