Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Blacks Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

AngeGal wrote: »
    I guess slightly off topic but would you know much about Jake Heenan Swiwi?
    Teferi wrote: »
    Was just coming into the thread to ask about him myself.

Very strange. Surely if someone is captaining the U20's they are all but destined for an All Black shirt, at the very least they would have a lot of potential anyway. Seems like a bit of a coup for Connacht tbh, hopefully he does well for them.

About as much as your average Connacht fan! I actually have a bit of a life outside rugby (!), and U20's rugby is something I keep an eye on the results, but would hardly watch any of the games. Last year, NZ actually didn't win the damn thing, so maybe he thought the honourable thing to do was disappear overseas for a while, until the stink died down...

On a more serious note, he's only 20, and realistically McCaw, Cane and your pick of Ardie Savea/Braid/Todd probably have the 7 jersey locked away until post 2015. McCaw will then retire I would imagine, and he might look to return to NZ and try his hand for 2019. Certainly, the Highlanders could do with a decent openside, it's been a long time between Josh Kronfeld drinks.

The other option, of course, is to declare for Ireland at the end of those 3 years. I must say I find the IRB rules weird - 20 seconds of rugby for Fiji rules out Nacewa from an AB jersey for life, while Jake Heenan (who judging by the name almost certainly has Maori blood in him), can become Irish in 3 years.

Anyway, that's beside the point, and in summary I don't really know anything about him, but if he captained the U20s, he must be a handy enough player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

lurtz wrote: »
    he was co captain, Id imagine Lam convinced him that a few years abroad would do him the world of good,like gatland convinced junior charlie back in the day. or maybe less likely,he doesnt think he'll ever play for NZ,or maybe jsut wants to give himself the option of either

Fairly sure he was captain on his own. You might be thinking of the other new kiwi signing Craig Clarke, who was co captain of the chiefs for a period.

Thanks Swiwi. Whilst I'm here, I might aswell ask you about Craig Clarke. I don't follow super 15, obviously he's a good player if he captained the Chiefs to win it. I read also that he was in the wider training squad of the all blacks at one point. How highly would you rate him? Perhaps as a marker, would you expect him to make the Ireland team if he was eligible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Thanks Swiwi. Whilst I'm here, I might aswell ask you about Craig Clarke. I don't follow super 15, obviously he's a good player if he captained the Chiefs to win it. I read also that he was in the wider training squad of the all blacks at one point. How highly would you rate him? Perhaps as a marker, would you expect him to make the Ireland team if he was eligible?

I know your not asking me but just thought I'd give my opinion Clarke is a very solid player whol ill do a huge amount of work and is pretty good in the lineout last season he was excellent and he probably should have been ahead of Williams (though last year that's not saying much). I wouldn't expect him to start but it'd be a tough enough call and he'd certainly be on the bench.

He's a very good player, but I don't think quite international calibre. If I had to find an Irish equivalent, maybe I'd say Leo Cullen in his prime - leads from the front, good work ethic, would figuratively die for the cause. Probably not quite skilled enough to make it as an international lock. I'd rate Paul O'Connell and Donncha Ryan as better locks, but he'd be a solid candidate for a wider Irish squad.

• Advertisement

All opinions appreciated. Great, sounds like we've gotten a good replacement for Mike McCarthy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

All Blacks? Sounds racist.

(I really need to increase my knowledge of SH rugby).

Podge_irl wrote: »
    All Blacks? Sounds racist.

(I really need to increase my knowledge of SH rugby).

There is one theory that the name originated from a London newspaper reporting that New Zealanders played rugby as if they were all backs, and it got misspelled to all blacks, and given the colour of the jersey, the name stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Fairly sure he was captain on his own. You might be thinking of the other new kiwi signing Craig Clarke, who was co captain of the chiefs for a period.

no he was co captain with bryn hall scrum half

And Ali Williams has announced his retirement from international rugby. Fairplay to him for jumping before he was shoved. A multi-talented lock in his prime, he was superlative in the years peri-2005, but after his achilles injuries (?2009), he was never remotely the same player, and only maintained his AB jersey on reputation/loyalty rather than form. The fact of the matter is that Sam Whitelock in particular (but also Retallick & Romano) are now playing consistently better rugby, and Dominc Bird from the Crusaders has all the physical attributes too. Thanks for the memories Ali!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Injuries wrecked him but he was a superb athlete at his peak, vying with Matfield for best in the world at their role. An awful pain in the ass too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Swiwi wrote: »
    He has been going OK for the Chiefs. For reasons I don't fully understand, he doesn't always start, with Rennie sometimes preferring Tanerau Latimer (who is a bit of a journeyman to be frank).

He looked promising against Ireland I agree, but has had limited opportunities since, so this 3 test series against France is his chance to secure the back-up 7 role.

McCaw will be a hard act to follow, but when I have seen Cane play, he certainly reads the game well, and runs good lines for an openside.

Everyone looked promising against Ireland afaik that day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That try of his against the Lions still gives me that crushing feeling inside, you knew then that the tests were only going one way!

Anyway here is a clip of him breaking up a fight :pac::pac:

would have loved to see him batter that cheeky fcuk who dares to disrespect the great man

Jeremy Thrush called into ABs training squad to replace Ali Williams. Benson Stanley's "last cab off the rank" comment comes to mind.

And now Sam Whitelock ruled out with a broken finger, just when he was hitting amazing form. Should continue the meteoric rise for Dominic Bird - surely his nickname is "Big"?!

Be afraid, be very afraid! A NZ coach is coming to a club/province/country near you. Congratulations to Vern Cotter on securing the Scottish job! And joining his cuzzies "Joe" & "Gats" at the helm of a Celtic Nation. Choice bro! Not too long now and the plebs will be complaining about the superfifteenization of the 6N! We might just start watching the damn thing, instead of burying our head in the proverbial sand of THE Rugby Championship's superiority. Of course, no-one speaks Italian or French in Aotearoa, and Wayne Smith turned down the English job once he knew ther'd be a bounty on his head, so there's not quite a Kiwi hegemony just yet...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Ruck Inspector

Whitelock and Retallick is some combo and with Romano off the bench your talking about three top class locks.

Don't know much about Bird.

Whitelock and Retallick is some combo and with Romano off the bench your talking about three top class locks.

Don't know much about Bird.

Whitelock is now injured :( He has looked world-class at times during this SXV.

Bird just plays off the bench for the Crusaders, so he is being picked more on potential than proven form, but he's almost certain to make the reduced squad named this weekend after AW's retirement, and SW's injury. The only taller player in the SXV is Andries Bekker.

• Advertisement

Swiwi what do you think of thrush's chances if any?

lurtz wrote: »
    Swiwi what do you think of thrush's chances if any?

I dunno, he hasn't really impressed me to AB level TBH. He was U19 player of the year, and he's decent enough, but he's got his work cut out to displace Whitelock, Romano & Retallick. No doubt he'll get 1 cap, never get selected again, and end up in Japan or France...I guess we'll see, he's still relatively young at 28.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I see that Conrad Smith is following McCaw's lead and taking a six-month break after the Four Nations to recharge his batteries ahead of the 2015 World Cup, with the blessing of Wayne Smith.

It's a good idea for Smith and a nice bit of business for the ABs.

I see that Conrad Smith is following McCaw's lead and taking a six-month break after the Four Nations to recharge his batteries ahead of the 2015 World Cup, with the blessing of Wayne Smith.

It's a good idea for Smith and a nice bit of business for the ABs.

Sad times, though, for rugby. The world will never again see Smith & O'Driscoll go head to head...unless Ben plays at 13, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Not sure if this is the place, but Parra and Palisson have been ruled out of the tour. Parra is injured while Palisson needs off season surgery. They have been replaced by Jean-Marc Doussain and Marc Andreu.

Maybe we should have a France-NZ Series thread?

Not sure if this is the place, but Parra and Palisson have been ruled out of the tour. Parra is injured while Palisson needs off season surgery. They have been replaced by Jean-Marc Doussain and Marc Andreu.

Maybe we should have a France-NZ Series thread?

That's a pity. I haven't heard of Doussain & Andreu, hopefully they're good!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Andreu is very good but he's tiiiiiiny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Ruck Inspector

Whats the likely NZ team for the first france game?

My team as of right now.

1. Ben Franks
    2. Dan Coles
    3. Owen Franks
    4. Brodie Retallick
    5. Luke Romano
    6. Steven Luatua
    7. Sam Cane
    8. Kieran Reed
    9. Piri Weepu
    10. Dan Carter
    11. Julian Savea
    12. Ma'a Nonu
    13. Conrad Smith
    14. Ben Smith
    15. Israel Dagg

I'd say Coles won't start. Don't think Weepu really works with Carter either would pick Perenara myself. Also wouldn't be surprised for someone new to be tried at 13.

• Advertisement

Whats the likely NZ team for the first france game?

My team as of right now.

1. Ben Franks => Woodock
    2. Dan Coles => Mealamu or Hore
    3. Owen Franks
    4. Brodie Retallick
    5. Luke Romano
    6. Steven Luatua => Messam
    7. Sam Cane
    8. Kieran Reed
    9. Piri Weepu => Smith
    10. Dan Carter
    11. Julian Savea
    12. Ma'a Nonu
    13. Conrad Smith
    14. Ben Smith => Ranger or Halal
    15. Israel Dagg

That's what I think Hansen & co will choose. I would LOVE to see Ben Smith get the 15 shirt, he's played bloody well all season, and Dagg has been average.

Advertisement