Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Last year coming from Portugal I landed first time from the west to the east and I saw a castle very close to the runaway. Looked on the maps and it is inside a farm strange because they could do it tourist attraction for who have to stay at airport for some hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Das Reich wrote: »
    Last year coming from Portugal I landed first time from the west to the east and I saw a castle very close to the runaway. Looked on the maps and it is inside a farm strange because they could do it tourist attraction for who have to stay at airport for some hours.

This is it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunsoghly_Castle

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Astral Nav

Tenger wrote: »
    Yet history has shown the the best time to invest/commence in future capital projects is during a recession when credit and labour are cheaper and/or easier to obtain.

I still remember people saying that DUB's T2 would be a white elephant from the day it opened. In fact it rapidly ran out of gate capacity. Although it's deathly quiet now the serious congestion and pinch point issues are still there. South gates (try socially distancing down there), B1/F1 wing tip clearance, single holding point for Rwy 10 and the general congestion of the T1/2 ramp area. A proactive airport authority might use the lull to future proof but it's the DAA we are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Anyone know if runway construction resumed today?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Anyone know if runway construction resumed today?

Hadn't stopped other than for about 3 days at the very beginning of the lockdown. Was considered critical infastructure.

• Advertisement

NH2013 wrote: »
    Hadn't stopped other than for about 3 days at the very beginning of the lockdown. Was considered critical infastructure.

Really? Never knew that!

Good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

All big ticket works resumed in full today. As above some never really stopped.

North runway
    North apron
    16/34 overlay
    HBS
    AVDGS
    Pier 2 underpass

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

sparrowcar wrote: »
    All big ticket works resumed in full today. As above some never really stopped.

North runway
    North apron
    16/34 overlay
    HBS
    AVDGS
    Pier 2 underpass

Pier 1 Immigration hall also went back into full swing (back on site a few weeks ago). Appears to be nearly done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Definitely. Glad there is a sense of realism on this forum. There is NO NEED for extra facilities at Dublin.

You are deluded if you think air travel won’t eventually recover fully. It’s a huge part of the global economy. It’s a huge business along with tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Even at 50% of 2019 demand Dublin still needs the investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

We're an island nation hundreds of KM away from Europe. Which means short of us building a massive bridge to France investment to improve Dublin airport will always be worthwhile, regardless of the current low level of traffic. Its the only major international transportation option for our country, and will remain so for at least the next 50 years. Demand is always going to recover, because it has nowhere else to go - we cant just hop on a train, or a quick 60minute ferry, to go to the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Up to 1,000 jobs cuts and capital spend under review and will end staff terminal split.

Projecting 21 million in 2021...

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0519/1139341-daa-seeking-1-000-redundancies/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Up to 1,000 jobs cuts and capital spend under review and will end staff terminal split.

Projecting 21 million in 2021...

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0519/1139341-daa-seeking-1-000-redundancies/

Also from that article...
    The Daa is also reviewing its capital programme for new infrastructure.

"Essential capital projects such as North Runway, Hold Baggage Screening, and other core maintenance projects will proceed, but all other capital projects will be reviewed.

"The appropriate timing of future capital projects will also be considered in the context of the very uncertain passenger demand position in the coming years," he told staff in the memo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

North runway
    North apron
    16/34 overlay
    HBS
    AVDGS
    Pier 2 underpass

What is HBS and AVDGS please

trellheim wrote: »
    What is HBS and AVDGS please

Hold Baggage Screening

Advanced Visual Docking Guidance System

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You are deluded if you think air travel won’t eventually recover fully. It’s a huge part of the global economy. It’s a huge business along with tourism.

Watch this space. The greens (currently in govt formation talks with FF and Fg) have plans for aviation and I fully support them.

Watch this space. The greens (currently in govt formation talks with FF and Fg) have plans for aviation and I fully support them.

Having plans and dreaming are 2 completely different things. If the greens get in they’ll only be tea boys to FF/Fg.

Their plans are designed to hamstring the economy to mitigate the effects of climate change and, in doing so, they don't stand a chance.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Their plans are designed to hamstring the economy to mitigate the effects of climate change and, in doing so, they don't stand a chance.

The treehuggers true colours came out during the covid crisis. I have seen them on other social media with comments like “ well done covid 19” when planes were grounded. Maybe they should say “well done covid” to the 300k familes around the world. They have no empathy for anyone. They’d rather see people burn so their grass would grow greener in their materialistic world.

The green party are no different. They don’t give a toss about rural people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

And fortunately, while there may be some short term optical changes as a result of a minority green myopia, there is also the very necessary recognition of the reality of Ireland being an island nation on the extremity of the continent, with no easy access to the rest of the EU by any alternative methods, and there is no telling how the eventual withdrawal of the UK from the EU will affect access to the existing (tortuous) routes to Europe. In the very long term, alternatives may be found, but I would venture to suggest that it will be several generations before there is a significant change in the importance of air travel for some journeys, so making the airport as efficient as possible will need to remain a priority, the present road and airfield structures are very much not energy friendly, and some of the DAA and government decisions about the access to and usage of the core space are not helping that objective.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Heaven forbid me asking, but what are the greens plans? I dread finding out.

Respect your opinion BWP, but for me the last thing this country needs is the greens in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

And fortunately, while there may be some short term optical changes as a result of a minority green myopia, there is also the very necessary recognition of the reality of Ireland being an island nation on the extremity of the continent, with no easy access to the rest of the EU by any alternative methods, and there is no telling how the eventual withdrawal of the UK from the EU will affect access to the existing (tortuous) routes to Europe. In the very long term, alternatives may be found, but I would venture to suggest that it will be several generations before there is a significant change in the importance of air travel for some journeys, so making the airport as efficient as possible will need to remain a priority, the present road and airfield structures are very much not energy friendly, and some of the DAA and government decisions about the access to and usage of the core space are not helping that objective.

Couldn't agree more. Well said IS!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,273 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They have 12 TDs. Dream on. Anyway it looks like they will try to kick Ryan out and/or split over going into government.

Imagine your party trying to kick you out because you were going to enter government and get some of your policies implemented. They'd rather be virginal and pure on the opposition benches, getting none of their policies implemented. Logical it ain't.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    No longer required T2 added the capacity plus rise of online check in, self service and hand baggage only travel has reduced check in desk demand. Area 14 was never planned for a check in area.

Correct... it was only a temperory set up at any stage.

So as far as I understand all anyone has to do to evade the UK quarantine is fly in to Dublin, spend a few hours at the airport before moving on the UK.

Bizarre anomaly to leave open. Don't think DUB will complain though.

And because the UK have announced it days in advance I imagine people are making their plans already.

So as far as I understand all anyone has to do to evade the UK quarantine is fly in to Dublin, spend a few hours at the airport before moving on the UK.

And because the UK have announced it days in advance I imagine people are making their plans already.

Thank you for pointing this out. Should be a total ban on all flights into dublin

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Having plans and dreaming are 2 completely different things. If the greens get in they’ll only be tea boys to FF/Fg.

Watch this space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

This thought also occurred to me. It seems a rather large loophole.

But then again the whole thing is nonsense - the time for border controls was in March, when the disease was initially spreading. Only introducing them now in June, when every other European country is in the process of removing theirs, is pure security theatre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thank you for pointing this out. Should be a total ban on all flights into dublin

You are just trolling now. Do not post in this thread again, or attempt similar anywhere else on the forum

Advertisement