Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2013-2014 talk/gossip/rumours

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

bamboozle wrote: »
    They were after furlong as TH and ed Byrne as LH.

Don't think Dooley will be ready for ail next season, he's quite light still, des merry can attest to this.
    Disagree with you on Dooley. More than capable of playing AIL1 next season. He's 17/18 stone. How much heavier does he need to be?
    He may not play AIL and still has 2 years of u21 rugby(as Leinster are staying at that age group next season for clubs) but certainly will be ready to do well next season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

ormond lad wrote: »
    Disagree with you on Dooley. More than capable of playing AIL1 next season. He's 17/18 stone. How much heavier does he need to be?
    He may not play AIL and still has 2 years of u21 rugby(as Leinster are staying at that age group next season for clubs) but certainly will be ready to do well next season

I must be mixing Dooley up With the other prop who started against oz, one of the props looked about fifteen stone.

I must be mixing Dooley up With the other prop who started against oz, one of the props looked about fifteen stone.
    Think you are. Bolands very light. in and around 15 stone according to IRB site

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Think you are. Bolands very light. in and around 15 stone according to IRB site

That makes sense cause I was watching the oz match saw boland..thought it was Dooley and thought to myself why we're Leinster giving such a small lad an academy spot when they've no shortage of props in the academy.

In saying that boland well able to scrummage.

Bit of a number 8 merrygoround in 1a...Garvey rumoured from tarf to lansdowne, o'callaghan leaving dolphin, cutriss leaving con, coogan rumoured to be returning to con also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Stainalert

What is the story with Prenderville?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

the age limit is changing back to july for next year
    That makes sense cause I was watching the oz match saw boland..thought it was Dooley and thought to myself why we're Leinster giving such a small lad an academy spot when they've no shortage of props in the academy.

In saying that boland well able to scrummage.

Bit of a number 8 merrygoround in 1a...Garvey rumoured from tarf to lansdowne, o'callaghan leaving dolphin, cutriss leaving con, coogan rumoured to be returning to con also.

a dublin 1a club were advertising for a number 8 recently on a recrutiment agency,was wondering who it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

lurtz wrote: »
    the age limit is changing back to july for next year

is the july change just leinster or nationwide

backgreen wrote: »
    is the july change just leinster or nationwide
    Munster are not changing to July but age groups are nearly definitely changing to 18s/20s(why I don't know)

Any news on early season competitions in other provinces?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Munster are not changing to July but age groups are nearly definitely changing to 18s/20s(why I don't know)
    Probably to make it lineup with interpros and internationals. There is no U21 interpro or international match.

Probably to make it lineup with interpros and internationals. There is no U21 interpro or international match.
    Having age groups at 17s/19s lines up with interpros and internationals better in my opinion. 18s is the first age group that there is interpros/internationals and in youths rugby any u17 player can be immediately screened for provincial/national level. Same at 19s for under 20s national side.
    This is slightly different with 18s and 20s and the odd numbers for main age groups is better system though if changing back to even numbers, 18s &20s, means more sides field at these levels than were fielding the past few seasons at 19s and 21s then I will not complain but only time will tell

• Advertisement

would it not be better to change u21 to july like leinster and keep it a national competition,,the frazier mc mullen was a very good competition

would it not be better to change u21 to july like leinster and keep it a national competition,,the frazier mc mullen was a very good competitin
    But clubs in Munster clearly voted not to change to July. They voted to keep January 1st as age cut off but change back to 18s/20s as theres a better chance of more clubs fielding at these age groups.
    Having no all Ireland competition will be a shame but if there's more clubs fielding across all the provinces than itll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Bohs lost a lot, Kindregan to Connacht, Rennison to YM, Hanrahan to G'owen, Henry to Connacht, Keneally to Con, Moroney looks to be going to YM or G'owen, Simpson to Richmond, Ed Rossiter to G'owen, Tom Burke to Thomond, Ben Martin to Bruff (Coaching). Ed Kelly leaving for Dublin (i've heard Belvo). 7 starters gone, could maybe add Cathal Sheridan as well with Munster

haugh YM gone to garryowen

haugh YM gone to garryowen

Strange one, would have said the garryowen 9 was better than Haugh anytime i've seen them, he must be leaving if they signed Haugh cause i don't think Haugh going as a back-up! Don't really rate Haugh, see how he gets on, wonder why he left YM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Agree would rate Cronin over Haugh, dont think Cronin is leaving either so I expect Haugh to be playing alot of Sunday rugby. Seems like Garryowen have gone back to their old attitude of sign everyone, we mightnt need them but at least no-one else will have them!

Bohs lost a lot, Kindregan to Connacht, Rennison to YM, Hanrahan to G'owen, Henry to Connacht, Keneally to Con, Moroney looks to be going to YM or G'owen, Simpson to Richmond, Ed Rossiter to G'owen, Tom Burke to Thomond, Ben Martin to Bruff (Coaching). Ed Kelly leaving for Dublin (i've heard Belvo). 7 starters gone, could maybe add Cathal Sheridan as well with Munster
    That is a massive amount of players to lose, they could struggle next year, have the made any signings?

why are people leaving munsters?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

why are people leaving munsters?

simple answer is €€€. lads not paid yet

word of a new scrum half from london in for them

SimmerDean wrote: »
    simple answer is €€€. lads not paid yet

word of a new scrum half from london in for them

according to munsterfans everyone has since got paid, not too sure how true that is though, funny thing is, I am sure they are not alone in owing players money, their situation just seems to be more advertised than other clubs...

They also mention over there that munsters signed the new scrum half brought into the academy, think he is only 18 though....

• Advertisement

Agree would rate Cronin over Haugh, dont think Cronin is leaving either so I expect Haugh to be playing alot of Sunday rugby. Seems like Garryowen have gone back to their old attitude of sign everyone, we mightnt need them but at least no-one else will have them!
    That is a massive amount of players to lose, they could struggle next year, have the made any signings?

Ya Cronin looks a good player, played very well when i've seen him play in few derbys and was very good. Munster may have a say tho which is very harsh on Cronin. G'owen lost a lot to lads going abroad in fairness. 9 i'd nearly argue they won't have.

Bohs will try pull lads heading into UL and LIT as they always do but ya i think they'll struggle a whole lot. Could be a downward spiral straight to D2!

Ya Cronin looks a good player, played very well when i've seen him play in few derbys and was very good. Munster may have a say tho which is very harsh on Cronin. G'owen lost a lot to lads going abroad in fairness. 9 i'd nearly argue they won't have.

Bohs will try pull lads heading into UL and LIT as they always do but ya i think they'll struggle a whole lot. Could be a downward spiral straight to D2!
    Bohs always get a few heading to UL, not so much LIT. Will not pull as many as in 1B but they wont go straight down to 2A

Any news on Lower Divisions, 2A/2B and the other provincial competitions that start season off?

Bohs always get a few heading to UL, not so much LIT. Will not pull as many as in 1B but they wont go straight down to 2A

Any news on Lower Divisions, 2A/2B and the other provincial competitions that start season off?

Havent heard much to be honest, couple of Munsters 2nds lads off to Bruff thats about it. I am sure it will all come out in the next couple of weeks

OC have added Luke Russell from YM to there squad, lot 2 backrowers, 1 to Thomond, 1 to YM afaik. Thomond look to be signing a 13 from YM and have resigned Tom Burke from UL Bohs. Old wesley still talking to Tadhg Bennett apparently. After that i haven't heard, what the story with Nenagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Anything evercome of the rumoured Wesley/bective merger.

Clontarkf have apparently signed Martin Martin Provizers from skerries. He's a Latvain international but has only played 2 seasons of rugby.

OC have added Luke Russell from YM to there squad, lot 2 backrowers, 1 to Thomond, 1 to YM afaik. Thomond look to be signing a 13 from YM and have re-signed Tom Burke from UL Bohs. Old wesley still talking to Tadhg Bennett apparently. After that i haven't heard, what the story with Nenagh?
    Thomond looking a lot around Limerick for players. Will be v strong this year
    Nenagh have lost a few outside backs to emigration. Not sure on many others we've leaving this season.
    no news on signings but believe that the club are looking to sign a halfback, primarily a 10.
    shaungil wrote: »
    Anything evercome of the rumoured Wesley/bective merger.
    Clontarkf have apparently signed Martin Martin Provizers from skerries. He's a Latvain international but has only played 2 seasons of rugby.
    Havent heard much more but don't think its happening for next season or two at the least, from talking to few people up in Bective

whats that lad lespierre like? serious specimen

whats that lad lespierre like? serious specimen
    Attacking wise very very good. Not so great defensively at division 1 level. IIRC he played quite a bit in 2nds league, def played v us once in league and could have played the 2nd game against us.

Attacking wise very very good. Not so great defensively at division 1 level. IIRC he played quite a bit in 2nds league, def played v us once in league and could have played the 2nd game against us.

He hardly played after Christmas, only scored two tries for 1st and left before the end of the season. Very quick, no skills and poor defense!

• Advertisement

I saw on a recruitment agency a while back that a cork 1a team were looking for a centre or 10 and an dublin 1a team were looking for an 8,expect maybe to see some new southern hemisphere faces

Advertisement