Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI SUPER 6 - Now starts Thursdays UPDATED

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

vicwatson wrote: »
    ^^^^

Good super 6 that. Great stuff there for salads, chicken and ham salads, nice, just need some nice weather now :rolleyes:

Those tomatoes are completely tasteless even more so than other genetically modified tomotoes.

Then again for 5 cent a tomato including taxes and delivery how can they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

^^^

Now you got it

but if you use your imagination and throw in an onion, veg stock, salt, black pepper, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil and passata and cook down for 20 mins and blend you have a very delicious, healthy, cheap tomato soup,.

all ya gotta do is pimp the tomatoes, they are even more nourishing when cooked, all that lycopene.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Those tomatoes are completely tasteless even more so than other organically modified tomotoes.

We use them to make tomato chili jam.

1kg tomatos - aldi super 6
    A hanabanero chili at least - aldi
    3-4 tablespoons of fish sauce - cheap in the asian market
    150ml red wine vinegar - anywhere
    3-4 garlic cloves - aldi/asian market
    1-2 inch of ginger - aldi/asian market
    ~200g of sugar - Aldi (most recipes say at least double this, but we never thought it needed it)
    ~4 jars

Chop tomatos (I chop them in half, and then that half into 9) and put them in a large enough pot
    Blend the chilis, fish sauce, pealed garlic and pealed ginger(use a spoon to peal the ginger)
    Add the blended paste to the pot
    Add the sugar
    Add the red wine vinegar
    Mix it all up and put it on a 4 heat with the lid off, That'll start to bubble up after a while, so stir it every now and again. The less sugar we put in means it'll take longer to reduce, but usually we have it bubbling for a good 90 minutes or so. Basically, until its think enough to not be watery.

Steralise your jars and store it. I usually make these is much larger batches. Usually 5-6 tomato trays (~1400g).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Those tomatoes are completely tasteless even more so than other organically modified tomotoes.

What does "organically modified" mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

unkel wrote: »
    except when they have baby roosters

Tesco have 1kg of Roosters for 49c at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

anyone know which of the Aldi spuds I should be looking at for homemade chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Thargor wrote: »
    anyone know which of the Aldi spuds I should be looking at for homemade chips?

Probably the Kerr's Pink - the only Maris Piper's I've seen or tried there is the 'Specially Select' chunky oven chip.

Thanks, dont think Ive seen Kerrs pinks in there though? Always seems to be roosters or whites, both of which dont make for great chips...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Thargor wrote:
    Thanks, dont think Ive seen Kerrs pinks in there though? Always seems to be roosters or whites, both of which dont make for great chips...

Pinks are available in Aldi. Never part of the super 6, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LJ3103

Whites is not the variety, aldi use this as a generic term. You need to look at the bag and see what the variety is. A few weeks back when the had the 1kg of white potatoes as part of the super 6 the variety was in fact Maris pipers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

LJ3103 wrote: »
    Whites is not the variety, aldi use this as a generic term. You need to look at the bag and see what the variety is. A few weeks back when the had the 1kg of white potatoes as part of the super 6 the variety was in fact Maris pipers.
    Is the variety usually printed on the bag? or do they use a code? I wouldn't know what Maris Pipers looked like.

leck wrote: »
    Is the variety usually printed on the bag? or do they use a code? I wouldn't know what Maris Pipers looked like.

Yes it's printed on it, bottom right hand corner there is a square with supplier codes and variety given

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

LJ3103 wrote: »
    Yeah, true. Locally too, Aldi had Maris Piper "whites" as well as the rather poor Cultra variety.

Sadly, it's the Cultra ones that seem to crop up the most.

Maris pipers are generally more expensive than other varieties and I find that when Aldi has them they are not of the same grade say as marks and Spencer's ones

I think the key to cooking mist of the cheap potatoes is to peel them and steam them, take a little longer to cook but the don't go to mush

Jaysus, food and drink thread =>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The peppered sirloins on sale at the minute are delicious. The ones I got yesterday were about two inches thick!

Had them with a baked potato, sauteed mushroom, onion and peas with peppered sauce.

I didnt see them, how much are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Thargor wrote: »
    I didnt see them, how much are they?

€6 for two. (I think)

I only ate one yesterday, and it honestly was more than enough.

The wife, God bless her, a vegetarian, had a nut cutlet

More meaty goodness for banjo this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

New offers:

Iceberg Lettuce (didn't see any in Fonthill just now), cooked beetroot, scallions, salad potatoes (very small bag), cucumber, 6 pack tomatoes - 29c

Round roast (well over 1kg, picked up a decent looking joint, they had plenty in Fonthill), Pork joint, large pack chicken breast, large chicken, lamb steaks - €6

If you get the lettuce, cucumber, scallion and tomatoes and make your own olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, mustard, honey, pepper and salt dressing, like I do, you'd make a very large family salad for just over one euro. That's good going!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If you get the lettuce, cucumber, scallion and tomatoes and make your own olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, mustard, honey, pepper and salt dressing, like I do, you'd make a very large family salad for just over €1. That's good going!!!
    So how much do those cost eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Take that to the dunnes thread

This way http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057433258/1/#post95560526

Some posters seem persistently determined to undermine this Aldi Super 6 thread. Pity.

snubbleste wrote: »
    So how much do those cost eh?

For a large family salad? About 30c I estimate (if you like lots of dressing on your salad, like I do). So 29c + 29c + 29c + 29c + 30c = €1.46 including all ingredients. Enough for a side salad for 6-8 people, or about 20c per person.

New offers:

Iceberg Lettuce (didn't see any in Fonthill just now), cooked beetroot, scallions, salad potatoes (very small bag), cucumber, 6 pack tomatoes - 29c
    !!

It's a week into their Super 6 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95435248&postcount=870

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

New offers:

Round roast (well over 1kg, picked up a decent looking joint, they had plenty in Fonthill), Pork joint, large pack chicken breast, large chicken, lamb steaks - €6

If you get the lettuce, cucumber, scallion and tomatoes and make your own olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, mustard, honey, pepper and salt dressing, like I do, you'd make a very large family salad for just over one euro. That's good going!!!

Hasn't it been this price for the last week ?
    Has in my nearest aldi

My bad! I obviously hadn't been in an Aldi for over a week - the offer looked fresh to me, pardon the punch :)

Super 6 from Thursday 28th May until Wed 10th June

Aubergine each
    Avocado 2 pack
    Kiwi 6 pack
    Lemons 4 pack
    Cherry Tomatoes 250g
    Courgettes 400g................All 39c

Premium Pork Loin Chops 650g
    Angus Steak Mince 454g
    Marinated Chicken Escallops 320g
    2 pack Salmon Fillets 240g................All €3

Turkey Joint 1kg
    Angus Striploin/Ribeye 454g................All €9

Angus rib eye.........yesssssssss

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That Super 6 gives a great excuse to fire up the BBQ, rib eye steaks, steak mince to make burgers and then a side of aubergine, courgettes and cherry tomatoes on skewers and grilled, delish=)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Savage them ribeye steaks are so good.

• Advertisement

I prefer the €3 striploin they do personally, maybe I was raised on cheaper cuts of meat but they turn out spectacular for me with a load of onions and mushrooms, found the rib eyes a bit small and a bit meh.

Advertisement