Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Blacks Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

CatFromHue wrote: »
    How's Nonu playing recently?

Playing well, set up a try with a great cutout pass against the Tahs.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    It's AB bolters time!

Kiwi rugby fans love a good bolter! Not too long now until the Blackness is named to face our very good friends™ the Poms. So I've picked a possible bolter from each franchise

Blues
    NZ has 2 world class locks in Whitelock & Retallick, and international options in Romano, Bird & Thrush. The latter 2 have not convinced too much to date. So I've gone with Patrick Tuipulotu, who had another great game for the Blues today at lock.

Chiefs
    Whether NZ needs yet another wing who can cover FB or vice versa I'm not sure. 14/15 will be well covered by Smith, Dagg & Piutau +/- Jane, but Tom Marshall has always impressed. TNW is another possibility, but I shudder to think of him in midfield defending against Tualagi.

Hurricanes
    I'd go with Jack Lam or Alapati Leiua especially...but these 2 are both aligned with Samoa. Kind of leaves me Andre Taylor...don't think so.

Crusaders
    Can't see any bolters here, so I'll go with Colin Slade to usurp Tom Taylor and take the third 10 spot behind Cruden & Barrett.

Highlanders
    Easiest to last. Malechai Fekitoa has looked sharp all season in a position NZ has limited depth. I've been more & more impressed with Ryan Crotty as a dual 12/13, but Fekitoa looks good. Nonu & Smith are nailed on, and I think Crotty will make the cut, but with Saili injured/average, and Aki now Connacht bound, Fekitoa has a royal chance.

Tuipulotu and Fekitoa are my picks, not really convinced by the others. Reckon we'll see a hooker e.g. Coltman or Marshall and prop e.g. Hames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

hahashake wrote: »
    Tuipulotu and Fekitoa are my picks, not really convinced by the others. Reckon we'll see a hooker e.g. Coltman or Marshall and prop e.g. Hames.

Yeah, but I dont think a hooker is a bolter. It will be Coles, Mealamu (if uninjured) and then 1 or both of Coltman & Marshall. Both these 2 need to improve their lineout throwing, but otherwise look good.

Will be interested to see if the Chiefs fattie makes the cut, he has potential, and is good for 60 minutes, which is all props need these days. I'd like to see Ben Franks get a better chance this season.

Yeah, but I dont think a hooker is a bolter. It will be Coles, Mealamu (if uninjured) and then 1 or both of Coltman & Marshall. Both these 2 need to improve their lineout throwing, but otherwise look good.

Will be interested to see if the Chiefs fattie makes the cut, he has potential, and is good for 60 minutes, which is all props need these days. I'd like to see Ben Franks get a better chance this season.

Fair enough although there has been talk of Corey Flynn being in frame for selection. He's not setting the world on fire but he's experienced.

Tameifuna will never be an AB IMO, his fitness is too much of a risk. Great player but not AB quality.

Fair enough although there has been talk of Corey Flynn being in frame for selection. He's not setting the world on fire but he's experienced.

Tameifuna will never be an AB IMO, his fitness is too much of a risk. Great player but not AB quality.

In any case I hope we see Savea 11, Piutua 14, Smith 15 this season.

I doubt they choose Flynn, his ship has sailed.

• Advertisement

In any case I hope we see Savea 11, Piutua 14, Smith 15 this season.

I doubt they choose Flynn, his ship has sailed.

First part I agree with although Dagg's boot may keep his spot. Sad but true.

I would've thought Flynn was nowhere near selection but Grant Fox name-dropped him in a radio interview.

First part I agree with although Dagg's boot may keep his spot. Sad but true.

I would've thought Flynn was nowhere near selection but Grant Fox name-dropped him in a radio interview.

Yeah I listened to that utterly inane interview. What's the point? He gave nothing away.

NZ Under-20 squad:

Forwards: Lachlan Boshier (Taranaki), Timothy Cadwallader (Manawatu), Troy Callander (Bay of Plenty), Geoffrey Cridge (Hawke's Bay), Joshua Dickson (Otago), Epalahame Faiva (Waikato), Kyle Harris (Otago), Mitchell Jacobson (Waikato), Tau Koloamatangi (Waikato), Scott Mellow (Taranaki), Atunaisa Moli (Waikato), James O'Reilly (Wellington), Matthew Peni (Wellington), Tom Sanders (Canterbury), James Tucker (Waikato).

Backs: Mitchell Drummond (Canterbury), Kaveinga Finau (Canterbury), Leon Fukofuka (Auckland), Tinoai Faiane (Auckland), Jackson Garden-Bachop (Wellington), Simon Hickey (Auckland, captain), Tevita Li (North Harbour), Anton Lienert-Brown (Waikato), Damian McKenzie (Waikato), Richard Mo'unga (Canterbury), Joshua Renton (Otago), Vincent Tavae-Aso (Auckland)
    Tauasosi Tuimavave (Wellington).

I won't even remotely claim to know anything about these players, you guys put me to shame with your knowledge of the Irish U20 team. I have seen Hickey & Li play for the Blues, and I know Lienert-Brown is with the Chiefs, but that's it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I wonder what type of player Boshier is?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I wonder what type of player Boshier is?

German? A Bosch merchant...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Nah it's French.

Pronounced like Mrs Bucket

:P

Owen Franks has signed on until 2017. It seems as if the attraction of playing the B&I Lions is working a treat at retaining players. From the 2003 tour, only Woodcock/Mealamu/McCaw/Carter/Nonu and C.Smith remain - I expect none of these will feature in 2017, but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Owen Franks has signed on until 2017. It seems as if the attraction of playing the B&I Lions is working a treat at retaining players. From the 2003 tour, only Woodcock/Mealamu/McCaw/Carter/Nonu and C.Smith remain - I expect none of these will feature in 2017, but we'll see.

It would either be extraordinary longevity on the part of one of these mentioned or a dearth of quality if so.

Does NZ actually have a nominated 2nd team? Maybe not - with thanks to the NZRFU for replying to my enquiry, and also for a shout-out to Ireland.

Hi,

Thanks for the email. We don’t really have a second team per se. The Under 20s are competing at the Junior World Championship this year which is considered the second biggest fifteens event in the world after Rugby World Cup, the Maori All Blacks compete on a regular basis and obviously we have the world champion Black Ferns. And of course the two Sevens teams.

A number of this years Under 20 have broken into the Super Rugby sides, and with England the current holders, and teams like Ireland competing really well at that level, it makes for a great tournament – just not sure if we’d call them our second team though.

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Interesting that one:

http://www.nzru.co.nz/what_we_do/national_teams
    The Junior All Blacks is New Zealand’s second national side after the All Blacks. Introduced in 2005, the Junior All Blacks team plays a crucial role in the growth and development of New Zealand’s international-quality player pool. The Junior All Blacks provide an opportunity for professional players in the prime of their careers to claim a black jersey and maintain their playing condition. The team last assembled in 2009 and claimed the IRB Pacific Nations Cup.

An earlier New Zealand Juniors team was first selected in 1958 and last played in 1984. Unlike the current Junior All Blacks, the earlier team was an under-23 age-grade selection.

Yeah, I know. Except the Junior ABs hasn't played since 2009...and there doesn't seem to any more fixtures on the horizon.

This is from the IRB website

http://www.irb.com/mm/document/lawsregs/regulations/04/23/28/42328_pdf.pdf

6. How do I know which team is a Union’s next senior fifteen-a-side
    National Representative Team?
    There should be no uncertainty over which team constitutes a Union’s
    next fifteen-a-side senior National Representative Team since, as from
    January 1 2000, Unions are required to notify the IRB of the name of its
    nominated next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team. The
    team nominated remains the Union’s next fifteen-a-side senior National
    Representative Team for a period of 4 years. The identity of a Union’s
    next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team can be verified
    with the Union concerned and/or the IRB.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Well I'm glad there's no uncertainty over that so.

Maybe Samoa are New Zealand's 2nd side?

(runs away)

(runs away)

Nah, it's Connacht.

(also runs away)

(runs away)

Samoa did have 15 NZ-born players at the last world-cup.;)

OK, IBF, so the NZRFU wrote back again

The Junior All Blacks are defined as the second team, although they haven’t assembled since 2009.

All the best

So it is the Junior ABs...who haven't played since 2009. Well, I'm going to say that is extremely lame. Recent noises from Steve Tew suggest the NZRFU isn't too bothered about losing players to project contracts overseas, so unlike SA naming their U20 side as the 2nd side, it doesn't appear NZ will follow suit. If anything, NZ fringe players might become a bit wary of appearing for the Junior ABs...whenever that next is.

• Advertisement

ABs training squad named Monday, I'm going to have a lash in advance. 31 players to be named I think.

FB: Smith, Dagg
    Wing: Savea, Piutau, Jane
    Centres: Nonu, Crotty, Smith, Fekitoa
    Flyhalf: Cruden, Barrett, Slade,
    Scrumhalf: Smith, Perenara, Kerr-Barlow

Loosies: Read, McCaw, Cane, Kaino, Messam
    Locks: Whitelock, Retallick, Romano, Bird
    Hookers: Mealamu, Coles, Coltman
    Props: Woodcock, Franks, Franks, Crockett

I'm never an expert at picking props. Anyway, we'll see...

Training squad is 35 players. I expect guys like Charlie Famuina and Patrick Tuipulotu to be in the mix.

Bryn Hall could be a smokey at 9, likewise Sopoaga at 10. Interesting to see if Luatua gets a look back in, with Kaino back he might be surplus.

edit: I'm wrong, it's Patrick not Charles

Training squad is 35 players. I expect guys like Charlie Famuina and Charles Tuipulotu to be in the mix. Just realised that is 3 guys called Charles/Charlie potentially in the squad, all PI boys too.

Bryn Hall could be a smokey at 9, likewise Sopoaga at 10. Interesting to see if Luatua gets a look back in, with Kaino back he might be surplus.

Ah, yeah forgot Faumuina. I never get the props right. I think Tuipolotou will be given the ITM first, and Bird has got better. I think Slade will get the nod ahead of Sopoaga. I dont think Luatua will make it, unless he's chosen as a 6/lock, maybe in place of Romano. If it's 35 though, then probably. I really dont like Kerr-Barlow, but he seems a Hansen favourite. I'd go with Smith & Perenara on the bench every time, although that was a shocking no-pass to Jane in the weekend from TJ which butchered a certain try. Should be a decent squad anyway. It's a pity Afeaki has ongoing concussion issues since round 1, I really thought he'd come on, but he's running out of time.

Edit: if it's 35, Vito might get a look in to, he's probably the next best 8 after Read

Ah, yeah forgot Faumuina. I never get the props right. I think Tuipolotou will be given the ITM first, and Bird has got better. I think Slade will get the nod ahead of Sopoaga. I dont think Luatua will make it, unless he's chosen as a 6/lock, maybe in place of Romano. If it's 35 though, then probably. I really dont like Kerr-Barlow, but he seems a Hansen favourite. I'd go with Smith & Perenara on the bench every time, although that was a shocking no-pass to Jane in the weekend from TJ which butchered a certain try. Should be a decent squad anyway. It's a pity Afeaki has ongoing concussion issues since round 1, I really thought he'd come on, but he's running out of time.

I agree Bird has come on but Patrick offers a point of difference, he's similar to Romano in his size but is possibly more athletic and skillful. Bird does have his height going for him though.

I would take Slade over Sopoaga purely for his experience in the ABs but I have been very impressed with Sopoaga this season. A key part of the Highlanders success and has great accuracy off the tee.

Halfback is a strange one, on form Ellis would be in the discussion but I know he won't be picked. To me Smith is head and shoulders above the rest (not literally of course).

Doubt Vito will get a look in with Kaino back. Always been a fan but I can see him heading off to France or hopefully sticking around and heading to Rio as he has mentioned in the media.

I agree Bird has come on but Patrick offers a point of difference, he's similar to Romano in his size but is possibly more athletic and skillful. Bird does have his height going for him though.

I would take Slade over Sopoaga purely for his experience in the ABs but I have been very impressed with Sopoaga this season. A key part of the Highlanders success and has great accuracy of the tee.

Halfback is a strange one, on form Ellis would be in the discussion but I know he won't be picked. To me Smith is head and shoulder above the rest (not literally of course).

Doubt Vito will get a look in with Kaino back. Always been a fan but I can see him heading off to France or hopefully sicking around and heading to Rio as he has mentioned in the media.

Ah yeah, as a Cantab man (but also objectively) Ellis has been pretty consistent. But I'll choke on my breakfast if he's selected. With my other hat on, I'd say Leinster would do well to swap Ellis for the ex-Waikato lad Boss whose form has somewhat plummeted this season...

Neither Ellis nor Vito have ever really nailed it at AB level though. I'd have no problem with Tuipolotou getting the nod, but I reckon he'll be namechecked but not selected...yet. A possible bolter though for sure. I'll be intrigued by the front row selections, there's usually an unexpected naming there.

In the past guys like Brad Shields and Big Ben Tameifuna have made the training squad but never kicked on so I'd imagine anyone young with obvious potential will be introduced to the group e.g. Tuipulotu.

In the past guys like Brad Shields and Big Ben Tameifuna have made the training squad but never kicked on so I'd imagine anyone young with obvious potential will be introduced to the group e.g. Tuipulotu.

Tameifuna will never make it, I reckon, just not seen as able for 80 minutes. Shields has had a miserable year with injury. If he's patient he'll make the ABs, but most likely 2016.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,220 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

any chance of simon hickey as a bolter? or is it too early for him.... i dont know does hansen even does left field picks like that.

Slade has been playing very well, but hes a year older than cruden so is significantly older than sopoaga and barrett.

(jesus you kiwis are blessed with talent ya jammy feckers!)

Saw Wales are doing a probables v possibles game and I recently saw this on TSF and thought people might find it interesting:
    ygajatun.jpg

Interesting that Jamies Joseph, Tabai Matson and Kevin Schuler all played that day and are now all coaching.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    any chance of simon hickey as a bolter? or is it too early for him.... i dont know does hansen even does left field picks like that.

Slade has been playing very well, but hes a year older than cruden so is significantly older than sopoaga and barrett.

(jesus you kiwis are blessed with talent ya jammy feckers!)

Unlikely as he will be playing in the JWC. Also he would behind quite a few guys, I would say he would be lucky to be in the 8th best FH in the country.

Advertisement