Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I generally skip the GAA bits on the main show. Maybe I'll listen if something jumps out as I'm scrubbing through or if it grabs me straight from the off, but usually I'll skip. Have started skipping rugby a bit recently too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Am I the only one who only listens to the soccer pod? It's not the only sport I'm into but I feel the other one has too much GAA!

I listen to the soccer one too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,101 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Am I the only one who only listens to the soccer pod? It's not the only sport I'm into but I feel the other one has too much GAA!

Me too. Will only tune in to the other one if there's something specific in the summary that interests me. For me Second Captains is all about Ken so if he's only doing a bit part I'm not that bothered...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've only started listening to these quite recently. I watched the last TV series and got into the podcasts that way. (had a bit of trouble figuring out how to get the podcasts onto anything mobile for listening but finally I'm a regular listener)

Does Ken only watch soccer though? Or is it just his area of expertise? He seems to contribute very little to the other podcast and when he does it often sounds like he's a casual viewer of whatever sport it may be they're discussing.

Thought their coverage of the Adam Goodes story the other week was excellent too. I am a rugby fan so I don't mind the coverage there but I'm guessing with the World Cup coming up there'll be a lot if it for the next while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Does Ken only watch soccer though?

Yep. He was was Newstalk's Football Correspondent for about 10 years. Although, he has been getting into MMA a bit lately.

• Advertisement

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Yep. He was was Newstalk's Football Correspondent for about 10 years. Although, he has been getting into MMA a bit lately.

Aye, I heard his report from Vegas. Big fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I'll listen to the Thursday podcast to catch US sports (which is too focused on rounders.... I think US Murph has little regard for the NFL).
    Both Monday & Thursdays footie podcast will get a listen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

buyer95 wrote: »
    Have to disagree lads, I'm a kerryman but I enjoy Mcconville every time he's on. Excellent analysis from him always, a cut above the boys in RTE. He called it on Thursday that he could see the Mayo Donegal game going the same as the last time both teams met in the championship. His banter is very good as well, he obviously gets on well with the lads. An integral part of the show.

Fully agree. He definitely doesn't come across as snotty, as suggested by another poster. He is also capable of delivering an unbiased view which is rare amongst GAA pundits on Irish radio. I think himself and Moyles have a good rapport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Aidric wrote: »
    Fully agree. He definitely doesn't come across as snotty, as suggested by another poster. He is also capable of delivering an unbiased view which is rare amongst GAA pundits on Irish radio. I think himself and Moyles have a good rapport.

Moyles recounting of his feeding frenzy following Meath's loss to Westmeath was priceless....one of the funniest things I've heard on the show :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,591 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Moyles recounting of his feeding frenzy following Meath's loss to Westmeath was priceless....one of the funniest things I've heard on the show :D

Heh, that was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Aidric wrote: »

That was me saying he sounds snotty. I actually think he knows what he's talking about, his analysis is good, I just find the sound of his voice brutal to listen to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Haha, getting into MMA is one way or putting it!

Uncle Jim is fantastic on this.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Uncle Jim is fantastic on this.

Was just coming to post the same. Jaysus you'd love to be a fly on the wall at Christmas when he's around. :pac:

One or two episodes behind as usual but really enjoyed the recent soccer show where they interviewed the Nigerian journalist.

Very interesting and would like to hear more from that guy tbh....sounds like African football admin is pretty nuts.

Also, I genuinely lol'd while mowing the lawn at the comment from Eoin at the end wondering if there was a Nigerian podcast somewhere discussing the relationship between Martin O'Neil and Tony O'Donoghue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Was just coming to post the same. Jaysus you'd love to be a fly on the wall at Christmas when he's around. :pac:

Seems like a great guy. And he dropped in a reference to the Band. A class act.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    One or two episodes behind as usual but really enjoyed the recent soccer show where they interviewed the Nigerian journalist.

Very interesting and would like to hear more from that guy tbh....sounds like African football admin is pretty nuts.

Also, I genuinely lol'd while mowing the lawn at the comment from Eoin at the end wondering if there was a Nigerian podcast somewhere discussing the relationship between Martin O'Neil and Tony O'Donoghue.

Ha, that was brilliant.

We've a special secret guest...the "Coach, where did you get it all wrong?" fella.

He seemed much more reasonable than that soundbite makes him seem.

Meanwhile OTB mentioned by Eoin again yesterday. That 4 or 5 times in the past few weeks. Not that it means anything, but odd after not having mentioned before.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ha, that was brilliant.

We've a special secret guest...the "Coach, where did you get it all wrong?" fella.

He seemed much more reasonable than that soundbite makes him seem.

Meanwhile OTB mentioned by Eoin again yesterday. That 4 or 5 times in the past few weeks. Not that it means anything, but odd after not having mentioned before.

Yeah...I got the feeling that the guys were a bit embarassed almost for taking the p1ss out of him for 12 months.

Would be interesting to have that guy as a regular guest...an alternative version to US Murph :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I would love to have been on that train with Uncle Jim and Jimmy Magee going through the Pampas! I could listen to him all day.

Murph's anguish about the demise of his Argentina '78 tea towel struck a chord. I have a treasured Second Captains John Mullane Skills of Hurling tea towel at home. I must find a suitable place for it before it gets conscripted to drying duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Oh to be a fly on the wall on that train, Jimmy and Jim going at it hammer and thongs over who were the 10 best Louth footballers of all time, what showband had a hit in 68 in Japan, who lined out at full back for the Carlow hurlers in the 71 championship etc.

• Advertisement

buyer95 wrote: »
    Oh to be a fly on the wall on that train, Jimmy and Jim going at it hammer and thongs over who were the 10 best Louth footballers of all time, what showband had a hit in 68 in Japan, who lined out at full back for the Carlow hurlers in the 71 championship etc.

Was with you up until the thongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

If there's more to this story about doping in Toulon we're going to get some great episodes in the future. Their coverage of Lance Armstrong's downfall was what really got me hooked on Off the Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Still irritating that it's still downloading last year's podcasts on iTunes when you go to refresh. Been like that for months now. Thought they would have fixed it as this stage.

That boxing book interview was fascinating.

That boxing book interview was fascinating.

Yeah. I like when they do something a bit out of the ordinary. It's a nice break from the GAA/Rugby heavy shows. Even as a fan of both it can get a bit boring at times.

I freaking love that piece of music they used on Monday's show with the clips from the Ireland Vs. NZ game. It's by far one of their best IMO. Or maybe I just haven't heard it in a while.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I freaking love that piece of music they used on Monday's show with the clips from the Ireland Vs. NZ game. It's by far one of their best IMO. Or maybe I just haven't heard it in a while.

The contrast was interesting....

The Irish commentators were much more emotional & full of hope... the Kiwis, a calm expectation that it would come good in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

I for one am looking forward to Ken's report on the Japan V SA game on Monday. It will be memorable

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Loved Ken on Adriaan Strauss

"He looks like a demented priest"

• Advertisement

Saffers don't forget arm day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement