Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Windy Road to Nowhere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Mon 9th Mar: Rest

Tues 10th Mar: 4 miles in 31:20

The young ones were up at 6:30 Tuesday, so I'd a half an hour to spare. Legs felt fairly heavy, but nice to get out and get a run in good and early.

Weds 11th March: 5 miles in 30 minutes inc session

Was sort of cold in at the track, and the place was enveloped in smoke when I got in. I can't see how it can be healthy running in such an environment, reminded me of Haile's decision not to run the marathon in Beijing 2008. Anyway, there were only 3 of us to do the session lastnight, a repeat of the 2,000, 1,600, 1,200, 800, 400 from a couple of weeks back, but off 2 minutes recovery. PConn did the timekeeping. For the first lap of the 2,000, we were a couple of seconds slower than planned, but after that, practically every lap of every rep was progressively better. Times as follows:

2,000m - 7:14
    1,600m - 5:47
    1,200m - 4:10
    800m - 2:30
    400m - 1:06

I've got to admit, I enjoyed that session. The second lap of the 800m was a bit of a killer, and the last 150m of the 400m I was out on my feet, but having been given a target of 67 seconds by PConn, I didn't want to disappoint! There was an absolute world of a difference in how I felt on this session to the previous time I did it 2 weeks ago, and the times were better, and recoveries shorter. Heading in the right direction now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Excellent session and an impressive 400 there at the end.

TbL

Thurs 4th Mar: 4 miles in 30:30

Bog standard easy run on the treadmill. Legs a bit heavy after yesterday.

Sat 14th Mar: 4 miles in 25:55

I was down in Galway for the weekend, so just had time to fit this in before settling in to watch the rugby. Enjoyed the run, out around Knocknacarra where I used to live, and one of my old regular routes out the countryside.

Sun 15th March: 10.5 miles in 1:19 (7:35 avg pace)

After a good few pints yesterday, was feeling a bit fragile for the first couple of miles of this run, took a while to get any sort of pace going. Another nice route, went down by Barna, and down through Salthill, before heading back in through The Claddagh, and then back out to the hotel. Lovely morning for running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Sat 14th Mar: 4 miles in 25:55

I was down in Galway for the weekend, so just had time to fit this in before settling in to watch the rugby. Enjoyed the run, out around Knocknacarra where I used to live, and one of my old regular routes out the countryside.

Fáilte go Gaillimh! Where was your countryside route? Out towards the golf course?

• Advertisement

Go raibh maith agat, a Mhicilin. Rith mé amach an mbóthar Cappagh agus ar ais an Rahoon Rd. Bhí cónaí orm ar an Rahoon Rd ar feadh cuid bhliain. Mothaíonn tú go bhfuil tú faoin tuath ach tú díreach ar teorann an bhaile. Bhí sé deas a bheith ann arís.

Mar a rinne mé anuraidh, tá mé chun an log seo a aithriú chuig an Ghaeilge le linn Seachtain na Gaeilge. Is beo teanga í a labhairt.

Luan 16ú Márta: 4 mhíle i 30 nóiméad

I ndiadh na scoile, bhíos ag an linn snámha leis na páistí. Faoin am a bhí leathuair agam, bhí sé 9:30. Mar is ghnáth san am seo den bhliain, táim ag braith go mórmhór ar an muileann reatha. Aréir, shocraigh mé faoi tosnú ag 12.5km/h, ach tar éis 500m, thosaigh na fadhbanna. Ní thuigim cén fáth a dtarlaíonn sé seo, ach nuair a thosaigh mé arís ag 12km/h, ag dul suas níos moille, ní raibh aon fhadhb agam.

Beimid amuigh ag an bparáid inniu, ach le cúnamh Dé, gheobhaidh mé uair a chloig chun rud éigin a dhéanamh.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Maith an buacaill.... or something like that!!

17ú Márta: 11 mhíle i 1:18 (7:10 meanluas)

Bhíomar in Ard Fherdia inné i gcomhair an paráid. Thóg mé na bróga reatha liom chun rith abhaile. Shocraigh mé faoi rith tríd Philipstown. Bhí sé saghas fuar, agus giota beag gaofar faoin am seo. Bhí an chéad dhá mhíle díreach suas cnoc, bhíos ag rith ag 7:30 luas ansin. I ndiadh sin, rinne mé b'fhéidir 5 mile ag 6:40-6:50 nuair a bhí an talamh díreach. Mar bhí mé fós ag rith in aghaidh na gaoithe, bhí mé ag obair, ach ní ró-olc.

Bhí mé sásta go leor leis an rith sin. Bhí an bealach agus an aimsir beagánín dúshlánach, ach bhí mé compórdach.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

and I thought ultraman's log was cryptic...

• Advertisement

18ú de Márta: Sos

Rinne mé an-chuid obair sa ghairdín, dá bhrí sin, bhí saghas tuirse orm. Bhí an sos tuillte agam.

19ú Márta: 8 mile i 7:05 meanluas

Shroich mé baile inniu, 's bhí achan duine i dteach ár gcairde i gCollon, 4 mhíle uainn. Dúradh liom rith chucu. Bhí sin go breá. Rith mé an píosa seo de tapa go leor, thíos chuig 6:05-6:20. Bhí mé chun dul abhaile sa charr leis an gclann, ach chuir mo chara sicín 's pizza os mo chomhair, 's ní raibh mé in ann sin a dhiúltiú. Tar éis mo dhinnéar, rith mé abhaile arís, giota beag níos moille, le bholg lán. Beallach deas chun é a dhéanamh inniu.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

RayCun wrote: »
    and I thought ultraman's log was cryptic...

Technically it's against boards.ie rules to post in any language but English:
    English is the mother tongue of Ireland and is the language that the vast majority of our populace speaks. If you wish to speak in any other language, you must provide an English translation for what you're saying - it's just good manners. Some forums like Teach na nGealt or the Languages sub-forums are exempt from this rule.

Now don't make us report you PP! ;)

pconn062 wrote: »

Déan mo lá dom PConn! An bhfuil an píosa sin faoin Béarla dáirire, gurb é ár 'mother tongue'? Ba chóir go mbeadh náire ar an duine a scríobh é sin.

Déardaoin 20ú Márta: 3.1 mhíle i 6.58 meanluas

Dhúisigh an leanbh go luath ar maidin, thart ar 6:30, agus an gasún tamall ina diaidh. Bhí mé thuas ag ullmhú bia dóibh go léir. Le beagnach an obair tí uilig déanta ag ceathrú tar éis a seacht, thóg mé an deis chun rith amach agus giota beag a dhéanamh. Rith mé síos chuig Cros an Pápa. Go deas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nach bhfuil seachtain na Gaeilge thart?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Nach bhfuil seachtain na Gaeilge thart?

TbL

50 Seachtain an Bhéarla atá ann anois ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I ndáiríre ?? Cá bhfuil Liadh Ní Riada anois ???

kit3 wrote: »
    I ndáiríre ?? Cé bhfuil Liadh Ní Riada anois ???

I have no idea what you're saying, however I speak pretty fluent German if you would rather that instead of English?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I have no idea what you're saying, however I speak pretty fluent German if you would rather that instead of English?!

And I've no German - was wondering if that was actually true or if you were winding him up - Liadh Ní Riada is an MEP who is on strike because they are refusing to provide interpreters so that she can conduct her business through Irish, an official language in the EU. :) (hope I don't start any protracted discussion on your log PP)

Satharn 21ú Márta: Sos

Leis an rugbaí ar siúl agus cúpla rudaí eile á dhéanamh, ní raibh an t-am ná an suim agam dul amach inné.

Domhnach 22ú Márta: 20 mile i 2:16 (6:49 meanluas)

Bhí mé thuas i Muineacháin inniu. Bhí an aimsir ar fheabhas, agus thóg mé an deis chun dul amach. D'ullmhaigh mé mé féin i gceart do seo, d'ith mé agus d'ól mé go leor, agus thóg mé deoch agus gel amháin liom. Do maratón na Luimnigh, caithfí bróga reatha Brooks a chaitheamh. Ar eagla nach mbeinn go huile 's go hiomlán sásta leis na gcinn atá ag teacht, shocraigh mé faoi rith fhada amháin a dhéanamh i mo 'Ciúin Ghlas'. Ar aghaidh liom, leis an ghriain ag scoilteadh na gcrann is na gcloch.

Thosaigh mé sa Bhoth, le chúrsa trí Tí Damhnaith, Béal Átha an Fhóid, Baile Muineacháin, 's ar ais i gciorcal gar go leor don tuaisceart ag Ros Liath i bhFear Manach. Bhí sé ar intinn agam 15-16 mile a dhéanamh ag luas 6:50. Áfach, mhothaigh mé go hiontach, agus bhí an chéad 's an dara mhíle ag luas 6:51. Gan mórán iarracht, lean mé ar aghaidh le seo. Bhí sé saghas gaofar in áiteanna, bhí orm giota beag obair a dhéanamh anois 's arís, ach go háirithe ar chnoc deacair ar mhíle #19. Ach, d'éirigh go maith liom, le gach mile idir 6:43 agus 6:55. Seisiún den scoth sa Bhoth.

Tues 24th Mar: 4 miles in 30:30

Easy run on treadmill. Was a bit wrecked after Sunday's run and had my parents on Monday, so took the day off.

Weds 25th Mar: 5 mile pyramid in 35 mins

Was going to head for the track, but wimped out due to weather, just couldn't be bothered. Champions attitude right there!! Did a decent enough wee workout indoors instead, starting at 12kmph, doing a mile at 12, 13, 14, 15 , 14. Very comfortable, effort levels low.

Feeling very relaxed for pacing gig now, have gotten back to speed well since January's problems. Considering a race or two between now and May, Dunboyne on Subday a possibility.

• Advertisement

Fri 27th March: 4 miles at 7:15 pace.

The young ones had me up before 6. (When's the clock going forward?!) tried and failed to get back to sleep so in the end got up and went our for a couple of miles. Nice, crisp morning, good to have a bit done before breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Piper Boy, as you know my Irish is a bit on the minimal side, but just looking at that 20 miler there. You wouldn't fancy a sub 3 pacing gig in New York, would ya??

Itziger wrote: »
    Piper Boy, as you know my Irish is a bit on the minimal side, but just looking at that 20 miler there. You wouldn't fancy a sub 3 pacing gig in New York, would ya??

All expenses paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

All expenses paid?

Thought that might be one of the first questions alright :)

Guess I'll just have to run up and down them bridges on me own (with the other 55,000).

Sat 28th Mar: a measly 3 miles in 22 mins

5 hours sleep and awake before 6 this morning left me struggling a bit for energy all day. Twice considered and didn't bother going outdoors running, tiredness and windy weather were easy get outs. In the end just did an easy run indoors. Will decide on racing tomorrow based on weather

Sun 29: 7.5 miles in 7:30 pace

Spent the first half of the day looking out trying to decide whether I'd go to Dunboybe, very windy so I wimped out. Had a fine big dinner so was getting late by the time I went out, glad I didn't race as weather was tough going.

Mon 30th Mar: 5 miles in 35:15

Weather rubbish again so opted for a progressive run on treadmill. Started at 12kmph, increased by 0.1 every minute, up to 15.2, before easing back down for the last half mile.

Hoping to do a run of around 18 miles tomorrow, and possibly a 'race' in Monaghan on Sunday. It might be a fun run!!

Race on Monday in Mountpleasant either if you fancy that, only €10.

Race on Monday in Mountpleasant either if you fancy that, only €10.

Would love to, but tricky week with mrs TPP gone on holidays next week, I'll have the 3 kids in tow at all times.. Unless you fancy babysitting for me?

Would love to, but tricky week with mrs TPP gone on holidays next week, I'll have the 3 kids in tow at all times.. Unless you fancy babysitting for me?

Ha, I hope to run too, other that that. Whatever about the two older ones I definitely wouldn't cope with the baby!

• Advertisement

Tues 31st Mar: 15.2 miles at 7:10 avg pace

I knew it was due to be a windy afternoon, but thought it was going to be southwesterly so thought running home from Tayto Park might be a breeze. Turned out to be a northerly wind verging on gale force at times I reckon. Mrs TPP dropped me at the side of the road around Kentstown, immediately realised the wind would be tough. Around Slane, I started to get very worried as trees were swaying and random bits of debris were blowing into me. Each passing lorry threw up a deluge of water. Was about to pack it in and thumb a lift but it eased a bit once I got north of Slane. Was able to put in about 5 miles at 6:5x pace, then the hailstones started. Got pounded with that for a while before enjoying beautiful sunshine for 10 minutes. Mrs TPP was out and about driving so decided to jump in the car. Despite the conditions, really enjoyed that.

Advertisement