Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Windy Road to Nowhere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

A break like that can be a good thing to get the juices flowing again for hard training. Doesn't seem like you are in too bad a shape anyway. Onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Weds 6th Jan: 6 miles in 46 minutes

Treadmill running today. Was taking down Christmas decorations at school and at home, so was a bit tired.. However, scraped myself off the couch to do this handy one

Thursday 7th Jan: 10 miles at 6:58 pace

Nice run out this evening after school. It was very cold, muscles took a while to get into gear, but motored along nicely

Sat 9th January: 7.6 miles at 7:22 pace

Hadn't really planned this run, just happened to wake up and decided to head out first thing.

Sun 10th January: 20 miles at 7:30 avg pace

Got up at 6:20 am to get this done as early as possible, and on empty. I'll be doing most long runs on empty with no drinks for Conn training. It was a very dark morning, no moon whatsoever. Struggled a bit to see where I was going for the first mile until I got down onto the old N1. Ran on ahead into Drogheda and added a loop out the Slane road to bring up the distance. Running out the quays by the viaduct, a bit of brightness started breaking through. I ran these miles with a breeze on my back, comfortably in the 7:1x range.

Turning into the wind and heading up the hills from Termonfeckin made sure I had to work harder for the last 6 miles. It turned into a really icey cold wind at the top of the hill, I was absolutely freezing going back into the house. Very pleased with that run, a proper long run on empty, and felt pretty comfortable.

Are you doing the 1/2, full or Ultra in Conn?

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    Are you doing the 1/2, full or Ultra in Conn?

I've entered the ultra. Fairly daunting distance, but I'm sure I'll handle it alright. A few back to back long runs will be the biggest difference between this and marathon training

Tues 12th Jan: 4 miles in 30 minutes

Progressive run on the treadmill.

Weds 13 Jan: 4 miles in 30 minutes

Same again.. Should hopefully do a longer effort tomorrow.

Thursday 14 January: 10.1 miles at 6:52 avg pace

This doesn't on paper look like a particularly amazing session, but I was very pleased with it. The first couple of miles, as ever easily fast going downhill, so no real work to be done. I was very happy with the mid section of the run though, over the Gallstown road, steady climb and into a freezing cold breeze. Kept running 6:4x mile splits, working hard but not flat out. Easy slower mile to finish, at which time it was snowing and nearly dark.

Things going pretty well so far. Legs felt a bit achy for a few days, but they seem to have caught up on me now. So far so good.

This doesn't on paper look like a particularly amazing session, but I was very pleased with it. The first couple of miles, as ever easily fast going downhill, so no real work to be done. I was very happy with the mid section of the run though, over the Gallstown road, steady climb and into a freezing cold breeze. Kept running 6:4x mile splits, working hard but not flat out. Easy slower mile to finish, at which time it was snowing and nearly dark.

Things going pretty well so far. Legs felt a bit achy for a few days, but they seem to have caught up on me now. So far so good.

• Advertisement

Sat 16th Jan: 17.7 miles at 6:56 pace

Didn't think I'd be doing a long run today, but got a window of 2 hours at 3 and headed off. Fast first 5 miles down to Termonfeckin, then kept the work rate up as I was feeling good. Best run in a while I'd say.

Sun 17 Jan: 7.35 miles at 7:22 avg pace

I was up in Blanchardstown with our eldest for a birthday party, and had a bit of time to kill. I considered heading down for the Phoenix Park, but decided I could end up wasting too much time parking, etc. Quick look at maps and thought I'd chance running a loop on back roads to Leixlip. Headed out towards Clonee, but when I turned off onto the Leixlip road, realised I'd be putting my life in the hands of lorry drivers on a narrow road so turned back to the safety of the footpaths. Took a loop back through Clonsilla. Bonus to get any running today with sick children, horse riding, bday party, etc. Decent enough week overall.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads in terms of what I should be doing in training. If this was marathon training, I'd be thinking about putting in the odd session, but I don't think that would benefit me for a 39.3 mile race. Then again, I don't really have a clue. Anyone got any wise words for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You should plan on a couple of back to back long runs, personally found these very useful

TbL

You should plan on a couple of back to back long runs, personally found these very useful

TbL

Cheers. Yeah, I'm trying to build myself up to that. Would you go 18-18, 18-20, hardly 2 20 milers? How many of those type of weekends could you do without taking too much of a battering?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Cheers. Yeah, I'm trying to build myself up to that. Would you go 18-18, 18-20, hardly 2 20 milers? How many of those type of weekends could you do without taking too much of a battering?

Build them up slow, 18/20 should have you in good stead but not much difference between 18/20 & 20/20. I did longer back to backs but I was chasing something different different back then.

Might be worth considering throwing in the odd marathon (plenty of cheap ones on between MCI & EOI) followed or preceded by a good long run.

Disclaimer: no expert, just my personal experience

TbL

Tuesday 19th and Wednesday 20th Jan: 4 and 5 miles in 30 and 38 minutes

Easy progressive running on the treadmill. Yesterday was the first day it's been running smoothly this winter. Other days, it takes the odd hissy fit and abruptly slows itself down, which is a bit of a nuisance. It's been at this every winter this past 3 years. Must be man flu or something.

Thursday 21st Jan: 10 miles at 6:50 average pace

Same route as last week, but didn't get out the door until 4:20 so I was chasing the fading light. A couple of miles in the 6:2x range, and good hard running over a hilly route.

Sun 24 Jan: 20 miles at 7:20 pace

I thought I'd get in a few miles yesterday but it never happened. I'd my alarm set for 6:50 this morning to get out early but I was just too tired to face it so opted instead for the afternoon. A balmy enough sort of day for the time of year, but very windy in places too.

I did this one on total empty again, and apart from zonking a bit after 18 miles, climbing a very steep hill, I felt good. Hopefully next weekend I'll try for two long runs

Tuesday 26 Jan: 4 miles in 31 minutes

I was going to make a return to running before school this morning but when I got up at 7, the wind was absolutely howling around the house, so I decided instead on the treadmill. It's definitely having some sort of midlife crisis, was reluctant to do any sort of pace, then it got it together in the end. Worthless enough sort of a run, but I probably need to shed a few pounds, so every run counts.

• Advertisement

Weds 27 Jan: 4 miles in 30 minutes

Treadmill in evening.

Thurs 28 Jan: 12.8 miles at 7:15 avg pace

Hell of an evening for running. It was relatively calm for the first half of the run, but it turned really miserable on the way home, rain and strong winds. Hadn't ran this route around Grangebellew and Dunleer in a long time, but little to enjoy about it given the conditions. Good to get a longer midweek run all the same

Fri 29 Jan: 17.5 miles at 7:29 avg pace

The rest of the family happened to be away for a few hours this evening so an unexpected opportunity arose to get in a long run for the weekend. Got out of school quick smart and was on the road by 3:20.. Legs felt a bit heavy after yesterday and had a bit of discomfort in my hip for the first few miles (need to keep an eye on that).. However, the wind was on my back, so the first few miles down through Termonfeckin and into Clogherhead were snappy enough, around 6:50-7:15 pace .

I was running into the wind from there on in. A friend from the area slowed down his school bus to offer me a bottle of water and a bit of encouragement. The wind got stronger and stronger as I continued towards home, and I'd to dig in a bit. Pace fell off for the last two miles, I just felt battered by the conditions and the hills.

Anyway, great start to the weekend. The first back to back long runs done. I know they're probably slightly on the short side, but I'll increase them the next time.

Sun 31 Jan: 2 disastrous treadmill miles

Horror show, I think it's about to pack it in..

Mon 1st Feb: 7.7 miles at 6:52 avg pace

Storm Frank was unleashing serious stuff for the duration of this run. I'd the benefit of it on my back on the way down the hill, running the first 5k in under 19 minutes without pushing at all. But, the return up the hill into the wind was without doubt one of the toughest couple of miles I ever ran. Damn near got blown off the road, but made it back safely with no trees falling on me.

Thurs 3rd Feb: 4 miles in 30:30

Easy run on the treadmill

Fri 5th Feb: 7.6 miles at 6:45 pace

Fairly lively run around Sandpit. Was heading for a wedding so this was at the unusual time of 10:30 on a Friday morning. Felt good

Sunday 6th: 6k Rás na hÉireann in 22:12

First race since November, and was looking for a bit of redemption, having fallen dramatically down the pecking order in the club. Pace was fairly fast the first lap of four and there were a lot of people ahead of me I felt I should have been with. I decided that I would have to run what I felt was an appropriate pace for me, and stay patient. I steadily picked up places in the 3rd and 4th lap losing just one. Ran a very strong last lap and was happy with how it went.

Monday 8th Feb: 4 easy on treadmill in 31 minutes

Tuesday 9th Feb: 7.55 miles at 6:58 avg pace

Another cold and windy evening, another run down by Sandpit and Ballymakenny. Getting stronger on the hills

Thursday 11th Feb: 7.6 miles at 7:11 pace

Can't really remember that run, it was just a non eventful easy one.

Sat 13th Feb: 10 miles in 77:30 (7:45 avg pace)
    Treadmill all the way on yesterday's mlr. Put the youngest in bed and ran until she woke up. Increased the pace every mile, starting at 12kmh, finishing at 13. Very low effort levels, was having the craic with the young fella most of the time, so the miles flew by.

Sun 14th Feb: 20.25 miles at 7:18 avg pace

It was cold and windy for large parts of this run, but I kept effort levels low for most of it. On the way back, I'd the breeze on my back, so pushed on a little bit, and worked harder on the uphill sections. Easiest long run in a very long time, felt great.

Mon, Weds and Fri: 4 miles each in 31, 30 and 29 minutes

Seemed to be chasing my tail a lot of the week, and just couldn't seem to get an opportunity to get out much, but not to worry.

Sat 20Jan: 16 miles in 1:59

Very relaxed easy running for most of this. The wind and running up the hill made the last three miles torturous, but happy enough. Hopefully a longer run tomorrow

As you can probably guess I am far from an expert when it comes to ultra running but I would suggest you need to run some long runs at a slower pace, to get familiar with spending more time on your feet. All your long runs so far have been at race pace or faster, probably maxing out ar 2 1/2 hours. Maybe the odd 20/22 mile run at 8 minute plus pace to give you closer to 3 hours, or a low key marathon in 3.30-40. I could be wrong but those long runs with lots of time on your feet seem important to me.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you're spot on there PConn. I'd tried to go as easy as possible today, and will try for even slower tomorrow. Race pace is 7:35 or so..

I'm toying with the idea of the Tralee marathon or else just running 26.1 miles by myself some day in around 3:25.. East of Ireland marathon races don't suit unfortunately

Advertisement