Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Amazed at some of the posts suggesting suspending construction of the new runway.

If the new Government has any sense, and in fairness the personnel, they should borrow up the arse at basically zero and complete the runway, the Metro, the DART expansion, the Dublin Port expansion, the maternity hospital and whatever other major public projects are on the slate, and go around the world to entice the engineers and contractors to build them for a song. We're in a time of War, this is how you contrive a war economy and bring the Country roaring out of the doldrums that this temporary situation will inflict on society and the economy.

Larbre34 for Taoiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭davebuck

Is work still ongoing on the North runway and the rest of the airfield projects at Dublin airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

davebuck wrote: »
    Is work still ongoing on the North runway and the rest of the airfield projects at Dublin airport?

No, yuo can't go to work unless it's an essential service.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

I noticed the other day they were laying tarmac on 16/34 I'm guessing they are using the time now?

• Advertisement

16/34 was closed on Monday over a month early to facilitate the linking of the two sections of the new runway. Clever idea by the daa to get this work started now in the lull so it has the least impact on normal operations whenever they resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭markpb

16/34 was closed on Monday over a month early to facilitate the linking of the two sections of the new runway. Clever idea by the daa to get this work started now in the lull so it has the least impact on normal operations whenever they resume.

How did they do that? Were they able to claim to the work is essential so the builders could go back to work?

Great idea however they managed it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

markpb wrote: »
    How did they do that? Were they able to claim to the work is essential so the builders could go back to work?

I'm very interested in this too, however last time I brought it up my comment was removed as I was apparently "trolling" by asking it.

I wouldn't have thought it was essential, however is it considered a vital infastructural project?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Blut2

Essential construction work started up on Monday of last week already. So I'd imagine they got it classified as that?

Which is fair enough really - it doesn't really get much more essential than runway work at an island country's main airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

markpb wrote: »

Quit a few constructions sites have been open for more than a week after limiting people on site and putting other measures in place.

Social distancing should't be a significant problem for this type of work.
    I'm very interested in this too, however last time I brought it up my comment was removed as I was apparently "trolling" by asking it.

I wouldn't have thought it was essential, however is it considered a vital infastructural project?

Its considered essential or they would not have got permission.

• Advertisement

On such a site I can't imagine social distancing would be an issue, however with air travel indefinitely flattened, it is something that could have been done at a later date without much hassle imo.

At least this way they'll keep (somewhat) on track and lessen the potential disruption of having RWY16/34 closed.

JCX BXC wrote: »

I’m going to be honest and blunt with my reply and say, I honestly don’t care.

It’s a great idea end of story for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

JCX BXC wrote: »
    On such a site I can't imagine social distancing would be an issue, however with air travel indefinitely flattened, it is something that could have been done at a later date without much hassle imo.

At least this way they'll keep (somewhat) on track and lessen the potential disruption of having RWY16/34 closed.

Not necessarily directed at you but if they did nothing for a few months the same people would be on complaining in 2021 when it runs overtime saying "why wasn't this work done during the lockdown Joe".

Its essential, they are working, it'll be finished early. It's a huge win all round for Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's 100% not essential, but it is efficient, smart, and likely very simple to keep safe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's 100% not essential, but it is efficient, smart, and likely very simple to keep safe.

If the government say it's on the list then it's essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

If the government say it's on the list then it's essential.

Doesn't matter what the government say, it's definitely not essential. What is it essential to?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

MJohnston wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what the government say, it's definitely not essential. What is it essential to?

Actually the government are the arbitrators of what is and isn't essential, so what they say does indeed matter.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's definitely not essential to anything in the immediate future but they've clearly convinced someone that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,426 ✭✭✭✭cson

Now is the time to be investing in long term infrastructure projects and improvements whilst disruption can be minimized.

A few posts on this page of the thread have rather distinct echoes of the "TERMINAL 2 is an expensive white elephant that is a total waste of money!!" argument that was made at the start of the last recession.

Recessionary times are by far the best time to engage in large infrastructural investments. And runway works at the main/only large airport, on an island nation, are pretty much the definition of essential work. There are few other construction projects in the nation that have as much potential practical/economic impact on the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Blut2 wrote: »
    A few posts on this page of the thread have rather distinct echoes of the "TERMINAL 2 is an expensive white elephant that is a total waste of money!!" argument that was made at the start of the last recession.

Recessionary times are by far the best time to engage in large infrastructural investments. And runway works at the main/only large airport, on an island nation, are pretty much the definition of essential work. There are few other construction projects in the nation that have as much potential practical/economic impact on the country.

Only one I can think of is Intel in Leixlip - and that project will certainly generate much ( needed, I'm sure ) footfall through Dublin Airport.

Why so defensive?

You're confusing things here. Nobody said anything about recessions. We're currently in a period of restricted movement where non-essential businesses are closed and non-essential work is cancelled for public health reasons because of a pandemic. That's what 'essential' is in relation to. Work essential for the current pandemic period. That's the priority.

Nobody has shut down non-essential work for the duration of the upcoming recession and nobody argued against restarting construction once the public health measures are reduced.

Doctors and nurses are essential for medical care.
    Gardaí are essential for public order and crime prevention.
    Supermarket and other workers are essential to ensure the supply chain is maintained.
    Public transport workers are essential to facilitate essential journeys.
    Airport staff are essential to the delivery of essential cargo.

What exactly are the new runway construction team doing this week that is essential for this week?

We can live with a 6 week delay to a 5 year project because of a pandemic. Trust me. All the talk of recessions, 2008, 2011, Terminal 2 etc. is irrelevant to that.

I'm not for a minute suggesting this should not be done, I'm not calling it a white elephant and I think it's important to complete even if passenger numbers fall.

Was just querying the nature of this being an essential project, it's good that it's going ahead however I think the question can be asked!

Whats remotely defensive about my post? Its simply stating facts.

Construction work resumed all over the island a full week ago on things like social housing[1]. The point of most posters in this thread is if its safe enough for housing construction to begin, then its safe enough for construction on the runway to resume. Because its a far, far more essential project for the country than almost any other.

[1]https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0420/1132723-construction-resumes-on-social-housing-projects/

Whats remotely defensive about my post? Its simply stating facts.

Construction work resumed all over the island a full week ago on things like social housing[1]. The point of most posters in this thread is if its safe enough for housing construction to begin, then its safe enough for construction on the runway to resume. Because its a far, far more essential project for the country than almost any other.

[1]https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0420/1132723-construction-resumes-on-social-housing-projects/
    I'm afraid comparing questioning the essential nature of construction on a five year runway project during a pandemic to 'TERMINAL 2 is an expensive white elephant that is a total waste of money!!' doesn't come close to 'stating facts'.

And the bit about housing makes it sound like all of construction has restarted when this is the current situation:
    The Government last month ordered construction work to halt on any sites not delivering repairs and infrastructure critical to virus-fighting efforts. The Housing Agency this week said limited work on a few nearly finished social housing units could resume, but scores of other sites remain shuttered.

From your link:
    Construction is resuming on 35 social housing projects to ensure local authorities can deliver accommodation for people currently in emergency accommodation or at risk of homelessness during the current pandemic, the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government confirmed

You need to reassess your priorities if you think runway construction comes even close to the importance of finishing off houses to reduce homelessness and facilitate more physical distancing.

I'm out. This conversation is going nowhere. You seem more interested in avoiding a six week delay on a runway than public health.

Questioning the utility of construction on Dublin airport's runway when traffic is currently low, as some posters were doing, is exactly the same line of reasoning as the argument that was used of Terminal 2 being a white elephant in the last recession because traffic was down then. I'm afraid thats also a statement of fact - you may need to go back and familiarize yourself with the arguments made at the time, if you're unaware of them.

Runway construction at Dublin airport has a much, much bigger impact on the connectivity and finances of the Irish state than a construction site building a single social housing unit. Thats why it has been defined as essential by the government, and why most posters on this forum would agree. A single social housing unit houses one family, or a small number of families. The sooner a fully operational second runway at Dublin airport is in place the sooner it improves the states finances enough to build tens or even hundreds of social housing units in the medium/long term. Its macro societal benefit vs micro.

Not to mention the positive environmental impact of having far less congestion at takeoff and landing, and avoiding the large quantity of wasted fuel that result from that at present.

In regards to it being a public health risk:
    Public health officials consider the return of construction activity as being low-risk given that builders typically work outdoors and can maintain social distancing.

“There is no evidence that construction so far has been a high-risk activity. There are no clusters on sites"

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/lifting-the-lockdown-what-are-the-plans-1.4236891

So, to sum up - the government, and public health experts, consider work on the runway both essential, and low risk to the public health. I would imagine they may know better than you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

OK Guys, I think we've about done the arguments about essential or not to death. Move on please

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Here is a satellite image as the work progressed, looks like last summer.

https://zoom.earth/#view=53.436229,-6.266417,14z/layers=labels

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

Looks from that picture like the works on the North/south runway underpass is well underway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Here is a satellite image as the work progressed, looks like last summer.

https://zoom.earth/#view=53.436229,-6.266417,14z/layers=labels

Yes, work is much more advance than that map is showing. I say the map is at least 12 months out of date.

Advertisement