Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI SUPER 6 - Now starts Thursdays UPDATED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Good, went with the Aldi ones myself when there was none in Lidl Bray.

Im eating crazy amounts of steak these days, cant resist it when its only €3 or less and it comes out of the airfryer cooked to perfection, got one of the Aldi double packs of ribeye for €4 the other day, 30% off marked price sticker on it even though there was still 2 days until the use by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Thargor wrote: »
    Good, went with the Aldi ones myself when there was none in Lidl Bray.

Im eating crazy amounts of steak these days, cant resist it when its only €3 or less and it comes out of the airfryer cooked to perfection, got one of the Aldi double packs of ribeye for €4 the other day, 30% off marked price sticker on it even though there was still 2 days until the use by date.

steak on an airfryer? Are you high?

8 minutes in an Airfryer will give you the tenderest steak you ever ate, Ill never go back to a pan now, only the barbeque does it better, here's one I did earlier:

9koPzI9.png?1

8 minutes in an Airfryer will give you the tenderest steak you ever ate, Ill never go back to a pan now, only the barbeque does it better, here's one I did earlier:

9koPzI9.png?1

I like it rare, is 8 minutes for medium?

8 minutes is medium but leaning towards the rare side of medium, nearly tastes rare and looks medium with lots of juices, 6-7 minutes there might still be a line of pink in the middle Id think. This was after heating the airfryer for 5 minutes beforehand aswell at max. The thickness was the regular thickness you get in Aldi steaks, 1.5-2 cm.

• Advertisement

do you let it rest afterwards or tuck right in?

I never understood letting meat rest but it takes a couple of minutes to wipe down the Airfryer with kitchen towel afterwards so its sitting on the warm plate with the mash for a few minutes before I eat it if that counts? Give it a try if you have one, Im turning into an addict. It should be healthier than the pan anyway as you get a glass of grease in the driptray while the meat remains nice and juicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I never understood letting meat rest but it takes a couple of minutes to wipe down the Airfryer with kitchen towel afterwards so its sitting on the warm plate with the mash for a few minutes before I eat it if that counts? Give it a try if you have one, Im turning into an addict. It should be healthier than the pan anyway as you get a glass of grease in the driptray while the meat remains nice and juicy.

Sounds great, I must try it in my airfryer, what temperature do you use ?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Sounds great, I must try it in my airfryer, what temperature do you use ?
    Thanks

would also like to know the temp, any other tips for the airfryer would be great, im off to aldi now for some steak

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Jaysus lads food and drink > recipes > that away -> :D

• Advertisement

200 deg C, max temp. give it 5 minutes to preheat first aswell. Dont even have to turn it, you can put some sliced raw onions on top of the steak and they'll fry as it cooks. Sorry for o/t :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

200 deg C, max temp. give it 5 minutes to preheat first aswell. Dont even have to turn it, you can put some sliced raw onions on top of the steak and they'll fry as it cooks. Sorry for o/t :D

I can recommend this but seal it first in a frying pan, 30 seconds each side will do, lovely juicy steak.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Do the super six change in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Do the super six change in the morning?

No. Next Week:

2uzwk5y.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thanks! The app actually just says the from date not the 'too'

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Thanks! The app actually just says the from date not the 'too'

'to'
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

'to'
    ;)

Is it not 'until'
    :confused:

Ive noticed the quality of the super 6 going way down. Nothing seems to last the week. Potatoes went wet and rotten, threw out a furry lemon from last weeks lemon/lime tray, tomatoes barely last a week. I understand they're cheap for a reason, but we've noticed alot shorter shelf life these last few weeks.

Edit: Also had to throw out some blueberries, that didnt last, last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Ive noticed the quality of the super 6 going way down. Nothing seems to last the week. Potatoes went wet and rotten, threw out a furry lemon from last weeks lemon/lime tray, tomatoes barely last a week. I understand they're cheap for a reason, but we've noticed alot shorter shelf life these last few weeks.

Aldi went with the cheapest quotes during Tender process.
    That results in the cheapest produce being put into the shops. You reap what they sow.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

A furry lemon?.... christ.. thought I was in the wrong part of boards for a minute..

For me, Super Six has dipped also. I was particularly upset on the meat offers this week aswell, the chicken was 4, used to be 3, and it was just a bit beaten.

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote: »
    A furry lemon?.... christ.. thought I was in the wrong part of boards for a minute..

For me, Super Six has dipped also. I was particularly upset on the meat offers this week aswell, the chicken was 4, used to be 3, and it was just a bit beaten.

A low point was the "8 chicken fillets". It was 4 chicken fillet, all cut in 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Agreed. The avocadoes a couple of weeks back were v disappointing. Price seemed good so I stocked up, but they never ripened properly, they were beginning to go bad while they were still much too firm to eat.

I wonder if the Super 6 are packaged up too early for the deal as they have to get so much produce out to the stores to hit the shelves on the same day. And usually the packages are specially sized so it's not like they would have been in the store otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

I think it can be a bit of hit & miss, previously I've had stuff go off really quickly, then the next week its really good. I ate my last avocado today & it was lovely! But you do have to wonder when its so cheap, of course its not always going to be top quality, it couldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

It is the volume that plays a big part in this.

You go from selling 50-100 packs a day to 500-1000 a day.

Multiply it by number of stores...

Moan, moan, moan, just don't buy the stuff ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

The apples in the current are much better than the one's from a while back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,005 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Ive noticed the quality of the super 6 going way down. Nothing seems to last the week.

A victim of its own success? The quantities sold of the super 6 veg must be unreal. Logistical nightmare I would think.

I too have seen some poor quality / poorly lasting veg, but generally a bit of common sense can help

Did you stick the lemon / limes in the fridge as soon as you brought the shopping home? I did (fridge is set to 2C, so fairly cold too) and mine are still fine. Blueberries in general have a very short shelf life, we usually eat them on the day we buy them (from whatever shop)

And I never buy potatoes from the super 6 as they usually are some sort of inferior variety to start with (like whites), except when they have baby roosters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

unkel wrote: »

And I never buy potatoes from the super 6 as they usually are some sort of inferior variety to start with (like whites), except when they have baby roosters

FYI Most of the time you'd be right, they're those nasty soapy "cultra" spuds, but sometimes you'll find a boxful of bags of Maris Pipers in there too; I think this happens when their supplier runs out of crap spuds so aldi/tesco have to buy the better quality ones to keep the offer going. I always check the potato variety any time they have an offer on white spuds and most of the time I get a few bags of maris pipers for well under the normal price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

Super 6 from Thursday 14th May until Wed 27th May

Iceberg Lettuce
    Cooked Beetroot 500g
    Micro Salad Potatoes 400g
    Cucumber each
    Scallions bunch
    Tomato 6 tray................All 29c

Irish Round Roast 1.16kg
    Pork Loin Joint 1kg
    8 Chicken Fillet Portions 824g
    Large Ham 2kg
    Jumbo Whole Chicken 2.2kg
    Lamb Leg Steaks / Rump Steaks 480g................All €6

• Advertisement

^^^^

Good super 6 that. Great stuff there for salads, chicken and ham salads, nice, just need some nice weather now :rolleyes:

Advertisement