Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Windy Road to Nowhere

1363738394042»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Louth Intermediate cross country: 8k in 31:49 for 11th

lovely morning for running on Sunday. Men’s race was at 10:40. Arrived incredibly early, the first team member to appear. Must have been a blue moon. We’d just the 4 of us, and In last couple of years, I’d not exactly set the world alight, so expected I’d sit in a group of club mates. However, about 100 metres in, I realised my teammates weren’t in top form and a group of 15 or so was breaking away at the front. I gave chase and sat in at the back. Over the first of the five laps, I picked up a couple of places, and assessed the course as being challenging enough, a few hills, turns and slow surface.

On the 3rd lap I was up to 12th, about 50 metres behind a rival from another club. With good encouragement from club mates and family, set about chasing him down. When I went past, the guy downed tools, so I was safe enough in 11th. Despite thinking the next guy would slow and come back to me, I never really made inroads, and couldn’t really generate speed. Happy enough with 11th. Surprisingly, we picked up 3rd place team, nice little bonus.

All 4 kids ran various age groups. 4 and 6 year olds ran in non championship races Under 8, both going really well. 6 year old dug in really hard to get 4th. 10 year old ran a superb tactical race to out sprint his rival taking the U11 title, his first at cross country. 12 year old was going well early on, but faded a little in her race. A very enjoyable day for the whole family.

Mon 11 Oct: 7 miles in 51:07 (7:18)

With darker evenings now, I’ll have to keep to the town streets in Dundalk on Mondays.

Weds: 4.8 miles in 32:48 (6:50)

Similar problem with darkness on Wednesday, but it’s still better than no running.

14-15: 4:8 miles home from school each day in 36:07 (7:32)

Same run home both days, times within 0.4 seconds. I don’t know what that says about me.

Sat 16th: Cologne virtual half marathon in 1:23:20 (6:25)

Cologne was meant to have been my autumn marathon this year, but it was cancelled due to rising Covid numbers and poor vaccine uptake, so a virtual race was offered. To be fair, I got a full refund on marathon, full refund from Ryanair and free entry for the virtual event. Anyway, despite a couple of beers at home Friday night, I was feeling pretty fresh Saturday morning. Decided on a a route into Drogheda, around Baltray, Termonfeckin and finishing in Sandpit. Last 3 miles would be uphill and into the wind, but what harm.

I ran the distance in 1:24 a couple of months ago, so figured something similar should be a decent effort. First 3 miles into Drogheda all downhill, so started off at a gallop, through 5k in 19 minutes. Heading out the Boyne estuary, I eased up a bit, back to 6:20 pace. Motored along well until 10 miles mark in Termonfeckin when the expected wind and start of the uphill section got me really huffing and puffing. Pace fell off to 6:42 for miles 11 and 12, really tough. Thanks to a right hand turn, and a bit of flat road, I got Míle 13 back on pace, and stumbled the last .1 to get a time of 1:23:20. According to the leaderboard on the app, the winner ran the WR in 55 minutes. Discounting that, I placed 4th in the event.

That’s my fastest time over the half marathon distance since 2014, which is very satisfying. I don’t think I could have taken any more than another minute maximum out of it, had it been a real race. Leinster Novice cross country next Saturday will be another good workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Nice running, fella. Before my injury woes, I was almost exactly where you are. Did a Half in 1.23.** as well. Shame there's nowhere we could do a real one, although for me it's out of the question anyway. Congratulations to the new generation also, great to see.

Sun 18 Oct: 7 miles in 51:37 (7:22)

Steady running around Dundalk streets. I already miss the long summer evenings. Running on footpaths not that much fun.

Tues 19: 4.8 mile in 37:12 (7:45)

Weds 20: 7 miles in 50:57 (7:16)

Steady running around Drogheda streets. Maybe I’ll get back on the track on Wednesday evenings, this running around town streets is rubbish.

Thurs-Fri 21&22: 4.8 miles in 37:20 and 36:30

Tues 26: 5 miles in 37:25 (7:28)

Thurs 28th: 6 miles in 42:45 (7:07)

Nice few days down in Connemara. Mountains make for great bang for buck.

Louth Senior Cross Country 2021

An hour before this, I was still trying to convince my father in law’s horse to get out of my garden without her injuring herself or me. Looked unlikely I’d make the start line but she eventually complied and I hit the road to DKIT.

We had a small enough team of 8, with two of our guys amongst the medal hopes. The ladies won the team competition and gave the lowdown on the course being slow,,wet and mucky. I was happy with this, as this type of setup disguises my lack of pace but suits my aerobic strength.

Hit the off for the first of 6 laps, tucked in behind our 3rd and 4th place runners. Lots of guys went off pretty hard and about half a lap in I was probably in about 30th or 35th. I didn’t give a hoot, I was going to run this the way I wanted to. Before the end of the first lap, I started making up a couple of places, and held my pace well. We’d loads of encouragement out on the course, and I felt strong. Over the 2nd lap, I passed probably another 7 or 8 people, including my two club mates before being informed by our chairman that one of our strong runners at the front had pulled up. A mild expletive followed before my decision to use the remaining 5k to haul in as many people in front of me as possible. The gaps were big enough, maybe 30-40 metres each time, but a lot of people were finding the going tough, and I was really feeding off going past guys . Great to be racing again. I slowed down slightly on the 5th lap before picking it up on the last lap again for another long range attack. Kept the hammer down all the way to finish in 17th, possibly one of my best ever races cross country. Time was 38:40, not particularly impressive, but the performance was good.

6:12, 6:10, 6:19, 6:15, 6:26, 6:18

Next up will be Louth Masters at the end of the month. It’s only 5k, so it won’t suit me as well. However, this has been a decent season, so looking forward to another race before the year end.

• Advertisement

Mon 1st Nov: 4.8 miles in 36:40 (7:38)

Thurs 4th: 6 miles in 45:30 (7:39)

Couple of easy run homes from school. Legs were a bit knackered after the cross country.

Tues 9th: 4.8 miles in 35:48 (7:28)

Fri 12th: 4.8 miles in 35:31 (7:24)

Sat 13th: 3.1 miles in 24:32 (7:55)

Couple of steady runs home from school, then a cross country hilly session on Saturday with the young fella, who has two All Ireland races over the next few weeks.

Sun 14th: 10 miles in 1:09 (6:57)

Steady run down by Sandpit. Moving fairly well.

Weds 17th: 6.3 miles in 44:50 (7:06) inc 3x1mile on the track.

2nd youngest started training at the track with the club this evening, so decided I should stay there for the next while to keep an eye. Probably a good thing for me as I’m lacking a bit of speed. Splits were 5:42, 5:46, 5:48

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Busy man with all the races!! You happy enough with where you are right now??

Cheers A, yeah I’m feeling pretty good with how I’m going. Getting back to something like the levels I was at 7-10 years ago, and it’s at a more sustainable level from a training perspective. I’ll see what the next few weeks and months bring, but I’m certainly enjoying my running and making progress.

Fri 19th Nov: 2 miles in 13:30 (6:43) and 4.8 miles in 34:26 (7:11)

Bit of a session at the track with school kids in morning and then run home in afternoon.

Sat 20th: 10 miles in 1:10 (7:06)

Mon 22nd: 10 miles in 68:54 (6:53)

Steady run on Sat, and sort of progressive run in Dundalk on Monday.

Weds 24: 4.75 miles in 37:15 (7:50) and 5.7 miles in 36:55 (6:30)

Run home from school and club session in the evening. Can’t remember what we did. I think it was 2 miles tempo by myself, then possibly 2x400, 800, 1,600 and then cool down.

Sat 27: 7 miles in 54:36 (7:48)

Tipping about in Oldbridge when the young lad was doing his club session.

Louth Masters Cross country

Bitter cold morning with a freezing breeze. I decided I was going to run this 5k race hard, it’s not my type of distance, but felt like I could run in and around 18:00, so went with it right from the start. I got out fairly fast for me and was in about 12th. Within about 400-500 metres, I felt like I should be a little further up, and moved up to about 6th by the end of the first of 3 laps. I briefly went into 4th, but two guys went past me, and that was more or less that. I worked as hard as I could to keep the lad in front of me honest, with neither of us really losing much pace, but I couldn’t have given any more. Finished in 6th overseas, 5th master, and 1st O35. Time was 18:12 which is decent for the conditions. We got 3rd team. That was a decent haul of county medals this season, nice getting an individual one to go with the team medals.

• Advertisement

Mon 29 Nov: 12.2 miles in 1:27 (7:09)

It has been a goal of mine for a good number of years now to go through a whole calendar year running at least 100 miles per month. Needed to run 11 on Monday to keep that going for 2021. Started slow, but within 2 or 3 miles, Sunday’s efforts were totally forgotten, so was tipping along nicely.

Weds 1 Dec: 4 miles in 23:33 (5:53)

Did a couple of laps warmup, then jumped into some sort of session with the lads. 1x800, 8x400, 1x800. The paces were about 78-80 on the 400s, and 2:40-5 for 800s. Felt fairly comfortable. Looking forward to a good winter of running with more regular track work, should be a good thing for me.

Thurs 2nd: 4.8 miles in 36:13 (7:33)

Run home from school in the dark with head torch. Cold and wet, but happy to be out running. Feeling in a very good place with how running is going at the moment. With wearing face masks and proper ventilation at school, I’ve been healthier this winter than at any point since I started teaching. Every cloud, etc.

Sun 5th: 4.1 miles in 29:06 (7:06)

Long day driving to and from Kilkenny for the nationals, felt like stretching the legs when I got home. Felt like the first time in ages I’d been on my own local loop, which is indicative of how I’ve managed to do quite a lot of my running lately fitting in around life.

Mon 6th: 10 miles in 1:13 (7:19)

Very cold evening in Dundalk, took me ages to warm up and get moving well, but going nicely by the end. Ran into a huge puddle by accident, but didn’t really get wet, glad to be wearing the Odyssey Shield. Perfect shoe for wet conditions.

Thurs 9th: 4.8 miles in 34:58 (7:17)

One of the very few wet evenings running home from school. Turned up the pace a bit on the hill, want to get as strong as I can on hills over the next four months.

Sat 11th: 5k in 19:58

Club fun run on the beach, 5 out of the 6 of us went down, 10 year old son and 7 year old daughter started off with me, she dropped back to wife and 4 year old son. Kept the pace steady for the first 2k with young fella, then pushed on a bit to try to get under 20. Young fella ran 21:50 or so. Two smallies had a great 2.5k run in 19:57 to finish just before me. Hot chocolate, coffee, selection boxes, etc rounded off a lovely morning in Termonfeckin.

Mon 13th: 12 miles in 1:20 (6:41)

Very foggy night in Dundalk, couldn’t see the road in front of me in places, but nice pace.

Tues 14th: 4.1 miles in 30 (7:21)

Thurs 16th: 5 miles in 37:37 (7:32)

Run home from school.

Sat 18th: 4.1 miles in 29:32 (7:12)

Sun 18th: 6 miles in 40:10 (6:41)

We all went down to the local football field, kids kicked around whilst Mrs TPP did laps on the track around the field. Nice change of scenery.

Thurs 23rd: 4.1 miles in 27:34 (6:43)

laps of the field again. I got the booster jab on Tuesday, thought I just had a sore arm, but was wrecked with a high temp on Wednesday afternoon. Could barely stand up, never mind going for a run. Grand by evening time.

Fri 24th: 10.2 miles in 70:55 (6:57)

Weather was a bit drizzly and breezy, but motored along nicely.

Tues 28 Dec: 13.1 miles in 1:33 (7:07)

Took a couple of days off running and had a nice, quiet Christmas. Headed down to Connemara for couple of days, got a beautiful morning for this longish run. Scenery and weather perfect.

Weds 29: 4 miles in 30 (7;30)

Headed the opposite direction in the mountains. Windy, heavy going.

Thurs 30: 4.1 miles in 29:16 (7:08)

Back home. Decided to head out in heavy fog, in the dark and rain. Strangely enjoyable challenge trying not to run into the ditches.

Fri 31: 4.1 miles in 28:18 (6:54)

Nice finish to the year, to tip the monthly mileage over 100. This was my first year doing at least 100 miles per month for a full year.

2021 review:

This was a good year for me. I had hoped to run a sub3 marathon, but my one and only marathon race was in Monaghan, and getting the win in 3:00:45 was more special than a time.

Cross country went well, picked up a few team medals, and individual in the Masters.

Mileage total of 1,760 is my second best ever year.

2022 Goals:

I want to do a sub3 marathon, so will have to run well in Connemara. If it doesn’t happen there, I’ll have a decision to make for autumn.

Its been 7 years since I ran any PB. I’m close enough to 2014 level shape, so should be able to threaten my 5k best of 17:25 at the very least.

Keep mileage steady, 100+ per month is a good rule of thumb.

Sat 1st Jan: 4 miles in 27:12 (6:47)

First run of the year. Cold and windy. Pushed hard on the hills.

Sun 2nd: 7.5 miles in 52:59 (7:04)

Mon 3rd: 4.1 miles in 28:18 (6:54)

Couple of fast miles in the middle.

Weds 5th: Míle, 2k, Mile, 2k

Track session. Track was slippery with ice, but nice to be back doing a club workout. I’d my dinner (and Christmas pudding) a bit late so didn’t feel entirely comfortable on this run, but did alright. Total of 4.5 miles in 26:50 (5:56)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

A 17.25 off 100 miles a month - Jaysus -

What mileage were you doing (monthly) for your Monaghan win??

I probably averaged about 150 miles per month in the six months from March-September. I don’t think over 50 miles per week is sustainable or as enjoyable for me as 35-40. I suppose I could be accused of sandbagging for the last 7 or 8 years, but I’m enjoying running this past couple of years immensely. If I can run half decent times off less than 40 miles per week, I’ll be very happy. If I don’t, I’m happy anyway.

Thurs 6th and Fri 7th Jan: 4.8 miles in 36 (7:3x)

Bitter cold and windy both days running home, but mercifully no rain.

Sun 9th: 16 miles in 1:59 (7:27)

9 miles PMP. I hadn’t a clear plan what I’d do this morning as I hadn’t done a long run for a few weeks, but ran on feel. Roads were very icy up my hill, but on main road and down by the Boyne, no issues. The last 4 miles were just a slow slog up the hill and into the wind. I just eased back to 8:30+ pace. Happy enough with that session.

I have noticed a couple of little muscular twinges this past couple of months whilst running in the cold. If the temperatures are over 5, it seems ok, but around 0-3, seems to happen a bit. I don’t think it’s something to be concerned about, but I’ll stay aware.

Tues 11th: 4.1 miles in 28:40 (7:00)

Out in the dark with head torch. Cold, but fresh and clear. Very enjoyable.

Weds 12th: am: 2.5 miles with school inc 1k in 3:58 with one speedy young fella.

pm:5.15 miles in 32:26 (6:17)

Did a very slow warm up, then 1 mile, 3k, 1 mile in 5:45-5:55 sort of pace. Legs were sore and tired before, during and after this.

Thurs and Fri: 4.8 miles run home (7:21 &7:31 pace)

Sun 16th: 17.5 miles in 2:08 (7:21)

Nothing fast or difficult on this, just a steady pace and effort on Clogherhead loop. Lovely afternoon for it.

I seem to be still having occasional issues in groin, darting pain every so often. Maybe a bit of stretching will help. It’s not getting any worse or better, but I’d prefer to be without it.

• Advertisement

Mon 17: 4.5 miles in 33:23 (7:25)

Sore groin, trying to look after it.

Tues 18 - Thurs 20: 5 miles run mute each day (7:4x)

Easy running each day, groin seemed to be getting better, didn’t chance a session on the track.

Sun 23: 17.5 miles in 2:04 (7:08)

I went out intending to go easy and to be honest, wasn’t really pushing much at any point. Ended up however, with 8 miles at 6:4x-6:5x pace. Backed off after that. Groin felt good on the run, but tight after.

I’ll take a bit of an easy week this week, bit of restricted movements going on and I think my little niggle could do with a few more days rest.

Thurs 27th: 4.1 miles in 31:16 (7:38)

Strange sort of week, but as I had sort of planned, I think my body was happy enough for the rest.

Sun 30th: 10 miles in 70 (7:00)

Nice to be back on the road after an easy week. Groin seems happier.

Mon 31st: 10 miles in 71:42 (7:10)

Back running around the streets and roads around Dundalk. Met a club mate randomly and ran along together for a bit.

146 miles for the month is a pretty reasonable January for me. 3 long runs of 16-18 miles with another few 10+ miles run. Couple of sessions on the track felt like a good plan but in hindsight, I’m just not sure if hard running on the track at close to freezing temperatures did my niggly groin any favours. Steady, slower running beats getting hurt for the sake of a session any day of the week, so I’ll take it easy for a while yet.

Mon 7 Feb: 10 miles in 71:39 (7:10)

9, 10, 11: 4.8 each day (7:30ish)

Sun 13: 7.5 miles in 52:34 (7:00)

Mon 14: 10 miles in 1:13 (7:18)

15, 16, 17, 18: 4.8 miles each is 7:30 avg

Sun 21: 4.1 miles in 28:36 (6:59)

Mon 21: 10 miles in 69:28 (6:57)

Tues 22: 5.2 miles in 40 (7:42)

Fri 25: 5 miles in 36:36 (7:19)

sun 27: 5 miles in 38 (7:35)

Mon 28: 10 miles in 71 (7:09)

Tues, Weds 1&2 March: 4.8 at 7:30ish

Sun 6: 16 miles in 1:58 (7:23)

8, 9, 10, 11: 4.8 miles in 7:30avg

Strange month in work, injury just simmering below the surface, miserable weather, and busy with lots of random stuff meant a very unsatisfactory February. I’ll have to be realistic now with my goals for Connemara, as chasing a hard target at this point will only aggravate the little injury. Lately it’s more like two steps forward, one back, so I’ll not push my luck.

Mon 14 March: 10 miles in 68:15 (6:49)

Normal Monday run in Dundalk. Put a little bit of pace into it, felt comfortable.

Sat 19: 4.1 miles in 30:46 (7:30)

Busy few days with normal routine changed a bit. Figured the few days off might be good for this persistent groin strain.

Sat 20: 21 miles in 2:38 (7:34)

First proper long run in a while. Quite w windy day but lovely spring sunshine. Kept the pace steady (7:15-20) most of the time, knowing that I’d be up against it with the wind on the last 5 miles uphill from Dunleer. Felt fairly strong, quite comfortable up to 17 miles, then just backed off for the last few. Groin felt grand on the run but sore in the hours after.

I will just have to content myself with how things have gone over the spring, I haven’t managed to train how I wanted to, but it’s fine. Ill try to get a couple of long runs in over the next few weeks, but it’s unlikely I’ll be able to target sub3. First world problems and all of that.

Sun 21 March: 4.45 miles in 35 (7:53)

Weds 24: 4.8 miles in 36:17 (7:34)

Thurs 25: 4.8 miles in 36 (7:32)

Mon 28: 12.4 miles in 1:23 (6:42)

Tues 29: 4.8 miles in 37:40 (7:51)

Fri 1st Apr: 4.75 miles in 36:18 (7:39)

More frustration with little injuries as I pulled a muscle in my lower back on the above run. Could barely stand up and walk for a week. Marathon was looking like a distant dream.

Fri 8th April: 4.8 miles in 37:56 (7:54)

Mon 11th: 11.2 miles in 1:21 (7:15)

Tues 12: 6 miles in 46:38 (7:46)

Weds 13: 6 miles in 44:56 (7:29)

Sat 16: 4.1 miles in 30:29 (7:26)

Mon 18: 10 miles in 1:11 (7:09)

Fri 22: 5 miles in 39:38 (7:55)

Well, that wraps up a very unsatisfactory spring marathon training block. Given the good shape I was in coming into winter, I had hoped to put myself in with a shout of a very strong marathon. Unfortunately, I’ve just had constant little niggles and have never been able to put a few good weeks together.

The wind is howling in Connemara, I’ve hardly any proper long runs done. I reckon I’ll just run by feel on Sunday and try to get through the distance without hurting myself.

2022 Connemarathon Race Report

This was one of the more frustrating training blocks I’ve had. I appeared to be in decent shape November and was really confident I could push on over the winter. Anyway, it wasn’t to be so it was a case of salvaging a half decent race, and hoping not to get too injured. With a strong easterly breeze and bright sunshine, it was clear that conditions were going to be tricky. So, my goal was to ensure I ran faster than 3:16, my time from Connemarathon 2007. This being my 30th marathon, and first return to Connemara since dropping out of the 2016 Ultra, I knew it would require a bit of good luck.

That said, when we headed for the off, I had no clear plan apart from running on feel and enjoying it. Shortly after the start, there was a clear front group of 10-12, and a bit of a gap back. I decided on the hoof to hang onto the tail end of the first group, which split up quickly into 3 or 4 smaller groups. First couple of miles, I was surprised that there was no wind so made good ground during the first six miles, running comfortably in the 6:40s. I was running along with a lad from Navan AC, and the scenery, running and company was good.

Turning East onto the Leenaun road, any dreams of an easy, leisurely 3 hours went right out the window. The wind just whipped into our faces, heading uphill, heart rate up to 190s! Real tough work, but thankfully there was downhill to come. Still, hard work right the way to Leenaun alongside Killary fjord. Coming into the village, we passed halfway in1:30:20, knowing that worse was to come.

Slotting in with the half runners, climbing up the hills again, my long time companion suddenly dropped off and bade me good luck. Cresting the hill and heading for Maam I got right back on pace, back into 6:40s-50s again. There was no group to work in so was just trying to keep the effort levels good and not destroy myself. At 20 miles, I was probably on for 3:05, but the downhill into Maam was sending warning shots in various areas all over my body. Surely the wind would get behind me, lift me up and deposit me at the top of the mountain, and I’d sprint the last two miles downhill to Maam Cross to finish in 2:56 to get on the podium?

Unfortunately, none of that happened. Wind was still in my face, I had to run up what felt like Mt Everest mixed with Death Valleyesque soaring temperatures. I had the indignity of getting passed out by a fellow marathoner and about 100 half marathoners who had the cheek to be running normally. 6:50s had gone to 7s, to 8s to 9:45 on Mile 24. I may as well have been 50 miles from the finish. Then mercifully, I reached the top of Mt Everest and realised I’d only about a mile and a half to run. I thought for a couple of minutes that my hamstring was going to spontaneously combust, so there was no glorious burst for home, but I did manage to get back down to 7:xx pace for the last two miles.

My wife and four children gave me a huge cheer, and I got over the line in 3:10:21 for 8th

TG4 grabbed me for an interview when they heard me talking Gaeilge, so we all ended up ar an Nuacht, deireadh an-deas leis an lá.

The 500 metre walk back to the car was horrendous, lots of pain, far harder than the marathon in fact, but I was very happy with the performance. Tough day for running, rubbish training, foolhardy (zero) strategy, I think I can be very proud of how I did today.

Post edited by ThePiedPiper on

Advertisement