Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Pier 2 will not happen until it is a legal requirement or the daa use profits to fund. No passenger charges can and the same applied landside T1.

Well they obviously think that it's about to be required as they've lodged a planning application for it.

As far as I know they've started work on landside arrivals, I'm just not sure to what extent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

lord lucan wrote: »
    Vista's of landing aircraft and sunshine are a little fanciful I think.

Anything's better than that glum little restaurant they currently have. Can imagine they'll rake in a fortune in people paying 5-10 euro for entry to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

MJohnston wrote: »
    Anything's better than that glum little restaurant they currently have. Can imagine they'll rake in a fortune in people paying 5-10 euro for entry to this.

5-10€? I'd imagine more like 25-30.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Avada wrote: »
    UK arrivals will be doing passport control for the forseable imo. I can't go into detail, but it won't happen.

Fair enough that you can't go into detail, but I have a bugbear about this. Its crazy that they won't even think about accomodating it, especially when most all of the Ireland - UK flights don't have to do passport control.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

The DAA are spending €15m modernising T1. Could do with it in my opinion

http://m.independent.ie/business/dublin-airport-to-splash-out-15m-to-modernise-terminal-1-34517558.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Fair enough that you can't go into detail, but I have a bugbear about this. Its crazy that they won't even think about accomodating it, especially when most all of the Ireland - UK flights don't have to do passport control.

True but it has always been the case in Dublin that everyone has to go through passport control. In the UK they are far better organised and seem to be able to accommodate Irish/Domestic arrivals so that they never go through immigration control. But in fairness as a regular Dublin airport user I still have never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes at passport control. Particularly since the 'civilianisation' of the job.

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    The DAA are spending €15m modernising T1. Could do with it in my opinion

http://m.independent.ie/business/dublin-airport-to-splash-out-15m-to-modernise-terminal-1-34517558.html

Unfortunately it's pretty much spent already! Could do with a bit more imo! The new shopping area is excellent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Noxegon

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    True but it has always been the case in Dublin that everyone has to go through passport control. In the UK they are far better organised and seem to be able to accommodate Irish/Domestic arrivals so that they never go through immigration control. But in fairness as a regular Dublin airport user I still have never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes at passport control. Particularly since the 'civilianisation' of the job.

You've evidently landed at the old US transatlantic arrival area (the 'B' pier). I've waited 45 minutes there.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    You've evidently landed at the old US transatlantic arrival area (the 'B' pier). I've waited 45 minutes there.

Presume you mean 'never'. I use B quite a bit, as I'm a regular BA user and still rarely have a problem there.

There's only 1 hour during the day that can happen, and it's rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I've had it happen maybe three times in the last two years. All have been late evening. Quickest I got through was half an hour.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

I've had it happen maybe three times in the last two years. All have been late evening. Quickest I got through was half an hour.

That doesn't happen anymore in Pier B. There's only 1 flight there after 9 these days, Lufthansa from Frankfurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

The T1 Departures road will be closed from 8PM to 4AM tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I've only had to wait whenever the second to last Turkish arrives.

All other evening arrivals to Pier B have been a breeze down through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

donvito99 wrote: »
    I've only had to wait whenever the second to last Turkish arrives.

All other evening arrivals to Pier B have been a breeze down through the years.
    With the relatively small number of stands on Pier B, and some being directed to T2 arrivals it makes for easy processing through immigration - as another poster said above, for me it's a good reason to use BA if flying from London.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gezdub

A lot of hoardings are up in T1 Arrivals area, seems to be quite a lot of activity going on, part of the 15m refurbishment? Anyone any idea what the finished product will look like? Artist impression?
    Also is it true that security screening is moving upstairs to the mezzanine, displacing the food court and bar that operate there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Also is it true that security screening is moving upstairs to the mezzanine, displacing the food court and bar that operate there?

Yes but a few years off, Check In will be single wall like T2 also. Lots of places for the food court to move to.

As for the 15m, nothing to do with arrivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

Quote:

1 Its not passport control you dont need a passport to get through.
    2. It has not always been the case that everyone has to go through passport control; this is a relatively recent make-wor decision by what is now INIS.
    3. DAA are avoiding their CTA responsibilities to segregate inbound CTA and domestic traffic from other EU and non-EU. Every major airport in the UK somehow manages it - LHR, MAN , EDI and so on

And why can't Avada go into detail ? These matters are public.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

trellheim wrote: »
    1 Its not passport control you dont need a passport to get through.
    2. It has not always been the case that everyone has to go through passport control; this is a relatively recent make-wor decision by what is now INIS.
    3. DAA are avoiding their CTA responsibilities to segregate inbound CTA and domestic traffic from other EU and non-EU. Every major airport in the UK somehow manages it - LHR, MAN , EDI and so on

And why can't Avada go into detail ? These matters are public.

This was discussed at length before (in which you were quite vociferous if I recall) and if I recall correctly it was explained at the time that it was the view of the immigration authorities (as opposed to the DAA) that the status quo be maintained, i.e. that all inbound air passengers into this State pass through an immigration check.

The DAA can't make that decision - it's down to INIS.

However daft that procedure might seem to people, it was clear at the time that there was no appetite amongst that organisation to change that.

I'm not really sure what the point is in resurrecting that debate on his thread to be honest. It's not an infrastructure issue primarily - it's a policy decision by INIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

if I recall it was explained at the time that it was the view of the immigration authorities (as opposed to the DAA) that the status quo be maintained, i.e. that all inbound air passengers into this State pass through an immigration check.

A few posters came on here without offering proof , links or otherwise just rambled on about IIRC "some dodgy characters coming through"

A poster up the thread misstated some facts was my point. I didn't resurrect it.

Also : INIS or otherwise DAA should still segregate CTA traffic - how INIS inspects them against the spirit of the CTA is up to them.

And yes - I was vociferous - I see it as a one-sided make-work decision that if we do not fight , will be lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

trellheim wrote: »
    And yes - I was vociferous - I see it as a one-sided make-work decision that if we do not fight , will be lost.

Agreed. We have the CTA between the UK and Ireland, it should be used to its fullest extent just as it is when you go to the UK from Ireland. A huge proportion of the passengers arriving in Dublin are flying in from the Uk and it would mean that more time could be spent vetting the non-EU travellers.

I can't conceive why they won't entertain this, and any reason I hear is wishy-washy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

gezdub wrote: »

Its remote security screening moving up so won't affect the passengers just means the guy watching the monitor won't be sitting beside the scanner anymore. Its just a bit of office space really that was part of an old bar. Its already built and will be up and running soon enough. Wont affect the things already on the mezz level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gezdub

Thanks Salmocab, yeah heard that bit is being used for remote screening, but there are plans to move the entire security/screening process upstairs, which would mean huge reorganisation of T1, and maybe extending the mezzanine as well.. Just wondered how people feel about this, and in general about how T1 landside could or should be improved? Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

These new boarding gates being buit in Pier D are supposedly going to be like the old TFL, blugh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

What's the old TFL?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

embraer170 wrote: »
    What's the old TFL?

Temporary Forward Lounge/Temporary Boarding Gates, it was the old shed type prefabricated things that the airport had whilst Pier D was under construction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

billie1b wrote: »
    Temporary Forward Lounge/Temporary Boarding Gates, it was the old shed type prefabricated things that the airport had whilst Pier D was under construction

The shed reminding me of secondary school that Ryanair used fly to?

I'm tipping around Europe a lot lately with work, and the separation between Schengen and external is handled well over here (albeit the food is usually better in the Schengen gates than ye passported gates)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

billie1b wrote: »

That's disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

gezdub wrote: »
    Thanks Salmocab, yeah heard that bit is being used for remote screening, but there are plans to move the entire security/screening process upstairs, which would mean huge reorganisation of T1, and maybe extending the mezzanine as well.. Just wondered how people feel about this, and in general about how T1 landside could or should be improved? Opinions?

Well there is quite a bit of empty space airside at the mezz level but not sure it would be enough, that said there are barely enough facilities landslide with Mc Donalds and the restaurant up on the mezz and the handful of shops on the arrival level, so any loss would be a right pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dublin airport is such a cluster **** when it comes to long term planning. Been working there in some capacity there on and off for the guts of 20 years and there has never been any point where a certain part of it hasn't represented a building site at some point... Pier C is a prime example which lasted how long exactly ? If you had a suspicious mind you might begin to wonder if certain people high up within the DAA might have friends, family or certain interests in the construction business as people cannot be seriously that bad over a long period of time at planning ? What they have spent in total would probably make your eyes water and a lot of it from what I see would be just knocking down or changing things from stands to infrastructure that were only recently built. You just don't see that happening at other airports certainly at the scale it happens at DUB.

Advertisement