Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Blacks Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Is piutau first choice now or just been given a go in a few friendly games?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Like I said elsewhere we swap you a winger for Jack McGrath :)

I would swap Cory Jane for Jack McGrath every day of the week.

It's Corey Jane ffs! Getting to see those hand-offs on a more regular basis..... wow

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

SOLD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Is piutau first choice now or just been given a go in a few friendly games?

I wouldn't count Australia & France as friendly games :eek:, Japan maybe.

He's strung 3 quality games together, and Hansen strongly hinted that means he'll get this weekend's game as a result.

Just seen the AB team. McCaw better not get injured (or yellow-carded he he)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Crotty ahead of Jane on the bench? Is Crotty more versatile?

Crotty ahead of Jane on the bench? Is Crotty more versatile?

Nah Crotty covers midfield, Ben Smith covers back 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Stephen Archer? Tony Buckley?

Niall O'Connor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Hands off!

Sorry to bug you Swiwi but you keep more of an eye on Kiwi media.

What is the feeling on Cotter and Schmidt there? Are they on the radar?

Is there murmurings of getting them back into Super XV coaching at some point?

International rugby seems to be a career-killer for a lot of coaches but Henry did well after Wales and the Lions.

• Advertisement

Morf wrote: »
    Sorry to bug you Swiwi but you keep more of an eye on Kiwi media.

What is the feeling on Cotter and Schmidt there? Are they on the radar?

Is there murmurings of getting them back into Super XV coaching at some point?

International rugby seems to be a career-killer for a lot of coaches but Henry did well after Wales and the Lions.

Not at the moment, every article etc is all about the England game this weekend. Schmidt will definitely come into view next week, though, and I expect he might even get interviewed on NZ radio, which I'll post if that's the case. Obviously, if Ireland beat the ABs, he will be etched in the NZ conscience for eternity.

Cotter is out of view at present, but it will depend on his work with Scotland, I guess.

They'll both come more info focus I assume after 2015, depending on how NZ fare, and what Ireland & Scotland produce. Dave Rennie must be a frontrunner at present for the AB job, but Schmidt/Cotter would be an appealing combination. However, one or both of them would have to somehow be involved in NZ rugby under the current rules. I'm sure some solution would be found if they were chosen.

A lot of people criticise NZers for not following NH rugby, but I don't think you can blame people for not getting up at 3am to watch Munster play Leinster. A reasonable amount of people would follow the 6N, but only diehard fans would stretch to HEC rugby I think. So Schmidt's HEC success & Cotter's Top 14 success would not have registered so much, but certainly success with either Ireland or Scotland would be noticed, especially if it involved knocking SANZAR teams or England (less so France, and not really Wales or Scotland) out of a RWC.

Thank you!

Good to know that they are getting complacent. Rather than getting carried away with a possible loss-free season they are worrying about the worsening scrum and less convincing performances.

Yeah! SBW is returning to rugby...in 2015/16, having signed a contract with the Chiefs/NZRFU. He can be an annoying character, but much like Folau, Cooper, Le Roux he is one of those players that makes Super Rugby fun to watch.

All Blacks Cory Jane, Israel Dagg and Luke Romano have all signed contract extensions beyond the 2015 World Cup.

Lock Romano has signed on until 2016, while outside backs Dagg and Jane will stay until 2017, when the British and Irish Lions are due to tour New Zealand.

Other top All Blacks on long-term deals include Kieran Read, Ben Smith and Sam Whitelock (all 2017), as well as Dane Coles and returning rugby league star Sonny Bill Williams (both 2016).

Jane, Dagg and Romano all cited Sean & Jamie as inspiration to remain loyal to club and country - thanks lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Any idea where Benji is going to be suiting up yet

astonaidan wrote: »
    Any idea where Benji is going to be suiting up yet

Flyhalf for the Blues. He's going to need to play out of his skin to make the ABs, and I expect his tackling, or lack thereof, will be heavily targeted during the SXV.

We shall see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Flyhalf for the Blues. He's going to need to play out of his skin to make the ABs, and I expect his tackling, or lack thereof, will be heavily targeted during the SXV.

We shall see.
    So your not holding much hope for him? remember watching him for the tigers and thought FB or maybe centre, an awful strange decision to start off at ten

astonaidan wrote: »
    So your not holding much hope for him? remember watching him for the tigers and thought FB or maybe centre, an awful strange decision to start off at ten

I think it's a gimmick. Keeping on with Buer's theme, I'm sure crowd numbers will "swell", but I'll be surprised if he's skilled enough to game manage. I would have thought FB too...but then the Blues have Piutau.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Who else do the Blues have that can play 10 to a good standard?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Who else do the Blues have that can play 10 to a good standard?

Their other flyhalves are Baden Kerr, Chris Noakes, and at a stretch Piri Weepu. I would class the first 2 as a bit like Jimmy Gopperth - capable of mixing the good with the bad. Enough to win some games, but not consistent enough to go all the way (another Buer-ism...).

I expect Marshall will have moments of magic. But against structured teams like the Crusaders and the Brumbies, I'm not sure he will know how to pull the strings well enough.

I genuinely would love to see a player like Sexton with the Blues.

• Advertisement

You next AB hooker is Liam Coltman (Highlanders). Very impressive work-rate. You heard it here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Shock as Weepu suffers minor stroke

Jesus, that's mad. Hopefully nothing too serious..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

.ak wrote: »
    Shock as Weepu suffers minor stroke

Jesus, that's mad. Hopefully nothing too serious..

https://twitter.com/piriweepu/status/448976554995888128

Boss and Jimmy tweeted him, seems in good spirits now thankkfully

Ouch! Cruden fractured thumb and may miss June series v England. Carter already out via Sabbatical. Cometh the hour cometh the Beauden-meister I hope. Is Donald trout fishing?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Seemingly England were trying to get the tests moved back a week but no luck (it sounds like it was there own fault too)

http://www.espn.co.uk/england/rugby/story/220949.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ouch! Cruden fractured thumb and may miss June series v England. Carter already out via Sabbatical. Cometh the hour cometh the Beauden-meister I hope. Is Donald trout fishing?

That's a big blow. Barrett has all the flair in the world in Super Rugby but test rugby asks so many more (different) questions. Should still be a Kiwi clean sweep though

Tox56 wrote: »
    That's a big blow. Barrett has all the flair in the world in Super Rugby but test rugby asks so many more (different) questions. Should still be a Kiwi clean sweep though

There's always the chance the English pack gets the better of the NZ one, but the best FHs still shine despite playing off the back foot. Will be a good test for wee Beaudie.

It's AB bolters time!

Kiwi rugby fans love a good bolter! Not too long now until the Blackness is named to face our very good friends™ the Poms. So I've picked a possible bolter from each franchise

Blues
    NZ has 2 world class locks in Whitelock & Retallick, and international options in Romano, Bird & Thrush. The latter 2 have not convinced too much to date. So I've gone with Patrick Tuipulotu, who had another great game for the Blues today at lock.

Chiefs
    Whether NZ needs yet another wing who can cover FB or vice versa I'm not sure. 14/15 will be well covered by Smith, Dagg & Piutau +/- Jane, but Tom Marshall has always impressed. TNW is another possibility, but I shudder to think of him in midfield defending against Tualagi.

Hurricanes
    I'd go with Jack Lam or Alapati Leiua especially...but these 2 are both aligned with Samoa. Kind of leaves me Andre Taylor...don't think so.

Crusaders
    Can't see any bolters here, so I'll go with Colin Slade to usurp Tom Taylor and take the third 10 spot behind Cruden & Barrett.

Highlanders
    Easiest to last. Malechai Fekitoa has looked sharp all season in a position NZ has limited depth. I've been more & more impressed with Ryan Crotty as a dual 12/13, but Fekitoa looks good. Nonu & Smith are nailed on, and I think Crotty will make the cut, but with Saili injured/average, and Aki now Connacht bound, Fekitoa has a royal chance.

How's Nonu playing recently?

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    How's Nonu playing recently?

Was fine today v the (Wara)Tahs. Lovely pass to set up the first try. As we all know, he can play as rubbish as he wants in SXV, he's not losing that AB 12 jersey. Not until SBW returns anyway.

Advertisement