Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Blacks Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Hosea Gear is all power not much else. Just don't like his attitude, hopping countries the whole time making as much money.

I be more interested in that winger playing with the under 20's in a terrible team and being fantastic every match. He plays for the blues....socks around his ankles.

Yes, he should follow the lead of the SA players, who have all remained loyal to the cause...actually he's returning to NZ next year. Just like Habana, Steyn, Du Preez, Botha, Pienaar, Burger are heading back to SA ;) Plank in your own eye there E1989. Gear is no Luke McAlister.

Tevita Li. Quite possibly a future ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Yes, he should follow the lead of the SA players, who have all remained loyal to the cause...actually he's returning to NZ next year. Just like Habana, Steyn, Du Preez, Botha, Pienaar, Burger are heading back to SA ;) Plank in your own eye there E1989. Gear is no Luke McAlister.

Tevita Li. Quite possibly a future ahead of him.

Your hardly comparing Hosea Gear to proven winners like Habana, Du Preez Botha and Burger(arguably 4 of the best player in there position in the past decade(2 of them for sure are)) who have done everything in the game. Look South Africa policy can work for it because the population is huge.

NZ shouldn't be picking Gear IMO, he isn't much good other than running over people. If he can't do that he is very uneffective. Give the future a chance, they have the ability there is no doubt about that.

Your hardly comparing Hosea Gear to proven winners like Habana, Du Preez Botha and Burger(arguably 4 of the best player in there position in the past decade(2 of them for sure are)) who have done everything in the game. Look South Africa policy can work for it because the population is huge.

NZ shouldn't be picking Gear IMO, he isn't much good other than running over people. If he can't do that he is very uneffective. Give the future a chance, they have the ability there is no doubt about that.

Yeah I tend to agree with you re Gear but we see how he does next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Return of the King..

Dan-Carter-return-from-sabbatical-Lesley-Murdoch.jpg

A solid hit-out for Dan Carter in his much anticipated return to rugby.

Returning from his sabbatical, the record-breaking All Blacks first-five has played the first-half of Southbridge's Canterbury Country club match against Glenmark.

Carter's set-up two tries and kicked two conversions and two penalties.

He says his lungs felt good.

"Not too bad actually. I've been doing a lot of fitness work and it definitely paid off. There was a couple of moments there I was catching my breath but luckily it wasn't too open a game so I could catch my breath when I had to."

For the record, Southbridge beat Glenmark 51-10.

Carter says he hopes to play for Southbridge again next week before making his comeback for the Crusaders.

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/news/sprug/1269950406-rugby--carter-solid-in-return-from-sabbatical

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

They should stick him in vs england on tuesday!

If Jane can improve next week, I reckon Dagg will be out of the starting 15 in future. I know piutau is injured, but are there any other exciting wings in NZ atm?

• Advertisement

All Blacks Rugby Championship squad

Forwards:

Hookers
    Dane Coles Wellington / Hurricanes (18)
    Keven Mealamu Auckland / Blues (113)

Props
    Wyatt Crockett Canterbury / Crusaders (27)
    Charlie Faumuina Auckland / Blues (20)
    Ben Franks Hawke's Bay / Hurricanes (31)
    Owen Franks Canterbury / Crusaders (57)
    Tony Woodcock North Harbour / Blues (110)

Locks
    Dominic Bird Canterbury / Crusaders (1)
    Brodie Retallick Bay of Plenty / Chiefs (27)
    Patrick Tuipulotu Auckland / Blues (2)
    Samuel Whitelock Canterbury / Crusaders (54)

Loose forwards
    Sam Cane Bay of Plenty / Chiefs (14)
    Jerome Kaino Auckland / Blues (51)
    Steven Luatua Auckland / Blues (11)
    Richie McCaw (c) Canterbury / Crusaders (127)
    Liam Messam Waikato / Chiefs (32)
    Kieran Read Canterbury / Crusaders (62)

Backs:

Halfbacks
    Tawera Kerr-Barlow Waikato / Chiefs (14)
    TJ Perenara Wellington/ Hurricanes (3)
    Aaron Smith Manawatu / Highlanders (29)

First five-eighths
    Beauden Barrett Taranaki / Hurricanes (19)
    Daniel Carter Canterbury / Crusaders (100)
    Aaron Cruden Manawatu / Chiefs (32)

Midfielders
    Malakai Fekitoa Auckland / Highlanders (2)
    Ma'a Nonu Wellington / Blues (91)
    Conrad Smith Wellington / Hurricanes (77)

Outside backs
    Israel Dagg Hawke's Bay / Crusaders (39)
    Cory Jane Wellington / Hurricanes (48)
    Charles Piutau Auckland / Blues (10)
    Ben Smith Otago / Highlanders (29)
    Julian Savea Wellington/ Hurricanes (22)

The Crusaders trio of Todd, Ellis & Crotty are unlucky, especially Todd. Victor Vito misses out due to injury. I guess it should be noted that Daniel is back from sabbatical.

I think first game is v Aussie, the fans are already talking up their chances, but it'll be the usual Q of whether the Aussie pack is up to it or not.

Pity the squad can't be even bigger with both Andy Ellis and Colin Slade missing out; I suppose the bottom line is that there's such strength in depth in NZ from 9-15 that it's extremely difficult to push your way into the squad. What happens when SBW returns next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The quality through that squad is just scary. Hard to see NZ losing a game in the championship imo.

Can Piutau cover centre?

Pity the squad can't be even bigger with both Andy Ellis and Colin Slade missing out; I suppose the bottom line is that there's such strength in depth in NZ from 9-15 that it's extremely difficult to push your way into the squad. What happens when SBW returns next year?
    Can Piutau cover centre?

In answer to

1) The fattened calf is slaughtered for the return of the prodigal son.

2) No idea. Wouldn't be keen to use the RC as a training ground. I'd rather think Piutau will replace Jane, and we'll have Savea, Smith, Piutau, although wouldn't rule out Smith returning to 14 and Dagg to 15.

• Advertisement

In answer to

1) The fattened calf is slaughtered for the return of the prodigal son.

2) No idea. Wouldn't be keen to use the RC as a training ground. I'd rather think Piutau will replace Jane, and we'll have Savea, Smith, Piutau, although wouldn't rule out Smith returning to 14 and Dagg to 15.

Ya i was thinking it'll be the latter and was wondering if Piutau could be centre cover too, making him useful bench cover.

Is 1) saying that Nonu will be dropped for SBW?

Ya i was thinking it'll be the latter and was wondering if Piutau could be centre cover too, making him useful bench cover.

Is 1) saying that Nonu will be dropped for SBW?

Nah. He'll still have to play OK. But he ousted Nonu last time. Personally, I think he's cutting his run fine by not having coming back this year, but I guess in fairness he's signed thru to 2016, so not just popping back for the RWC then off we go again.

There should be a good number of ABs finishing up after 2015: Woodcock, Mealamu, McCaw, probably Messam, Carter, Nonu, Conrad Smith, possibly Cory Jane, so lots of chances for wee cameos in Ireland to round off the career.

Muster are having Carter and McCaw - you heard it here first. :D

I thought Messam was like 26? Didnt realise he was 30. He should still have a couple years after the WC though assuming he is in good form.

I thought Messam was like 26? Didnt realise he was 30. He should still have a couple years after the WC though assuming he is in good form.

Yeah he might stick around for the lions. Might depend what Kaino does too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Can Piutau cover centre?

I'm pretty sure that Piutau has played a bit of centre for Auckland in the NPC and also at age group level. I haven't researched this. Its a hunch.

Ya, I vaguely remember some commentator mention him covering centre in SVX, that's why i was asking. I can make stuff like this up in my head pretty easily!

I had to go a long way back to find this thread (sorry mods) but I didn't think this match was worth a thread on its own. Here is the ALl Blacks team vs. the Seppos.

Starting XV (tests in brackets)
    1. Joe Moody (5)
    2. Nathan Harris (1)
    3. Charlie Faumuina (22)
    4. Jeremy Thrush (4)
    5. Patrick Tuipulotu (5)
    6. Victor Vito (24)
    7. Sam Cane (21)
    8. Kieran Read (captain) (69)
    9. TJ Perenara (7)
    10. Aaron Cruden (35)
    11. Charles Piutau (11)
    12. Sonny Bill Williams (19)
    13. Ryan Crotty (9)
    14. Cory Jane (52)
    15. Israel Dagg (43)

Reserves:

16. Keven Mealamu (120)
    17. Wyatt Crockett (33)
    18. Ben Franks (37)
    19. Brodie Retallick (33)
    20. Liam Messam (35)
    21. Augustine Pulu *
    22. Daniel Carter (100)
    23. Julian Savea (28)

Amazing that this has sold out. There is only ever going to be one result.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,379 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

All Black Maori team announced for test v Japan

New Zealand Maori:
    15 Robbie Robinson,
    14 Matt Proctor,
    13 Jason Emery,
    12 Charlie Ngatai (c)
    11 James Lowe,
    10 Ihaia West,
    9 Chris Smylie,
    8 Elliot Dixon,
    7 Sean Polwart,
    6 Blade Thomson,
    5 Hayden Triggs,
    4 Tom Franklin,
    3 Mike Kainga,
    2 Ash Dixon,
    1 Chris Eves.

Replacements:
    16 Codie Taylor,
    17 Brendon Edmonds,
    18 Nick Barrett,
    19 Nick Crosswell,
    20 Dan Pryor,
    21 Jamison Gibson-Park,
    22 Marty McKenzie,
    23 Nehe Milner-Skudder.

Decent Highlanders representation with Ash + Elliot Dixon, Franklin, Emery, Pryor, Edmonds.

Bookies have ABMs +21 on this one, which may be a tad generous given japans improvement in recent times, especially in the set piece area.

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I had to go a long way back to find this thread (sorry mods) but I didn't think this match was worth a thread on its own. Here is the ALl Blacks team vs. the Seppos.

Starting XV (tests in brackets)
    1. Joe Moody (5)
    2. Nathan Harris (1)
    3. Charlie Faumuina (22)
    4. Jeremy Thrush (4)
    5. Patrick Tuipulotu (5)
    6. Victor Vito (24)
    7. Sam Cane (21)
    8. Kieran Read (captain) (69)
    9. TJ Perenara (7)
    10. Aaron Cruden (35)
    11. Charles Piutau (11)
    12. Sonny Bill Williams (19)
    13. Ryan Crotty (9)
    14. Cory Jane (52)
    15. Israel Dagg (43)

Reserves:

16. Keven Mealamu (120)
    17. Wyatt Crockett (33)
    18. Ben Franks (37)
    19. Brodie Retallick (33)
    20. Liam Messam (35)
    21. Augustine Pulu *
    22. Daniel Carter (100)
    23. Julian Savea (28)

He's back! No, not the preening peacock SBW, but Din Cada.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    All Black Maori team announced for test v Japan

New Zealand Maori:
    15 Robbie Robinson,
    14 Matt Proctor,
    13 Jason Emery,
    12 Charlie Ngatai (c)
    11 James Lowe,
    10 Ihaia West,
    9 Chris Smylie,
    8 Elliot Dixon,
    7 Sean Polwart,
    6 Blade Thomson,
    5 Hayden Triggs,
    4 Tom Franklin,
    3 Mike Kainga,
    2 Ash Dixon,
    1 Chris Eves.

Replacements:
    16 Codie Taylor,
    17 Brendon Edmonds,
    18 Nick Barrett,
    19 Nick Crosswell,
    20 Dan Pryor,
    21 Jamison Gibson-Park,
    22 Marty McKenzie,
    23 Nehe Milner-Skudder.

Decent Highlanders representation with Ash + Elliot Dixon, Franklin, Emery, Pryor, Edmonds.

Bookies have ABMs +21 on this one, which may be a tad generous given japans improvement in recent times, especially in the set piece area.

Decent side. Good to see Robbie Robinson back, his career was unde threat with some hip problem I think. Don't think he got a Super contract though which is a pity. Great player when injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That AiG side should waltz up and down over the Americans. I wonder if they'd ease off?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,379 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Smylie and West will be a great combination as well. hope west has a stormer!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Smylie and West will be a great combination as well. hope west has a stormer!

West is the new Carlos Spencer. Finally the Blues saw the light. His goalkicking was rubbish in the ITM though. Pity Kirwan didn't see sense a way back and install Gareth Anscombe "dead-eye dick" at 15.

As you say this game could be close if the Japanese forwards match up, but if not, I reckon there's enough talent there to cut the Japanese to ribbons.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

West is the new Carlos Spencer. Finally the Blues saw the light. His goalkicking was rubbish in the ITM though. Pity Kirwan didn't see sense a way back and install Gareth Anscombe "dead-eye dick" at 15.

As you say this game could be close if the Japanese forwards match up, but if not, I reckon there's enough talent there to cut the Japanese to ribbons.

I'm assuming that game isn't on the tele anywhere in this part of the world?

molloyjh wrote: »

Havent seen anywhere thats showing it.

molloyjh wrote: »

Hmmm. Looks like it's on Sky TV NZ & Fox (soccer) Plus (!) in the US. It's 5 in the morning on Saturday, I won't be getting up for it...and I'm pretty sure you won't be either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think Sky advertised it last week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Decent side. Good to see Robbie Robinson back, his career was unde threat with some hip problem I think. Don't think he got a Super contract though which is a pity. Great player when injury free.

Any word on Hames not making the squad? Seemed to play well for Highlanders this year and made Maori last summer.

Advertisement