Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Judging from Eoin & Ken's tone, there was a moment there where they could have gone back at Marcotti abit harder but backed down a bit.
    Sensible, as Marcotti can get stubborn & it would be car-crash listening.

Marcotti's fixation on the "we decided" (to give the WC to Russia) was irrelevant.
    At this point, confirming the stitch-up & the reasons why it occurred is more important than spreading (diluting) blame on the "who" side of things.

And its not like Blatter is one for press grilling.

*Edit: Snap Donnie, I think we are making similar points....
    Who the "we" are at this point is distracting.
    What matters in the first & foremost is the Blatter supervised stitchup

• Registered Users Posts: 19,591 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I don't know if he's admitted it before, but it would also seem, whoever "we" may be, that Sepp has just stated he believes Qatar is the wrong place to hold a World Cup.

Edit: And Second Captains is great...just to stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Had forgotten what a complete asshat Marcotti can be at times...he was very boorish, condescending and arrogant in that interview.

The lads did well to make it through to the end without saying "Seriously Gabby...are you high? Drunk? You're talking through your hoop".

I used to listen to the Game podcast a bit and Marcotti can have good days and bad days but most of the time he's unbearable....or freaking unbearable as he would say himself

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Had forgotten what a complete asshat Marcotti can be at times...he was very boorish, condescending and arrogant in that interview.

The lads did well to make it through to the end without saying "Seriously Gabby...are you high? Drunk? You're talking through your hoop".

I used to listen to the Game podcast a bit and Marcotti can have good days and bad days but most of the time he's unbearable....or freaking unbearable as he would say himself

I'd agree with that. At least when Phillipe Auclair discusses this topic, its much more cutting.

Just on contributors to the football show, I miss listening to Ken and Graham Hunter arguing about football. is it likely he will reappear?

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    I'd agree with that. At least when Phillipe Auclair discusses this topic, its much more cutting.

Just on contributors to the football show, I miss listening to Ken and Graham Hunter arguing about football. is it likely he will reappear?

Graham Hunter seems to be an OTB loyalist...not a fan of him at all to be honest...carries on like every tidbit of gossip from the Barcelona training ground is going to change the future of mankind.

Also, the way Gilroy & Co. pander to him is embarrassing.

Much prefer Sid Lowe on Spanish football

• Advertisement

What's your favourite sting (snippets between segments) & what are the stories behind them?

My personal fave is the recent addition of 2 fans ranting, one Scottish Begbie type & another with the strongest Mancunian accent I've ever heard, played with some Japanese disco funk under it.

closely followed by the bizzare rugby commentary played with 'Colombia' by Oasis.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

What's your favourite sting (snippets between segments) & what are the stories behind them?

My personal fave is the recent addition of 2 fans ranting, one Scottish Begbie type & another with the strongest Mancunian accent I've ever heard, played with some Japanese disco funk under it.

closely followed by the bizzare rugby commentary played with 'Colombia' by Oasis.

The Rugby League one is my favourite.

I also love the one with yer man off The Sunday Game saying something like "paralysis by analysis, statisticians, Clive Woodward...."

Ritchie "How're ye lads...how're ye lads...how're ye lads..."

And the flame haired flame thrower of truth one.

I love them all though. And the US Murph intro, which doesn't really count, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I love the dichotomy of sampling Shane Curran into a Kanye West tune.
    WHAT A DAY FOR ROSCOMMON!

https://soundcloud.com/secondcaptains/kanye-west-v-shane-curran

Like all the current stings...slight favourite at the moment would have to be the ranting fans mixed with Japanese techno funk.

Any music boffins out there know who the band/DJ is? That would really liven up the drive to work in the mornings :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭bren2001

Like all the current stings...slight favourite at the moment would have to be the ranting fans mixed with Japanese techno funk.

Any music boffins out there know who the band/DJ is? That would really liven up the drive to work in the mornings :cool:

Die Antwoord - Baby's on Fire. They are a South African group, not Japanese.

bren2001 wrote: »

Nice one - cheers :D Will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

I believe it's a track by a South African group called Die Antwoord. I don't really know much about them but they featured prominently in that movie Chappie. From the little I've seen of their music videos they would appear to be massive a**eholes.

bren2001 wrote: »

beaten to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Still love the Robbie Robbie Keano one!
    Stop it, stop it!

Still love the Robbie Robbie Keano one!
    Stop it, stop it!

love it. I remember one of the first times they played that, Ken was actually in LA to interview Robbie Keane. Ken's reaction to it was hilarious: "is that... Duffman?!"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I love the John Delaney one with Sia in the background.

And the Clough one, "I want to win the league but I want to win it better!".

• Registered Users Posts: 34 A Shopkeeper

I like the PBeso one. At least I think it's that one....The one where you hear the fella shouting 'Sh1te in a bucket'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

I saw a video of Effin Eddie on Facebook the other day, reminded me of Murph's Country Pages and the music they used to play in the background during it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I really like the Ger Loughnane "Tonight... Tonight... ". It cracks me up every time :D

I enjoyed listening to Ken talk about Mourinho on the football podcast yesterday.

• Advertisement

Ha, yeah, actually, the Loughnane one is the greatest.

Actually heard my least favourite one on the Football show from earlier in the week – the B-Hop I’m an Alien one…..goes on for too long and kinda annoys me for no particular reason.

Also, spent some time looking at Die Antwoord videos last night – they’re clearly inspired by/ripping-off Aphex Twin and a whole load of other weird sh1t from the mid 90’s.

The sample that the podcast uses (which I suspect itself is from a remix/re-edit) is easily their best work based on the samples I endured last night

Actually heard my least favourite one on the Football show from earlier in the week – the B-Hop I’m an Alien one…..goes on for too long and kinda annoys me for no particular reason.

Also, spent some time looking at Die Antwoord videos last night – they’re clearly inspired by/ripping-off Aphex Twin and a whole load of other weird sh1t from the mid 90’s.

The sample that the podcast uses (which I suspect itself is from a remix/re-edit) is easily their best work based on the samples I endured last night

Yep, the sting makes pretty good use of that sample but the majority of their stuff seems pretty crappy. To top it off, the frontman, "Ninja", is a a total d**k:

http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/2015/03/ninja-from-die-antwoord-was-allegedly-a-huge-pain-in-the-ass-during-chappie/

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I'd love the lads to drop one of the two slots they have for guests on the football show and fill the gap with Ken giving his thoughts. The best part of the show is generally 'Ken Early's...report on sport'.

I'd love the lads to drop one of the two slots they have for guests on the football show and fill the gap with Ken giving his thoughts. The best part of the show is generally 'Ken Early's...report on sport'.

Just make the show longer. That's what I say.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Press conference Ken was talking about

Yeah, they could extend the show, the old OTB show really only had 6 hours of content, the first half hour was just them going through the headlines and an hour an night was taken up by ads/news, the main podcast does get a bit predictable when it's just GAA/Rugby all the time, I'd love if they covered more of the obscure stories they used to do when they had more time to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I can't be the only one that remembers the sting they had of Shay Given back in the OTB days.

Ken had recorded an interview with Shay and after they had put it out on the radio someone had texted in drawing attention to Shay's continous sharp intake of breath throughout before he answered Ken's questions; they said sounded like he was inhaling on a spliff the whole time.

Soon enough they had a sting sampling a high pitched version of Shay's audio from the interview, complete with reggae backing-track. Gas stuff.

On an earlier topic: I'd be in favour of more Ken Early's report on sport. For all his flights of fancy and playing the devils advocate, he's one of the few football podcast people out there whose reporting is actually getting better as time goes on. I think he's a legitimitely good journalist. He's funny, but his analysis of things is usually fairly insightful to boot. I was listening to Guardian Football weekly earlier in the week and it was rubbish. No-one seemed interested and that seems to happen a lot there these days. I used to listen religously for years, but I don't bother half the time any more. Barry Glendinning is a marvel: he seems to take pride in not watching anything but Premiership football, which is an amazing trait in a football journalist.

Arghus wrote: »
    I was listening to Guardian Football weekly earlier in the week and it was rubbish. No-one seemed interested and that seems to happen a lot there these days. I used to listen religously for years, but I don't bother half the time any more..

+1

My journey into sports podcasts started with the Guardian.
    Aside from the occasional input from guest contributors like Rafa Honigstein or Phillipe AuClair & the ever rarer Jonathan Wilson, its genuinely an insight free zone.

All the in-house hacks appear to be there by roster compulsion & could not even pretend to be less interested.

Taking the 'Football Ramble' as an example, its a much better podcast.
    Much funnier & easily better punditry (Luke Moore is quite good).

But yes, I cannot see any issue with just making the podcast longer.
    It seems Eoin needs to cut off Ken while he is in full flow so they can play that Rabbo Bank ad.

ahh now....don't be slagging the Guardian podcast lads :D

I'll acknowledge it may not be at the cutting edge of sports journalism but always worth a listen imho.

It's worth listening to for James Richardson's introductions alone :D ......"Chelsea spanked at home yet again like a naughty Victorian step-child" :pac:

re: Ken - have been following Ken on various formats for years now and could listen to him wittering on about anything tbh. The Football show is probably just about the right length though I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I went off the Football Ramble a few years back. Got a bit blokey banterific.

And everything had to be an hilarious segment like Zlatan's Zeppelin or Iker Grove. It was one sound effects board away from becoming a morning zoo show.

Still like Pete though, I was delighted to hear him on Absolute Radio last time I was over yonder.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement