Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Windy Road to Nowhere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Sun 8th May: 10 miles in 69:45 (6:58)

Spent the afternoon in Tayto Park with the kids. Beautiful weather. Out on the road at 6:45, still plenty of heat left, I really love running at this time of the year.
    Took it easy enough on the way down the hill, then upped the effort for a few miles. 3 miles at MP and under. The 6:14 was a tough effort with a fair bit of it being uphill, but felt good.
    7:02, 6:49, 6:31, 7:14, 6:20, 6:14, 7:19, 7:40, 7:20, 7:15.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Sun 8th May: 10 miles in 69:45 (6:58)

Spent the afternoon in Tayto Park with the kids. Beautiful weather. Out on the road at 6:45, still plenty of heat left, I really love running at this time of the year.
    Took it easy enough on the way down the hill, then upped the effort for a few miles. 3 miles at MP and under. The 6:14 was a tough effort with a fair bit of it being uphill, but felt good.
    7:02, 6:49, 6:31, 7:14, 6:20, 6:14, 7:19, 7:40, 7:20, 7:15.

Cant really see it in those splits - super run though!

Tues 10th May: 4 miles in 29:30

Progressive run on the treadmill. Started nice and handy, worked up to 15kmh for a half a mile or so.

Weds 11th May: 5 x 1/2 mile reps: 4.1 miles in 28:35 (6:59)

I made a bit of a haymes of this session a couple of weeks ago, and if anything, last night was even windier, so I wanted to get the splits a bit more even this time. First rep was easy downhill, as was the second. 3 and 4 undulating, and 5 an uphill nightmare. I dug in hard and kept the splits relatively even. Did 1/4 mile active recoveries. By the end of August, I should be able to do this session, but with 10 reps under 2:50. Obviously, this would be a hell of a lot easier on the track, but marathons aren't run on a track.

Splits: 2:44, 2:45, 2:55, 2:52, 2:58

Thursday 12 May: 7.6 miles in 55:35 (7:19)

Can't really remember this run, it was at half eight in the evening after marking a whole bunch of Irish tests, clearing the head.

Sunday 15th May: 10.1 miles in 1:12 (7:12)

I was absolutely wrecked heading out for this run after spending the day doing multiple jobs about the house and not having had anywhere near enough sleep this past few days. Was going very easy for the first few miles, then decided after perking up a bit that I'd chance a MP mile. One turned into 3 and ended up having a pretty good workout. Slowed down for a mile, then decided on a whim to run another fast mile.
    Faster miles were 6:27, 6:30, 6:19 and 6:14

Mon 16 May: 4.1 miles in 30:35 (7:28)
    Weds 18: 4.1 in 31:20 (7:40)

Two handy enough ones, enjoying the longer evenings

Thursday 19th: 5k DDAC graded meets race in 17:55 (5:36)

First fast short race in a very long time, and part of the plan to get a bit of speed back. Windy evening in Drogheda, and felt a little achy during my 7 minutes warmup!!

Race had about 20 runners and within 200m, I was aware I'd be running by myself for the whole thing. In hindsight I probably could have stuck it out with the little group in front of me, but didn't think a low 17 would be on the cards, so settled into my own pace. I was working fairly hard for the last 6-7 laps but managed to hold the pace pretty well. I think I finished in 4th or 5th. Mile splits according to the watch were 5:38, 5:34, 5:38, and 5:20 pace for the last bit. Considering the wind, running alone and the length of time since I did a fast race, I was happy enough with this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Good running , just shows you are pretty fit, the steady miles are working , youd probably run a decent ten k also off that

Sat 21 May: 4 miles in 31:xx
    Watch battery ran out of charge. Legs were very tired after a long day running about with the kids

Sun 22nd May: 11 miles in 1:18 (7:10)

Headed out on the road at 8:40pm, again after a long shift in the garden today, but body felt better than yesterday. Headed down by Sandpit, and over Walshestown direction before heading back for home. Threw in two MP miles near the end, 6:26 apiece. Light was just fading at 10pm when I got in.

Tuesday 24th May: 4 miles in 26 (6:30)

Did this run on the treadmill. Progressive tempo, starting at 14kmph, working through the gears to 17 at the end. Comfortably hard I suppose.

Weds 25 May: 4.1 miles in 30:30 (7:28)

A bit of a nothing sort of run.

Fri 26 May: 7.65 miles in 51 (6:40)

I was quite tired and a tad cranky heading out on this run after a slightly energy draining day or two at school. I hadn't planned on running fast at all, but after tearing through the first couple of miles, decided I'd stay on it and make a bit of a session out of it. Great evening for running.

Splits: 6:52, 6:22, 6:19, 6:20, 7:27, 6:14, 7:25, 6:08 (pace).

Sat 28th May: 3.1 miles in 24 (7:44)

Late in the evening run, just wanted to get out, was feeling the legs a bit after the harder run on Friday.

Sun 29th : 5 mile race in 30:55

I knew I wasn't particularly well prepared for this, and then a couple of hours work in the garden didn't help, but it was as much of a family day out as anything, so jumped in anyway.

Weather was really warm, up about 20 degrees. Stabannon is a lovely little village, a few little hills to be dealt with. I settled into 5th early before some well built looking guy passed me. Sort of figured I'd get him back later, which I did. Anyway, spent most of the race just trying to deal with the heat and chasing down people who I thought were going backwards. With 1.2 miles to go, I passed a club mate to go into 4th and briefly deluded myself into thinking I'd run down 3rd place. As it happened, I ran out of gas entirely with a half a mile to go, got repassed and finished slowly in 5th place.
    Splits: 5:55, 6:09, 5:59, 6:02, 6:42.

That's a fair couple of minutes slower than my best times over 5 miles but I'm not getting hung up on it. Really just looking to use a few races to get some speed back, there'll be much better days than today.

Had a brilliant day with the family, all the children ran in races, including the 17 month old!! Great fun had by all

• Advertisement

Mon 30th May: 13 miles in 1:30 (6:59)

No issues at all after racing on Sunday and working in the garden, so decided on a longer run Monday. Took it handy on the first mile, then moved on as I loosened up.

Did 10 miles at a range of sub 7 paces, the fastest being the last in 6:29. Felt like I was working fairly hard at times, but it's hilly country around grangebellew and Monasterboice, and it was still warm when I finished up at 10 pm.

I'm planning on upping the mileage over the next couple of weeks, speed is starting to come back, body feels ok, but high mileage has always been the difference between good and bad marathon cycles so now is the time.

Tuesday and Wednesday, 31 May and 1 June: 4 miles apiece on the treadmill, I think

Friday 3rd June: 7.5 miles at 7:45 pace

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were pretty action packed days at school, between taking my class to athletics track and then to Fun Galaxy on school tour (brilliant craic), then Sports day on Friday. My body felt pretty beaten up by the time I did these few miles on Friday. Had more energy by the time I finished.

Sat-Mon 4-6 June: cutting turf about 13-14 hours serious hard work over the three days that has every single part of your body working. For the turfy types here, I cut a 10 sod bank, about 50 yards long, with the shlan and fork. I'd estimate about 140 bags. Great weather for it down in Connemara, temp in the low 20s with a cooling breeze keeping the midges under control.

Mon 6June: 3 miles on treadmill in 21:30.

Managed to get the lawn finished at 10:45 before rain, thunder and lightning started. Jumped on treadmill to just have had some actual running over the weekend. I might manage a longish run after school tomorrow, hopefully the weather won't be too wild

Tuesday 7 June: 15 miles in 1:55 (7:40)

Got on the road about 3:40, very warm and humid weather, and I felt tired enough after the few days work in the bog, so took it nice and easy on this. Went through Sandpit, Walshestown, Grangebellew and Tenure. Nice quiet country roads. Was happy to get home as the heat was getting tricky.

Weds 8 June: am 4 miles in 30 minutes on the treadmill

Pm: 11 miles in 1:21 (7:26)

Evening time run again. Much easier and more comfortable in the heat than yesterday. Ran down the Hill of Rath, by Tullyallen and back to Monasterboice.
    Descending fog meant I didn't do any fence painting this evening. I'll have to tackle it again tomorrow

Thursday 9 June: 3 miles in 23 minutes

Early morning on treadmill

Friday 10 June: 7.55 miles in 56:20 (7:28)

Out at 7:20 for very enjoyable early morning pre-school run. Left myself slightly tight for time for getting to work, but getting towards the end of the year, so no hassle.

Sat 11 June: Hard core bouncing castle shenanigans for our daughters 7th birthday party. Between that and a virtually impossible game of 'stuck in the mud', I physically tore my legs to shreds, and strained a hamstring for good measure. Great fun!

Monday 13tg June: 10 miles in 1:14 (7:29)

Set off quite gingerly on this run, with a bit of discomfort still hanging about the legs. It was fairly foggy up our way but much clearer weather down the hill. Felt fine by the end

Tues 14 June: 4 miles in 30 minutes I think

Thursday 16: 7.55 miles in 52:20 (6:56)
    4 MP miles in the middle of this run

Friday 18th: 4.1 miles in 32:40 (7:58)

This was a real easy run in the morning before school. Was going handy for the first couple of miles, then slowed completely to 9:23 for the 3rd running along with a friend who lives down the road who happened to be heading on her run. Picked up the pace for the last half mile

Sat 18th: 5k race in 36:25

This was all about the rest of the family. Mrs TPP had trained for a while for this race on the runway of the airport in Donegal, so I was running with the three kids, the youngest being in the buggy.

After 3k, our eldest daughter who's 7, dropped myself and the young fella, who was struggling with his sprint/jog/walk strategy a bit. She went on to finish in 32 minutes, the young buck rallied to finish in 36, which is fair going for a 5 year old, who is way more of a speed runner. We'd all a great time, and it was lovely to be taking a back seat at a race.

Monday 20 June: 10 miles in 1:09 (6:58)

Two slow miles in the 7:40s bookended 8 miles in the range from 6:35-6:55. Felt pretty good

Thurs 23rd June: 7.6 miles in 56:50 (7:29)

Early morning run before school. Nice to have it done before heading off to work.

Fri 24th June: 4.1 miles in 31 (7:35)

Out early again. Couldn't drag myself out of the bed earlier than this, but happy enough.

Sun 26th June: 5 miles in 36:10 (7:13)

I was over in Sligo visiting my brother Saturday night. Thought I'd squeeze in a run Saturday evening, but didn't work out. Sunday morning, up bright and early for 5 wet, rainy miles on the Sligo-Leitrim border. Headed down to Connemara after that, did 5 hours work in the bog stacking turf. Briefly considered the notion of heading out for a few miles run on the mountain down there, but decided I'd be better served getting in the car and driving home.

Mon 27th June: 4.1 miles in 27:55 (6:48)

First day of the summer holidays proper today. Got up at normal time, and headed out for a half an hour. Mrs TPP still has school this week, so couldn't do longer. My body felt destroyed after the work in the bog yesterday, but the legs started turning over nicely after a bit, and decided to move on a bit, and get in a couple miles at PMP, 6:26 and 6:28 for the middle miles.

Thurs 23rd June: 7.6 miles in 56:50 (7:29)

Early morning run before school. Nice to have it done before heading off to work.

Fri 24th June: 4.1 miles in 31 (7:35)

Out early again. Couldn't drag myself out of the bed earlier than this, but happy enough.

Sun 26th June: 5 miles in 36:10 (7:13)

I was over in Sligo visiting my brother Saturday night. Thought I'd squeeze in a run Saturday evening, but didn't work out. Sunday morning, up bright and early for 5 wet, rainy miles on the Sligo-Leitrim border. Headed down to Connemara after that, did 5 hours work in the bog stacking turf. Briefly considered the notion of heading out for a few miles run on the mountain down there, but decided I'd be better served getting in the car and driving home.

Mon 27th June: 4.1 miles in 27:55 (6:48)

First day of the summer holidays proper today. Got up at normal time, and headed out for a half an hour. Mrs TPP still has school this week, so couldn't do longer. My body felt destroyed after the work in the bog yesterday, but the legs started turning over nicely after a bit, and decided to move on a bit, and get in a couple miles at PMP, 6:26 and 6:28 for the middle miles.

Tuesday 28 June: 7.6 miles in 55:30 (7:18)

Early morning tired effort

Thursday 30th: 4.3 miles in 37:40 (7:23)

Sat 2nd July: 11.6 miles in 1:20 (6:57)

Run home from Slane, through Collon in the afternoon. Got really lucky with the weather, although it was still a bit windy in places. Ran 4 miles at PMP during this.

Mon 4th July: 7 miles in 47 minutes

One mile warmup and 5 PMP and a mile cool down. On the treadmill. Warm and humid indoors.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 6th July: 9.6 miles in 1:05 (6:52)

Windy enough evening for running, and unfortunately the road I choose for this run over the Hill of Rath had a lot of loose chipping for about 2 miles. However, decided to work away and do a few miles at PMP. 4 faster miles went well, but the hardest work was in the 8th mile, 6:55 hard up the hill past the Popes Cross. Delighted with that effort

Friday 8 July: 4.1 miles in 29:40 (7:15)

Another long day in Tayto Park , just squeezed this run in in the evening before darkness and heavy rain fell.

Saturday 9 July: 21 miles in 2:38 (7:34)

First proper long run in a while. I was down in Kilkenny at the Leinster Fleadh for the weekend, and not knowing any long safe routes there just opted for an out and back on the old Waterford road.

There was quite a stiff southerly breeze the whole way to Ballyhale, which was hard work in places. I was glad to turn back and have the wind on my back. However, after about 16 miles, I was getting fairly tired. Weather was hot and heavy, close to 20 degrees, and I'd no water with me.

First long run always a bit of an eye opener, it can only get better.

Sunday 10 July: 5 miles in 38:50 (7:46)

Tired and sore recovery effort

Tuesday 12 July: 4.25 in 31 (7:19)

We spent the day in Carlingford on Tuesday. There's a Greenway between there and Omeath. This called for cycling/skootering and a bit of running from the older two along with me running. Did a mile fastish by myself at the end. Lovely day

Wednesday 13th: 6.25 miles in 46:10 (7:24)

Left one of the cars in for a service, and ran home.

Friday 15th: 12 miles in 83 minutes

Progressive tempo run on the treadmill. Started at 12kmh, increasing every 400m by 0.1kmh, up to 16.0, then 2 mile cool down. Good workout

OK, where was I?!

Before I start logging again, here's a summary of what has gone on in life and running in the past year.

We discovered we were expecting our fourth child last July. With lingering trauma from last years failed Connemara Ultra, along with a couple of slight injury issues, this led me to deciding to take pretty much a full scale hiatus from running. Between July and the Warsaw marathon in October, I possibly ran 30 miles in total, and maybe even less than that between the marathon and March, I can't remember. I did the marathon in 3:30, more of a sightseeing jog than anything.

We welcomed a baby boy in March, and in April, I did a little bit of running. Minor surgery at the end of April meant no running in May. Got things going slightly again through June, to the point where I was getting my long run up to 10 miles. Then, I'd the misfortune to pick up some flu that hung around for 3 weeks. Again, no running.

I've been very lucky in respect to health and injuries for 12 years, so I'm quite accepting of where I am. However, I've piled on a bit of weight, and have a strong desire to start putting some time into running again.

Regarding goals, in the short term, I just plan on running maybe 5 days a week slowly. In the medium term, I'm determined to not let 2017 pass without running a marathon. In the long term, I suspect my marathon PB is out of reach for at least 2-3 years, if not completely. However, I would absolutely love to aim towards sub3 again, maybe in autumn 18 or spring 2019, life and health permitting.

So, today is ground zero, logging served me well a couple of years ago, before I got bored of boards.

Saturday 12th August: 6 miles in 50 minutes

After a few fantastic days at the world championships, I decided time was nigh to get back on the roads. A slow effort but the important thing is to run consistently for a few weeks. Pace and distance will come back I hope.

Welcome back!!

Welcome back!!

Cheers Auldman. I'd a wee look at your log there yesterday, you're in fantastic shape. I assume you got the sub3 monkey off your back at some stage over the past couple of years? Best of luck with the races to come.

Sunday 13th August: 8 miles in 1:06 (8:20 avg pace)

Headed down one of my favourite loops crossing the Belfast railway line with views of the sea. Legs were tired after this. Spent an hour and a bit working in the garden after, shock therapy after weeks of doing nothing.

Monday 14th August:4.1 miles in 34:30 (8:27 pace)

Very slow run around the block when I got a break between rain showers. Three consecutive days running. It's a start.

Cheers Auldman. I'd a wee look at your log there yesterday, you're in fantastic shape. I assume you got the sub3 monkey off your back at some stage over the past couple of years? Best of luck with the races to come.

I did in San Sebastian last November!!

Good to see you back - no doubt you'll be back in fantastic shape really soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Welcome back and best of luck getting back into shape. Tbh, I think you'll be surprised how quickly you will start to get moving again even if it feels like you are well off it now. All the best chief!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

One of the old gang is back!

Had this marked as thread I was following from back in the Chicago marathon days. Now suddenly a dormant thread has been reinvigorated.

Best of luck with the comeback. Will be following with interest.

Advertisement