Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Windy Road to Nowhere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Sat 1st August: 6 miles in 43 minutes

Easy run on the treadmill. I think that's 40 miles I've done on a treadmill this week, in the middle of the summer!! I must get back on the road a bit more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Jezus you're a hound for that feckin treadmill, I dread even a few miles on the thing, it's so boring.

Well run in the 10 miler, you'd have probably broken 60 if you'd a few around you going for the time.

TbL

Jezus you're a hound for that feckin treadmill, I dread even a few miles on the thing, it's so boring.

Well run in the 10 miler, you'd have probably broken 60 if you'd a few around you going for the time.

TbL

I'd choose the road over indoors every time, but my strategy is always about running at the time that is most family friendly, so when the little one is in bed and the rest are gone, I get the training in...

Re the 10 mile race, I definitely feel I could've gone under 60 if I'd ran in a group, unfortunately the most likely 4-5 runners all ran a big positive split, something that usually doesn't work for me.

Sounds like you had a nice holiday in Italy, I've the Venice marathon on my bucket list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

So are you coming down for your annual Quarter final defeat tomorrow? :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    So are you coming down for your annual Quarter final defeat tomorrow? :)

Ha, I'm going to Croke Park alright. I think this could be the year when we finally take the next step. Was chatting to a couple of the players earlier this evening, mood in the camp seems very relaxed and positive. You heading to the match?

• Advertisement

Ha, I'm going to Croke Park alright. I think this could be the year when we finally take the next step. Was chatting to a couple of the players earlier this evening, mood in the camp seems very relaxed and positive. You heading to the match?

I am of course. Lower Hogan I think. Will be in the Hotel across the road before and after I'd Imagine..

You were saying :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

That Tiernan McCann should be ashamed of himself, he obviously didnt read the Tyrone footballer handbook(ie hard as nails).

What can I say?! Tyrone did what they do best, both the good and bad things they'll do to win a football match, the referee was poor but at the end of the day, Tyrone got their tactics spot on, and Monaghan underperformed. It's a pity they resort to cynical diving and antics when they're good enough to go out and play such good football. Anyway, best of luck against Kerry.

Sun 2nd August 6 miles at 7:30ish pace

Can't remember the pace, it was on the treadmill.

Mon 3rd August: 4 miles in 7:02 pace

The strongest wind I've ever run in, without question. We were down in Connemara for a few days, and the wind absolutely battered me on this one. When it rained along with it, the rain felt like razor blades. It's rare the weather is actually painful! I sort of enjoyed it. The run back with the wind on my back was even challenging, as it was blowing me along nearly too fast. Good fun.

Tues 4th Aug: 8.5 miles in 7:45 pace

Wind still very strong on Tuesday. We were in Oughterard for a while, so I ran up over the mountain, uphill and into a gale. Took the pace nice and handy so as not to get too wrecked. I got a fair few stretches where I was in lots of shelter through the forest, but in the exposed areas, still very wild.

Weds 5th Aug: 2 miles in 7:03 pace

Out and about all day, walking through the mountains, inspecting the turf, inside in Galway city, etc. Just did this one late in the evening to stretch the legs.

Thurs 6th Aug: 2 miles in 7:57 pace

Similar situation to Wednesday, only this one was done after eating a big dinner, so slow and steady. Nice few days away

• Advertisement

Pre-race

As ever, I support Scotstown GAA's race. It's an interesting one, in that in the first year or two, it was mainly just locals running. However, the past few years have seen more and more athletes from the running clubs in the county and across the border coming down for it, due to it being well organised and excellent value at just a tener. One of the race organisers informed me that Conor Duffy and Simon Ryan would not be running, so he was tipping me for the win. I didn't think this realistic, but hoped there could be a placing up for grabs. Looking out the window of my house an hour before, there were a couple of very sprightly lads warming up so knew I'd have my hands full. I'd run 27:5x here in 2013 when I was in possibly the best shape of my life, and 28:55 last year when I was in similar shape to now.

The race

The Monaghan Rose of Tralee was starting the race. She didn't give the traditional 3-2-1, so there was slight confusion at the off, but off we were. The usual craic ensued, a bunch of guys I knew would be quick headed off, very quickly and about 4 of 5 footballer types started at what would likely be far too fast for them. By the time I was half a mile in, I was in 11th, but had already picked out that there were 3 places that I knew would take easily enough. The guys from 4-7th looked to be runners, so hoped I would take back one or two of them two. At the mile mark, 5:40, there's a very slight rise up to Hollywood Lake. On this hill, I caught the two remaining football types. A young lad of about 14 was up ahead, moving very well. However, I was starting to feel that the gap to the lads ahead of that was widening a bit, so got a move on. Worked on passing the young fella out and starting to close on the rest for the 2nd mile (5:53).

I was a bit peeved with the lack of pace on that 2nd mile, and gave myself a bit of an eating. It was becoming clear enough during the 3rd mile that I wouldn't make up a lot of places, but I wanted to do the best I could. Chased down the guy in 7th place, and when I passed him at 3 miles, 5:46, I knew he couldn't keep the pace going.

At this stage, with 2 miles to go, there was probably a gap of 100ish metres between every runner from 7th down to 3rd. I upped the effort to see could I take advantage of anyone who'd possibly pushed too much early on. However, my own pace didn't get substantially better, with the last two miles in 5:48 and 5:47, finishing in 28:55 for 7th.

I was neither pleased nor displeased with the result. My training has been consistent lately but lacking focus and structure. I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I could dig in hugely with training to try and get into 2:4x marathon shape for October, but motivation to do that is so much lower than normal. It seems much more palatable to just keep ticking over, and run 2:55ish. I'll do a long run in a couple of days and think things over.

It's been a while since I updated this table. Mileage has been fairly steady, quite similar to last year. July was pretty good, pushed the mileage over 200 for the first time, and did 3 reasonably good races.

Month 2014|Runs|Av Speed|Mileage|Month 2015|Runs|Av Speed|Mileage
    January|19/31|8.7|109|January|8/31|8.9|48
    February|19/28|8.2|104|February|15/28|8.7|102
    March|21/31|8.5|148|March|22/31|8.5|157
    April|20/30|8.5|157|April|21/30|8.6|122
    May|15/31|8.4|101|May|14/31|8.6|112
    June|26/30|8.3|160|June|28/30|8.2|178
    July|28/31|8.2|221|July|31/31|8.5|203
    August|26/31|8.4|251
    September|25/30|8.4|221
    October|20/31|8.6|159
    November|13/30|8.4|89
    December|19/31|8.2|126

Mileage Year to Date: 915

I hope to keep the mileage over 200 for August, get another race in, and a proper focus now on the marathon. I'm definitely behind where I should be, but I'll see what happens.

tang1 wrote: »
    That Tiernan McCann should be ashamed of himself, he obviously didnt read the Tyrone footballer handbook(ie hard as nails).

I hadn't even seen that when writing the post.
    Not great obviously but it's also disappointing to see this being the headliner, not the great 65 minutes of football that came before. My only disappointment was that Tyrone decided to go into defensive mode for the last 10 minutes instead of kicking on and finishing off a Monaghan side that had clearly lost their will at that stage. That's when the game descended into chaos. A poor tactic for sure but Tyrone were genuinely very good for the vast majority of the game IMO. Looking forward to Kerry though it's pretty clear that the whole country will be against us (feck them :pac:)

Sat 6th August: 4 miles in 26:20

Just a quick one on the treadmill before going to Croke Park for my annual dose of heartache.

Sun 7th: 4 miles at 7:29 pace

Out on the road. Due to carrying one or other of the kids on my shoulders to/from Glasnevin to Croker, my legs were especially tight for this one. Had considered a long run but no way would I have managed it.

Mon 8th Aug: 23.5 miles in 2:50 (7:15 avg pace)

Headed out about 3 for this run. It was fairly hot and windy for this, but I was feeling good and the miles slipped by handily enough. It's a tough enough route this one with over 1,000 feet of elevation gain but I managed to put the pace down to 6:5xs for a couple of miles at the tail end of the session. Did this with no water or gels, first time doing that on a run of 20+ miles.

Given the challenging conditions and route, I was delighted with how this went.

Tues 11th Aug: 2 miles in 7:53 pace

We were in Tayto Park last Tuesday and I took the unprecedented step of not running home part of the way. The long run the previous day took it out of me a little, so was happy enough to just plod around a bit.

Weds 12th Aug: 2 miles at 6:30 pace

A couple of friends came over for impromptu dinner and drinks, so I just trashed this one out on the treadmill before some liquid refreshment.

Thurs 13th Aug: 16.5 mile cycle in 1:30 and 7.25 mile run at 7:33 pace

My mate from Wednesday's capers got himself a new bike there lately, and we decided on a Thursday morning cycle. Neither of us wanted to do much more than 20k, as we're not used to cycling at all. My bicycle is atrociously underused. Anyway, I picked a route mostly over quiet country roads around Collon, Philipstown and Monasterboice. It's virtually impossible to pick a route without a lot of uphill sections in this part of Co Louth. Pace was very easy on the uphill sections, so I never really tired myself out. We got back to my friend's house with 12.5 miles done, then I headed off home adding the extras. I know the pace was very handy but I didn't find this taxing at all. I might consider trying to do a little more cycling just for cross-training and general conditioning.

Another friend recently moved home from the UK. We decided to do our catch up out on the roads. He'd requested a 6 mile run, but I miscalculated and it ended up as 7.3. Handy pace and nice having some company.

Fri am: 3 miles in 7:30ish pace

Quick one on the treadmill, can't remember the pace

Fri pm: 4.2 miles at 7:57 pace

We were down in Sligo for the Fleadh over the weekend. I was working quite a bit, and as we were staying out the road in the Radisson, I ran in/out of town a few times at easy pace instead of commandeering the car. This run was to go in for a meal and briefing. The run home was slow having had a 3 course meal and a couple of glasses of wine!

Sat: 2.75 miles in 7:10 pace

It looked like my running streak was coming to an end, however I ended up getting a call to adjudicate another competition at 6 o clock in the evening, it finished up at 8:40, and I ran off back to the hotel again. My parents found my evolution to running from place to place at the Fleadh quite entertaining, given the hard partying that were the norm 10 years ago. Everything has its time, I suppose.

Sun 16th Aug: 2 miles in 12:20

Time constraints again, with only a 15 minute window for a run. Went and bombed it out the Rosses Point direction to wake the legs up a bit.

Mon 17th Aug: 3.1 miles at 6:58 pace

Long day travelling home, stopping in my brothers for a while on the way. Just did a quick run down around by The Popes Cross to stretch the legs in near darkness.

Tues 18th Aug: 3 miles (I think) at 7:30 pace (maybe)

Can't remember the details, but I definitely did a shortish easy run on the treadmill

Weds 19th Aug: 3.1 miles at 6:29 pace

Had a busy day, dropping the kids up to Monaghan, so just fitted this quick one in.

Thurs 20th-Sun 23rd Aug: 5 miles at 7:49 pace, 4 miles at 9:06 pace, 3 miles at 7:22 pace, 2 miles at 7:42 pace

I was in Italy for a few days, for a wedding near Rome. I'd intended doing a fair bit more running than this, but it was very hot, and there was a lot of partying and music playing, etc going on. Commitment is pretty damn low at the minute from a running perspective, this year's marathon is unlikely to be overly impressive. Anyway, lovely wedding, beautiful weather and good fun. Nothing wrong with that I suppose.

Mon 24th Aug: 4 miles at 7:29 pace

First relatively normal run in a few days.

Tues 25th Aug: 3.1 miles at 7:35 pace

Don't remember why this was so slow, think I might have just finished dinner or something. Uninspiring.

Weds 26th Aug: 10 miles in 70 minutes

Mrs TPP and the two oldest away for a few days, so this was all on the treadmill when the youngest was sleeping. Progressive tempo, up to 1/2 marathon pace

Thurs 27th Aug: 8 miles in 1:05, and 4 miles in 26 minutes

The earlier run was in and out of Drogheda, with the kid in the buggy to pick up some groceries. Was a lovely afternoon for running, but the 500 feet of climbing on the way home killed the pace. Good core workout I suppose.

The later run was just a sort of a progressive makey uppy run. I wanted to watch a film, so I put the hammer down.

Fri 28th Aug: am, 4 miles in 27:50, pm, 3 miles in 22 minutes

Back to school yesterday, so grabbed a few miles on the treadmill before and after.

Sat 29th Aug: am 6 miles in 41 mins, pm 5 miles in 36 mins

Treadmill again, with just myself and the youngest at home. My back was slightly sore for a couple of days, possibly from pushing the buggy the other day, so decided against more of that for the time being. Rest of the gang are home tomorrow, so will be back on the roads again.

Sun 30th Aug: 2 miles in 7:25 pace

Just a short one in the evening time.

Mon-Fri: 5.2, 5.2, 7.6, 4 and 3.1 miles at easy pace

Back at school properly now, and starting as I mean to go on. Easy running every morning before the house wakes up.

Sat 5th Sept: Wheelbarrow session on the bog and 2 miles at 7:11 avg pace

I went to Connemara early yesterday to save the turf. We thought we'd get an old tractor started up to get turf from the bog to the shed, but alas, it wouldn't start, and it was left in such a place that we couldn't get at it with jump leads. So, wheelbarrows and manual work was the only option.

Now, I didn't cut a huge amount of turf, only 75 bags worth or so, so it wasn't going to be a huge undertaking to get it all in. But, it was probably about 500m up the road from where I was taking the turf to the shed. Not to miss an opportunity to get in a bit of training, I proceeded to run up and down the road for around 3 hours with the turf in the wheelbarrow, 2 bags at a time. That was about optimal, as when I tried it with 3 bags, I ran the risk of dropping turf on the road and damaging myself or the wheelbarrow. The weather was beautiful for it, and the kids had a ball (on bagging duty and scaring off the sheep). Enough turf to do us for lots of long weekends and an odd week or two for the next year or so.

Threw in a couple of miles at the end of the day just because.

Planned on trying a long run of some sort today, but I'm feeling a bit sore after yesterday. I really should try and do something vaguely resembling marathon training at some stage, only 5 weeks to go!! Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

So Piper Boy you are literally a bog-trotter. Good to know anyway.

Think it's about time I got the log going again. It's been a strange old year running wise, I ran out of motivation entirely in August , when I should have been knuckling down to marathon training. If anything, I outperformed myself to run 3:00:11 in Eindhoven.

After a couple of easy weeks, I hit my ground zero at our senior cross country race, where I was a tad embarrassed at my total lack of speed.

Got sort of going again into November, training in the morning before school, and a couple of 13ish mile long runs. I'm nowhere close to being as fit as I have been at this time of year, but I'm healthier and fresher than I've been any winter since about 2012, and that is just as important.

Our baby girl turned one last week, and looking back at the first year for all the kids, I've always had a step back year.

I'm about 90% sure of my next race, but will commit to it fully over the next couple of weeks, and try and get the log up and going again. The heights of the 2:49 marathon and 1:19 half are long gone, but I would hope that I can approach that level again. It'll be a challenge to get back to that level, but we'll give it a lash.

Weds 23rd Dec: 10 miles in 1:12 (7:15 pace)

I did a 13 mile run on Sunday, took Monday and Tuesday off. Plan on doing a decent couple of weeks over the Christmas holidays, so got off on a good note today with a steady 10 miler. It was a cold windy afternoon, but really enjoyed the run.

Thursday 24th Dec: 5.5miles at 6:58 pace

Very cold and windy weather. Took a route with a fast first 2 miles downhill before a very challenging 3 miles back up the hills into the wind.

Fri 25th Dec: 3.1 miles at 6:53 pace

Very cold this morning, around 1 degrees, with driving wind and rain. I was absolutely drenched to the skin but really enjoyed the harder work.

I'm taking part in a soccer tournament tomorrow, haven't played any football in about 10 years. The last time I played, I fractured my arm. Should be fun!!

26 Dec: soccer tournament

This was a good bit of fun. I only played for about 15 minutes, I'd plenty of running in me, but it was of the headless chicken variety. Felt a bit sore after but no damage done.

Sun 27th Dec: 16.5 miles at 6:58 avg pace.

Hadn't particularly planned on a long run today, and certainly didn't think I'd do it at that pace, but felt reasonably comfortable and enjoyed pushing it on a bit.

Tuesday 29th December: 5.5 miles at 7:05 pace

I was over in my brothers in Sligo for this one, nice change of scenery, lots of rolling hills over on the Leitrim border

Wednesday 30th: 4 miles at 6:22 avg pace

Up home in Scotstown for this one, out on the track at the football fields. Very cold, around 2 degrees, but I enjoyed the run. Increased the pace as I went

Sunday 3rd January: 18 miles at 7:26 avg pace

Down in Connemara for a few days, been planning on a good long run for a few days. It was pretty cold, windy and wet here this morning, and along with the mountainous terrain, made for a fairly challenging run. The first half of the run was down off the mountain and into Casla, but into a strong wind. I picked up the pace coming back up the hill. I felt like I could have easily enough tagged on another couple of miles, but I was soaked to the bone and left good enough alone.

Might get a couple of shorter runs done in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

welcome back A - good to see you back logging again.

What do you think caused the decrease in Motivation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

He got his ass well and truly handed to him by me in the Louth Senior XC which sent him into a spiraling depression, and had to be convinced to give the sport another go. ;)

• Advertisement

Well AuldMan,

There were a number of issues that affected me this year.
    1. I put the needs of the family first, and at key times when I should've been running 70 mpw, I wasn't prepared to be out of the house that much with a baby and two very energetic 4 and 6 year olds.

2. The broken rib and chest infections at the start of the year knocked me for six, I was determined to look after myself a bit better this autumn, as its just not worth it.

3. I sold my old house in Galway during the year, an extremely stressful process that was hanging over me most of the year. There were lots of trips west sorting out various matters, moving and cleaning etc

4. Once it became clear I wasn't going to threaten my marathon pb, I lost all focus and interest.

To be honest, I'm glad I lost motivation for a while. I think I needed a bit of a break from the constant time chasing. My body feels refreshed and ready to kick on with tougher training this year. Mentally, I've probably lost a bit of an edge, but I'll work on that over the next few months. I can't let PConn have bragging rights for too long!!

Advertisement